New Races - Zandalari for the Horde and (Broken) Draenei for the Alliance

Shatterfury

New Races - Zandalari for the Horde and (Broken) Draenei for the Alliance

Post by Shatterfury » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:39 am

Despite the Troll icon I have a High Elf Paladin as a main, and while I got to finally enjoy playing a High Elf - lets be honest the majority of us thought about playing one - the Horde feels left in the dust. Alah Thalas is breath taking, at first I thought it was rather small, but its adequite for the 1 to 10 level zone and the developers nailed the feeling.

Seeing how the Horde is bland and outnumbered player-wise it needs a race that is appealing and no race would help the Horde other than the Zandalari - the aesthetic introduced in Cataclysm - the basic Night Elf male skeleton is perfect for the male Zandalari with some minor modifications, the normal female Troll skeleton works for female Zandalari very well out of the box.
The Zandalari for me look very regal and even nice but in a brutal way, I would very much be tempted of rolling one to be honest given the chance. The orcs are hunched and have too big shoulder items, I dont click with Tauren, Forsaken are Undead and I am not the fan of playing with them. I did have Jungle Troll on retail for quite a lot of time and a chance is in order.

And adding the Zandalari opens up the possibility, if the developers so choose, of adding the whole isle of Zandalar with a proper city for the Horde. This in turn lets the developers add Kul Tiras City as a proper large city for the Alliance to keep the number of capital settlements equal.

The isle of Zandalar is also big enough that it can cover leveling all the way up to lvl 20. Even Blizzard gave Azhara to the Horde as a 10 to 20 zone to balance the leveling zones who favoured the Alliance. Offering a new leveling experience up to level 20 will go a long way to cathering to new players, especially for the Horde.

The Zandalari also open up the door for Horde Paladins, if the developers are open to it. The Zandalari, as the priestly caste of the Trolls could very well come up with a mix of Priest and Warrior hibrid that could be Paladins mechanics wise.

The (Broken) Draenei could get a zone to cover leveling from 1 to 10 in the north of Moonglade and after that they would be funneled in Darkshore to continue leveling. They would be too few to have a proper city and they should get their own corner in Darnassus. Out of all the Alliance races, the Night Elves would be the ones in the position to help the Draenei and it would add another Alliance race in Kalimdor.

This would also open the Alliance up to the possibility of having Shamans, if the developers are open to it.

I have also seen threads proposing Ogres for the Horde, but I feel it would not help the player count for the Horde, which should be something the devs think about. The Zandalari, on the other hand, bring quite a lot on the table, from lore, to looks , to even architecture. The Zandalari are a big race numberwise and would help the Horde not feel totally underpowered story wise.

Galendor

Re: New Races - Zandalari for the Horde and (Broken) Draenei for the Alliance

Post by Galendor » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:49 pm

Although I like an idea of playable Zandalari, I should note that they lack a significant reason to join the Horde. I genuinely wonder what kind of story could lead them to the Horde, in your opinion? And if they will join the Horde - will the whole tribe do it or only a part of it? Will they do it with Rastakhan's blessing or without it?
Besides, their aesthetics is mostly MoP/BfA thing. I fear that in Vanilla they would lost a big part of their charm.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:01 pm

Galendor wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:49 pm
Although I like an idea of playable Zandalari, I should note that they lack a significant reason to join the Horde. I genuinely wonder what kind of story could lead them to the Horde, in your opinion? And if they will join the Horde - will the whole tribe do it or only a part of it? Will they do it with Rastakhan's blessing or without it?
Besides, their aesthetics is mostly MoP/BfA thing. I fear that in Vanilla they would lost a big part of their charm.
Well, the Zandalari are Trolls, and almost all other Trolls have suffered at the hands of other Alliance races. The Amani have lost a lot of their lands to the High Elves and Lordaeron, Stormwind is founded on former Gurubashi lands. The Zandalari are the spiritual leaders of the Trolls and are surely in contact with the other Trolls.

Zandalar itself being an island forced the Zandalari to develop a maritime tradition, they having strained - even naval conflicts with Kul`Tiras or Stormwind isn`t something plausible as a back story?

If the developers decide to go the Zandalari route, they are more than capable of crafting a story by the looks of it.
My personal take would be for the entire Zandalari state to join - that would unlock the entire Zandalar isle for the Horde to level and have fun and also a new Capital city for the Horde, which in turn would allow the team to give the Alliance another Capital city - Kul`Tiras City ?
The story could be around Zul going mad with visions, alling with Naga in the secret to manipulate Rastakhan into doing something - the team can hatch a plan - of course the player through questing discovers this and brings it before the Rastakhan.
Noticing reduced naval activity from and towards Zandalar itself, Kul`Tiras makes a few small camps on the isle to investigate - this could trigger a chain of events in which the Zandalari not wanting to wake up with an Alliance invasion on their island - hypothetical as it may be - reach to Thrall - at the behest of a Darkspear Speaker present on the isle - who has developed a reputation of ruthless yet level headed leader. The Zandalari too proud, and powerful, to simply bend the knee to become a full member of the Horde, request a mutual defence pact - mediated by Vol`Jin in the end.
So the Zandalari "join" gameplay wise but are only allied with the Horde as are the Forsaken and the Raventusk Tribe.
The defense pact ensures that any Alliance military act against Zandalar now, while it sorts it`s internal problems could trigger a war with the Horde as well.

The Zandalari will only start friendly with the Darkspears and neutral with the others.

As for the models, on the contrary, the more I look at how male Night Elf model looks and it`s general stance, I think it is a very good base. They only need the skin itself and add Tusks, and of course work on the casting and attack animations. The female Zandalari model can be a modified female Jungle female model.
Having base models from which to start will help a lot more with fitting armor and stuff like that.
The Draenei would be a bigger headache.

Cheers!

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:37 pm

I like the idea with playable zandalari in the Horde. But i think it would make more sense for only part of the tribe to join the Horde? Because zandalari is neutral in vanilla and adding entire empire would bring some complications with lore.
Besides, adding both zandalar and kul'tiran in a way you suggest would be too much like BFA rehash?
Your idea is pretty good and zandalar aethestic in Horde is something I want to play too.
But getting there would be challenging I guess.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:09 am

Jongyi wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:37 pm
I like the idea with playable zandalari in the Horde. But i think it would make more sense for only part of the tribe to join the Horde? Because zandalari is neutral in vanilla and adding entire empire would bring some complications with lore.
Besides, adding both zandalar and kul'tiran in a way you suggest would be too much like BFA rehash?
Your idea is pretty good and zandalar aethestic in Horde is something I want to play too.
But getting there would be challenging I guess.
I am glad you find my proposal interesting.

Yes, I haven't forgotten about the Zandalari Tribe faction, they could be renamed to Order of <insert name of Wild God that opposed Hakar>. We have the Centurion Circle who is neutral and the Night Elves who are hostile to the Horde, so nothing unheard for WoW.
Plus, the Zandalari nation wouldn't out right join the Horde, but have a mutual defense pact, just like the Forsaken.

I feel that giving the hole of Zandalar to the Horde, as a leveling area from 1 all the way to 20, would help with zone imbalance between the factions AND offer a package deal for the Zandalari.
People would roll one to try them out, see the story and would end up completing the quests on the whole island and end up with a 20+ level Zandalari. They might be tempted to level it all the way to 60 if the story on Zandalar was good and they got hooked on the Zandalari vibe.
I feel that the Zandalari, their esthetic + a good story told in Zandalar could really hook the people.

Let's be honest, proposals like Ogres will not change anything for the Horde, not one bit.

As for what Blizz themselves did, or didn't do, should not dissuade us in implementing something that is plausible for the Turtleverse.

The Turtle Team wants to implement Quel'Thalas and Outlands, in their own vision of course, in the game. And that was done by Blizz with the Burning Crusade.
They should stop just because Blizz did it?

Akos1896
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Akos1896 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:26 am

My main reason for playing horde is the zeppelin system. With a HS or engineering teleport to Orgrimmar you can basically reach everything quickly. Specially if you have a port to Orgrimmar and a HS to Eastern Plaguelands.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:04 pm

Akos1896 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:26 am
My main reason for playing horde is the zeppelin system. With a HS or engineering teleport to Orgrimmar you can basically reach everything quickly. Specially if you have a port to Orgrimmar and a HS to Eastern Plaguelands.
Well, that is a good reason. The Horde has always enjoyed good transportation routes.

Czasku

Post by Czasku » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:38 pm

Yes, and add one more orc race, dwarf, 3 elven and chubby human for some reason.
Big NO to racial mess like Battle for Azeroth.

Azcron

Post by Azcron » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:01 pm

"We have the Centurion Circle who is neutral and the Night Elves who are hostile to the Horde, so nothing unheard for WoW."

But the Cenarion Circle is not a Night Elf faction. It's a class faction not race. So it's not the same thing.

Xormplus

Post by Xormplus » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:15 am

Good idea, now the horde population is low, we need to make the Horde great again, also I think the Horde needs to join the Paladin class, or the shaman can wear plate armor

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:00 am

Azcron wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:01 pm
"We have the Centurion Circle who is neutral and the Night Elves who are hostile to the Horde, so nothing unheard for WoW."

But the Cenarion Circle is not a Night Elf faction. It's a class faction not race. So it's not the same thing.
The Cenarion Circle is the name of the Night Elven Druids order, prior to WoW it was an exclusive Night Elven faction based on the Night Elven Druids, the Tauren Druids joined after the 3rd War.

Besides, renaming the Zandalari Tribe to something else, an Order dedicated to holding Hakkar in check that is willing to work with all factions so that the name Zandalari Tribe is free for another faction, isnt Azeroth shattering.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:10 am

Czasku wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:38 pm
Yes, and add one more orc race, dwarf, 3 elven and chubby human for some reason.
Big NO to racial mess like Battle for Azeroth.
Never played BfA, I just advocated for Zandalari falvoured trolls, who by the way were first introduced in like Mysts of Pandaria if I remeber well.

I underline again that the suggestion if only for 2 races - Zandalari Trolls and Draenei with the Broken skin. The reasoning is that the Zandalari skin look is nice looking skin in a bestial kind of way that could hope to attract more players to the Horde.

You might not be aware, but the factions are quite unbanaced, they were unbalanced to begin with and the introduction of the High Elves has only exacerbated things.

Just like Blizzard added Blood Elves to the Horde simply to balance the factions, which worked I might add, I made the suggestion for the Zanadalari with the faction imbance in mind. But I think that the Zanadalari allying with the Horde - just like the Forsaken currently are, is very plausible lorewise in the Turtle verse.

Akos1896
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Akos1896 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:33 pm

I like the idea of additional races if TWOW has the capacity for it but Zandalari would just feel like a troll reskin (elf variants exist but still, I can't look at these trolls as a new race).
I'm open to new races but they have to feel 'different enough' to actually be a new race.

Koronisz

Post by Koronisz » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:46 pm

Why are people so eager to turn turtle wow into a bootleg retail? Why don't you just go play that?

It's insane how people are incapable of thinking outside the box and constantly ask to reheat garbage from there. You completely underestimate the amount of work it is to do so. So why not ask for something completely different and original than what is already available elsewhere?

Aside from the fact that Zandalari models do not match the styling of the vanilla ones, using those in a cavern of time themed raid/battleground would be a lot more interesting than what you are proposing.

Additionally, the faction imbalance is due to racials (Alliance=PvE, Horde=PvP) not because of the races attractiveness (to you).
Last edited by Koronisz on Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:24 pm

Akos1896 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:33 pm
I like the idea of additional races if TWOW has the capacity for it but Zandalari would just feel like a troll reskin (elf variants exist but still, I can't look at these trolls as a new race).
I'm open to new races but they have to feel 'different enough' to actually be a new race.
Just imagine a male troll based on night elf male model - it already would be different enough to feel like a new race. Add custom textures with body paint and new hairstyles to have a hit.

Czasku

Post by Czasku » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:23 pm

If you want to play troll, just play a Troll.
I think Ogre is the only one race that should be added to the Horde because:
1. They were part of the Horde since W2
2. Barbaric race
3. Big connections with the Horde
New Alliance race is a topic for discussion. But Krokul seems legit because:
1. They are outcasts
2. Humanoid race
3. Hate's the horde because orcs wiped them

The problem with Horde lack of paladin should be fixed with Forsaken being able to be the paladin. Also shaman should be viable to the Dwarf/new race.

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:30 pm

Adding draenei and worgen makes the most sense to me and just making a story up for one of them joining the horde. Im not much into the lore but im sure there is some reason you could come up with. Zandalari are just trolls so i dont see the point in that.

Trismegistos

Post by Trismegistos » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:07 am

Czasku wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:23 pm
Then why have night elves and high elves separately? Because they're very different, and so are the Zandalari and Darkspear trolls, too.

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:32 am

Czasku wrote:
2. Barbaric race
1. They are outcasts
2. Humanoid race

The problem with Horde lack of paladin should be fixed with Forsaken being able to be the paladin. Also shaman should be viable to the Dwarf/new race.
100% agree with the new races. 100% disagree about the pala and shaman stuff.... maintenance_turtle
Necromantis - 60 lvl Warlock

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:40 pm

While zandalari might be a nice idea i agree there's isn't much reason to join the horde.

If you want to populate the horde make undead elves playable. Using the old high elf's skin and tweaked enough so they look sylvannas-like, they make better choice for an horde race, since they always been there from the beginning.

Altough i would prefer ogres for horde, but that would be way less appealing than UDelves

Nib42

Post by Nib42 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:31 pm

New troll race and draenei? No thanks

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 pm

Reploidrocsa wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:40 pm
While zandalari might be a nice idea i agree there's isn't much reason to join the horde.
They really have a reason in TWoW when you think about it.
Look, orcs already helped to Darkspear tribe to survive and, dare I say, prosper (comparing to other tribes who were gravely damaged with the fall of Zul' Gurub). The Horde is also revitalizing its bonds with the Amani, and I'm sure after the patch in Quel'Thalas & Zul'Aman this bond will be even stronger. We also have Horde-related sand trolls in Tanaris. In other words, when certain empire is collapsing, the Horde is here to support worthy tribes. And who can appreciate such deeds more than Zandalari?

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:22 pm

Galendor wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 pm
Reploidrocsa wrote:
Look, orcs already helped to Darkspear tribe to survive and, dare I say, prosper (comparing to other tribes who were gravely damaged with the fall of Zul' Gurub). The Horde is also revitalizing its bonds with the Amani, and I'm sure after the patch in Quel'Thalas & Zul'Aman this bond will be even stronger. We also have Horde-related sand trolls in Tanaris. In other words, when certain empire is collapsing, the Horde is here to support worthy tribes. And who can appreciate such deeds more than Zandalari?
i mean sure, it is possible if you bend enough and justify it.

Still, i believe UD elves fits much easier since... they already in right?

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 am

Koronisz wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:46 pm
Why are people so eager to turn turtle wow into a bootleg retail? Why don't you just go play that?

It's insane how people are incapable of thinking outside the box and constantly ask to reheat garbage from there. You completely underestimate the amount of work it is to do so. So why not ask for something completely different and original than what is already available elsewhere?

Aside from the fact that Zandalari models do not match the styling of the vanilla ones, using those in a cavern of time themed raid/battleground would be a lot more interesting than what you are proposing.

Additionally, the faction imbalance is due to racials (Alliance=PvE, Horde=PvP) not because of the races attractiveness (to you).
Please, read the main post before sounding this condescending. Its about coming up with a plausible race for the Horde that would bring in players.

I would like to hear your proposal, if you have a better one.

Additionally, faction imbalance IS due to the looks, not racials, else High Elves wouldnt be this popular on this server or Blood Elves on retail.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:20 am

Galendor wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 pm
Reploidrocsa wrote:
Its down to how you write the story, and you alreay underline the existing links of the orcs with various troll tribes.
To go further, the Kingdom of Stormwind itself is built on Gurubashi land, Lordaeron and Quel Thalas were built on Amani land so there is a lot of hatred between the trolls and various Alliance races.

I also gave an ideea of a low level naval conflict between Zandalar and Kul Tiras that would being before Thrall and becoming allies of the Horde, just like the Forsaken, not full members but good enough for them to become playable.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:26 am

Czasku wrote:
2. Barbaric race
1. They are outcasts
2. Humanoid race

Zandalari arent your average Jungle Trolls and they - the Zandalari - can come with a custom skin that would bring in people on the side of the Horde.

The main idea behind the suggestion isnt to simply have new races for the sake of having new races, but to help the faction imbalance. Ogres would add a big fat 0 in terms of adressing faction imbalance, people will not play them that much.

The Paladins for the Horde should come from the Zandalari and the Shamans for the Alliance from the Draenei, my suggestion was made with this possibility in mind as well.

Czasku

Post by Czasku » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:19 am

Shatterfury wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:26 am
Czasku wrote:
2. Barbaric race
1. They are outcasts
2. Humanoid race

Zandalari arent your average Jungle Trolls and they - the Zandalari - can come with a custom skin that would bring in people on the side of the Horde.

The main idea behind the suggestion isnt to simply have new races for the sake of having new races, but to help the faction imbalance. Ogres would add a big fat 0 in terms of adressing faction imbalance, people will not play them that much.

The Paladins for the Horde should come from the Zandalari and the Shamans for the Alliance from the Draenei, my suggestion was made with this possibility in mind as well.
Yee, and make Amani trolls playable. Why not? They are not just trolls, they are Amani Trolls! They come with custom skin and even whole model.

<Me waiting for playable ogre since TBC> *Angry fat guy noises* Also, if you want a clean and beauty character go play the Alliance. Horde should be savage and barbaric.

Troll paladin? Why not Orc paladin? Or Tauren? Tauren paladins were added in Cataclysm, so why adding "whole new race" when you can just add Paladin to existing race.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 am

Please, do not open this "Horde pallly & Alliance shammy" can of worms again, guys.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm

Czasku wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:19 am
Yee, and make Amani trolls playable. Why not? They are not just trolls, they are Amani Trolls! They come with custom skin and even whole model.

<Me waiting for playable ogre since TBC> *Angry fat guy noises* Also, if you want a clean and beauty character go play the Alliance. Horde should be savage and barbaric.

Troll paladin? Why not Orc paladin? Or Tauren? Tauren paladins were added in Cataclysm, so why adding "whole new race" when you can just add Paladin to existing race.
Amani will not bring any meaningful numbers for the Horde, they are just beefier Gurubashi.

You might want Ogres, but you are one of the very few, again, it will not help adress the faction imbalance. As matter of fact, you can buy yourself the Ogre skin if you so desire.

Not Troll Paladins, Zandalari Paladins, that is IF the developers want. Orc Paladins don`t make sense, nor am I a big fan of the whole Sunwalker route of the Tauren.

The Horde is far from savage and barbaric, if you would give the WC 3 orc camapaign a try you would see that under Thrall the Horde has added more to it`s character. And the addition of the Goblins in Turtle WoW changed the savage and barbaric label quite a bit.
Last edited by Shatterfury on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm

Galendor wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 am
Please, do not open this "Horde pallly & Alliance shammy" can of worms again, guys.
Why not?

Czasku

Post by Czasku » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm

Shatterfury wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm
Czasku wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:19 am

Amani will not bring any meaningful numbers for the Horde, they are just beefier Gurubashi.

You might want Ogres, but you are one of the very few, again, it will not help adress the faction imbalance. As matter of fact, you can buy yourself the Ogre skin if you so desire.

Not Troll Paladins, Zandalari Paladins, that is IF the developers want. Orc Paladins don`t make sense, nor am I a big fan of the whole Sunwalker route of the Tauren.

The Horde is far from savage and barbaric, if you would give the WC 3 orc camapaign a try you would see that under Thrall the Horde has added more to it`s character. And the addition of the Goblins in Turtle WoW changed the savage and barbaric label quite a bit.
1. Zandalari are just taller Gurubashi

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Errr... Nope.

Shatterfury

Post by Shatterfury » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:46 pm

Czasku wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Errr... Nope.
Look again at the model posted. Zandalari have the most unique model, they aren`t taller than up right standing jungle Troll. The Zandalari are also visibly more beefier and have a different posture.

As for simply typing "nope" it just shows an inability to actually hold a conversation. So what? An Orc Paladin makes sense?

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:59 pm

Shatterfury wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm
Galendor wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 am
Why not?
Because this topic is too controversial and too complicated in comparison to the conversation about new races. It will inevitably escalates.

Czasku

Post by Czasku » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:16 pm

Shatterfury wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:46 pm
Czasku wrote:

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Errr... Nope.
Look again at the model posted. Zandalari have the most unique model, they aren`t taller than up right standing jungle Troll. The Zandalari are also visibly more beefier and have a different posture.

As for simply typing "nope" it just shows an inability to actually hold a conversation. So what? An Orc Paladin makes sense?
Because there are no arguments coming to your mind. And this whole topic makes no sense. You just want an Upright troll came from Battle For Azeroth and you dont understand Turtle WoW isn't retail.

Dracarusggotham
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Dracarusggotham » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:50 pm

Shatterfury wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:46 pm
Czasku wrote:

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Errr... Nope.

1. Zandalari will require a new model in Low Poly, you forget this is Vanilla, and you posted a HD Model.
2. The model will require a new skeleton, or at least, recycle the skeleton of the Night Elf or High Elf.
3. I prefer the Amani Trolls as a race instead the Amani, the Amani Trolls here are neutral to both factions.