Mortal Mode: Community Poll

Poll: What shall happen to the mortal characters upon their death?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 pm

I want character locked and not longer available for playing
65%
I want character to become a normal character upon death
35%

Total votes: 92

Lazzer

Re: Mortal Mode: Community Poll

Post by Lazzer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:57 am

On death can we get a server-wide message for toons level 20+? Something Diablo II style would be great.

RIP *character*. Your deeds of valor will be remembered. (Level x *race* *class*)

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:25 am

Lazzer wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:57 am
On death can we get a server-wide message for toons level 20+? Something Diablo II style would be great.

RIP *character*. Your deeds of valor will be remembered. (Level x *race* *class*)
Yes. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Lazzer

Post by Lazzer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 am

Oh hell yeah that's amazing.

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:17 am

as much as I do understand your worries about people trying to "cheat" their way to the 60. I don't see anything wrong with it except they removed the main purpose of the mode away for themselves. So if you wanna go and ruin your "mortal" experience by having a high level friend helping you that's on you.

I don't think restricting player interaction on such a small server is a good idea.

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:54 pm

Jimmicz wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:17 am
as much as I do understand your worries about people trying to "cheat" their way to the 60. I don't see anything wrong with it except they removed the main purpose of the mode away for themselves. So if you wanna go and ruin your "mortal" experience by having a high level friend helping you that's on you.

I don't think restricting player interaction on such a small server is a good idea.
It’s those restrictions that makes the mode worthwhile to complete. Also the entire thing is optional. Keeping your character upon death isnt really any different from just playing normally.

The mindset of the challenge immediately changes the moment you realize that death ends it all, especially the higher level you get. This is also why the ruleset usually has restrictions on items/gear/trading/AH use/grouping as the tension it creates will rise exponentially until 60.

Edit: I’d also add that with respect to what’s possible on editing the client, these restriction might just have to be player enforced either way. Turtle Wow has done many things to surpass/extend vanilla content that we won’t find on other private servers (or even classic wow as off the expansion). Mortal Mode just by existing as a feature with rewards already takes a massive step farther than anything else back on retail.

It’s a win/win either way which outcome they decide to run it, so again I give thanks to the turtle team for their hard work.

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:22 pm

If I gonna run Mortal mode, and boost my char with my main by providing BOE gear, and flasks pots, and whatnot that's my way of wanting to experience the mode and it is on me.

If the dev creates restrictions when it comes to, gear, trading, grouping, AH, etc. you pretty much making a Massive Single Player RPG. You could afford it if you would have the pop of 5k where it kinda doesn't matter if you part of the community or not because it's easy to replace you for another player.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Jimmicz wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:22 pm
If I gonna run Mortal mode, and boost my char with my main by providing BOE gear, and flasks pots, and whatnot that's my way of wanting to experience the mode and it is on me.

If the dev creates restrictions when it comes to, gear, trading, grouping, AH, etc. you pretty much making a Massive Single Player RPG. You could afford it if you would have the pop of 5k where it kinda doesn't matter if you part of the community or not because it's easy to replace you for another player.
You will be able to trade and group with only characters on Mortal Run and your level range. No AH, no attachments in the mail.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Jimmicz wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:22 pm

Anyone can certainly run the gambit on their own terms, I was more concerned on how the original nature of the challenge is implemented. This is the original ruleset for the classic Ironman challenge that gained so much hype a while back if anyone’s interested: https://wowchallenges.com/classic-iron-challenge/

Although the players couldn’t group up and engage in a lot of the usual community features of the game, it was the joined commitment to the challenge/experience that bound them all together. Mostly I want to make a fair case for the original ruleset, since making it easier is very tempting to say the least.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 am

Small informational update on Mortal Mode:

• Mortal characters will not be able to use Auction House.
• Mortal characters will be able to trade only with other Mortal characters.
• Mortal characters will be able to group only with other Mortal characters.
• Mortal characters will be able to send and receive mails only from other Mortal characters.

We still have a few issues to resolve before launching it. Stand by! In best case scenario would be great to have some client-side support for this mode, which is being worked on in 1.15.1.

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:54 am

Well, I just think that on a server with such a low population the goal should be to bring people so they play together, and not creating modes that restrict people from doing that.

Ashendale

Post by Ashendale » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:25 am

I think the focus on this mode should be the Risk vs. Reward and truly testing your skills as a player. Where one mistake, misstep or growing overconfident can become fatal. That thrill..

I can see the appeal of wanting to keep a character you have invested time and effort in, but that's not what this mode is about in my opinion.

If that is what you want to get out of it, opt for a regular leveling experience.

Yes it will be infuriating for a while when you lose a high level character you have grown attached to, but you get back up, start a fresh one and get right back into it.

I am very excited to share my many journeys, many iterations of mortals - to hopefully one day make it to immortality.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

- Ash

Ashendale: https://armory.turtle-wow.org/#!/character/Ashendale

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCITamD ... efQ/videos

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:58 am

Pepper and myself are planning to stream/do YouTube vid of us playing on mortal mode but is one question we have?

Is there a grace period where another player can ressurect you or is it instant deletion upon death?

Oswani

Post by Oswani » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:46 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 am

• Mortal characters will be able to send and receive mails only from other Mortal characters.

We still have a few issues to resolve before launching it. Stand by! In best case scenario would be great to have some client-side support for this mode, which is being worked on in 1.15.1.
Excitement!

Oswani

Post by Oswani » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:53 pm

Ashendale wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:25 am
I think the focus on this mode should be the Risk vs. Reward and truly testing your skills as a player. Where one mistake, misstep or growing overconfident can become fatal. That thrill..

I can see the appeal of wanting to keep a character you have invested time and effort in, but that's not what this mode is about in my opinion.

If that is what you want to get out of it, opt for a regular leveling experience.

Yes it will be infuriating for a while when you lose a high level character you have grown attached to, but you get back up, start a fresh one and get right back into it.

I am very excited to share my many journeys, many iterations of mortals - to hopefully one day make it to immortality.
I like that. Reminds me of that quote from the movie Heat, “ don’t get attached to something you can’t walk out on in 30 seconds flat”. Anyone doing the Mortal challenge should almost expect to lose their character. The goal and thrill is to defy that expectation lol.

Cytonek

Post by Cytonek » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 am

Will the character be able to use AH, group with other non mortals, and other restrictions be taken off when they hit 60?

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Cytonek wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:09 pm
Will the character be able to use AH, group with other non mortals, and other restrictions be taken off when they hit 60?
Sure.

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:39 pm

Finally a gaming style that lets you fully immerse yourself in vanilla World of Warcraft like never before... No questions asked if you die, well, you die... This makes friendships tighter, immersion greater, role-playing becomes natural, it will truly feel like you belong in Azeroth and that your actions really count for something.

End Game should be the long awaited hard journey to defend Azeroth from its most greatest enemies! Not a Raiding culture for items! If you quested hard until level 60, then Azeroth knows your name. You became a true Hero. So needed that the Spirit Healer itself grants you passage to your body again and again, for she knows how important it is to save and defend Azeroth.

My friends and fellow Azerothians our lives will now truly begin and we are not prepared!
Maelm the Forest Ranger
"What I have learned from the elves in my youth is what I do for a living. If no one protects us then who will..."

Bazou

Post by Bazou » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Can we have a system default guild for every lvl1 mortal mode player? So we can group up rather than chatting in the world channel. : D

Thank you very much! I'm so excited to have this new mode!

Bazou

Post by Bazou » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 pm

More, Could we have a community channel in Turtle Discord for mortal mode players?

Thanks again!

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:24 am

Unlike hardcore, mortal mode will have normal exp rates, right?

Dragunovi

Post by Dragunovi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 am

Yes, though you can still get the hardcore and exhaustion glyphs if that's your thing.
Sometimes makes items, feel free to query on Discord for questions!

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:03 am

I completely don't see any point of this mode considering power shortage, disconnects happen that can kill your character..

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Unangwata wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:03 am
I completely don't see any point of this mode considering power shortage, disconnects happen that can kill your character..
That is a very valid point!

I absolutely love this Mortal mode idea, but losing our character due to network reasons can be infuriating! Imagine doing a dungeon, well prepared, with all your mortal friends and while you are batteling along the way your ISP has fart in the head deploys something live into the their network and your home network goes offline for some minutes! I would cry just to know when I could connect again and see if my character suffered an ill fate....

The biggest problem is that although you can log disconnect events in the server side you can not discern voluntary and unvolutary disconnects, which could lead to cheating.

In the end its up to the devs how they find solutions for these problems. Because although the idea is wonderfull its implementation could have undesired effects.
Maelm the Forest Ranger
"What I have learned from the elves in my youth is what I do for a living. If no one protects us then who will..."

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:43 pm

Unangwata wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:03 am
Shit happens, I've lost hardcore characters in diablo due to the internet cutting out

Bazou

Post by Bazou » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:19 pm

It’s true that Internet access problem is annoying. But it is not the reason we turn against mortal mode. Anyway Luck is almost the most important part in our real life, same in the wow I will say.
Good luck! My turtle friends.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:44 pm

I like general idea, disabled auction house, only trade with other mortals etc. I would suggest another alternative to dying, character becomes wounded for some time (days) and have to recuperate before will be available for play again.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Also like someone mentioned in different post, upon taking the glyph your bank and bags should be purged to prevent providing the character with necessary gear for all levels before the glyph is taken.

The whole idea of depending on yourself is attractive enough that even without permanent death something like this should be implemented in my opinion. Perhaps it's even more attractive without the risk of permanent death.

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:30 pm

Deleting items in bags and bank (except hearthstone and starting food/drink) upon accepting the glyph is a great idea.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Also everything that has already been sent by mail as well as force close any open trade windows.

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:30 pm

Is there a lv range requirement for Mortal characters to trade items?

I’ll be trying to only use grey-white gear, plus hardcore mode, and was curious if I’ll be able to trade armor kits, sharpening stone, potions, and enchants.

Torta

Post by Torta » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 am

Do you guys want an automatically created guild for mortal runners? If yes, please suggest a good name! We will pick the best one.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:19 am

Have you decided what happens on death ? Pool result, wounded ? Wounded looks like compromise between harsh reality of death to dc or having no consequence at all. You would be out for few days but won't have to start over.
Personally I won't start this mode because of possibility of crash or dc that happened to me in the past. But I would love this idea without death consequence.
Guild name: Mortals ?

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 pm

Torta wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 am
Do you guys want an automatically created guild for mortal runners? If yes, please suggest a good name! We will pick the best one.
Hammers of the Promised
Storm of the Rotten
Legacy of the Weak
One Life
Torta's Terrapins

Balake

Post by Balake » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Mrkrissatan wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 pm
Hammers of the Promised
Storm of the Rotten