Arms PvE Changes

Drunkenrobot

Arms PvE Changes

Post by Drunkenrobot » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:02 pm

[This post is a copy of a discord suggestion by Jaekta (Azerty#6396) in the #warrior channel.]

Hey guys, me and my fellow warriors in <Cold Embrace> have been discussing the recent announcement about the feedback that will be asked on possible class changes.
I am a purely PvE guy so my feedback wille be exclusively focused on that with the intent to neither buff nor nerf warrior in PvP Ill let others provide feedback on the matter.

The crux of the matter:
Warriors are known as the most overpowered class in the game, best tank, best DPS , insane potential and mechanics.
I'm here to argue that this is not the case in fact it is quite the contrary. Fury is overpowered, a combination of Rage, Death Wish, Flurry and the linear scaling of Bloodthirst makes it punch way above the other two talent trees which are known as complete jokes in PvE. both Deep Prot and Deep Arms are complete and utter garbage and that's why DPS AND Tanks go 31 points into Fury.

My aim with this feedback is to make Arms and Prot, if not optimal, at least viable in PvE keep in mind that these changes follow 3 rules:
  • They do not have any noticeable impact in PvP
  • They cannot in any way shape or form benefit Fury and as such should be in the 5th, 6th or 7th talent row of their trees
  • They are independent changes, it is not an all or nothing and work on their own.

Arms:
Arms as a dps spec suffers from being a purely PvP spec that provides 0 utility in most PvE single target situation, they are meant to be the 2 Handed spec but are utterly beaten by 2 Handed fury due to the inaccessibility of Flurry and the fact that Mortal Strike scales off of weapon damage compared to the AP linear scaling of Bloodthirst.
When I heard the word "Arms warrior" what do I picture ? Well it's in the name : a Master of Arms, one who is patient, calculated and strikes with a single blow that defeats their oponent, if I were to think about what NPC is an arms warrior in Vanilla it would be Instructor Razuvius a master who teaches and can destroy anyone with one attack.

To better represent that here are my suggested changes:
  • Poleaxe Specialization x/5:
    Increases your chance to get a critical strike with axes and polearms by 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% and increases Two-Handed Axes and Polearms Weapon skill by 2/4/6/8/10.
  • Mace Specialization x/5:
    Gives you a 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% chance to stun your target for 3 seconds with a Mace and increases Two-Handed Maces Weapon skill by 2/4/6/8/10.
  • Sword Specialization x/5:
    Gives you a 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% chance to get an extra attack on the same target after dealing damage with your swords and increases Two-Handed Sword Weapon skill by 2/4/6/8/10.
The point of these changes is that, as a Master of Arms it seems obvious that the Arms warrior would know how to use his weapons to the fullest of their ability, weapon skills is one of the few mechanics that does not interact with PvP. 10 might seem to be a lot but this is also a way to fix the grossly unfair advantage humans orcs and goblins get with their racials which should have been removed a long time ago. with 10 weapon skill available in a spec non-meta races have at least one spec that allows them to not be a burden just because they made a "mistake" at character creation.
  • Improved Discipline:
    Reduces the cooldown of your retaliation, recklessness and shield wall abilities by 6/12/18 min.
As a master of his emotions and a composed fighter the Arms warrior is able to always fall back on his training, he knows when to hold back, when to defend and when to go all out.
adding weapon skill to arms is one way to augment the damage of the arms warrior in PvE but it in no way makes it viable, you would still be 15%-20% weaker than a fury just due to lack of BT and Flury. The way to fix this would be to make recklessness available on pretty much every boss (or at least every two bosses) for Arms warrior which would provide a noticeable 'but not broken) boost.
Although this change might seem super impactful in PvP I believe that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things : either the warrior you face has Retaliation up or not and the way to deal with him is still the same : kill their pocket healer and wait for retaliation to go down.

If the availability of retaliation is too much to handle the talent could be changed instead to :
  • Improved Discipline:
    Reduces the cooldown of your retaliation and shield wall abilities by 2/4/6 min and reduces the cooldown of your recklessness ability by 6/12/18 min.
Those are my suggestions for Arms

Syrathegreat

Re: Arms PvE Changes

Post by Syrathegreat » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:40 am

As I said on discord, HUGE +1 from me. This is a really elegant solution to help with the weapon skill issues.

This would work great with the discussed switch of flurry and enrage if that goes through too.
Juniper <Gnomish Cosmonaut Corps> - Hunter | Gnome | 54 | War Mode | S&S
Kyra - Warrior | Night Elf | 25 | HC | S&S | Lorekeeper
Kolgra - Warrior | Orc | 31 | War Mode | S&S
Merry - Paladin | Dwarf | 29 | HC

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:41 am

Adding weapon skills to the weapon spec talents is a good idea.

Bloodline1x9

Post by Bloodline1x9 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:17 pm

1. Arms won't do as much damage as a fury with 2h weapon, no matter how much buff you let Arms.

Therefore, the best way to update the Arms spec in PvE is to make it a support spec. Since it was done in TBC. The buff that increases PD of entire raid.

2. It is unlikely that the Turtle team will change the Arms Spec for PVE. Admins really don't like warriors who haven't received any changes. Only visual or useless things.
For example poleaxe spec. A warrior cannot carry both a polearm and an ax at the same time.
He always chose one of those because it's a two-handed weapon. Although all types of weapons can be combined into one talent, you will still only equip one thing.

With this, they freed up one talent cell and put useless Improved Disciplines there, which no one takes, because it is very weak to spend talent points on it. They gave them useless -2/4/6 minutes on Improved Disciplines. Instead of -4/7/10 analogies with TBC. And the fact that no warrior takes this useless talent does not mean anything to them. Many patches have passed but they have not changed this talent. You write about some -6/12/18 it's funny.

3. Giving a weapon skill bonus only for two-handed is a bad idea, because it will lead to an imbalance for those who want to play arms with two one-handed or one-handed and a shield. Yes, they don't play like that, but now there is such an opportunity. What you suggest also takes away this opportunity.

The problem of the warrior is not in pvE. Everything is fine there. You can play with 2h or two 1h.
Warrior problem is absolutely the weakest class in pvp. Without Second Wind and some kind of sustain, it's a piece of meat. Your topic distracts from the real problems of the warrior.

Saltybro

Post by Saltybro » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:33 am

10 weapon skill is kinda op in PvE and make orc/human talent insignificant, perhaps total 5 increase is a better fit.

I heard that warrior gets a new slam that can be cast during movement, but does it push back your auto swing timer?

Brutallica

Post by Brutallica » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:36 pm

I would love for two hander arms to be viable in PVE

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:21 am

Brutallica wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:36 pm
It already is
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:50 am

It is something I've been also suggesting, but I think +5 weapon skill on corresponding weapon specializations would be more than sufficient, and indeed would make sense for the arms warrior.

I also don't think Arms needs such a significant CD reduction, rather I'd put emphasis on special attacks that the arms warrior masters through training, which is one of the main difference between arms and fury thematically, where fury is ment to be more about vicious autoattacks;

New Arms talent, with Improved Overpower as a prerequisite, positioned under it:

~ Crimson Remise ~
"Whenever your Rend ability causes damage, you have a 15/30% chance of allowing the use of your Overpower ability for 9 sec. 1 charge. This effect will not occur more than once every 6 sec."

And Mace Specialization could also do this, so maces are considerable for dps:
"Your attacks with maces ignore up x% of your opponents armor."

Maces and bludgeons in general, are traumatic weapons that have a particular effectiveness against warriors, soldiers, and knights wearing heavy armor.

So something like this:

Poleaxe Specialization x/5:
Increases your chance to get a critical strike with axes and polearms by 1%/2%/3%/4%/5%. Increases One-Handed and Two-Handed Axes and Polearms Weapon skill by 1/2/3/4/5.
Mace Specialization x/5:
Your attacks with maces ignore up 3%/6%/9%/12%/15% of your opponents armor and gives you a 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% chance to stun your target for 3 seconds with a Mace. Increases One-Handed and Two-Handed Maces Weapon skill by 1/2/3/4/5.
Sword Specialization x/5:
Gives you a 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% chance to get an extra attack on the same target after dealing damage with your swords. Increases One-Handed and Two-Handed Sword Weapon skill by 1/2/3/4/5.
Last edited by Mativh on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Brutallica

Post by Brutallica » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:14 am

Bigsmerf wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:21 am
Brutallica wrote:
It already is
You are absolutely right. What i really ment is for it to be on par with 1h fury in dps, which it defiantly isn't.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:16 am

Brutallica wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:14 am
Bigsmerf wrote:
Brutallica wrote:
It already is
You are absolutely right. What i really ment is for it to be on par with 1h fury in dps, which it defiantly isn't.
Well, neither is damn near every other class and spec, but they don't get to have that luxury either, unfortunately.

Brutallica

Post by Brutallica » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:39 am

Bigsmerf wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:16 am
Brutallica wrote:
Bigsmerf wrote:

It already is
Well, neither is damn near every other class and spec, but they don't get to have that luxury either, unfortunately.
Ill take a guess that you here just to be pissed about warriors dps?
If you have issues with "near every other class" go voice it in "near every other classes" respective subforum.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:45 am

Brutallica wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:39 am
Bigsmerf wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:16 am
Brutallica wrote:

Ill take a guess that you here just to be pissed about warriors dps?
If you have issues with "near every other class" go voice it in "near every other classes" respective subforum.
I'm not, no. I'm fine with warriors being top tier pumpers, but if you want all three of their specs to be meta, when some classes have specs that are barely viable, I mean... That's not very fair, is it?

Tyrgrim

Post by Tyrgrim » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:12 pm

The obvious changes would bee deep in Arms tree, In the weapon skills or Disciplins. Got to find something that effects PvE and not PVP. If that is extra stats in weapons. Or some value like Armor pen, hit, bonus rage on weapon hit.

I think there is possibility for improvement.

Yeah sure you can improve other classes as well. But this is the warrior forum.

Sivo

Post by Sivo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Mativh wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:50 am

New Arms talent, with Improved Overpower as a prerequisite, positioned under it:

~ Crimson Remise ~
"Whenever your Rend ability causes damage, you have a 25/50% chance of allowing the use of your Overpower ability for 9 sec. 1 charge. This effect will not occur more than once every 6 sec."
Is reallyy one of best idea but it may bring balance problem to pvp maybe only a pve ability that get active vs mobs not vs players. Would add Blood Frenzy too but makes it only vs mobs . But with that PVE arms would be better still would not beat Fury dd pve what is fine.
Problem really is that fury tree is just a) too good literally no waste skill points and b)thanks to heroic strike offhand bug to broken. With c) 17 points in def tree you get all the best def abilites and well d)pve dd we know with a bit gear and good weapons just go to 1kdps casual.
Arms is first point a pvp spec yes but small changes like this and what suggest the mainpost like giving +weapon skill but i would not go with +10 skill +3-5 sound good.
Deep prot need really a huge buff like i said only 17 points only MATTERS then rest is just get the 31 BAD TALENT Shield Slam vs Bloodthirst in deep prot and well that is horrible.

Brandwacht

Post by Brandwacht » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:41 pm

next time warriors will want to raid solo😄

Sivo

Post by Sivo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:53 pm

Brandwacht wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:41 pm
next time warriors will want to raid solo😄
well actually pally and druid can ^^ not to forget mages can solo mc ^^

Tyrgrim

Post by Tyrgrim » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:53 pm

The goal is to make arms slightly more viable in PvE, and not op in PvP?

Small changes then in deep Arms:

Weapon Spcialization also adds +1 in weapon skill for a total of +5 at 5 skill.

Overpower also works on Parry, So Parry and Dodge.

Improved dicipline also adds +1% speed for eatch rank 3 ranks +3% speed. Just a sugesstion, dont really know exactlly what arms is lacking in endgame.

I think Improved discipline is a skill to focus on, because its deep in Arms, so it will be exclusive to arms spec. Make its something good for PvE worth spending 3 points.

These are skills used for Battle stance. A cooldown reduction in a battlestance exclusive skill could be viable.

Or if you want to make Arms more of a support, make Improved Disipline add a group wide buff while the arms warrior is in Battle stance.

Cfishet

Post by Cfishet » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Nice ideas, I do wonder if the turtle devs* even looks at stuff at like this?

Seane31

Post by Seane31 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:24 pm

without wf arms will never be viable on ally pve or it will be super sprong on horde with wf

Noephix

Post by Noephix » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:07 am

The very first thing we need is to make Mortal strike debuff work on monster healing. Because currently it doesn't.

Bogyone

Post by Bogyone » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:00 pm

While I can always bugger off to 3.3.5 pserver to enjoy it smiling_turtle_head I'll still share that leveling Arms in WotLK was so satisfying because of the rework of the specc, primarily due to added synergies with Rend and scalability of the weapon damage.