The One Ring... of RP addons

Luxlorica

The One Ring... of RP addons

Post by Luxlorica » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:54 pm

Is there an agreed upon RP addon that everyone uses?

I tried turtlerp but it is very broken.

And since that kind of addon only matters if others are using it too, is there one that is recomended?

Kefke

Re: The One Ring... of RP addons

Post by Kefke » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:34 pm

TurtleRP shouldn't be broken. Double check your install? Because that is the one that I and many others use.

Luxlorica

Post by Luxlorica » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:23 pm

Alas, mine is very broken, a global variable in a nil state and nothing works. I got the v1.1.1 installed, it shows up just fine, the gui is there, but touch a button and it just hands out errors.

I tried the 1.1.0 version and no good.

I toddled on over to the discord, there is a long bug report channel with several of these indications from after the patch. Many people having similar problems. But no response from anyone on the development side.

So I am wondering if the app is just busted and people have moved to something else.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:33 am

All I can say for sure is that I use it on my characters, and haven't had any issues. In fact, I just signed in to mess around with it, and confirmed it's currently working for me.

As you can see, there's a fair bit of activity going on. Sorry to hear that it's not working for you, and I hope that you'll be able to resolve whatever is wrong.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:13 pm

Luxlorica wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:23 pm
Alas, mine is very broken, a global variable in a nil state and nothing works. I got the v1.1.1 installed, it shows up just fine, the gui is there, but touch a button and it just hands out errors.
If even one value in your character's TurtleRP.lua file is wrong or misconfigured, it causes the AddOn to completely break. The only way to fix this is to delete each character's individual TurtleRP.lua file, then redo their profiles in the game.

You can open the lua files in a text editor and retrieve your character's profile information if need be. I'd recommend popping that stuff into a text document for future ease of access.

To answer your original question, though, there's nothing like "TotalRP" for vanilla World of Warcraft. "TurtleRP" is the most functional vanilla roleplaying AddOn, but people still use "MyRolePlay" on occasion. Even if one joins the appropriate global channels, the two aren't presently compatible with one another, sadly.
Last edited by Jolikmc on Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Gundrust0

Post by Gundrust0 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 pm

Kefke wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:33 am
As you can see, there's a fair bit of activity going on. Sorry to hear that it's not working for you, and I hope that you'll be able to resolve whatever is wrong.
What version are you using? because the one on TWOW wiki (https://tempranova.github.io/turtlerp/) didn't work for me, granted, i didn't cleared my WTF for any remnants of 'other' versions.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Gundrust0 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 pm
Kefke wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:33 am
What version are you using? because the one on TWOW wiki (https://tempranova.github.io/turtlerp/) didn't work for me, granted, i didn't cleared my WTF for any remnants of 'other' versions.
I used the the same one, so I really don't know. Sorry. I know it sucks to hear "it worked for me", but without knowing your setup, I really wouldn't know where to begin on giving advice.

Luxlorica

Post by Luxlorica » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:39 am

Solution

I removed all the saved variable for the addon, removed the addon, and the reinstalled it and now it works. I can only guess that a saved variable was malformed and that goofed it all up.

But there we go.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:20 am

Congrats! Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Gundrust0

Post by Gundrust0 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Word of advice, install this manually, I was using the GitAddonManager from the wiki and that was the problem. I just installed it manually (freshly downloaded from the same repo) and it works alright.