Runemaster Class

Gallows

Runemaster Class

Post by Gallows » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:17 am

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum. Anyways, I was wondering what people would think of a "Runemaster" class, as was originally planned in WoW's development before being replaced by the Druid. The general concept for it was to be a melee fighter that uses rune magic to inscribe runes on his/her body for various effects.

I don't know how the visual effects of glowing runes being inscribed on the body would work, but the concept of an almost purely buff-based class could be something really unique and really fit in as a nice addition to the Vanilla game.

Lore-wise, I think this class would fit Dwarves and Tauren. (I say Tauren because all of the original development concept art I've found for this cut class is of a Tauren Runemaster, mostly without armor but emblazoned in runes.)

"The runemaster was considered as a playable class in classic World of Warcraft but was scrapped early in development. According to John Staats, runemasters were replaced by druids, while according to Kevin Jordan they were replaced by warlocks in the role of a "freak class" that differed from standard RPG tropes.

When the designers were discussing what the new hero class in Wrath of the Lich King would be, the runemaster was again brought up as a possibility. It was envisioned as a rogue- or monk-type melee class who wrote runes on their bodies to give them different physical powers. The runemaster was eventually merged into the death knight (along with the necromancer) and later with the monk."

(From https://wow.gamepedia.com/Runemaster#As ... e_class.3F)

For resource, armor and weapon types, I think the Runemaster would be a mana using, leather wearing class, (judging by how it was originally envisioned as being "rogue-like" or "monk-like") specializing in fist weapons, staffs, and maces.
As for stuff like tier sets, I don't know what would be done for that. Making new gear sets in the same spirit as Vanilla's iconic ones would be an extremely daunting endeavor that would have to be done very, very carefully.

Thoughts?

Mrkrissatan

Re: Runemaster Class

Post by Mrkrissatan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am

Cool idea but I'm not sure how feasible it is for the devs to add a class

Gallows

Post by Gallows » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:18 am

Mrkrissatan wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am
Cool idea but I'm not sure how feasible it is for the devs to add a class
It'd definitely be an enormous undertaking. But they're developing their own expansion, so I don't think it's impossible. If there's any pserver dev team that could make a custom class that feels authentic and good to play it would definitely be this server's. Also, a new class would be a huge draw for new players, and being cut content it fits the theme.

I don't really expect it to happen, but it's something to think about.

Balake

Post by Balake » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:01 pm

It has too much overlap. It has shamanistic and natural tones. The buff-centric playstyle is already taken by paladins. I think runemaster would work as a rework of enhancement shamans. Runes fit the theme of the class, and the playstyle of spec which is enhancing the capabilities of oneself (For now, it is only lightning shield and weapon buffs, but runes are a wonderful addition)

Supremorie

Post by Supremorie » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Wow, this is a really cool idea. I had no idea it was originally cut content. Even if it never gets implemented by the devs here (it does sound like an awful lot of work), it might give RPers something to think about! Thanks for posting it just because it's developed a new interest for me!
Yaelira Oakheart | Sentinel Lyshaera Amberglave | Narai Blackscribe
Xiaji'fon
Feel free to interact ICly if you see me!

Punchbuggy

Post by Punchbuggy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:22 pm

IDK. Doesn't sound super feasible, but... Deathgate cycle is one of my favorite book series. (Main guy Haplo has a bunch of magic tattoos)

AND! I love monks. Punchy Punch! Kung Fu Theater was a part of my childhood. :) Not a huge fan of retail monks, though.

So, if they came to be, I'd sure give 'em a try.
Sometimes I amuse only myself

Gallows

Post by Gallows » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Balake wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:01 pm
It has too much overlap. It has shamanistic and natural tones. The buff-centric playstyle is already taken by paladins. I think runemaster would work as a rework of enhancement shamans. Runes fit the theme of the class, and the playstyle of spec which is enhancing the capabilities of oneself (For now, it is only lightning shield and weapon buffs, but runes are a wonderful addition)
I don't see the overlap personally. The Runemaster was envisioned as an arcane sort of monk archetype, not naturalist like the shaman. Enhancement shaman could definitely use some reworking though.

Anderyu

Post by Anderyu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 am

Gallows wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:17 am
Lore-wise, I think this class would fit Dwarves and Tauren. (I say Tauren because all of the original development concept art I've found for this cut class is of a Tauren Runemaster, mostly without armor but emblazoned in runes.)
Gallows wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:44 pm
The Runemaster was envisioned as an arcane sort of monk archetype, not naturalist like the shaman.
Dwarves and Taurens are two of the three/four races that do not have arcane magic classes (warlock/mage), vs holy or nature magic. Lorewise it makes sense that they do not.
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Gallows

Post by Gallows » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 pm

Anderyu wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 am
Gallows wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:17 am
Gallows wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:44 pm
The Runemaster was envisioned as an arcane sort of monk archetype, not naturalist like the shaman.
Dwarves and Taurens are two of the three/four races that do not have arcane magic classes (warlock/mage), vs holy or nature magic. Lorewise it makes sense that they do not.
All of the concept art was made of tauren using it though, and runes fit dwarves perfectly.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:42 pm

Runemasters being tauren/dwarves makes perfect sense. But where is it mentioned that the runemaster is arcane based? Is it just a theory or old information?

Gallows

Post by Gallows » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:05 pm

Balake wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:42 pm
Runemasters being tauren/dwarves makes perfect sense. But where is it mentioned that the runemaster is arcane based? Is it just a theory or old information?
Runemasters were described in the RPG (not entirely canon, but seems to be canon enough as its concepts for the runemaster line up with what past developers have said about the canceled class) as using arcane magic. Also from a game perspective, not many classes use arcane magic (pretty much just mages and a few hunter spells) so it's a niche that isn't fully capitalized on. So it's sort of both, old information as well as the theory of filling an untapped niche.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:19 am

Interesting that it is mentioned in the RPG, I personally would never consider them Arcane-based since what do runes have to do with Arcane? It's a bit weird.

Also, a fun fact, lorewise warlocks are mages who went too far and got into fel magic (or shamans, in orc's case) so they still know arcane spells, they just don't use them anymore, or use them but with a fel twist to it. turtle_tongue

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am

Since we already have more than 10 posts here and people starting to theorizing about class more deeply and into mechanics.

I'd urge you to study on how many spells other classes have at their disposal, how many of those spells trainers teach players and what kind of battle, utility and healing (if there's any) spells within the class kit. Also, reagents.

Besides class mechanics (melee, ranged or caster) there should also be a more detailed concept to let the class fill into the gaps vanilla has at the moment. coughtankscoughhealerscough

Once you're done with that please study on how should this new class work with other classes. Mages, for example, can improve healing output and lower the spell damage on party, how will this work? Shamans use totems, which are many additional effects to the party as well. You see the pattern?

So in overall, it's a full-time job to not only study it all but also, bring out some math on this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Gallows

Post by Gallows » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Balake wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:19 am
Interesting that it is mentioned in the RPG, I personally would never consider them Arcane-based since what do runes have to do with Arcane? It's a bit weird.

Also, a fun fact, lorewise warlocks are mages who went too far and got into fel magic (or shamans, in orc's case) so they still know arcane spells, they just don't use them anymore, or use them but with a fel twist to it. turtle_tongue
This is also true. I was mostly examining it from a game perspective there though. Arcane is a very underrepresented spell type in-game compared to other schools like fire or shadow. Another underutilized spell school is frost - which I think could fit perfectly in the runemaster's arsenal.
Sinrek wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am
Since we already have more than 10 posts here and people starting to theorizing about class more deeply and into mechanics.

I'd urge you to study on how many spells other classes have at their disposal, how many of those spells trainers teach players and what kind of battle, utility and healing (if there's any) spells within the class kit. Also, reagents.

Besides class mechanics (melee, ranged or caster) there should also be a more detailed concept to let the class fill into the gaps vanilla has at the moment. coughtankscoughhealerscough

Once you're done with that please study on how should this new class work with other classes. Mages, for example, can improve healing output and lower the spell damage on party, how will this work? Shamans use totems, which are many additional effects to the party as well. You see the pattern?

So in overall, it's a full-time job to not only study it all but also, bring out some math on this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I will begin getting to work on hammering out some concepts. I am really overjoyed with the response to this idea, I didn't think so many people would be interested in such a niche fantasy for a class. Obviously though it will take a long time to develop even the basic gameplay ideas alone, but I do believe I have came up with some unique mechanics that could introduce a new aspect of strategy to the game that a lot of people may enjoy. I'll post a follow-up reply soon detailing more so we can get the ball rolling.

Also, if anyone has any resources on how to edit/create and import gear textures for vanilla WoW, I'd appreciate them being posted. I have experience in graphic design/texturing so I could probably create some concepts for what the runemaster's tier sets could look like. I'm thinking very primal stuff that shows a lot of skin with painted on runes.

Gallows

Post by Gallows » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Here's a rough concept I thought up. It's nowhere near finished but it's a start. If any of these concepts sound ill-fitting, or are particularly appealing, then please do suggest ways to improve the idea.

The runemaster is a leather wearing class that uses mana. Its specialized weapons are fist weapons, maces, and staves. The runemaster can also equip shields.

--Runes--
The runemasters core abilities such as buffing and activating circles would operate on a reagant being Runes. As you leveled up your collection of runes would grow via class quests or dungeon drops, each having different purposes. Depending on which runes you'd have on you in your rune bag (similar to how hunters have quivers or ammo pouches) your rune activation and buff spells would have different effects.
These runestones would NOT be depleted after use, and would be unique.

--Ley Points/classes of augmentation runes--
One of the core concepts of the runemaster as it was initially idealized was the concept of leylines, and that the runemaster seeked to become one with the leylines, to be a part of the leylines. This would essentially mean four or five different ley-points, all being a different slot for a runic augmentation. In your rune bag, you could only carry one rune of each class of rune.

Here's a hypothetical demonstration:

Augmentation runes would come in four types. A blue rune, an orange rune, a green rune, and a purple rune.

These four augmentation runes would correlate to different aspects of your character. Blue for the body, red for the fists, green for the spirit, and purple for the mind. (Again, this is a hypothetical demonstration to explain my idea for runes and how they would work. These four colors or aspects are not necessarily the ideal.)

So there could be one blue rune, say, the rune of thorns. The effect of this rune increases your armor and deals damage to attackers. Then another blue rune, the rune of frost, would slow attackers when they hit you, and yet another blue rune, the rune of fortitude, would simply have the effect of increasing armor and stamina by a substantial amount.

However, you can only place one of these three runes in your rune bag at once to be used as your blue rune of choice. Think of it as equipping a piece of gear essentially. When you are in combat, you would not be able to switch around the runes in your bag.

You would then activate these runes with a spell corresponding to each type of rune, "[color] Augmentation Rune," which would activate that augmentation rune's effect for a duration of 30 minutes or so.

A later spell, Runic Focus, would be a short duration buff that increases the effect of all of your augmentation runes by 15% or so. This could also be a spell earned via a talent in the runemaster's augmentation focused tree. (we can get to talent trees once we have a general baseline kit established, but I envision one focused on healing, one focused on augmentation (tanking or dps,) and one focused on spells and circles (dps.))

Augmentation rune colors/aspects/classes in more detail:
Blue: defensive upgrades. Things like thorns, a slow upon hit, or just plain more armor, sometimes stamina.
Orange: offensive upgrades. Weapon enchantments (like adding arcane damage, or increasing attack speed, critical strike, or threat generation for tanking) and strength & agility. There would also be healing-focused red runes which would be cast time reduction or bonus healing.
Green: mixed bag of stats like stamina, spirit, bonus healing, and healing effects (like a small HoT added to normal heals) or increased self regeneration after being hit for a certain amount.
Purple: intellect and spell crit, dps spell effects, mana cost reduction.

--Rune circles--
These would be AoE circles that the runemaster places on the ground, and then triggers.

These would also have their own set of aspects correlating to different effects, but in a different way:

There would be three types of circle runes, correlating to how the effects are activated. A red rune, a yellow rune, and a cyan rune.

The red rune's purpose is a burst of power - instantly enacting its effects upon cast/placement.
The yellow rune's purpose is a sustained, strategic pulse - its effects could be triggered multiple times, however each of those times would cost mana.
The cyan rune's purpose is a momentary effect that begins the moment it is placed, good for things like buffs, debuffs, healing over time, slows, etc.

The rules for circle runes would work similar to augmentation runes: you could only have one of each aspect in your rune bag at once, and there would be a variety of choices.

--Runestones--
The runestone would be a placeable, static entity that would create a small AOE burst of your non-rune powered ranged or magical melee spells. Think of it as every time you cast a heal, this static entity replicates a portion of that heal in a very small area. This also would apply to non-rune damaging spells for DPS runemasters. There would only be one runestone allowed to be place at a time, so its positioning would be vital.

--Ley Healing--
Lorewise, the runemaster would heal using the arcane magic of leylines, as was described in the warcraft RPG. These basic healing spells would not be augmented by runes, but would be effected by rune markings.

--Rune markings--
Rune markings would allow the runemaster to be able to mark one target per party (thus multiple targets in a raid) for bonuses of every healing spell you cast to be distributed to them (or for a larger healing spell to be split amongst them,) however the markings must be a certain distance close to eachother at a time or they wouldn't connect.

--Non-rune-augmented spells--
The runemaster would also possess quite a few more traditional spells, unaffected by what runes you'd have selected.

Most damage the runemaster would output would be arcane and frost.

Some examples of spell ideas:

Runic Strike
Empowers your next melee strike with runic arcane energy, causing your next 3 auto attacks to also do bonus arcane energy
5 second cooldown
Requires melee weapon
On next melee
Costs mana

Cold Strike
Hit the enemy with a chilling blow that decreases their armor by 4% for 12 seconds
8 second cooldown
Requires melee weapon
Instant
Costs mana

Biting Frost
Hit the enemy with a frost-rune empowered strike, slowing their movement and casting time by 15% for 10 seconds.
50 second cooldown
Requires melee weapon
Instant
Costs mana

Runic Sweep
Perform a sweeping strike in a cone in front of you, dealing arcane damage to up to 4 enemies.
1 minute cooldown
Requires staves
Instant
Costs mana

Emancipation
Use your knowledge of the ley lines to free yourself from a snare or root.
3 minute cooldown
Instant
Costs mana

Ley-Point Strike
When your enemy is below 10% health, strike their ley pressure point for an execution.
15 minute cooldown
Requires melee weapon
Instant
Costs mana

Rune Word: Soothing
Places a Rune of Soothing on the target, which after 12 seconds will heal them for [set amount]
Shares 2 minute cooldown with other Rune Words.
Instant
Costs mana

Rune Word: Repellence
Knocks the target back away from you.
Instant
Costs mana

Rune Word: Fury
Increases your attack speed by 10% for 12 seconds.
Instant
Costs mana

Ley Hardening
Empower your shield with runic arcane energy, reducing all damage taken by 50% for 6 seconds.
5 minute cooldown
Requires shields
Instant
Costs mana

Runic Construct
Empower a small runic construct who will taunt and attack your target for 12 seconds.
8 minute cooldown
1 second cast
Costs mana

Realignment
Heal your target for [set amount] over 3 seconds.
Channeled
Costs mana

Forbidding Runes
Creates a small runic circle around the enemy target that they cannot pass through for 8 seconds. Your allies may pass through as they please.
1.5 second cast
Costs mana

Earthen Origins (Dwarf runemaster racial passive)
The effects of all blue augmentation runes are increased by 2%

One With the Spirits (Tauren runemaster racial passive)
The effect of all green augmentation runes are increased by 2%

---

Overall, my idea for a runemaster is a class whose gameplay is based around positioning strategy and build customization, embodying the wisdom and knowledge of ancient runes and leylines to utilize them for whatever one could need.
Again, this is just the beginning of conceptualization, barely even close to a basic concept.

So, what are everyone's thoughts and ideas?

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:39 pm

interesting, so we could have spells like this:

Name: Blood Written Rune
Effect: Consumes 10/20/30% of health based on how many rune stacks you have acquired and deals that much damage to the targeted enemy,
while under the effects of Green runes heal the target of your target
while under the effects of Blue runes no longer deals damage to you and taunts the enemy
while under the effects of Orange runes increase your current attack power for the next melee attack by 40%/60%/80% based on how much health was consumed by this spell
while under the effects of Purple runes 25%/50%/75% chance to clearcast your next spell based on how much health was consumed by this spell

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Also I don't think the runes should be permanent items that take up bag space but either buffs or temporary items like soul shards either way they should be consumed by powerful spells and created by weaker ones

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:47 pm

This is going to sound harsh of me, but...

Asking for a new class is pretty wishful thinking, especially when you don't understand the technical requirements involved. The amount of work and new art assets, coding, quests, balancing, is enough new content to surpass what the expansion will contain. It's fun to theorize, but pretty irresponsible to ask for something like this.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 am

I'm just theorizing what the Rune Master could be like, I don't expect it to ever be added

Deadcrow

Post by Deadcrow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:29 am

It is a cool concept to dream about. Maybe someday.

Serener

Post by Serener » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 am

thats pretty cool,damn

Cogitek

Post by Cogitek » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Man thats amazing