Tank spec for hunters

Calli

Tank spec for hunters

Post by Calli » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:43 am

Idk why people are after this weird idea of melee hunter, when we got many good and viable melee dd with different aspects and specializations. The server is crowded with melee damage dealers already. Retpals, warriors, rogues, even most of the shamans are melee. Survival specialization should be a TANK specc to increase the number of tanks on server and give hunters more utility. Currently the hunter's melee abilities are tied to them being the target. They could be mainly avoidance tanks and damage reduction would be available with their pet sharing the damage or getting crushing blow or crit instead of the hunter, sacrificing itself, or taking over from their master in dire needs. It could be implemented with very small changes, so survival specc could get even a raid spot as offtank.
It would be a very unique playstyle. All credit goes to this guy viewtopic.php?t=1197

Drenari

Re: Tank spec for hunters

Post by Drenari » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:03 pm

It would be easier to make BM a possible tank spec since that is what the pet does for you anyhow. If you need more threat on the pet just add in misdirection. Grab some +healing gear to max out mend pet.

Hyrag
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Hyrag » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:27 pm

for me surival should be a melee support spec in raids with things like expose weakeness but for melee AP or increased hit aura for melee

Toaonyk

Post by Toaonyk » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:51 pm

How about a t5 or t7 talent that kinda works like sacrifice for Warlocks, i.e. you dismiss your pet and get a humongous buff to your survivability?

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:06 am

Fusion-ha! Combine with your wolf pet to like like a Worgen! Haha
Duvall 60 Hunter
Velissa 35 Priest
Calmore 60 Shaman Tank
Malcore 45 Warlock
Splodax 28 Rogue
Ghostbc 40 Paladin
Hanami 60 Druid
Reidobosu 34 Warrior

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:31 am

Well for a more serious response, it could be like a dual-wielding parry/dodge tank in line with demon hunter.
Duvall 60 Hunter
Velissa 35 Priest
Calmore 60 Shaman Tank
Malcore 45 Warlock
Splodax 28 Rogue
Ghostbc 40 Paladin
Hanami 60 Druid
Reidobosu 34 Warrior

Volkyte

Post by Volkyte » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 am

I think game has already enough tanks specs to roam about.

Azuredrak0

Post by Azuredrak0 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:39 pm

Volkyte wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 am
I partially agree, and yet, dungeon queues usually wait for Tanks.

In any case - a tanky version of Survival Hunter is an interesting idea. It might even fit the fantasy of a "survival" hunter, who can "survive" a hit or two.

There's also some interesting items that would very much favor a 2 hander tanking build. The biggest issue I see with this is mostly threat at this point, and to produce more threat in melee, hunter requires either talents that modify threat, or more damage that they can do to generate threat. There's also no cleave damage missing in the toolkit to grab any form of group threat without feign death. However, hunters do have a potentially very powerful tanking cooldown. If rogues can sorta tank, why not hunters?

One interesting proposition would be to bake in some changes into row 6 and 7 in the talent tree. Here's an interesting proposal:
Lightning Reflexes - replace effect with increased melee attack speed 1-10% in melee
Wyvern Sting - replace and bring back Lacerate and scale accordingly. If it's anything like Druid ability in later iterations of WoW, it's a dot can that be tab-applied on multiple targets in melee, and will help hold threat.

Coupled with gear, talents and some tweaks, Hunters can potentially tank. It also give Distracting shot additional utility for when you see your target running for the ranged. Fun idea.

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:23 pm

At least for dungeon tank, explosive trap would help with AOE threat and multi shot to pull
Duvall 60 Hunter
Velissa 35 Priest
Calmore 60 Shaman Tank
Malcore 45 Warlock
Splodax 28 Rogue
Ghostbc 40 Paladin
Hanami 60 Druid
Reidobosu 34 Warrior

Azuredrak0

Post by Azuredrak0 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:11 pm

Augustfenix85 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:23 pm
At least for dungeon tank, explosive trap would help with AOE threat and multi shot to pull
You mean on pull, right? You can't use explosive trap mid fight, and feigning death immediately drops agro.
I think the issue will be holding threat on primary target, even in dungeons.

Volkyte

Post by Volkyte » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:12 pm

Azuredrak0 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:39 pm
Volkyte wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 am
I partially agree, and yet, dungeon queues usually wait for Tanks.
this is because in ally 90% roll ret paladin or fury warr.
Game needs no more tank specs. Simply ppl should stop rolling dps.