Viability without MCP?

Post Reply
User avatar
Bigsmerf
Posts: 449
Location: Canada Eh

Viability without MCP?

Post by Bigsmerf » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:59 pm

As the title might suggest, I'm just looking to learn how well I can perform without MCP as a bear tank or cat dps in endgame raiding, or if I'll even get into pug raids without it. There's no way I'm farming that shit just so I can be barely worse than a meta dps. I'm fine with powershifting because that doesn't require any farming to do. Yes I'm aware of the battery powered MCP. But that has to be a huge gold sink and more effort that I just don't have the time or patience to give. All in all, I just want to be viable. Fun always comes before being optimal.
Registered altoholic
(Main)
Elmhoof - 60 Feral Tank (Tauren) Left to pick up dust

I can't play even if I wanted to, now that my laptop's out of commission. It's been fun, but I'll be gone for a while before I can get a new one.

User avatar
Reploidrocsa
Posts: 341

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Reploidrocsa » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

Get the engi MCP, it uses craftable charges instead of the on use charges so its infinite

User avatar
Bigsmerf
Posts: 449
Location: Canada Eh

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Bigsmerf » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:49 pm

Reploidrocsa wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm
Get the engi MCP, it uses craftable charges instead of the on use charges so its infinite
I already said I was aware of that. Just looking to know if I can perform well enough to be viable without that.
Registered altoholic
(Main)
Elmhoof - 60 Feral Tank (Tauren) Left to pick up dust

I can't play even if I wanted to, now that my laptop's out of commission. It's been fun, but I'll be gone for a while before I can get a new one.

User avatar
Reploidrocsa
Posts: 341

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Reploidrocsa » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:44 pm

Mcp is bis for bear.

For cat... You'll want to use them on bosses until you get atiesh or better (+420 feral attack power)
On trash any agi/armor weapon will do for cat/bear

You can buy batteries for about...1g each. 12-15 batteries will be enough for a whole raid most of the time. The gold you get from bosses will cover the cost for batteries

User avatar
Bigsmerf
Posts: 449
Location: Canada Eh

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Bigsmerf » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:39 am

Just gonna bump this so I can try again for an answer.

Quick Edit: Actually, I think what I meant was a DIFFERENT answer. Thanks for the help so far, but I just want to know how well I can do going through content without ever using any MCP once, which an exception MAYBE for bear because a tank having really high TPS is obviously important in a raid setting.
Registered altoholic
(Main)
Elmhoof - 60 Feral Tank (Tauren) Left to pick up dust

I can't play even if I wanted to, now that my laptop's out of commission. It's been fun, but I'll be gone for a while before I can get a new one.

Jammyxx
Posts: 447

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Jammyxx » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 am

The Engi one sucks, It costs about 1.5g per charge... And lasts 30 seconds... You'll soon blow through your gold.

Cheaper to farm MCP in Gnomeregan, 10 charges instead of 3 on TWoW...

User avatar
Bayanni
Posts: 210

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Bayanni » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:30 am

For bear you just can't generate enough threat without it. MCP is mandatory for bear raiding currently.

For cat a little less so, but you're not getting away from it for pre-bis and even into higher-tier raids. It's just what you'll be stuck with until naxx.

Jammyxx
Posts: 447

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Jammyxx » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:45 am

Bis for Cat apart from MCP will be Eye of Nerub, which will have 322 FAP + 45 Agi + 25 Enchant.

Krltbr
Posts: 2

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Krltbr » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:56 pm

I am sorry, but how a low lvl main weapon can be BiS for an endgame character? If that's the case, something is terribly wrong.

Shaman111
Posts: 213

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Shaman111 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:11 pm

Krltbr wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:56 pm
I am sorry, but how a low lvl main weapon can be BiS for an endgame character? If that's the case, something is terribly wrong.
people love their classic memes and squeall in excitement if by bad design some leveling item becomes mandatory to get most out of your class in raids or pvp

Inovatu
Posts: 43

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Inovatu » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:33 pm

you can just do fine without MCP
As Cat you dont really need it.
Bear on the other hand... well its bis yes, but you can do fine without it, exept when you face a Mob/Boss with Aggroreset or when you have to taunt

AAAAANNNND now let the hatecomments start!

User avatar
Bigsmerf
Posts: 449
Location: Canada Eh

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Bigsmerf » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:04 pm

Inovatu wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:33 pm
you can just do fine without MCP
As Cat you dont really need it.
Bear on the other hand... well its bis yes, but you can do fine without it, exept when you face a Mob/Boss with Aggroreset or when you have to taunt

AAAAANNNND now let the hatecomments start!
Still waiting for them to start >:3
Registered altoholic
(Main)
Elmhoof - 60 Feral Tank (Tauren) Left to pick up dust

I can't play even if I wanted to, now that my laptop's out of commission. It's been fun, but I'll be gone for a while before I can get a new one.

Drubarrymooer
Posts: 307

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Drubarrymooer » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:45 am

Bigsmerf wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:39 am
Just gonna bump this so I can try again for an answer.

Quick Edit: Actually, I think what I meant was a DIFFERENT answer. Thanks for the help so far, but I just want to know how well I can do going through content without ever using any MCP once, which an exception MAYBE for bear because a tank having really high TPS is obviously important in a raid setting.
It depends. If you want the highest sustained DPS in cat without mcp, you should look at the elemental feral build. If you're power shifting without mcp, given for similar gear curve, you will end up firmly in the middle of the pack.

As for tank without mcp, depends on the fight and the gear of your other raiders. I typically only use one or 2 charges per boss and almost never on trash.

User avatar
Mooncake
Posts: 20

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Mooncake » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am

Krltbr wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:56 pm
I am sorry, but how a low lvl main weapon can be BiS for an endgame character? If that's the case, something is terribly wrong.
That's just a vanilla feature so to speak. Feral druids don't benefit from weapon damage or on hit procs at all, also buff from MCP which is 30% attack speed iirc is better than almost any pure stats from end game weapons, so for max performance ferals farm mcp to use on raid bosses

User avatar
Reploidrocsa
Posts: 341

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Reploidrocsa » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:02 am

Mooncake wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
Krltbr wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:56 pm
I am sorry, but how a low lvl main weapon can be BiS for an endgame character? If that's the case, something is terribly wrong.
That's just a vanilla feature so to speak. Feral druids don't benefit from weapon damage or on hit procs at all, also buff from MCP which is 30% attack speed iirc is better than almost any pure stats from end game weapons, so for max performance ferals farm mcp to use on raid bosses
Is 50% attack speed, so in theory is more DPS if you can keep the buff up during the whole fight. There's less DPS difference if it's a boss that requires moving or doing mechanics

Drubarrymooer
Posts: 307

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Drubarrymooer » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:22 pm

MCP example on Patchwerk with 5 COMBO points when he died. Image

Smdh.....I shouldn't have been greedy. I've been number 1 before but the was with world buffs.

Fresharugula
Posts: 52

Re: Viability without MCP?

Post by Fresharugula » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:27 pm

Next patch is adding Feral Attack Power to druid weapons (maces, str staffs, polearms)

This SHOULD solve the whole “MCP is the only viable weapon” problem. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much, long term you’ll be fine

Post Reply