[Release] Water

Vidooo

[Release] Water

Post by Vidooo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:30 am

Hey guys does anyone know how I can get my water looking like this? :/

Well... what if I told you I know how? :)

Working over the past few days to improve the basic Vanilla water, this mod aims to be a texture (not shader) replacement that brings the flat texture a little closer to how retail is. Without reflections/refractions it doesn't look exact but I hope some people will still find it to their taste.

There are 2 versions available as an option to use, one includes only the textures while the other includes the textures and dbc files for cata water color + water visibility. Both are compatible with HD mod and Darker Nights and even just as standalone.

Darker Nights

Release:

DBC edited: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10zxEnR ... sp=sharing
Texture only: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nrFd4G ... sp=sharing

Notice

I have decided to post the wip of what would've been the next version of this mod here. It is unfinished and anyone who would like to modify it and release it as they will has full permission to do so.

Last edited by Vidooo on Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Luke

Re: Water

Post by Luke » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:18 pm

Looks very nice, are you the author? Thank you for sharing this.

Vidooo

Re: Water

Post by Vidooo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:23 pm

I am indeed, tyvm and you're welcome!

Huma

Re: [Release] Water

Post by Huma » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:17 pm

it looks rly good my friend, nice mod

Yuritsuki

Post by Yuritsuki » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:21 am

700MB just for water?

Yuritsuki

Post by Yuritsuki » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:31 am

I've reoptimized the mpq and it's real size is 10MB.

Theexpell

Post by Theexpell » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:35 am

Thank you, you don't know how many hours I have spent looking for a mod just like this. Good job it looks great!

Vidooo

Post by Vidooo » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:12 am

Sorry, reuploaded the mpq and you're right it's meant to be only 10mb, no clue why it was so much larger

Neiloe

Post by Neiloe » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:32 pm

Hello, awesome work, thanks a lot !

Huma

Post by Huma » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:43 pm

can we have the 10mb version link? 700 for a water replace seems to much xD

Vidooo

Post by Vidooo » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:22 pm

I updated the links, they lead to the way way way smaller downloads now

Vidooo

Post by Vidooo » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:43 pm

Fixed an issue regarding entering zones such as Desolace. I've reuploaded the MPQ and advise people to redownload it (also cut the mpq down to 10mb so it should be a nearly instant download for everyone now)

Takinsur

Post by Takinsur » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:11 pm

huge!

Breadskix

Post by Breadskix » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:29 am

This is fantastic. highly recommend.

How to install:
Just add Patch-W.MPQ into your Data folder.

Huma

Post by Huma » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:21 pm

to much glow effect on snowy areas with your patch, can you fix it?

Vanga

Post by Vanga » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:54 pm

Hey thank you for the work you put into it ! Will definitly try it out

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:39 pm

This image makes the water look really unnatural. Like it's not water at all, but some missing texture asset. I don't know how many other places will be encountered where the water will look just as unnatural.

I think the default water texture really does the job, the lack of DX11 for a better water is a problem, but the new water in Activision Classic looks weird when combined with the Vanilla graphics of everything else.

I'm sorry, it's a nice effort, some may appreciate it, but I've tried such modifications, I went OCD crazy at some point about WoW, other games, Windows customization and more and in the end I realized it's just an useless waste of time and have been enjoying things in their base appearance and it feels much more liberating to not give a fuck about so many useless things.

Zacrifice00

Post by Zacrifice00 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:22 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:39 pm
This image makes the water look really unnatural. Like it's not water at all, but some missing texture asset. I don't know how many other places will be encountered where the water will look just as unnatural.

I think the default water texture really does the job, the lack of DX11 for a better water is a problem, but the new water in Activision Classic looks weird when combined with the Vanilla graphics of everything else.

I'm sorry, it's a nice effort, some may appreciate it, but I've tried such modifications, I went OCD crazy at some point about WoW, other games, Windows customization and more and in the end I realized it's just an useless waste of time and have been enjoying things in their base appearance and it feels much more liberating to not give a fuck about so many useless things.

lot of words for someone that didn't have to say anything, much like the rest of the active forum here. if YOU don't like it, cool bro. i think it looks much better than this picture in-game, but i'm not going to go find your post and shit all over it. turtle_in_love

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:38 am

Zacrifice00 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:22 am

lot of words for someone that didn't have to say anything, much like the rest of the active forum here. if YOU don't like it, cool bro. i think it looks much better than this picture in-game, but i'm not going to go find your post and shit all over it. turtle_in_love
If you consider this "shitting all over", you have a very fragile ego and feelings, wait till you step into the real world and find out people have opinions... and they are not always going to align with yours. This is one of those, get over yourself. Cancel culture got too much into your head, now you think everything that isn't praise is automatically hate speech. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Samus

Post by Samus » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:20 pm

Thanks for this! It makes enemies under the water much easier to see and target - very useful considering how fierce the competition for mobs is on this server!

Vidooo

Post by Vidooo » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:06 am

Thank you all for the kind words, I am glad many of you are enjoying this mod. As for any future/updates...

At my wit's end, I made a much (imo) nicer looking water texture that's nearly ready to go yet while it's so close it's so far too. Can't get it looking seamless and there is another mod I would like to work on which is a decently sized overhaul of the grass/flowers etc. This was initially the texture for the mod that I wished to post upon first release.

I will leave the unfinished water mod here in a zip file in case anyone would like a go at it, if you don't focus too hard you don't see the seams really, if someone does end up getting it to look right it does not bother me if they want to take full credit for it. There is a separate lake and ocean texture. It is playable by default, just unfinished.

And, as a teaser, the other mod I am working on right now...

Gee3

Post by Gee3 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:55 pm

Thank you :)

Manateufel

Post by Manateufel » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:07 pm

Love it.

Astrallizard

Post by Astrallizard » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:56 am

Great work!

I wonder how a version that is less transparent would look like. Maybe a mix of your modded water and traces of the original texture could improve the look and feel and fit better into vanilla WoW.