Night Elf Gender Roles

Steakhouse

Night Elf Gender Roles

Post by Steakhouse » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:45 pm

On race-class combo topics I see people often mentioning that "all night elf women are warriors, priestesses, or hunters, all night elf males are druids". This seems to be bogus to me, the night elves have always had civilians ? Is there any other source than "all dude night elf units are druids in warcraft 3" ?

Dracarusggotham
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Night Elf Gender Roles

Post by Dracarusggotham » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:56 pm

Steakhouse wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:45 pm
On race-class combo topics I see people often mentioning that "all night elf women are warriors, priestesses, or hunters, all night elf males are druids". This seems to be bogus to me, the night elves have always had civilians ? Is there any other source than "all dude night elf units are druids in warcraft 3" ?
In Darnassus, I can't remember now but you can't see male guards as I can remember now(I can't go in-game now but I will check it later), In-game you can create male warriors and female druids, so that's an official source I guess, plus, check if you can see Female Druid Class Masters.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:03 pm

Indeed, before the end of the Third War, both Cenarion Circle and Sisterhood of Elune had strict gender division. Women couldn't become druids and men couldn't become priests - or, at least, be official members of these organizations. Such division was mentioned both in WC3 manuals and Warcraft Encyclopedia.
But warriors/hunters... It's a bit more tricky. I believe nobody would stop a night elf man from learning martial arts or hunting. Of course, there should be combatants among elven men, but they just weren't a part of Sentinel army. Remember that at first Sentinels, like Watchers, came from the Sisterhood so no wonder they were all females.
But anyway, "all druids were men" doesn't mean "all men were druids". There were combatants, smithes, fishers and tailors of any gender.

Rfelleto

Post by Rfelleto » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:15 am

If I recall correctly Chronicles 1 covers their societal structure I think this information is included there in the Well of Eternity part

Grin

Post by Grin » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:11 am

During the War of the Ancients ten thousand years ago the Well of Eternity was destroyed and lands became of change. For restoration night elves entered hibernation and traversed into the emerald dream afterwards. Due to the reason that the task itself involved similar aspect to that of the calamity of the war itself, it was bestowed upon the men of their society to burden its responsibilities. Thus they were appointed to druidism and the females of the age remained to guard life.