Estimated population at launch and faction balance on the fresh realm

Fastideus123

Estimated population at launch and faction balance on the fresh realm

Post by Fastideus123 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:50 pm

Hi there,

As someone who's new to turtle wow, I'd like to ask :

-what kind of population can we expect in two days? Is it gonna be big or mostly "ok-ish"? Thanks a lot.

-Do you think horde or alliance is going to be the dominant faction in terms of numbers?

Bigsmerf

Re: Estimated population at launch and faction balance on the fresh realm

Post by Bigsmerf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:55 pm

A poll was made recently regarding the population, and out of the people who did answer, more of them went with horde. I'd say a rough 55/45 split. Now, this doesn't entirely determine the whole population, but I remember around 600 people or so answering, so it's probably a pretty decent chunk.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Wafflecrusher

Post by Wafflecrusher » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Out of the SEA realms the PvP server is about as half as populated as the others from what I've heard, so I'd probably expect a population between 1-2k, though it's hard to tell.

Fresharugula

Post by Fresharugula » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:57 pm

I fully expect at least a 60/40 alliance to horde within the first month. Probably slanted farther in the alliance side. Either that or dead population as people won’t roll the opposite faction if the one they want to roll on is locked like the devs are going to do.

Alliance is already VASTLY more popular
among the turtle community, and then you add Paladin on top of that, horde is just gonna get rolled over on the new server

Vlad8

Post by Vlad8 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:09 pm

[quote=Fresharugula post_id=73674 time=1698245866 user_id=463876]
Either that or dead population as people won’t roll the opposite faction if the one they want to roll on is locked like the devs are going to do.
Last edited by Vlad8 on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:20 pm

The Alliance / Horde split will never exceed a 49:51 split. It will always be like this because the realm will physically prevent players from creating characters for one faction if the opposite faction has 1% more players.

So it is written! So shall it be!

Seriously, though, we don't know what the threshold is because the admins haven't said. My guess is a maximum of 3:2 at any give time, but it might be harsher – like 4:5 or 9:10.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Fresharugula

Post by Fresharugula » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:57 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:20 pm
The Alliance / Horde split will never exceed a 49:51 split. It will always be like this because the realm will physically prevent players from creating characters for one faction if the opposite faction has 1% more players.

Seriously, though, we don't know what the threshold is because the admins haven't said. My guess is a maximum of 3:2 at any give time, but it might be harsher – like 4:5 or 9:10.
You people constantly spamming about the forced balance are brain dead. Preventing people from rolling a faction dosent magically balance the population. People are FAR more likely to not roll a character than to roll one on the faction they don’t want. So sure… go ahead and turn people away and let me know how your population sustains itself

Leyna

Post by Leyna » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 pm

Fresharugula wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:57 pm
Jolikmc wrote:

You people constantly spamming about the forced balance are brain dead. Preventing people from rolling a faction dosent magically balance the population. People are FAR more likely to not roll a character than to roll one on the faction they don’t want. So sure… go ahead and turn people away and let me know how your population sustains itself

Well master mind, it clearly won't help either if they let everyone go to one faction. People want to play in a balanced way more than not to play. People that really wanna get into one faction will play second 1.

Shammylover67

Post by Shammylover67 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:24 am

Fresharugula wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:57 pm
I fully expect at least a 60/40 alliance to horde within the first month. Probably slanted farther in the alliance side. Either that or dead population as people won’t roll the opposite faction if the one they want to roll on is locked like the devs are going to do.

Alliance is already VASTLY more popular
among the turtle community, and then you add Paladin on top of that, horde is just gonna get rolled over on the new server
This is such a huge issue… they have to add shamans to alliance and Paladin to horde to fix this.

Shammylover67

Post by Shammylover67 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:24 am

Fresharugula wrote:
Jolikmc wrote:

You are completely correct. People just will not play if alliance becomes locked.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:48 am

Fresharugula wrote:
Jolikmc wrote:
I don't PvP, so I don't know how things are on the RP-PvE realm. That said, I also don't really give a flying turtle shell whether the population is "balanced" and I think locking the factions based on character population is a stupid and pointless effort.

Let's say you have 1,000 players on each side. How many of them are going to engage in PvP activity? Are you going to make Battlegrounds mandatory so you can claim that "the sides are even"? And then, there's the issues of skill, gear, and class abilities. if they really wanted an even distribution of players doing organized PvP, they'd need to make sure that certain classes fill certain quotas per Battleground queue. After all, how "fair" is would a Warsong Gulch match be if the Alliance had 10 Paladins and the Horde had 10 Warriors, or if the Horde had 10 Shaman and the Alliance had 10 Priests?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. In other words, can have a perfect balance of 1:1, but that doesn't guarantee that 100% of the players are going to be doing PvP activities. I'm pretty sure the Level 60 Battlegrounds are still going to be completely overrun by one side or the other at times – probably Alliance, if you ask the general populous.

Sjc

Post by Sjc » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 am

I'll tell you guys what will happen. Alliance side will fill up on first day since everyone knows Alliance is more popular in classic. Then players will be forced to roll Horde, which will separate people from their friends and clan they want to plan in. Imagine you roll an Alliance priest and 2 weeks later want to roll a Warrior and you are forced to roll a Horde character... You are going to see people complaining they can't play with their friends/clan on forums. What happens from there we will have to see. Unless Horde get a variance of Paladins and Alliance get Shamans I foresee a serious problem.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:18 am

Sjc wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 am
Alliance side will fill up on first day […] Then players will be forced to roll Horde, which will separate people from their friends and clan they want to plan in
Sjc also wrote:Unless Horde get a variance of Paladins and Alliance get Shamans I foresee a serious problem.
I'm just gonna leave this here and not say anything. (:

Shammylover67

Post by Shammylover67 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:19 am

Yes SJC! 100% facts.