Challenge: Slow & Steady

Torta

Challenge: Slow & Steady

Post by Torta » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Take it slow, 'mon!

If you really like questing and leveling, play in turtle mode, your creature kill rates will be set to 0.5 rates.
Enjoy your journey and receive rewards every 10 levels: https://turtle-wow.org/#/slow-and-steady

Dankmo

Re: Hardcore Mode & Rewards

Post by Dankmo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:47 am

Is the sword 1h 2h? allhand?

Pompa

Post by Pompa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Dankmo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:47 am
Is the sword 1h 2h? allhand?
1h, it has no weapon type, so everyone can equip it.

Sandsten

Post by Sandsten » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:03 am

Could you please explain what the custom items that were never a part of original vanilla does? For example:
- Strange Bottle
- Half-Eaten Mutton Chop
- Turtle Traveller’s Bag - How many slots?
- Hardcore Master’s Tabard - Is it the contest winner tabard? How does it look?
- Darkmoon strider - Speed?
Thank you!
Dudu wanderer lost after going through a portal in a failed experiment. Previously hails from Kronos

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Strange bottle shrinks you down by a little bit. You get 10 of them, and after 4 uses your "shrinking" is capped out... Not sure whether logging resets your size, or if it's permanent, but when capped you're a good head shorter than normal.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Sandsten wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:03 am
Could you please explain what the custom items that were never a part of original vanilla does? For example:
- Strange Bottle
- Half-Eaten Mutton Chop
- Turtle Traveller’s Bag - How many slots?
- Hardcore Master’s Tabard - Is it the contest winner tabard? How does it look?
- Darkmoon strider - Speed?
Thank you!
The mutton chop is a joke weapon like the ones from the Darkmoon Faire. The bag is 20slots, the tabard is the contest winners tabard, and mounts scale on this server to match your skill, or half your level of you don't have riding skill.

Senjido

Post by Senjido » Mon May 11, 2020 12:08 pm

where is speedy though?

Edit: Oh, in your bag!

Torta

Post by Torta » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Greetings! Here's an important update regarding Hardcore Mode! Starting this Wednesday, you must turn on Hardcore Mode at Level 1. Otherwise, you'll remain permanently in normal mode.

Updated Hardcore Mode Rewards

Level 10
  • Finely-Tailored Linen Shirt
  • Murloc Skin Bag
  • Simple Wooden Torch
  • Fashion Coin x1
Level 20
  • Black Piglet (Pet)
  • Fashion Coin x2
  • Speedy's Energy Drink
Level 30
  • Carved Ogre Idol
  • Fashion Coin x3
  • 16 Slot Pumpkin Bag
Level 40
  • Perpetual Purple Firework
  • Fashion Coin x3
Level 50
  • 16 Slot Pumpkin Bag
  • Fashion Coin x5
  • Illusion: Murloc
Level 60
  • Fashion Coin x5
  • Hardcore Master's Tabard
  • Darkmoon Strider
  • Sword of a Thousand Truths
  • 200 Turtle Tokens

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 pm

What is the difference between the new and old rewards?
AlexSage - Human Warrior
Stormrunner - Tauren Shaman

Dragunovi

Post by Dragunovi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Fashion Coins, Speedy's Energy Drink, No more 20 slot bag, 2 16 Slot Pumpkin Bags instead, Illusion: High Elf changed to Illusion: Murloc
Sometimes makes items, feel free to query on Discord for questions!

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 am

Thank you Dragunovi.
AlexSage - Human Warrior

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:28 am

Updated the first message.

Gex

Post by Gex » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:35 am

With all due respect I'm against rewarding fashion coins, instead make tmog buyable with in-game gold.

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:15 am

Just to 100% confirm, level loss isn't possible though right?
AlexSage - Human Warrior

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 am

Alexsage wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:15 am
Just to 100% confirm, level loss isn't possible though right?
De-leveling isn't possible.

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 am

Gex wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:35 am
With all due respect I'm against rewarding fashion coins, instead make tmog buyable with in-game gold.
Why?

Balake

Post by Balake » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Gex wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:35 am
It already is, you turn in some items for tmog coins. You can just buy the items from other players with gold.

Rhaco

Post by Rhaco » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:53 pm

The Fashion Coins are almost the only reason I want to go hardcore. I've been watching Camil beg for Delicate Feathers the entire time we've played, I'd much rather know I'll earn Coins just by playing the game on a harder difficulty!
[H] Sachatamia / Rhaco / Pollywog

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:31 pm

You could also take a chill way and just do those weekly quests starting from lower levels for fashion coins too. Much easier than trying to do it on lvl 60.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 am

Are they easy? they don't look very easy unless you have a way to send gold to your low level character imo.
AlexSage - Human Warrior

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:48 am

These were designed to be easier.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Niakr1s

Post by Niakr1s » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:02 pm

I keep dying after teleport to Mirage Raceway and losing my 5% exp each time D:

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 pm

You may want to provide more details on that one Niakr1s so Torta can fix it.
AlexSage - Human Warrior

Dicer

Post by Dicer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 am

I have a gripe with the 5%... I don't mind a hit if I screw up, but taking a 5% loss in group when I did nothing to cause it, No thanks. And before the "choose groups more carefully" replies come in, We have a small community, and beggars can't always be choosers. I also am not a fan of leveling from 1-50 without it then it just sprung up on me. Also the fact you cannot do Dark Iron Legacy without the hit is also not amazing. just my .02 on the matter...and if I have to I'll just drop HC mode after the time I put into it.

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:53 pm

I can see where you're coming from but group content also provides normal exp which should make up for a 5% loss unless it's a regular thing in which case well someone in the group needs help. I agree it would be nice if they could find a way of making quests like Dark Iron Legacy not hurt you. You can also play it extremely safe and do stuff below your level as quests still give full exp. There options or of course simply don't do hardcore?
AlexSage - Human Warrior

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:02 am

I kind of feel the target for current HC mode players has been moved here. I don't mind the XP death penalty on death, though perhaps a better mechanic would have been to make the penalty less on a first death then increase it on each additional death that occurs within a certain time frame, kind of like how dieing frequently now increases how much time a player has to wait to revive again. I'm guessing that the reduced rested gain from tents could be offset with more tents? Haven't seen that explained yet.

I feel that you'll miss a lot of people who'd try hardcore mode out by changing the threshold to toggle HC mode from lvl 10 to 1. New players will often not know about all the features of the server and won't know this is available until after having played for a few hours so then if they care to go HC mode they'll have to reroll.

I did just that with 2 characters who are now mid/upper lvl 30's with a third character that is lvl 39. The lvl 40 HC mode rewards were pretty desirable before while now they don't seem very rewarding at all. There were a few fun items from earlier reward thresholds that new players won't ever have a chance to receive either.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something here and I don't want to jump to conclusions, but what was the reason for these changes? Was there any request for input on this before deciding on making changes?

Pfwg

Post by Pfwg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 am

Making 0.5 rates also apply to dungeons and removing the xp loss on death inside dungeons would be a good change.

Currently, the penalties dissuade people from doing dungeons and attempting elite quests, which was supposed to be part of the allure of hardcore mode in the first place. Dying in the open world is usually your own fault, but death in dungeons is much less likely to be your own fault. Being punished for engaging with the community rather than solo questing and grinding to 60 doesn't sound like a good model for an MMO.

While I agree that these new penalties can be avoided by simply not grouping with other players or doing dungeons, that seems against the spirit of what hardcore mode is supposed to be about.

On a separate note, 5% xp loss on death really sucks when you can be killed by things that literally aren't meant to kill you, for example dying from being summoned by a warlock, dying from the Thousand Needles teleporter etc. Hell, you can even die just by running over terrain the wrong way on a mount.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Gifted."

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Dicer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 am
I have a gripe with the 5%... I don't mind a hit if I screw up, but taking a 5% loss in group when I did nothing to cause it, No thanks. And before the "choose groups more carefully" replies come in, We have a small community, and beggars can't always be choosers. I also am not a fan of leveling from 1-50 without it then it just sprung up on me. Also the fact you cannot do Dark Iron Legacy without the hit is also not amazing. just my .02 on the matter...and if I have to I'll just drop HC mode after the time I put into it.
I'm adding this quest and few other cases as exceptions on the next update.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Raistlin wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:02 am
I'm wondering if I'm missing something here and I don't want to jump to conclusions, but what was the reason for these changes? Was there any request for input on this before deciding on making changes?
Hardcore Mode was not Hardcore at all. Players still could use rested XP from tents and level on x1 instead of going through hardcore adventure. We didn't want to close an important and fun social interaction such as "Tent Party" for Hardcore players so I had to come up with a compromise.

Anderyu

Post by Anderyu » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:59 am

Just wanted to say that I like the exp loss on death. Its a fair negative to death while on 'hard mode'. Prior to this, the only hard part of hardmode was 0.5x rates on mob kills only, and this was circumvent-able via tent parties.

It feels so far like it should be possible to get from 1-60 on Hardmode without ever entering a dungeon if you do all of the quests, and I've not used Tent Party to get 1x rates (I just realized this is what these tent parties were for.)

High risk, High reward. Not that people should be bribed to play a 'harder' version of the game, but should be doing it for the fun of it. Torta is basically paying us $30-50 to play his game on hard mode.
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Yuzu

Post by Yuzu » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Hello, I do not agree with these changes in the death penalty, the role server and hard core mode lost the fun because you can no longer risk doing elite or difficult missions alone, because it is well known that there are few people in the server, you are on a map leveling alone, you get tired of requesting a group in the general chat and nobody writes you, so to level up they recommend doing low-level missions, what's funny about that? In addition to erasing the previous rewards that I had already obtained, such as Illusion: Blood Elf, I think I will take a break from this server for now.

Myroku

Post by Myroku » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Good morning, death penalty does not seem right to me, one of the most exciting things is to dedicate effort to doing difficult missions and after a lot of effort to complete them and receive your well-deserved reward, something that is definitely not possible because a mission is not Enough to recover from the 5% penalty and that discourages us from continuing to play. Many say that you deactivate the hard core mode if you don't like it but instead of deactivating the hard core mode I would prefer to change servers because the ones I like the most about turtle wow is that they reward you every 10 levels for your efforts, but instead the penalty of 5% what it does is get frustrated
PS: I use translate.google.co.ve. sorry if something is not understood xD

Rhaco

Post by Rhaco » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Raistlin wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:02 am
I feel that you'll miss a lot of people who'd try hardcore mode out by changing the threshold to toggle HC mode from lvl 10 to 1. New players will often not know about all the features of the server and won't know this is available until after having played for a few hours so then if they care to go HC mode they'll have to reroll.
Raistlin, I had the same thought and proposed a starting quest from Speedy (or any other NPC that is suitable, but I would hope everyone wonders about the free turtle in their backpack and clicks the box once) to bring attention to Hardmode and actively prompt a yes/no choice about it.
[H] Sachatamia / Rhaco / Pollywog

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 am

Yuzu wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:42 pm
In addition to erasing the previous rewards that I had already obtained, such as Illusion: Blood Elf, I think I will take a break from this server for now.
Blood / High Elf illusions have been removed because we're getting closer to the introduction of the real High Elf race. However, you won't lose this item if already have it. If you lost item due some server error or human mistake, please fill up a ticket and we'll restore it for you :)

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 am

It's possible to lower XP penalties if the general reception isn't good. We won't rush with this decision, still gathering feedback.