Status update, your concerns, and the future

Twinking

Re: Status update, your concerns, and the future.

Post by Twinking » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:55 am

We need a Hardcore-only server!

This needs to be done, if only because the hk community is separated from the general mass of players, and this has already been noted in the posts above.
We don't need to transfer old players to the new hk server, this will lead to fully dressed immortal players populating it. Let it be a server with completely open content, without pvp and the ability to farm revival tokens from raid bosses - this will allow you to resurrect level 60 players and not lose interest in the server!

Valk0906

Post by Valk0906 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:00 am

what time lift Ravenshire player capacity???

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:35 am

Torta wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:35 am
Blackduck wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:35 am
Torta wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:25 am
  • Just ban all the Chinese.
Turtle WoW will always strive to provide a comfortable experience for everyone, and never at cost of the others.
Can you just be honest and admit this is largely about money? We're not blind and we're not stupid. We all see the spectral tigers and other store mounts the chinese players are all riding around on at level 10. No one is buying that this has anything to do with political correctness or whatever. The chinese players are simply outspending the rest of us so they're the priority now. You're making bank off of them.

I can respect you cashing out, most people would do the same thing if they had the opportunity but please just be honest about it.
Running this project is costs us a very big amount of money monthly and consumes basically all of our free time, both during our free and working hours.

We have been running this project with the same passion and dedication even when it had 300 online players for two years. Even when the player count dropped to 50, we continued to operate with the same enthusiasm. We have always pledged to keep it online as long as there are players willing to play. Additionally, we have consistently stood against hate towards any groups in our population. Please refrain from insulting me and our team.

There are easier and more efficient ways to "make bank" which do not involve so many challenges and potential risks we're facing while hosting a private WoW server.

Our decision to open another realm (preferably of a different type) is based on our vision that it will attract more EU players and help maintain a strong English-speaking community. We believe that many people who were deterred by the queues will return to play.

We will see first how the third Chinese realm will perform, as well as our efforts to motivate players to migrate to their own regional servers. We're closely monitoring the feedback given on forums, in game, Facebook and Discord.
Right it has nothing to do with money and it's just a big passion project. It's a full time job you don't profit off of whatsoever. If that's true then be transparent. Post the monthly donation earnings and your operating expenses.

The truth is if the Chinese weren't spending money hand over fist they'd be gone or you would have capped the server a long time ago simple as.
Last edited by Blackduck on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:43 am

Ingameacc12345 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:19 am
Blackduck wrote:
We all see the spectral tigers and other store mounts the chinese players are all riding around on at level 10.
Is this true? I haven't been online for over 2 months now so I don't know, but if it's true then just wow.

edit: just to clarify - I have zero problems with staff "making a bank", just don't want it to happen at the cost of the server identity/spirit.
Log on at 10am est and look around. You'll see hundreds of Chinese players with store mounts and illusions or whatever even though they're like level 10 and it doesn't increase their movement speed at all. I never saw that before they started playing.

The spirit of the server is long gone and it died with the first big population boom just before the Chinese joined but at least you could still play the game then.
Last edited by Blackduck on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Einfachnurmav

Post by Einfachnurmav » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:56 am

Blackduck wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:35 am
Torta wrote:
Blackduck wrote:

Can you just be honest and admit this is largely about money? We're not blind and we're not stupid. We all see the spectral tigers and other store mounts the chinese players are all riding around on at level 10. No one is buying that this has anything to do with political correctness or whatever. The chinese players are simply outspending the rest of us so they're the priority now. You're making bank off of them.

I can respect you cashing out, most people would do the same thing if they had the opportunity but please just be honest about it.
Running this project is costs us a very big amount of money monthly and consumes basically all of our free time, both during our free and working hours.

We have been running this project with the same passion and dedication even when it had 300 online players for two years. Even when the player count dropped to 50, we continued to operate with the same enthusiasm. We have always pledged to keep it online as long as there are players willing to play. Additionally, we have consistently stood against hate towards any groups in our population. Please refrain from insulting me and our team.

There are easier and more efficient ways to "make bank" which do not involve so many challenges and potential risks we're facing while hosting a private WoW server.

Our decision to open another realm (preferably of a different type) is based on our vision that it will attract more EU players and help maintain a strong English-speaking community. We believe that many people who were deterred by the queues will return to play.

We will see first how the third Chinese realm will perform, as well as our efforts to motivate players to migrate to their own regional servers. We're closely monitoring the feedback given on forums, in game, Facebook and Discord.
Right it has nothing to do with money and it's just a big passion project. It's a full time job you don't profit off of whatsoever. If that's true then be transparent. Post the monthly donation earnings and your operating expenses.

The truth is if the Chinese weren't spending money hand over fist they'd be gone or you would have capped the server a long time ago simple as.
Any REAL evidence on your claims? i don't think so. So better let those bad accusations.

Akaro98

Post by Akaro98 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:57 am

Hello everyone,

I've been playing since 2021 and first of all I'd like to THANK you, the TurtleWow team, you've done a titanic job. I'm personally proud to see so much enthusiasm around your server, and it's well deserved when you see how far you've come. I sincerely hope that you will continue in this direction.

Has the solution of introducing one or more layers been considered? Is this a possible solution?
For example, a layer that would split the Hardcore and Softcore populations (or at least try to).

I don't think opening a second EU server is the right solution in the long term, even if it's very interesting in the short term. I think we need to be patient and see how the server population reacts to the opening of different Chinese servers.

Have a nice day!
I trust Turtle to sort out the various problems!
Let's be patient :D

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:58 am

Einfachnurmav wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:56 am
Blackduck wrote:
Torta wrote:

Any REAL evidence on your claims? i don't think so. So better let those bad accusations.
If it was actually just a fun passion project then transparency wouldn't be an issue. If it's a business then they have incentive to keep their income and expenses a secret.. Which do you see them doing?

Einfachnurmav

Post by Einfachnurmav » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 am

Blackduck wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:58 am
Einfachnurmav wrote:
Blackduck wrote:

If it was actually just a fun passion project then transparency wouldn't be an issue. If it's a business then they have incentive to keep their income and expenses a secret.. Which do you see them doing?
You really think that'd be a good idea?
One of the most stupid things when running a server that violates activisions intellectual property is to publish your financial figures. As soon as there'd be ANY Plus, that would cause some huge issues.

And always consider: Donating is not Paying. Since i always read some people here who think just because they donated some money, that they can EXPECT something from the Team.

S4rs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by S4rs » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:30 am

you are best server ´=)

Crunshy1512

Post by Crunshy1512 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:56 am

@torta can you confirm if we are getting the second realm? It was said to be public knowledge within a few weeks. Please.

Thank you

Shaman111

Post by Shaman111 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:01 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:08 am
I was literally just going to post what Torta essentially said: None of you zoomers who sit on your asses playing this game, work retail jobs at the mall, work in skilled trade, or any sort of "on the ground" position in whatever career field you occupy have the first inkling of cost of operations of a large-scale online service.

You have no idea what the current costs for robust cloud service and DDoS protection (Cloudflare) costs. You have no idea how much infrastructure that can support 20,000 concurrent handshake connections, including 10,000 data-heavy (see: sending and receiving game data) costs, especially in three different countries where prices and available hardware vary. You have no idea how much the renting and maintaining the infrastructure costs.

If you don't have any idea how much money the team is pouring into this project, especially if you have no idea how much they're actually getting from donations and if they're even staying out of the red despite "these donation items being everywhere", then I suggest you shut the fuck up and quit making yourself look like a jackass. Some of us actually work in the industry and understand just how much money the team is pouring into this project, fully expecting that one-time purchases like mounts and companions are not going to be a long-term sustainable source of income.

I have never seen a single private server blow up so quickly and go to such lengths to expand in response to that popularity in 15 years of private server surfing, and the sheer ignorance, entitlement, and gob-smacking dipshittery I see from players who have been on this server for all of 2 or 3 months is staggering. Players who have been around for well over a year have a reason to be frustrated. You have every right to be anxious, to be frustrated, to be restless, to wish this could all just be resolved and everything running smoothly with the snap of a finger. That's no excuse to act like petulant children and stamp your feet and broadcast your complete and utter lack of understanding of even the most basic facts of network infrastructure and the speed at which solutions can be purchased, installed, configured, and manned.

Be patient or leave. But make your gripes civil and coherent instead of acting like some zoomer who bitches and whines until Mommy and Daddy give you what you want. Making fresh forum accounts with single digit post counts just to whinge about how hard life is for you and to belittle the people who made the game as popular as it is with accusations they've turned into yuan-chasing gremlins. Fucking reprobates, every single one of you.
you will never have a green forum name

Lionheart2023

Post by Lionheart2023 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:17 pm

I couldn't play the game, I was queuing all the time, I couldn't get into the game all day, and I was wasting my life

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:45 pm

Einfachnurmav wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 am
Blackduck wrote:
Einfachnurmav wrote:

One of the most stupid things when running a server that violates activisions intellectual property is to publish your financial figures. As soon as there'd be ANY Plus, that would cause some huge issues.
This is a good point and one I hadn't thought about thanks for bringing it up. However, I think that just the fact that they're opening multiple servers in other countries is already a major red flag and I think it's just naive to think that the decisions we've been seeing over the last few months is motivated by things other than money, especially when you see how much the chinese players are spending compared to the european players. I never saw a spectral tiger until they started playing after all. Now I see them everyday.
Last edited by Blackduck on Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkus

Post by Harkus » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:46 pm

Thank you Torta & co for creating such a wonderful server <3 and thank you for persisting even though many ungrateful people are making baseless and insulting accusations at you.

I am worried about the creation of a second EU server though. I think it will only split the English community whilst not solving the problem of it being flooded by Chinese players. The server is fine at peak EU times and it makes me sad that the community may be split up just because it gets full when it is peak Chinese times. I imagine that a second EU server will have the exact same problem, except now the English speaking playerbase on each EU server would be even smaller :(

Please do not split up the EU community, it is great and it would be a shame to fracture it... I am ambivalent about a US server as it would be nice for our NA friends to have low latency and their peak times of course do not overlap with EU times. I am aware Blizz probably won't take kindly to a US server so maybe it could be hosted in Mexico or something? But yeah I think it would still be best to not have a second English server at all, but rather to keep the Chinese out of the EU realm. Please reconsider your decision Torta! And thank you again for your efforts!

Queenoona

Post by Queenoona » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:25 pm

I FUCKING love turtlewow. i play this game 21 hours a day with 2 hours to sleep and even when i do sleep i wake up SHAKING in a cold sweat wanting to play turtlewow. im PHYSICALLY ill when im not playing turtlewow. this is what i call DEDICATION!!

Crunshy1512

Post by Crunshy1512 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:47 pm

Crunshy1512 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:56 am
@torta can you confirm if we are getting the second realm? It was said to be public knowledge within a few weeks. Please.

Thank you

Wowplaya69

Post by Wowplaya69 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Einfachnurmav wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 am
Blackduck wrote:
Einfachnurmav wrote:

And always consider: Donating is not Paying. Since i always read some people here who think just because they donated some money, that they can EXPECT something from the Team.
Publishing income and expenses that demonstrate the service is not a commercial venture would surely provide some protection to a service that might appear to be one.

Donating is paying, its just optional.

I think torta should have kept twow small, and private, by closing the community (ie: invite only), just one or two realms, as it gets increasingly bigger I'm concerned they'll draw the wrong type of attention dead_turtle_head ... hopefully twow is still here when activision done with its merger, I haven't been outside for a long time and the sky makes me feel dizzy now sad_turtle_head
Last edited by Wowplaya69 on Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azuladrip

Post by Azuladrip » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:58 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
I was literally just going to post what Torta essentially said: None of you zoomers who sit on your asses playing this game, work retail jobs at the mall, work in skilled trade, or any sort of "on the ground" position in whatever career field you occupy have the first inkling of cost of operations of a large-scale online service.

You have no idea what the current costs for robust cloud service and DDoS protection (Cloudflare) costs. You have no idea how much infrastructure that can support 20,000 concurrent handshake connections, including 10,000 data-heavy (see: sending and receiving game data) costs, especially in three different countries where prices and available hardware vary. You have no idea how much the renting and maintaining the infrastructure costs.

If you don't have any idea how much money the team is pouring into this project, especially if you have no idea how much they're actually getting from donations and if they're even staying out of the red despite "these donation items being everywhere", then I suggest you shut the fuck up and quit making yourself look like a jackass. Some of us actually work in the industry and understand just how much money the team is pouring into this project, fully expecting that one-time purchases like mounts and companions are not going to be a long-term sustainable source of income.

I have never seen a single private server blow up so quickly and go to such lengths to expand in response to that popularity in 15 years of private server surfing, and the sheer ignorance, entitlement, and gob-smacking dipshittery I see from players who have been on this server for all of 2 or 3 months is staggering. Players who have been around for well over a year have a reason to be frustrated. You have every right to be anxious, to be frustrated, to be restless, to wish this could all just be resolved and everything running smoothly with the snap of a finger. That's no excuse to act like petulant children and stamp your feet and broadcast your complete and utter lack of understanding of even the most basic facts of network infrastructure and the speed at which solutions can be purchased, installed, configured, and manned.

Be patient or leave. But make your gripes civil and coherent instead of acting like some zoomer who bitches and whines until Mommy and Daddy give you what you want. Making fresh forum accounts with single digit post counts just to whinge about how hard life is for you and to belittle the people who made the game as popular as it is with accusations they've turned into yuan-chasing gremlins. Fucking reprobates, every single one of you.
I cringed reading this. Talk about time and place. Actually embarrassing.

Shaman111

Post by Shaman111 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:01 pm

Azuladrip wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:58 pm
Redmagejoe wrote:

I cringed reading this. Talk about time and place. Actually embarrassing.
imagine lifting devs balls in every thread, barking like a rabid dog and still a nobody now close to 2 years later. time to reroll forum and discord name and try again lmao

Crunshy1512

Post by Crunshy1512 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:03 pm

Can anyone confirm that the second eu server is coming out ??

Geojak
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Geojak » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:05 pm

Yes and it's also now confirmed pvp

Thewalrus

Post by Thewalrus » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:27 pm

Any updates for character transfer and ravenshire server?
Mother superior jump a gun

Geojak
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Geojak » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:42 pm

No transfers. Not for existing sea severs nor to the new eu2 servers.
Eu1 will continue to burn for quite a while longer as long as the sea server suffer insane queues too

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:02 pm

Geojak wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:42 pm
Eu1 will continue to burn for quite a while longer as long as the sea server suffer insane queues too
Sounds lovely.

Gnomoerectus

Post by Gnomoerectus » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:08 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:

Didn't read, but I'm sure one day they'll accept your application as a moderator.

Crunshy1512

Post by Crunshy1512 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:37 pm

When is eu2 coming out?

Ninetyone

Post by Ninetyone » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:42 pm

can you please elaborate more about the second eu realm? will it be a fresh start realm?? where can i see a post about it

Charanko
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Charanko » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Geojak wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:05 pm
Yes and it's also now confirmed pvp
May i ask when and where was it confirmed pvp?
Orky
Overlord of Orgrimmar ; Sulfuron Champion

Grandyman

Post by Grandyman » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:52 pm

Thanks for the efforts with the server, the growth of this place is unlike anything we've seen in the pserver scene and it happened because of a dedicated staff who stuck with this project for the long run.

I just hate the 2nd EU server idea. It betrays the philosophy of the server and will only damage the english speaking community further. Please reconsider this one, fresh is never worth it in the long run.

Charanko

Post by Charanko » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:54 pm

Grandyman wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:52 pm
Thanks for the efforts with the server, the growth of this place is unlike anything we've seen in the pserver scene and it happened because of a dedicated staff who stuck with this project for the long run.

I just hate the 2nd EU server idea. It betrays the philosophy of the server and will only damage the english speaking community further. Please reconsider this one, fresh is never worth it in the long run.
If its pvp it wont effect the main pve server much
Orky

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:59 pm

I would be interested in starting fresh on a pvp server only if they removed battlegrounds. Classic pvp is only cool until like phase 2 or whenever they put the battlegrounds in.

Crunshy1512

Post by Crunshy1512 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Please update us with eu2

Charanko

Post by Charanko » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:09 pm

Blackduck wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:59 pm
I would be interested in starting fresh on a pvp server only if they removed battlegrounds. Classic pvp is only cool until like phase 2 or whenever they put the battlegrounds in.
That would be fun
Orky

Xjanusx

Post by Xjanusx » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:01 pm

Just say it plainly: you are currently rolling in cash from the chinamen and have long stopped giving a f about player experience.

A sad story of greed that ruined a once great server in the short span of 3 months.

gg

Ghola

Post by Ghola » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:21 pm

once again, information spreads like a rumor before any announcement

is the EU server actually gonna be PVP? as much as I would love a pvp server, apparently (according to another rumor without any official announcement) there will be no transfers. And even if there was transfers a good amount of my friends now would not move for PvP, and I wouldn't want to go without them

many PvP'ers who have been asking for pvp updates for years do not want to reroll either and lose their character
Last edited by Ghola on Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.