Shadowpriests in PVE?

Maurinch

Shadowpriests in PVE?

Post by Maurinch » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:24 pm

Hello,
Is Shadowpriest are good in the PVE ? And in if raids have more than one spriest? In boss fights do they run out of mana? Just wanna know before leveling one. Havent played raid content yet.

Bigsmerf

Re: Shadowpriests in PVE?

Post by Bigsmerf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Shadow is perfectly viable and the healing/utility and overall group support you bring is more than welcome. Optimal raid groups likely won't always be bringing more than one shadow priest, but that doesn't mean they won't. Mana problems are slightly less apparent here but they're still very present. Of course, you've got wanding to circumvent that, but that was always a thing, so that's kinda obvious.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:38 pm

Spriest literally has infinite mana in raids and their damage output is very high considering the utility. Definitely a top tier pick.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:49 pm

Gantulga wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:38 pm
Spriest literally has infinite mana in raids and their damage output is very high considering the utility. Definitely a top tier pick.
Shit, really? Where's that infinite mana coming from? Are the changes really that influential at endgame?
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:07 pm

Bigsmerf wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:49 pm
Gantulga wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:38 pm
Shit, really? Where's that infinite mana coming from? Are the changes really that influential at endgame?
If you look at my armory page (Drushadowmor) it wasn't until I started over 350-400 shadow power mark where I really started to notice it. I was at 435 last week or something and I maybe drank 2 teas during aq40 and iirc it was both for health reasons. Brilliance aura from a mage can help as well or mana spring from an ele shaman. We are fortunate enough to generally have a comp that supports that though. I'm very happy with where I'm at rn.

Quidoba

Post by Quidoba » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:01 pm

When it comes to mana issues, shadow priest on TWOW plays a lot more like a mage in classic than a shadow priest in classic. You don't have infinite mana, but it is pretty manageable, and gets better and better as you accumulate more gear.

The difference is attributable to: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?spell=45553

Just like in classic, you don't need to get as much hit. Also crit is of little value. So you can itemize for some mp5 and even spirit (you can get 30% regen while casting due to improved shadow form + talents).

In low end gear, I see shadow priests consistently out-damage mages and warlocks (re-itemization of mage and warlock t1 might level this difference). At high end gear, shadow priests begin to fall behind. At high end gear, smite spec actually out damages shadow spec, but you probably lose more utility for the overall raid than is worth the small dps bump. Smite is fun to do on raids you have on farm.

Priests are pretty well PVE balanced on TWOW imo. Spriests slap in pvp.

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:12 pm

believe it or not you have so much mana as a shadow priest you can afford to bubble your comrades without going oom. Sartura and Cthun are both good fight for doing this since you really want to keep classes that can stun alive so bubbling a rogue before the tentacles pop is a good idea.

Luxlorica

Post by Luxlorica » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:50 am

Maybe when you get to level 30 or 40 priests can do something. But the leveling process is pain in a can. Solo, they are hot wet garbage.

If you want to play a priest go ahead and get a babysitter because you will need one.