And so too did Garrick. The piercing thrust from his dagger glanced to the side and only left a painful bruise on the girl’s side but the backlash of cold energy snapped through his entire arm. He looked down at it and just barely noticed another cold spell forming in the girl’s free hand. Without thinking, he jabbed his knees in Abigail’s stomach and slogged her as hard as he still could. The poor girl’s world had suddenly turned upside down and the room swirled around her. She was knocked out completely.
- “That was… a close one…” he panted, holding his arm. “Your friend almost had me there but… in the end it was all useless.”
A shadow dashed quickly across the room, putting out the candles and hitting Lloyd, who was getting ready to take down Milly. The strong thug felt a cold pain in his chest, where he had been struck, only it was not quite freezing but more… empty.
- “Boss… I-I can’t see!!” he shouted out.
- “What the…?” Garrick paused.
- “She gave me enough time…” Lem spoke with a deep and serious tone. “… to end this!”
With the candles extinguished, the room had become rather dark once more. The three rogues were caught completely by surprise and now they were at a disadvantage. The gnome could see them quite well, even in this darkness.
Garrick was now in trouble. He did not catch the position of his new enemy, nor the threat he posed. But he guessed it was another mage. His men were out of their wits or badly hurt and they were in the dark. He had to act real fast.
He dashed over to the nearest window behind the sofa, narrowly avoiding something dark that just whizzed past him. Almost desperately, he tore off the curtains to let some light in.
Fran, who had been down for the count for much of the fight, had just regained himself. Seeing his boss tearing down curtains, he knew what he had to do. He rushed over to the front door and gave it a strong kick. The old rusty hinges gave way and the birch door fell outside in the mud.
The room was now only half dark and the bandits felt their odds improving. Garrick had finally located the gnome’s position and, in the streaming moonlight, he even recognized him.
- “YOU!?” he yelled out in surprise.
- “You’re the shortstop we took that book from!” Garrick recollected.
- “I’d much like to have that back now…” Lem was not too amused by the remark.
- Hah “You think I haul that paperweight around with me?”
- “I guess I will just have to search your body later…” the gnome gave him a cold glare, which did not go unnoticed by the rogue leader.
- Bwahahhaha “You what?” Fran cackled. “Big talk from such a small thing.”
- “Watch out Fran, this one’s a spellcaster too. And a more dangerous one…”
- “Yeah I know. Last time, he was a pushover… ‘oh! where am I? huh? Who are you?’ hahhaha easiest pickings ever!” the sly rogue gloated.
- “It’s two for one… We can take him from both sides!” Garrick gave the command.