Contested Zones

Lexi

Re: Contested Zones

Post by Lexi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:05 am

I really dislike this suggestion, sounds like it would create zones that have the potential to be far more toxic than alliance vs horde contested zones on pvp servers. It opens the door for blacklists where everyone in a guild or group of guilds kill specific people in the community they don't like on sight. I've seen this happen in traditional pvp servers, often for petty and minor reasons but if all players could attack the issue could be far worse.

Gargadon

Post by Gargadon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:25 am

Please dont. Love the laid back levelling experience I can have here. Stuff like this would sadly be a dealbreaker for me. (And maybe even the server as it can bring in a lot of toxicity.)

Oswani

Post by Oswani » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:26 pm

I feel Stranglethorn and Tanaris can fit the bill considering both are hostile landscapes already ripe with bandits/pirates and other lawless npc’s. Plus they both have neutral cities to keep allies close and enemies closer.

Of course the minute something like this pops up there’s always the inevitable “not if, but when” for pvp abuse ( which is a big NO for this server).

I liked your earlier idea to flesh out the Dishonored Rank more, as a permanent pvp flag would allow both other dishonored players and our pve friends to attack you. Becoming disliked or even hated by your own faction would also allow same faction pvp, ultimately leading to dishonored players funneling toward STV or Tanaris anyway for relative “safety”

As an rp server we should definitely find some way to facilitate our lawful/neutral/chaotic evil players (within moderate respect for those that just want to relax and take it slow here).

Thelmarr

Post by Thelmarr » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 am

Stuff like this is usually a really bad idea in any MMO.
PvP and PvE are completely different concepts and provide a distinct set of challenges. Because of this they either appeal to outright different audiences or at least require a different state of mind.

Essentially as a player, you'll almost always choose one over the other unless the game itself is specifically designed around a mixture of both. If the game forces you to engage in an activity that doesn't appeal to you in order to progress in another activity, it's either a chore or just plain torture for most players, especially if this behaviour does not offer appropriate rewards (from the player's perspective).

This is made worse by the suggestion to extend this content into almost every major high level zone. Given that you have to visit almost every zone to reach max level (unless you're grinding dungeons at some point), you'd force players to participate in obstructive and frustrating gameplay without a proper way to at least opt out.

Given that you'd likely have to spend one to two days played to go from 50 to 60, I think a lot of players would either abandon their character midway through or quit completely, and rightfully so.

Vasyan

Post by Vasyan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:33 pm

i play on this server COZ its pve

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:19 pm

Oswani wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:26 pm
I feel Stranglethorn and Tanaris can fit the bill considering both are hostile landscapes already ripe with bandits/pirates and other lawless npc’s. Plus they both have neutral cities to keep allies close and enemies closer.

Of course the minute something like this pops up there’s always the inevitable “not if, but when” for pvp abuse ( which is a big NO for this server).

I liked your earlier idea to flesh out the Dishonored Rank more, as a permanent pvp flag would allow both other dishonored players and our pve friends to attack you. Becoming disliked or even hated by your own faction would also allow same faction pvp, ultimately leading to dishonored players funneling toward STV or Tanaris anyway for relative “safety”

As an rp server we should definitely find some way to facilitate our lawful/neutral/chaotic evil players (within moderate respect for those that just want to relax and take it slow here).
Strabglethorn is a major questing hub though. Turning it into a free for all pvp zone will disrupt players that just want to level in peace (which is the intention of the server).

The Outlaw idea sounds well enough as it creates a separate state for people that want to pvp each other in open world. I’d say reach the second rank of dishonor and be permanently flagged for pvp by both factions. That could turn pve players into bounty hunters if they wanted, or give more incentive for outlaws to fight each other for the bounty quest.

The only issue I see is the lack of civilian NPCs outside of questgivers/vendors/trainers. In this community it’s unlikely, but killing those essential civilians in excess is a form of greifing that players want to escape here.

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 am

Not to mention the Mortal mode would make this idea impossible

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 pm

I would love a similar area to Alterac Valley, but instead of BG, that area would be an open world, where you can just enter and do quests to help your faction with the outcome of the battle.

Thorbaldin

Post by Thorbaldin » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 pm

nah i dislike it completely too (-1) but instead why not to put some objective to take for pvp (with quest reward even if goodies) and above all let the choice for peep to pvp or not

Bazou

Post by Bazou » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:36 pm

No I wanna PVE turtle. And I’m a hardcore player. So No PVP plz. Anyway, we have battleground already. Right?

Jekka

Post by Jekka » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 pm

The bounty system here could really be a great way to encourage structured wpvp. If an outlaw is always flagged it gives pve bounty hunters a chance to get the first hit on the encounter.

Are there any other plans for “evil aligned” players?
“Nothing is lost. Nothing is forgotten. It was in the blood, the flesh. And now, it is forever.” - Prophet of Hakkar The Soulflayer

Aomiaz

Post by Aomiaz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:39 pm

since alliance and horde can communicate in chat, we can just organised pvp event by going to a agreed location and turn on pvp turtle_tongue_head.
this avoid greifing. Before turtle wow, i always look for pvp server. I never raid. only pvp. but i actually like it here. making a lvl60 rogue and killing low level player in redridge was never my interest.

Cervantes

Post by Cervantes » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:50 am

Good idea Aomiza :)

I remember the good old Crossroads wars back in the day and it was alot of fun.
Some people can go and watch the carnage and some people can bring the pain.
Seymour Siegfried Jones
Holy Knight

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:50 pm

There are a million pvp servers. We can let this one not be a toxic hellhole.