About levelling as a Mage

Rudyraccoon

About levelling as a Mage

Post by Rudyraccoon » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:12 pm

Well, I know that Frost is often considered the go to spec for levelling for obvious reasons but I've noticed that the Blizzard AOE spec is a pretty popular variety of the spec, but I would have thought playing the game that way would be pretty dangerous to do for the hardcore challenge.

And I take it that Fire is no good for levelling?

Darktifa

Re: About levelling as a Mage

Post by Darktifa » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:30 pm

Fire is perfect for HC, if you don't have the experience for aoe farming (or just wanna play safe)
only disadvantage is no Ice block --> cold snap
Czasku wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Rudyraccoon

Post by Rudyraccoon » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:50 pm

Oh, neat. Although I'm not completely familiar with the talent setup but for the main setup it be something like this?
https://talents.turtle-wow.org/mage/0-UW27C3JV-0I

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:06 pm

I played this way till 40

Czasku wrote:
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Rudyraccoon

Post by Rudyraccoon » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:37 pm

I see, well what about the rest of the talent points? Do you normally put them into Arcane, or can you put them anywhere like more into Fire, or into Frost?

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:34 pm

At 59 LvL, this is my talent build
I picked arcane tree for Arcane Concentration and Arcane Resilience

I have heard that Arcane tree is also fun/optimal in TWoW, but haven't tried it yet!

Czasku wrote:

Rudyraccoon

Post by Rudyraccoon » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:15 pm

I see. Well, I came up with this.
https://talents.turtle-wow.org/mage/F0506-ZW21F2JV-0I

I figured it might be better to have Impact to deal with mobs as they run towards you, and Elemental Precision for more guaranteed hits from your fire spells, like imagine using Pyroblast as an opener, and then it misses.

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:40 pm

To sum it up, level up your talents, in a way that fits your playstyle
there is no right or wrong build...
Czasku wrote:

Rudyraccoon

Post by Rudyraccoon » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:37 pm

Okay, thanks. ^w^

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:08 am

~ Blood Mage ~
My hc fire aoe build:
https://talents.turtle-wow.org/mage/F25C8-5U2JF3JV
Focus only on Intellect, always use Mana Shield, aggro multiple mobs, then:
Flamestrike (lower rank)
Flamestrike (max rank)
Frost Nova
Blast Wave
-repeat-
Flamestrike dot stacks only from different ranks. The aoe will trigger clearcasting, making the next spell free, but if the aoe spell crits at least on one mob (and it will), the mage gains 30% of its cost as mana (which is the mages health with mana shield), effectively making spells generate mana instead of costing. Between impact/blink and frost nova they are kept at bay, they go down before mana shield does, however feel safe to tank them with always more than 25% mana left. The gameplay feels like a Fire Blood Elf with spell vampirism or like a fiery battle-mage. On single target open with Pyroblast, then Scorch/Fire Blast (which should also be used to finish off mobs after most die in aoe). It can be risky, but also rewarding. I don't recommend it, but for me it worked.

An alternative route that uses rank 1 Blizzard/Nova to trigger Freeze and 40% crit chance to be used on fire aoe spells, gaining even more mana (life while mana shield is on) from master of elements + clearcasting, it sacrifices improved mana shield but has better kiting capacity:
https://talents.turtle-wow.org/mage/F05-5U2JC31-CIKI70O
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB