Turtle HD Project

Redmagejoe

Re: Turtle HD (WIP)

Post by Redmagejoe » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:50 am

Astricon wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:49 am
the custom textures from the twow devs have body hair. my goal is to be as 1-1 as possible but that wasn't a huge priority
Well, that may be extra work for you. Comparing the Forest Troll skins to the normal Troll skins with my HD patch on, I didn't see any body hair.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:05 am

********** UPDATE **********

New patch is available with Forest Troll player skins fixed, courtesy of Astricon.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:34 am

So I don't know what I was seeing earlier but I was wrong about the older textures missing eye colors. However, I did notice while editing the high elves that some textures were not matching what people without the addon might see (just some naming issues possibly) so I will check that for each race. I looked through all customization options that are not premium and here's my current working list from highest to lowest priority:

1. Fix custom dwarf skins with tattoos
2. Fix Night Elf Faces when having black hair option (don't know if this is something I can fix myself)
3. Fix Gnome Female Earring Texture Missing and 2 or more Gnome Male Beards Missing if possible
4. Investigate if Male Tauren Beard Jewelry Textures are out of alignment
5. Verify textures match location for low-def versions
6. (Try to) fix premium skins as reported even though I can't see if the fix works or not unless someone with the skin poses like a model for me
7. @Redmagejoe what's up with the potential Cata goblin models? Is that in the realm of possibility?
[Edit: it seems female forest trolls are missing their bras. I'll try to fix this eventually but I firstly think it's somewhat on brand for them and secondly can't imagine anyone complaining]

Then there's some things I've noticed while playing that are not related to player models that I want to see if I can look into

- Westfall music is...Razor Hill music I think? [Edit: I think it's Barrens actually]
- Level Up sound is replaced with Achievement sound...intentional?
- Missing learn new skill or recipe sound or replaced with a different one
- Would like to add a sound/graphic to judgment. not sure if it is missing or was never there to begin with [Edit: Apparently vanilla never had one to begin with lol. I want my hammer graphic!]
- Would like to investigate if weapon sounds can be replaced with more modern ones. Low priority.
- Deer are way too big. Might try to see if I can scale them down.
- Noticed one of the armored horse mounts was missing textures for its armor doodads
- Might create my own separate patch to remove some of the weapon model replacements and other things just as a preference. I personally don't like seeing the Legion Artifact Weapons in classic.

I also might look into CASC extracting. Don't know if it'll go anywhere but I'll explore it. That would be AFTER all the other things I want to try to do.

No promises on literally anything. Just letting people know what MAY be coming.
Last edited by Astricon on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:37 am

may i suggest making human female heads look young as the original non HD models?
For some reason, blizzard aged humans when the original textures were young.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:15 am

Bittermens wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:37 am
may i suggest making human female heads look young as the original non HD models?
I don't think I see what you see. Post screenshot comparison and maybe I'll look into it if I feel like it

Huma

Post by Huma » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:34 am

I think there are 3 critical things to fix on this patch

Dwarf/Trolls skin fixes (trolls already fixed thanks to Astricon) and Night elves black hair that makes the faces bug.
Premium skins replacement in HD if possible
Goblinns Cata skins

Rest of things like visual spells not matching vanilla stile like priest/mage shields or music/sounds can be customized by anyone, i replaced myself some spells and sounds just by editing it with mpqeditor and deleting the files that you dont like since its pretty straightforward

I understand that its must be to mod this client since it have many custom things which makes the work harder, my list its just a prefference

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:41 pm

Astricon wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:15 am
Bittermens wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:37 am
I don't think I see what you see. Post screenshot comparison and maybe I'll look into it if I feel like it
Put all of the heads HD and Vanilla side by side and see it, same goes to female Night Elves, blizzard for some reason aged the male humans and most female faces when WoD and later updates came out, a retexture making it more like its vanilla counterpart may fix this.

Plus, I did something similar to the Night Elf race mod by Hyperion for Morrowind, which uses vanilla wow head and hair textures as default, though i forgot to upload at nexus later due to time constrains and the fact that i don't know how to work with Morrowind headmeshes, so i had to retexture and fix the mapping on nifskope later and make use of Reforged's night elf faces for it.

Eivindur

Post by Eivindur » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:35 pm

Hello guys! So I got the Legion HD mod here and its great, but I was wondering if anyone could update this mod with updated legion models for the Horde druid glyph of the frostsaber item you can buy with donation reward in the shop?

As it is right now, this white cat model, or frostsaber, has the old vanilla look but the Alliance version is an updated cat that has the Legion model with great textures.

Is it possible to look into why the horde frostsaber is not getting updated HD Legion textures when I buy the glyph of the frostsaber but the alliance do, and is there someone that could help me with it?

Here is the link to what it looks like for horde druid players: images/shop/glyphs/5.jpg

Shroudedsoul

Post by Shroudedsoul » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:20 pm

You all do such great work with this. It really improved the experience for me.

Kelius

Post by Kelius » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:33 am

Hello! Thanks so much for your work, the HD patch really enhanced my gaming experience.

I suddenly have the issue that certain AoE abilities like Consecration, Hurricane, even the blink animation on the ground from the Mage skill Blink stays on the ground and keeps repeating the animation in a loop endlessly. It got to a point where there were so many AoE animations staying and overlapping that I had crashes during a AQ20 raid.

Does anyone else experience this issue or knows a workaround? Removing Patch A solved the issue, but I'd like to play with the HD textures.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:55 pm

Kelius wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:33 am
Hello! Thanks so much for your work, the HD patch really enhanced my gaming experience.

I suddenly have the issue that certain AoE abilities like Consecration, Hurricane, even the blink animation on the ground from the Mage skill Blink stays on the ground and keeps repeating the animation in a loop endlessly. It got to a point where there were so many AoE animations staying and overlapping that I had crashes during a AQ20 raid.

Does anyone else experience this issue or knows a workaround? Removing Patch A solved the issue, but I'd like to play with the HD textures.
Weirdly I have been having the same issue but only on one of my computers...

Silvolt

Post by Silvolt » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:38 pm

Is the sheathing bug something for most weapons? Or will weapons later in the game not have the issue since they're more likely to have a HD counterpart?

Kelius

Post by Kelius » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:39 pm

I found a older version of Patch-A.mpq in my download folder from March 2023 and put that into my Data folder. With that version I do not have any longer the endless repeating animation effects. Guess I am stuck with that version for the time being. If anyone found a solution to how to fix that bug in the current version I'd love to hear it!

Edit : After loading into the old Patch-A.mpq I decided to check the new one again to see the texture difference. I noticed that the bug I was experiencing was gone and the loop animations of the spell effects didn't occur anymore. I am not sure if it helped to force the game to load a different/old patch-A.mpq and then the new one - something must have changed/reset.

Anyway, thats what fixed my issue.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:24 pm

It's likely cache related.

Shroudedsoul

Post by Shroudedsoul » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:05 am

Oh, nice. The High Elves have blue eyes for me now.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:25 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:24 pm
It's likely cache related.
I think I fixed it by deleting my WDB folder. I then became annoyed that the consecration persistent effect was (while no longer infinitely persistent) looping the initial cast animation instead of the persistent animation. I deleted the consecration_impact_base.M2 from Spells folder in patch-A and this solved that problem. Is this file mis-named perhaps?

Edit: after doing all the above it seems the graphic for mage blink is still persisting infinitely. Weird.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:11 pm

patch-C.MPQ

Updated to include HD Dwarf Textures with Tattoos. You can add this to existing patches and it should work until you can download an update to patch-A.MPQ. Some notes:

- Does not include the earthen variation. That's I think a premium skin which I can't see in my game to test unless someone poses for me.
- This was a much more difficult task than the trolls and high elves. I had to re-hand-paint much of the tattoos and the mapping is very different especially for male dwarves. The tattoos do not look as sharp in all cases as they did without the HD mod (because for some reason the face textures are actually LOWER resolution than they were without the HD mod and because in some cases I had to draw the tattoo diagonally whereas it was straight in non-HD, which causes artifacts), but they do EXIST now which means it looks way better than an empty face. The body tattoos did come out mostly nicely, though.
- Unlike with the trolls I was much more frustrated with the dwarves and the effort required to do this task was very high, so there may be more incongruencies in skin tone and eye color between the non-HD and HD version. If you notice something, mention it and I'll make a note of it.
- For females, I tried to color match the skins, but for some reason TurtleWoW devs decided not to use existing skin tones and slap tattoos on so I had to adjust the tone to try to match and after a lot of effort it still didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. In some cases she'll have barely-noticeable lines between two skin tones because of this.
- For males, I decided screw that and just picked the existing skin tones that were the closest possible and put tattoos on them.
- Therefore the textures with tattoos that looked very dusky or dark are less likely to match well to the non-HD versions I think, but if I had tried to do that then this would never have come out. I may try to do better matching in the future.

This is the last MAJOR texture project I wanted to tackle. At this point, there are only niche issues which include black hair on night elves, some missing textures on jewelry, some potentially missing gnome beards, and premium skins (premium skins is possibly? a big project, but I think it'll be relatively easy compared to the dwarves that had 2 genders x 4 skin tones x 10 faces to do)

Gargzz

Post by Gargzz » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:51 pm

I've been using patch a/b for a couple of days and for some reason it just random broke today. It started with significant game stuttering/freezing every ten seconds or so for 1-2 seconds. Then the character models broke completely with severe artifacting. I backed up my addons and deleted the folder I extracted the zip to and started over because I kept getting a fatal memory error.

I decided to run around for a bit without these patches and the game ran very smooth with no wild variation in fps spikes/dips.

I decided to use these textures again and upon loading in the stuttering has returned with fps fluxations standing still in org of +/- 3-6 with an average of 63.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:25 am

Gargzz wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:51 pm
I've been using patch a/b for a couple of days and for some reason it just random broke today. It started with significant game stuttering/freezing every ten seconds or so for 1-2 seconds. Then the character models broke completely with severe artifacting. I backed up my addons and deleted the folder I extracted the zip to and started over because I kept getting a fatal memory error.

I decided to run around for a bit without these patches and the game ran very smooth with no wild variation in fps spikes/dips.

I decided to use these textures again and upon loading in the stuttering has returned with fps fluxations standing still in org of +/- 3-6 with an average of 63.
Oh strange have you tried deleting your WDB folder?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:56 am

The Dwarf patch works great. I'll incorporate it into patch-A and announce an update with a new link sometime this week after acquiring some... misplaced assets.

Astricon, I sent you a forum PM in regards to what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Redmagejoe on Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gargzz

Post by Gargzz » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:37 am

Astricon wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:25 am
Gargzz wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:51 pm

Oh strange have you tried deleting your WDB folder?
I did. Nothing fixed it. Starting fresh seems to be ok so far. Fingers crossed :)

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:33 pm

********** UPDATE **********

New patch-A.MPQ is available with fixed Forest Troll skins and Tattoo Dwarf skins for player characters, all courtesy of Astricon.
Last edited by Redmagejoe on Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shroudedsoul

Post by Shroudedsoul » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:13 pm

That's fantastic .

Just posting here to remind myself to download it after I get off my 12 hour work shift.

Runningjohnny

Post by Runningjohnny » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:54 am

Out of curiousity, how close to completion is this patch currently?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:05 am

I can't give an estimate because it depends entirely upon the contributions of people like Astricon to create new art assets. When all custom skins are compatible, when all NPCs with prebaked textures are fixed, and when all mount textures are compatible, it can be called complete.

Huma

Post by Huma » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:12 pm

can we have fix for black hair nelf faces? seems like most nelfs have black hair and it loots bugged

Gargzz

Post by Gargzz » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:12 pm

*Edit* It turns out I mistakenly put this on my HDD storage instead of my SSD (which is what I usually do). I moved this over to the SSD and it's running great now.

Huma

Post by Huma » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:37 pm

the game runs terrible on teldrassil with this patch, without the patch 300+fps with patch fps drops all the time

Daddysaurus

Post by Daddysaurus » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:07 pm

Does anyone get a strange issue when using this patch that causes the camera to repositon to an odd angle during flightpaths?

Theeoutsider

Post by Theeoutsider » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:22 am

A big thanks to Redmagejoe & Astricon, for this mod and the recent update to trolls and dwarves!!
You two are getting a huge virtual bear hug from this guy!

Imonobor
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Imonobor » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:11 am

Daddysaurus wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:07 pm
Does anyone get a strange issue when using this patch that causes the camera to repositon to an odd angle during flightpaths?
Yes, it seems to be way higher up than it should be, clipping my character into the bottom of the screen.
It may have something to do with new hippogryph/gryphon/wyvern skins/models and some hidden size value perhaps?
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 23 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:25 am

patch-C.MPQ

Updated for Goblins.

You will find some night elf related files in this patch because I'm working on fixing the black hair breaking face issue. Working on the goblin male actually gave me an idea as to what could be the problem (improperly formatted facial hair textures or something of that nature), so hopefully I will be able to fix that soon.

Some notes about this patch

- Parity with non-HD: For female goblins, I tried to match eye color first for their faces. This results in a variety of face types that are absolutely not similar to what the non-HD users will see, but the cata textures I used didn't have many face types that were similar enough to the non-HD faces and also matching in eye color, and I was lazy because the female goblin model was so easy to fix. The scarred face isn't something that exists in cata textures, so I used "old face" textures in those cases usually. I figure it's similar enough. Let me know if this is something that you would like changed in the future--it's not that hard, I just didn't feel like it at the moment.
- I spent days and hours and hours of time trying to solve the goblin male model being shitty looking compared to other HD models. It seems like the model is a cata body with a vanilla goblin head on top, meaning the cata body texture fits like a glove but the face textures result in C'thun. I got as far as importing a cata model into blender but then couldn't figure out how to export it to .m2 and I decided instead to color-match the face textures to the working body textures. I think it actually came out well enough. I used photoshop to smooth out some of the drastic and ugly contrast so the ears and nose aren't so black-lined. I also improved hair texture for both genders including the ugly-ass goblin male facial hair (that was a real pain).
- Skin tones are actually pretty close to what they are in non-HD, and goblin female hair color is pretty exact as well, but goblin male hair color is somewhat different. The cata hair is nicer looking, though, so I went with quality over parity.

I thought the dwarf patch was the last major racial texture fix, but this one was pretty big too. Next one should be black night elf hair issue, if all is lucky. Thanks for all the positive vibes I've been getting, it means a lot since I am struggling in my software engineering job lately!

Maxstaine

Post by Maxstaine » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:10 am

Thank you for this amazing work.

There is a way to use the patch but keep the blue eyes on my high elf?

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:22 am

Maxstaine wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:10 am
Thank you for this amazing work.

There is a way to use the patch but keep the blue eyes on my high elf?
Yes that is already fixed. Just redownload the patch-A from the first page of this forum post

Daithos

Post by Daithos » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:30 am

For context on the Night Elf black hair issue: It gives you "war paint" face.