What do you like and dislike about the philosophy and functionalities behind the upcoming fresh server?

Fastideus123

What do you like and dislike about the philosophy and functionalities behind the upcoming fresh server?

Post by Fastideus123 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:32 pm

Hey there,

Simple debate I wanted to start : what are the elements mentioned about the fresh server that you really like and those that you dislike (or that you're worried about)?

/Debate

Daedric

Re: What do you like and dislike about the philosophy and functionalities behind the upcoming fresh server?

Post by Daedric » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:39 pm

Personally, I'm not a "Fresh Server" guy. I'd like to stick on the same server for a long, long time. Only reason I'm rolling on this one is because it's PVP- and that's what I've been waiting for. I worry people will flood it because FRESH and then just move on to the next fresh server somewhere else- causing a bit of a population issue at first. But I think it'll smooth out over time,.

Bigsmerf

Re: What do you like and dislike about the philosophy and functionalities behind the upcoming fresh server?

Post by Bigsmerf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:40 pm

Those short ass phases. It took almost a literal year to get to 60 on this server and I don't have the time, hardware or patience to rush to 60, find a guild, get geared, get benched for a fury warrior, and maybe do professions in a matter of two months. I'm a casual fan of the game, not a giga parsing world buffing naxx raiding mtn dew baja blast chugging mount collecting slightly balding mom banging min maxing world chat trolling alliance ganking (Oh wait no I do that) meta slavi- I mean gaming gooby snoobert.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Fresharugula

Post by Fresharugula » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:46 pm

Fresh hype will bring people in. Will die after 2 months due to faction imbalance (paladin gonna dominate so hard) and the fresh hype wearing off as people hit 60 and clear content.

Fastideus123

Post by Fastideus123 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:47 pm

Daedric wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:39 pm
Personally, I'm not a "Fresh Server" guy. I'd like to stick on the same server for a long, long time. Only reason I'm rolling on this one is because it's PVP- and that's what I've been waiting for. I worry people will flood it because FRESH and then just move on to the next fresh server somewhere else- causing a bit of a population issue at first. But I think it'll smooth out over time,.
The current one is not? (I don't know btw, I'm really new to turtle wow)

Fastideus123

Post by Fastideus123 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:48 pm

Bigsmerf wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:40 pm
Those short ass phases. It took almost a literal year to get to 60 on this server and I don't have the time, hardware or patience to rush to 60, find a guild, get geared, get benched for a fury warrior, and maybe do professions in a matter of two months. I'm a casual fan of the game, not a giga parsing world buffing naxx raiding mtn dew baja blast chugging mount collecting slightly balding mom banging min maxing world chat trolling alliance ganking (Oh wait no I do that) meta slavi- I mean gaming gooby snoobert.
I'll have to admit that I like to chill for months every phase : gear up slowly, do some pvp on the side. 9 months seems awfully short.

Maybe the community could do a poll or something to show the team whether they like this or not?

I'd much rather get a 1.5 years lasting server...

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:58 pm

I love that more fresh and classic chads as well as pvp lowbie gankers will be taking up less time on the main server.

Daedric

Post by Daedric » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:08 pm

Fastideus123 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:47 pm
Daedric wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:39 pm
The current one is not? (I don't know btw, I'm really new to turtle wow)
No, the current one is PVE- with Warmode which is a somewhat-broken opt-in mechanic for PVP. You can have cross-faction interactions, etc. It's very much a PVE server.

The new one is PVP- flagged in enemy territory, no cross-faction interaction, etc.

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:24 pm

I'm not against a PvP realm ( also meaning less population on the PvE realm)
But i'll certainly enjoy the Drama in the forum

I have noticed that there are members of the community
that can't tell the difference between a blue and a green name
or what a PvP - PvE realm means

So, my advice is, stay on the PvE realm with no WM
or be prepared for the "unfair" War that contested Zones will become
If you start crying in the forum, i'll be here to welcome you!!!
Czasku wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:50 pm

Philosophy-wise, there is a false idea that everything TWoW is, is incompatible with PvP, as if actual PvE players cared about roleplaying, lore, vanilla values etc. People that do that might or might not also consider faction conflict as an essential part of the franchise (which isn't a subjective matter, it is the foundation of warcraft, whether one chooses to engage in it or not).

There can be a focus on:
the journey vs the destination
levelling vs endgame (raiding/ranks)
roleplaying vs gamer mindset
lore vs balance
world activity vs instanced activity
vanilla vs retail

But there is no RP-PvE vs PvP, people that are solely into PvE rush through levelling to raid, care about the sense of progression, min-maxing, but might not care at all about all Turtle WoW is about. And people that like to also do PvP apart from PvE (these "PvP players" that are supposedly anti-TWoW) might very much enjoy everything TWoW has to offer.
If anything, there is PvE+anti-PvP vs PvE+PvP.

In WoW you can do PvE and PvP.
There might be some people that completely minimize PvE and only care about PvP, those are the actual PvP players and they are a minority.
Most people engaging in PvP, are also into PvE, they aren't anti-PvE, only because there are PvE players that are anti-PvP.

PvP+PvE attracts more people than only PvE. But liking to do also PvP doesn't mean one is not in line with the values of Turtle WoW, and vice-versa. From the WoWs fantasy world perspective there are no mobs and players, there are orcs and humans. Unless you are Rp+PvE+PvP, you won't get the full experience of what warcraft is about, you want to be anti-one of those things, you are free to do so, but don't try to claim monopoly on any other aspect of the game because of it.

From lore perspective, from roleplaying perspective, what would make the most sense is an RP-PvP server with a diplomat profession that allows first being as if one was on a PvE server, then working up to being able to communicate with the enemy faction members that also choose to be diplomats, trade, and eventually group up, engaging in PvP against ones faction would be treason, but should be possible with repercussions. The original server + warmode is a good alternative though.

Nevertheless, this false preconception of PvE being automatically pro-RP and PvP anti-RP snowballed into a self fulfilling prophecy.
And perhaps there is a reason why the new server isn't Rp-PvP and why it lacks turtle challenges, why the phases are so quick.
It is a fact that with the growing population we got many players that are not in line with what TWoW is about, so perhaps this is a way to redirect them, the same way SEA servers redirected the chinese (hopefully they'll be able to transfer their chars soon).
Last edited by Mativh on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Rnab

Post by Rnab » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:57 pm

I'm new to turtle wow and recently quit classic era because I couldnt afford to pay gold for raid drops. Looking forward to a fresh start free of GDKP guilds and botters.

Charanko
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Charanko » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:29 pm

Phase 1 should last at least minimum of 4 to 6months imo
Orky
Overlord of Orgrimmar ; Sulfuron Champion

Rnab

Post by Rnab » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:23 pm

Charanko wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:29 pm
cant remember that well but didnt BWL in actual vanilla take a year to be released? I think it was released late '05 and the game came out nov. '04. Might be wrong there.

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:38 pm

Launching a PvP server without doing a class rebalance just seems completely idiotic to me. As if they want it to be dead on arrival.
Turtle is notorious for having terrible PvP balance due to the myriad of custom changes.

Gnomoerectus

Post by Gnomoerectus » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:56 pm

Charanko wrote:
Personally I wish phase two would get lengthened than phase one. I'd rather pull my teeth out than farm Molten Core for monnths.

Pureavatar

Post by Pureavatar » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:14 pm

I'm actually expecting many of the players on the server to eventually complain about PvP and try to get special rules installed. They're going there because it's a new server and they want to participate in the phase release schedule. They couldn't care less about PvP.

Charanko
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Charanko » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 pm

Gnomoerectus wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:56 pm
Charanko wrote:
Personally I wish phase two would get lengthened than phase one. I'd rather pull my teeth out than farm Molten Core for monnths.
No one said it couldnt be, would be lovley if all phases were at least twice as long as they were announced
Orky
Overlord of Orgrimmar ; Sulfuron Champion

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:38 pm

I honestly don't have anything positive to say about the additional realm beyond the fact that it is an additional realm. It may as well be it's own isolated server on a different URL, though, as it has no connection whatsoever to the existing realm in both the literal and the functional senses. No cross-play Battlegrounds or Dungeons, no realm transfers (for the time), nothing.

What I dislike about the new realm is that it pretty much guts the philosophy that founded the server to begin with and gets rid of a lot of fun features and functionality, like cross+faction interactions and challenge runs. I can understand not having cross-faction play. That's not exactly conducive to a formal war. I really don't see much point is disabling optional challenges, though. They're opt-in, not mandatory.

That's my two copper he matter. But beyond that, DarkTifa said it best:
Darktifa wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:24 pm
I'm not against a PvP realm ( also meaning less population on the PvE realm)
But i'll certainly enjoy the Drama in the forum
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~