Is there any lore for this?

Insiderdevi

Is there any lore for this?

Post by Insiderdevi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:39 am

Is there any lore for this? Seems unlikely.

Zvyrhol
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Is there any lore for this?

Post by Zvyrhol » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 am

Lore of Paladins. High Elves can be paladins so they builded statue of one of the greatest paladins. But yeah, in my opinion Elves should have another hero-paladin that would represent their faction.
The devil is in the detail.
viewtopic.php?t=13520

Insiderdevi

Post by Insiderdevi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:07 pm

And Uther is taking the center spot... WTF

Elisleris

Post by Elisleris » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:20 pm

But why you decide that this is Uther? On description said that here are Quel’talas defenders. For me that noname paladin, who died at scourge invasion.

Zvyrhol

Post by Zvyrhol » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:31 pm

Elisleris wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:20 pm
But why you decide that this is Uther? On description said that here are Quel’talas defenders. For me that noname paladin, who died at scourge invasion.
Because the statue looks like Uther's unit from Warcraft 3. And the same statue is located in Western Plaguelands in Uther's Tomb.
viewtopic.php?t=13520

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:58 pm

Elf paladins aren't lore friendly to begin with but it'd make sense that humans would have taught some of them, hence a human paladin statue.

Erhog

Post by Erhog » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:17 am

There was at least one High Elf paladin confirmed, ut High Elves pretty racist due to they are descendants of highbornes as known as kaldorei so they are even rejected following commands of their brothers Night Elves and Malfurion itself - that's the reason why they are even exists. If we look at wowpedia https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/High_elf:
Around this time, they had become completely severed from the life-giving energy of the Well of Eternity. This meant that they were vulnerable to the elements and had not received immortality from Nozdormu and the World Tree. They had shrunk in height and their skin had become a peach hue similar to most dwarves and humans. The high elves soon discovered primitive humans, but associated little with them.
King Anasterian Sunstrider only subsequently sent a small, token, fleet to aid the Alliance. Some high elves, however, disobeyed the king's orders, choosing instead to join in the fight against the orcs, and answering Lothar's call to war.
Following the war, some high elves blamed the humans' poor leadership for the burning of their forests. King Terenas of Lordaeron reminded them that nothing of Quel'Thalas would have remained if not for the hundreds of humans that gave their lives to defend it, but nevertheless, the high elves largely abandoned the Alliance and retreated to their kingdom.
On an alliance side there is a quest to kill Nathanos Blightcaller. He was the only human ranger-lord and there is a reason for this https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Nathanos_Blightcaller:
Following Sylvanas's ascension to ranger-general of the Farstriders, she commanded that Nathanos be inducted into their order.[7] Nathanos Marris was the first and only human ranger[3] as well as the only human ranger lord, the highest rank in the Farstriders' hierarchy below the ranger-general. His inclusion in their ranks was not without its conflicts. Nathanos was on the receiving end of prejudice from his elven comrades, many of whom objected to the presence of a human in their ranks.
I think High Elves are still thinking abut themselves as the supreme race due to they are descendants of the nobles of oldest race - cmon why they will praise humans which they are seen something like in ape-state while they already was nobles who are defended Azeroth vs Burning Legion? I'm pretty sure statue of Uther should be removed.

Sylveria
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Sylveria » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:41 am

Erhog wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:17 am
There was at least one High Elf paladin confirmed, ut High Elves pretty racist due to they are descendants of highbornes as known as kaldorei so they are even rejected following commands of their brothers Night Elves and Malfurion itself - that's the reason why they are even exists. If we look at wowpedia https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/High_elf:
Around this time, they had become completely severed from the life-giving energy of the Well of Eternity. This meant that they were vulnerable to the elements and had not received immortality from Nozdormu and the World Tree. They had shrunk in height and their skin had become a peach hue similar to most dwarves and humans. The high elves soon discovered primitive humans, but associated little with them.
King Anasterian Sunstrider only subsequently sent a small, token, fleet to aid the Alliance. Some high elves, however, disobeyed the king's orders, choosing instead to join in the fight against the orcs, and answering Lothar's call to war.
Following the war, some high elves blamed the humans' poor leadership for the burning of their forests. King Terenas of Lordaeron reminded them that nothing of Quel'Thalas would have remained if not for the hundreds of humans that gave their lives to defend it, but nevertheless, the high elves largely abandoned the Alliance and retreated to their kingdom.
On an alliance side there is a quest to kill Nathanos Blightcaller. He was the only human ranger-lord and there is a reason for this https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Nathanos_Blightcaller:
Following Sylvanas's ascension to ranger-general of the Farstriders, she commanded that Nathanos be inducted into their order.[7] Nathanos Marris was the first and only human ranger[3] as well as the only human ranger lord, the highest rank in the Farstriders' hierarchy below the ranger-general. His inclusion in their ranks was not without its conflicts. Nathanos was on the receiving end of prejudice from his elven comrades, many of whom objected to the presence of a human in their ranks.
I think High Elves are still thinking abut themselves as the supreme race due to they are descendants of the nobles of oldest race - cmon why they will praise humans which they are seen something like in ape-state while they already was nobles who are defended Azeroth vs Burning Legion? I'm pretty sure statue of Uther should be removed.
Some of those informations are btw. post-vanilla retcons. In WarCraft II the High Elves joined the Alliance since a group or Elven Archers has been rescued by the Alliance of Lordaeron when they were captured by Orcs.
Zvyrhol wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:31 pm
Because the statue looks like Uther's unit from Warcraft 3. And the same statue is located in Western Plaguelands in Uther's Tomb.
"Uther Unit from WarCraft 3" - ehm.. i'd like to remind, that there were also some other paladins who looked very similar to Uther in WarCraft 3.. like those who were killed by Arthas during the Undead (RoC) and the Scourge (TFT) campaign. ;)

Zvyrhol

Post by Zvyrhol » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:07 am

Mavbyte wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:41 am
"Uther Unit from WarCraft 3" - ehm.. i'd like to remind, that there were also some other paladins who looked very similar to Uther in WarCraft 3.. like those who were killed by Arthas during the Undead (RoC) and the Scourge (TFT) campaign. ;)
True. But the fact that the statue was reserved to represent Uther in Western Plaguelands Uther's Tomb in WoW lore is already the strongest argument. Suggesting that the monument represent other paladin would be weird especially on a server where devs respect lore and treat it serious. That's my assumption devs know that the statue represents Uther.
viewtopic.php?t=13520

Sylveria

Post by Sylveria » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:35 am

At the current point i don't know about the exact background about the paladin statue in Alah'thalas. Another possibility might be, that it's functioning as a placeholder till they have a new model of their own to place there.

Zulnam

Post by Zulnam » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 am

Yeah tbh Uther doesn't make much sense. Especially in the center stage.

Unless I am missing something, he was never a major personality in high elf lore. And while high elves can be paladins, their society is based around magic, not religion.

But meh. I imagine after this thread and with time the statues will get improved.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:27 pm

Erhog wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:17 am
Alah'Thalas itself was rebuild with support of the Alliance by Vereesa's elves - and Vereesa is a big enthusiast of unity between elves and the Alliance. Heck, this girl is the main reason high elves are playable (lorewise). Besides, Thalassian Highlands are defending by Alliance army. So ask yourself is there a reason for them to have a statue of a paladin in their capital?

Erhog

Post by Erhog » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:42 pm

Besides, Thalassian Highlands are defending by Alliance army. So ask yourself is there a reason for them to have a statue of a paladin in their capital?
And High Elves are helped Alliance in their war vs horde - that's why there is Alleria statue in SW afair coz she was with Lothar in their journey in Dark Portal but what Uther did to the High Elves at first? And while High Elves still remain part of the alliance moreover that's was High Elves who are opened path of arcane magic to human and started teaching them magic so alliance just helped to them. But they are still with the mindset of arrogant nobles in most of them. Anyway - why there is no statues of dwarfs or gnomes or night elves which are much closer to them and their only difference is in their attitude to arcane magic?

Moreover most humans also shares their distaste to HE - easiest example came to mind is Garrison which was one of the reasons why in official timeline most HE turned into Blood Elves and sided with nagas.

Grin

Post by Grin » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:01 am

Elvish paladins are a myth that never existed nor should. It's against ToS. Better question is "Forsaken paladins WHEN?".

Thol

Post by Thol » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:39 am

Grin wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:01 am
Elvish paladins are a myth that never existed nor should. It's against ToS. Better question is "Forsaken paladins WHEN?".
Undead Paladin = Death Knight

Grin

Post by Grin » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:56 am

Thol wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:39 am
Grin wrote:
Undead Paladin = Death Knight
High elf priests who adore the sun on the other hand...

Dracarusggotham

Post by Dracarusggotham » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:20 pm

Grin wrote:
The Holy Light was adopted by the elves after working with the Arathor Empire in the Troll Wars.
Is not a mith.
And NO, NEVER, I REFUSE IT.
The undead paladins are a mistake only comparable with the Tauren Paladins.

Insiderdevi

Post by Insiderdevi » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:05 pm

I see that we agree on something: that this statue feels off taking the center stage.