Random Freezes prompting force re-starts?

Dannyp92

Random Freezes prompting force re-starts?

Post by Dannyp92 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:45 am

The game freezes sometime every day or every other day. When it happens I cannot tab out or bring up Task Manager, so I have to force re-start my computer. Sometimes there will be weird noises coming from the speakers during the freeze. This started happening 1-2 months ago.

I have to admit that I have a lot of dust inside the computer (a gaming computer), which might be the cause. However, the freezes have only happened while having the TWoW client active on the task bar.

I have tried deleting the WDB-folder. Can addons cause problems like these if they aren't updated?

Thoughts?

Darktifa

Re: Random Freezes prompting force re-starts?

Post by Darktifa » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:35 pm

if your pc freezes, it has nothing to do with wow
Czasku wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Dannyp92

Post by Dannyp92 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:52 am

[Update]: I've quit using Chrome and am currently using Firefox; no crashes so far.

Dannyp92

Post by Dannyp92 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:39 pm

[Update 2]: While quitting Chrome seemed to help, the problem persisted to a degree. The problem was most likely due to dust build up inside the computer which would cause irregular crashes/shutdowns.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:56 am

What are your PC hardware specifications?

If you are changing programs and it affects performance, it makes me think you have a very weak computer.

My first PC from 2005 was old even by that time's standards - some Sempron 1.6GHz CPU and 256 MB RAM, some integrated SiS 64MB GPU and WoW ran at probably 20-30 FPS on lowest, but it was one of the best games that ever graced that PC.

I remember I had some stuttering/freezing and at the time I was using Winamp, but after I switched to foobar2000, that problem went away.

Browser memory consumption these days should be almost equal, but when you have an average/above average PC, you can't really notice, maybe if your PC is really slow and old it's noticeable, so it will be best to list your specifications so people know how to help you better.

But if that's your problem, closing as many programs as possible will be the best way. Also, when I was on my first PC, doing Windows XP reinstalls every few months kind of helped a bit, after all, the PC was so slow that all kinds of pointless things (now) seemed to work wonders, especially employing the help of 5-6 different junk cleaners, it would speed the computer up for a few days and then it would become slow again.

Tendies

Post by Tendies » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:11 am

Have your TWoW folder as C:\Games\twmoa_1165
Install VanillaFixes
Disable pfQuest as it often causes freezes for people

Borna

Post by Borna » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:56 am

Same thing here, and this is especially annoying for hardcore since this freeze at the wrong time and gg your char is gone....every few days the game just freezes randomly and only thing i can do is to force reboot the pc...happens only with twow and probably because the client is literally a ancient peace of software

ryzen 5 3600, 32 gb ram, rx 5600 xt, game is on a nvme ssd

Borna

Post by Borna » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:43 am

Tendies wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:11 am
Install VanillaFixes
ok i have to thank you for this suggestion i tried it and the game performance is insane now! i usually had random drops od fps and i had to fiddle setting to get it back now its rock solid 144 fps on all max and the game hasnt crashed once! thank you

to be honest twow client should be shipped/downloadable with this already included, its just insane game stability fixes.