A possible wet debuff

Justifried

A possible wet debuff

Post by Justifried » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:55 am

hey, i was thinking it would be cool if say you were standing in the rain or just came out of the water you'd be debuffed until your dry or warm (a timed thing like 1 or 2 minutes) so it would be more incentive to throw down campfires to warm up. and being under tent would stop the debuff as well. (I also noticed the rain goes through the canopy of the tent but i dont think that's fixable)

Maybe only for Hardcore players? I play hardcore and I love the struggle.

Also the debuff would go away if you're fighting for more than 30'seconds since your character would be full of adrenaline and working.

A small debuff like 1-2 stam and spirit. then scaling up as you level, or vice versa.

what do you think?

Thanks! You turtles are amazing!

Mac

Re: A possible wet debuff

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Interesting. I think a Spirit debuff would be fitting given campfires grant a Spirit buff.

Deadcrow

Post by Deadcrow » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:26 pm

I second this. Maybe tie in an option for food and drink as well. Add to the masochist playstyle.

Axoc

Post by Axoc » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:37 am

Support. The debuff may need to be either longer or more severe in order to really incentivize campfires though - a ~90 sec -2 SPI debuff isn't really bad enough to justify it outside of purely RP reasons (which wouldn't need the debuff tbh) in my opinion.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 pm

To be honest, an attribute debuff feels a lot like a solution in search of a problem.

Now, a movement speed debuff ... even if it was -5% for 30 seconds ... would be enough of an incentive to people to not get wet "casually" or for no good reason. The debuff would be applied only if your character has to resort to a swimming animation. Or if you want to make it easier to track game mechanically, the debuff gets triggered by the appearance of the Breath bar for being underwater (although that would mean that Water Breathing would negate the debuff).

Overall though, this kind of thing is probably more trouble than it's worth to try and implement.

Sinrek
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Sinrek » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 pm

What about deserts? Jungles? Wintery zones?

One debuff per weather effect isn't a complete suggestion. Would you think it through, please?
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Justifried

Post by Justifried » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 am

Sinrek wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 pm
What about deserts? Jungles? Wintery zones?

One debuff per weather effect isn't a complete suggestion. Would you think it through, please?
it's a starting point, like most suggestions.

Maybe the Desert has a hot debuff. Cloth armor wearers probably wouldnt be effected. drinks cool you down as well.

Winter same thing except cold when it snows. cloth armor weares more effected.

not hard to get creative with it. :)

It rains in most places anyways that's why i thought it would be interesting.
make it a glyph like exhaustion or hardcore.
Get it from speedy.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:12 am

Justifried wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 am
Except ... it's more of a can of worms ... that is best not to open ...

Justifried

Post by Justifried » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Roxanneflowers wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:12 am
Justifried wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 am
Except ... it's more of a can of worms ... that is best not to open ...
It's for people like me, who want the toughest experience.

That's why a glyph is fine. you wouldn't have to pick it up, therefore, it doesn't effect you.

Jam

Post by Jam » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:33 pm

I'm with Justifried on this one. Any optional feature that adds difficulty to the game and can tie into the RPG or survival feel, I'm likely going to be down with. While suggesting one debuff isn't a complete suggestion, I don't feel that the seed should be dismissed. The legwork on multiple types of survival/weather gameplay changes have been made and detailed in other games or in mods. Find a link or a description of a system that is similar to what you're after, post it here and then throw some notes in that make it flow within Azeroth.
“The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there.. and still on your feet.”

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:16 pm

That is the opportunity to bring in RPG into MMORPG again.

There's an interesting idea, no doubt hard work incoming, however, will folks recognize the opportunity?

Deadcrow

Post by Deadcrow » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Ooohh, the environment system could really synergize with the other skills too. Tailor for hot and cold weather, leatherwork to make water resistant clothes, heavy armor makes you swim slower, added depth to the game. It would be no small feat but so worth it in the end I think

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 pm

But… But it's tailors who can make Azure Silk Belt which increases swim speed by 15%! That's why I'm asking to think it through in details before we change anything!

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:35 am

Sinrek wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 pm
But… But it's tailors who can make Azure Silk Belt which increases swim speed by 15%! That's why I'm asking to think it through in details before we change anything!
That's one of the foundational issues. The game simply wasn't BUILT to make this kind of distinction, and the itemization progression doesn't lend itself (well) to this kind of expansion by default.

Pumpkinbot

Post by Pumpkinbot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:32 am

I like the idea of this, but I do feel it needs to be an opt-in sort of thing. I'd love a "Glyph of Immersion" that adds a bunch of stuff like this. Small nuisances or bonuses that really don't make a huge difference, but lets you feel a bit more immersed in the world. Fire resistance and frost weakness if you're outside in a cold zone for too long? The opposite if you're outside in a hot zone for too long? Disable these if you're in a battleground or raid, of course.

Deadcrow

Post by Deadcrow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 pm

That would be awesome.

Warrians

Post by Warrians » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Pumpkinbot wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:32 am
I like the idea of this, but I do feel it needs to be an opt-in sort of thing. I'd love a "Glyph of Immersion" that adds a bunch of stuff like this. Small nuisances or bonuses that really don't make a huge difference, but lets you feel a bit more immersed in the world. Fire resistance and frost weakness if you're outside in a cold zone for too long? The opposite if you're outside in a hot zone for too long? Disable these if you're in a battleground or raid, of course.
Agreed on the opt-in and Immersion glyph part - Without option, you are literally forcing everyone* to think this idea is good, and eventualy we will find some sort of hole in the plan. However survival mods seem troublesome to implement even in single player games like skyrim, think about it adding hunger, thirst, cold heat and wet to a MMO. The good people of this server did and do their best to implement a lot of things that Blizzard did not - But on the other hand, there were always reasons why those features were not implemented, ranging from economy, balance, and even stability.

Deadcrow

Post by Deadcrow » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:29 pm

My two cents would be to keep it to a debuff. Maybe one tied to hunger and thirst? So there would be an incentive to eat and drink past regen; the wet debuff could only be for five minutes at most?