Survival Master

Unangwata

Survival Master

Post by Unangwata » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:38 pm

This is going to be my last suggestion since there is work on expansion, no point to distract devs.

True survival skill's essence is to be independent of outside sources, rely on yourself.
So the mastery skill could allow 2 things:

gather wood- creates simple wood with 5min cd
make linen cloth- creates 5 pieces of linen cloth with 2h cd

Flint&Tinder actually requires outside resource (steel) so it's ok to buy it. (unless you want to make fire with sticks).

Snigery

Re: Survival Master

Post by Snigery » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Huh, I really like this idea. I love the idea of 'creating' Linen Cloths. But maybe there is some ingame resource that would be required to make the cloths? and maybe there would be ranks that allow making higher tier cloths? It'd be nice to not have to farm if off enemies.

I don't really care much for the survival skill as it is. It seems like it's purpose is to just make tents, and I have not gotten to that level yet. I think as long as this is super moderated given a higher population of players could flood market with instantly generated items if no resources are required, then I'd love to see this.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 pm

The idea is more to supplement survival skill. For tent or fire u need wood and linen cloth. Survival Master would be able to make tent or fire at any situation without bothering to carry/get reagents rather than produce those items for other purpose. Such is long cooldown.

Snigery

Post by Snigery » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:03 am

So why add the skill to create these items than reduce or remove the requirements for the tent? What is the purpose? Are you just asking for them to lower the material costs?

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:40 am

Unangwata wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:38 pm
gather wood- creates simple wood with 5min cd
At that point, you're basically trying to Conjure Simple Wood ala Mages conjuring bread and water.
This is also a vendor item that can be purchased (cheap!) from any General Trade Goods vendor.

You're describing a redundant solution in search of a problem.
Unangwata wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:38 pm
make linen cloth- creates 5 pieces of linen cloth with 2h cd
Easier to just go farm Humanoids who are around Level 15 or lower.
Again ... more trouble than it's worth.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:40 am

Or buy the cloth off the auction house to support players who just started playing. There is no logical way to "make linen cloth". Make it out of what? Magically?

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:12 am

Sometimes I give people way too much credit...

Ok.
Game technical wise: As master you don't have to carry reagents with you if you want use tent every 2h cd or build quick fire for cooking.

RP wise: what survival is it if you have to go back to the city and buy materials to build fire or tent..

And yeah you can make linen cloth in survival situation and much more. I guess you spent too much of your life in a building.

I also meet people in arena who forget to get linen or wood for their tents, sometimes other people have spare sometime not.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:56 am

So basically what you're wanting ... without coming out and actually saying it ... is that you want to be able to create tents on a longer cooldown which don't require materials that are consumed by the construction. You want to "net zero" the construction costs of putting up a tent ... because it's too much of a hassle for people to gather those materials, even though the materials are dirt cheap to purchase (Simple Wood) and farm (Linen Cloth).
Unangwata wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:12 am
Game technical wise: As master you don't have to carry reagents with you if you want use tent every 2h cd or build quick fire for cooking.
There. You see? That wasn't so hard to admit.
You want a 150 skill version of the create tent item that no longer uses reagents to create the tent. It just makes the tent "out of nothing" on a 2h cooldown.

Viola ... tent conjuring.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:13 pm

I like the idea of harvesting simple wood from nodes, like gardening profession we have. As for linen cloth, what if we scavenged linen cloth from low level cloth items? This would probably not be possible game mechanics wise, but I think it makes more sense than having a CD to basically create free linen.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Roxanneflowers wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:56 am
You want a 150 skill version of the create tent item that no longer uses reagents to create the tent. It just makes the tent "out of nothing" on a 2h cooldown.
It may be how your brain works.
I was clear, you still need reagents but you can gather them yourself as a master survivalist.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:13 pm
but I think it makes more sense than having a CD to basically create free linen.
Look at it like 2h cd is the time you make the cloth with flax u gathered and tools you crafted.

Whole idea is to reward people for capping the skill, and give some RP options.
No problem if it doesn't seem necessary. It isn't game breaking whether it is in game or not.

Fizzeek

Post by Fizzeek » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Great idea! Enough of my bags are permanently used from everything else I have to carry, it'd be nice to not have to always be lugging around wood and linen as well. Plus it fits the theme nicely of being a survivalist. The reagents created could be soulbound so nobody has to worry about flooding the markets with free versions of cheap stuff.

Failing that, the idea of a "conjured" tent has merit too. Survivalists can build lean-to structures out of foliage and wood. Voila, instant tent taken direct from your surroundings. Maybe this version of the tent could be more green in hue to reflect that. No actual difference, just cosmetic for RP purposes. Plus a reason to get survival capped.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Fizzeek wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:36 pm
Failing that, the idea of a "conjured" tent has merit too. Survivalists can build lean-to structures out of foliage and wood. Voila, instant tent taken direct from your surroundings. Maybe this version of the tent could be more green in hue to reflect that. No actual difference, just cosmetic for RP purposes. Plus a reason to get survival capped.
I actually lived in a tent like that. But for game mechanics it would be more simple to make items required I think plus problem with fire solved. Although it seems fine idea too.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:57 pm

That's the thing, you get the resources from the world. You can cut wood to get it. But it won't work in the game as a skill, a skill that you can use anywhere no matter where you are. You just fiddle with your hand for 5 secs and boom there's [Simple Wood] in your inventory. You could rationalize that it's actually gathering the wood I guess, as it's just wood, nothing fancy about it, you can get wood out of any tree. but there's still the fact that not all zones are forested or have trees in them. And the linen cloth, it just doesn't make sense. There is no way you can make linen cloth just like that outside. You can use makeshift alternatives like long leaves or some bag you keep with you, not linen cloth itself. No to conjuring cloth on a cooldown as it makes no sense. A tent that does not require the cloth that you only get at 150 skill, sure. It encourages people to actually level up the profession. Keep the simple wood cost though, stocking up from vendors is a key part of vanilla, every class does it to some extent, and all professions do too. Survival is for mastering the outdoors, but it still uses sophisticated tools for the sake of convenience of the survivalist. We are not going full Primitive Technology mode with the profession after all.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Man stop getting too realistic. Gather wood skill speaks for itself, u use it, u gather wood and bam you end up with simple wood. You don't need to emulate axe and chopping down the tree.
What's your problem, can't get flexible ?

And you lack of knowledge. For trained person going to wilderness is like for you going into market. What is survival situation for you, fighting for your life, for that person is like going home.
They can tell man is half a mile away and that there is bear north just by the sound of bids. By look at the ground they know who passed this way,how long ago, and where they went. They know what to do and where they are.

Like I said, too much life in a building.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Please avoid personal attacks. Keep everything civil <3
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29