May be super unpopular opinion but... I think they should remove Transmog

Mamekumaaa

May be super unpopular opinion but... I think they should remove Transmog

Post by Mamekumaaa » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 pm

IMO, a not-insignificant part of that "classic" feeling--that feeling of adventure and peril and progression--is intrinsically tied to the gear we find throughout the world and our long, long journey to max level.

Beyond just "knowing a power level at first glance", which can be important, getting your gear piece by piece and literally seeing that progression is an unmatched feeling in most games, let alone Vanilla WoW.

Maybe this could be restricted to level 60 or something? Otherwise, I would personally enjoy the game more knowing my ugly green helmet can't be transmogrified into something cooler.

Thoughts?

Leyna

Re: May be super unpopular opinion but... I think they should remove Transmog

Post by Leyna » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:18 pm

I do think this aswell, knowing at first glance... DAMN that guy is cracked- is one of the first memories I have from the game and something I always loved about Classic/Vanilla. You can tell where this guy has been just by having a single look at it, it feels special.

Probably the only ''bad'' thing about turtle WoW. (It probably was a good thing for RP guilds tho, noww that we will have a PvP server maybe it can be looked at)

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:20 pm

transmog is heavily tied to RP, and is a great adition to RP fans and shouldnt be removed

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:29 pm

only an elitist would have a problem with transmog because you are basically saying that people with crap gear should look like crap, not how they want to look

Justdjango

Post by Justdjango » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:48 pm

The pvp server shouldn't have transmog. Seeing someone out in the world and being able to determine how strong they are based on their gear is a good thing.

Leyna

Post by Leyna » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:20 am

Eversongwoods wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:29 pm
only an elitist would have a problem with transmog because you are basically saying that people with crap gear should look like crap, not how they want to look
Dude, ofc if you have crap gear you should look like crap, that's why it feels soo good when you start getting gear. It's not elitist at all. That's why it feels soo god when you get your grey shoulders at low level and why it feels so good when you get your tier ones at 60.

You're not entitled to look like a Power ranger just because you want to, you look what you earn, that's the magic of a classic MMO.

Like they mention above tho, I think it's great for the RP server, I RP myself and it's really awesome for it. Just hoping it may be consider to not add this feature in the PvP one.

Akos1896

Post by Akos1896 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:48 am

No way. I'm all purple but noone takes away my UFO helmet, my skirt, my offhand roses and my main hand transmogged into a mug.

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:04 am

The tmog system is probably the best idea they brought to classic turtle wow. Please dont remove it, we rplayers need it
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Satirical

Post by Satirical » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:27 am

Akos1896 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:48 am
No way. I'm all purple but noone takes away my UFO helmet, my skirt, my offhand roses and my main hand transmogged into a mug.
Blessed schizo man of Azeroth

Foobs

Post by Foobs » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:55 am

Eversongwoods wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:29 pm
+1
wary_turtle_head I'm just here for the GM's replies--Carry on!!

Luxlorica

Post by Luxlorica » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:14 am

I wish tmog was easier to get. I hate that it is locked away behind a resource that only gets more difficult to get the more you need it.

I mean you already have to get the looks, but you also have to farm up tokens.

I am going to have to fake it through someone's raids to get coins and that sucks, for them, for me, all around. But that's what's been decided.

Unfortunate.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:10 am

I'm fine with it being gone on the PVP realm, so that you can tell how tough opponents are.

On the RP realm, you should be allowed to play dress-up. If anything, there should be even more transmog options, like being able to apply cosmetic enchantment visuals to items. It lets you have the character you imagine having. Plus, I think that there's a great feeling of accomplishment when you finally pull your complete transmog together and get to see it all come together for The Look.

Ulfgar

Post by Ulfgar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:21 am

Mamekumaaa wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 pm
Otherwise, I would personally enjoy the game more knowing my ugly green helmet can't be transmogrified into something cooler.

Thoughts?
Transmog is feature that is optional, no one is forcing you to transmogrify your ugly green helmet, yet you want to take away this optional mechanic from others? My suggestion is that you should keep your green helmet and let others enjoy the game the way they want.

Harkus

Post by Harkus » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:14 am

You can disguise your gear with stuff like Noggenfogger and Deviate Delight, so the ''I cannot see how stronk my enemy is'' is dumb
Transmog is awesome for RP and Turtle is great for having it :D

Leyna

Post by Leyna » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Harkus wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:14 am
You can disguise your gear with stuff like Noggenfogger and Deviate Delight, so the ''I cannot see how stronk my enemy is'' is dumb
No, it's not dumb. Why do you think gankers are many times disguised as skeletons or pirates? If you see someone disguised you can asume they're PvPers most of the time. The looks on someone can determine many many things, it's popular knowledge that transmog is generally hated by old WoW players and only loved by RPers... Have it on your RP server, that's great and if they want to put in the PvP server it's their choice but bringing this silly arguments to bring an RP tool to a PvP server... Damn. Then again this is a forum, mostly RPers use forums xd

Harkus

Post by Harkus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:40 am

Leyna wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:06 pm
Harkus wrote:
No, it's not dumb. Why do you think gankers are many times disguised as skeletons or pirates? If you see someone disguised you can asume they're PvPers most of the time. The looks on someone can determine many many things, it's popular knowledge that transmog is generally hated by old WoW players and only loved by RPers... Have it on your RP server, that's great and if they want to put in the PvP server it's their choice but bringing this silly arguments to bring an RP tool to a PvP server... Damn. Then again this is a forum, mostly RPers use forums xd
''It is not dumb because it is already happening in base Vanilla'' that is exactly my argument, you can already disguise yourself, hence it is a dumb complaint about transmog... damn, what a silly argument! I suppose I cannot expect a Pvper to use their brain though xd

Leyna

Post by Leyna » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Harkus wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:40 am
Leyna wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:06 pm
Harkus wrote:
''It is not dumb because it is already happening in base Vanilla'' that is exactly my argument, you can already disguise yourself, hence it is a dumb complaint about transmog... damn, what a silly argument! I suppose I cannot expect a Pvper to use their brain though xd
It's not the same to use a consumable than to alwawys look like a homeless pirate. You can tell the other person is disguised, with transmog you have no idea. Gameplay aside, it's about purity and nobetly, inmersion. The things you do in the game have an impact. With transmog the things you do in game diminish.

I'm going to enjoy the game regardless, but you have to understand the inmersion of a PvP server is not the same as RP.

Have fun.

Dracarusggotham
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Dracarusggotham » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:38 pm

Ask anything for the PvP Server.
Stop asking for remove things from the PvE Server, that's not your problem.

Fresharugula

Post by Fresharugula » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:52 pm

Luxlorica wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:14 am
I wish tmog was easier to get. I hate that it is locked away behind a resource that only gets more difficult to get the more you need it.

I mean you already have to get the looks, but you also have to farm up tokens.

I am going to have to fake it through someone's raids to get coins and that sucks, for them, for me, all around. But that's what's been decided.

Unfortunate.
“I’m going to actively and purposeful make others raid experience worse because I’m selfish”

Sounds like you shouldn’t be using transmog if you have to ruin the experience of others to use it

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:40 pm

I'm not against disabling it in BGs. Also I hope the system gets fixed to not revert your appearances upon item durability changes.

Luxlorica

Post by Luxlorica » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:48 pm

Fresharugula wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:52 pm

[... entitled hyperbole...]
If that's the way to get it, then that's the way to get it. I don't make the rules.

If it was up to me, tmog would be free for all.

But someone had a talk with the good idea fairy and locked it behind a resource system that gets more difficult to acquire the more you need it.

I would never touch a raid if I didn't have to. I am terrible at it. But the gathering requirements are just ridiculous. Pure comedy. So I have to do whats available.

Don't like it? Take it up with the up-ups. If there was another way that was doable, I would do that. But it is what it is.

Bob022

Post by Bob022 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:32 pm

Only reason I approve of T-mog is because so much of the higher-end gear in this game looks unbelievably stupid. It contributed to my leaving the original game. Past a certain point it's very much a case of, the better my guy, the dumber he looks. I hate it. T-mog addresses that issue for folks like me without removing the over-the-top graphics for the portion of the community who likes that stuff. It isn't ideal, but it's acceptable. That's one definition of a compromise, after all--something that leaves us all slightly unhappy.

On a side note, is there any fix to the issue of T-mogged armor reverting to its original appearance (until removed and re-equipped) any time it changes durability?

Satirical

Post by Satirical » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:24 pm

If someone wants to look like a crazy hobo carrying a flower for an off-hand, a club and wearing nothing but rags at 60 but actually in tier 2 so be it.

More power to the players I say. Most people who transmog do so at 60 anyway.

Nahath

Post by Nahath » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:48 pm

I have mixed feelings about transmog, but it's almost always a bad idea for an established server to take something away. For example, look at the recent blowback from the short-lived reduction of raid scaling: Whether or not you like the feature, people gave time (and sometimes money) to this server based on the features and options it has. It feels like a big betrayal for the devs to take it away.
My newly-released Middle Grade book:
I Like Monsters (Except my Teacher)

Game Design:
https://indulgentcreativity.blogspot.com/

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:59 pm

Satirical wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:24 pm
Most people who transmog do so at 60 anyway.
Yeah. Unless you're doing slow mode, you don't really have much access to tokens without some serious dedication, so it's usually not worth the effort to do it when you're changing out gear frequently, so people don't.

Ryo3000

Post by Ryo3000 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:40 pm

Nah keep it in, no reason to remove it

You need to equip the cool gear to have the appearance unlocked and thus look cool, so that person already achieved that power level at some point

And if someone uses transmog to look weaker that's really only a problem if someone else was intending to prey on weaker looking players in PvP instead of trying to fight anyone that could put up a fight and they got duped (in which case I think that's really funny)

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:56 pm

This reminds me of a post I saw on blizz forums when looking for colorblind add-ons the other night. Someone who was colorblind but felt the adding of colorblind accessibility responded that he wouldn't trust himself to keep it off, therefore blizz shouldn't put the feature on.

Actually, I think we should vote on making this the new tmog photo thread. Js.

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:00 pm

Nahath wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:48 pm
I have mixed feelings about transmog, but it's almost always a bad idea for an established server to take something away. For example, look at the recent blowback from the short-lived reduction of raid scaling: Whether or not you like the feature, people gave time (and sometimes money) to this server based on the features and options it has. It feels like a big betrayal for the devs to take it away.
The nice thing about turtle wow is there are always new progging guilds. Many of them, I'm sure, are folks that were in successful classic guilds. I think it 100% goes against the spirit of Turtle WoW. Get 20 buddies together and slowly work toward end game content and just have an experience. None of this "I'm 60, now I can finally play the game". Classic was so stressful. Turtle is the anti-classic

Foobs

Post by Foobs » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:06 pm

Bob022 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:32 pm
Only reason I approve of T-mog is because so much of the higher-end gear in this game looks unbelievably stupid. It contributed to my leaving the original game. Past a certain point it's very much a case of, the better my guy, the dumber he looks. I hate it. T-mog addresses that issue for folks like me without removing the over-the-top graphics for the portion of the community who likes that stuff. It isn't ideal, but it's acceptable. That's one definition of a compromise, after all--something that leaves us all slightly unhappy.

On a side note, is there any fix to the issue of T-mogged armor reverting to its original appearance (until removed and re-equipped) any time it changes durability?
+1
wary_turtle_head I'm just here for the GM's replies--Carry on!!

Zamnilisback89

Post by Zamnilisback89 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:32 pm

Bob022 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:32 pm

God, yes! I remember being devastated at how stupid looking warrior tier 2 looked when they finally updated the models in the BWL patch, Barney the Dinosaur in his edgy phase is what I called it back in the day.

Frantsel

Post by Frantsel » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:44 pm

Good idea! Ill support this!

But only on the pvp server!

Dracarusggotham

Post by Dracarusggotham » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:08 pm

I will give my opinion without throwing out bile releasing my anger.
I never understood why in WoW Vanilla and TBC the better the armor is, the uglier it looks.
Except for a few sets, most of the endgame sets are horrendous in terms of colors and design, the Molten Core sets are decent, but from then on the garish colors and ridiculous designs predominated.
I have to say, the armor designs sold by store vendors are more acceptable than those from Raids and high-level Dungeons, worse when you have to mix armor pieces and the colors contrast abruptly.
This is how I accept the transmog to look how you want without looking like a circus clown with mixed pieces of armor.