Reduce the Game Time Consuming Features - Glyph of Chromie

Lewka

Reduce the Game Time Consuming Features - Glyph of Chromie

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:40 pm

Hey,
as we all know, a lot of adults and young adults play here. We have jobs, studies, personal life, family - you know - limited time to spend focusing this amazing game.

The point is, to reduce unnecessary time consuming features from the game - which are built in originally to expand the game time, so players need to pay more for subscription.

These are mainly:
Gryphon / Wyvern flying times (the world looks amazing but we know it since 2004, lets be honest, we dont care)
Waiting for boats / zeppelin (waiting for something to travel, yay)

My suggestion is:
There should be an option at character portrait just like Enable XP gain on / off.
Players could turn Fast Travel on / off. While its on:
Players can increase the gryphon flight speed for +50%, therefore reducing the travel time.
Players can teleport between Zeppelin Masters / Dockmastes by talking to them, skipping the waiting and traveling time.

These features would respect our game time more, and give an option others to keep their waiting for more immersion.
I suggest a vote for a 2 weeks testing period where everyone could try these features, and we see the effects.
Last edited by Lewka on Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Eldirian

Re: Reduce the Game Time Consuming Features - Glyph of Chromie

Post by Eldirian » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:22 pm

No. I have a job, family and studies at once. And I say no. Never.

Emilyrose89

Post by Emilyrose89 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:33 pm

This won't happen and you may get unkind responses from people annoyed with these sort of suggestions. This server was set up by and for people who enjoy playing slow and immersing into the game

Geojak
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Geojak » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:34 pm

The real time consumer are trying to pvp rank (don't) and long dungeon and even longer raids. 3h+ progression raids seen healthy endgame.

The travel times I don't rly see as issue for average gamer that's part of the adventure

I guess if you are in endgame only anyway, I see the meerit of the idea.

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:50 pm

This is an option for those who DONT want to immerse by looking at the screen fully inactive, waiting for the time to pass. Playing slow and immersing is a thing, but waiting is NOT playing. Never was. This is a choosable option, why would you force others to wait, just because you have more time to stare at the screen without playing?

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:53 pm

@Eldirian whats your problem?

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:53 pm

Eldirian wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:22 pm
No. I have a job, family and studies at once. And I say no. Never.
Whats your problem?

Pr0nstache

Post by Pr0nstache » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:04 pm

Lame idea, super lame.

Witchblade

Post by Witchblade » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Go play firestorm or felsong we dont want this here pls thx

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:28 pm

Guys, you all just igoring my "option" and refusing any meaningful debate, tell me why it is "lame" and why never should be an option for those who want to focus on actual playing?

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:36 pm

it's called "Turtle" wow for a reason
yy i know, what's my problem?
Czasku wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:36 pm

Lewka wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:28 pm
Guys, you all just igoring my "option" and refusing any meaningful debate, tell me why it is "lame" and why never should be an option for those who want to focus on actual playing?
Because inevitably, humans always, ALWAYS choose the most economic path of least resistance. And if they don't, they become uncompetitive.

Just think for a moment - why shouldn't we receive a Thunderfury in a mail on hitting 60? It would be an option, right? You could always destroy it!
Or why there shouldn't be an option of instant 60, as an simple checkmark when creating a character? Right?

I really don't want to be rude but for god's sake people - THINK before posting another half-assed suggestion that you came upon while doing laundry.

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:47 pm

Ingameacc12345 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:36 pm
Lewka wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:28 pm
Because inevitably, humans always, ALWAYS choose the most economic path of least resistance. And if they don't, they become uncompetitive.

Just think for a moment - why shouldn't we receive a Thunderfury in a mail on hitting 60? It would be an option, right? You could always destroy it!
Or why there shouldn't be an option of instant 60, as an simple checkmark when creating a character? Right?

I really don't want to be rude but for god's sake people - THINK before posting another half-assed suggestion that you came upon while doing laundry.
What's your problem?
Instant 60 is a great idea, just ask Activision-Blizzard!
Czasku wrote:
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:14 pm

No ones asking instant 60, or Thunderfury lol, dont exaggerate what im suggesting... think before saying these kind of stuff... How could be any connections between instant FPs and Thunderfury for free??
Tell me why should everyone forced to watch gryphon travel or wait for boats? Why is it good for immersion? Btw i always play with Slow and Steady glyph, so you dont have to teach me what Turtle WoW means.

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:46 pm

Lewka wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:14 pm

Tell me why should everyone forced to watch gryphon travel or wait for boats?
Nobody is forcing you
Play another game if you dont like it
a gacha game with auto-everything could suit you
yy i know, what my problem?
Czasku wrote:

Tacticalnelf

Post by Tacticalnelf » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:48 pm

go play retail

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:54 pm

You still dont get it, and dont even try to explain why these gametime wasting features are important... why is it neccessary? Why is is adds to immersion? Tell me.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:54 pm

No, YOU don't get it.

You shouldn't have the option to do so, because something you want to accommodate you specifically would ultimately become imposed upon those of us who don't. Same with summoning stones, same with every other feature that gives someone a "shortcut" and suddenly puts all the onus on those of us who choose not to use the shortcut. Suddenly we're the assholes for wasting the time of the impatient shortcut users.

No. If you don't like that aspect of the game, play a different version of the game. There's dozens of servers out there which will cater to your need for speed. Turtle is a bastion from that. What is YOUR problem that YOU want to take away OUR only option for NOT playing the way you want?

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 pm

At least you try to understand it:) The community wont be separated for "shortcut users" and "time wasters" because everyone should have the option to choose. Like HC, or slow and steady users, or warmoders, its their own way of playing, own option not affecting others. Giving fundamental options on other dimensions but not on time wasting, huh? And again... tell me why would you clinging so much for the gryphon ride? Be honest... you just afk....

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 pm

On the separation again, there are some kind of separation among players already thanks to these game modes - features.
Imagine playing in a group but somebody die to pvp couple of time cuz of warmode, then others blame him.
Imagine playing in a group but someones always behind in xp because of slow and steady.
Separation of HC is already a fact.

Inovatu

Post by Inovatu » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:25 pm

understandable but no, have a nice day

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Lewka wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 pm
That's precisely the point. Those of us who don't want your features are the same people who tell Warmoders to turn that shit off, and I despite being in a party with a WM player when it's costing us dungeon time because they're getting corpse-camped by the opposite faction outside the dungeon. I resent those people for their choice. It would be the exact same with summon stones or flight skipping or what have you.

You can't say "there won't be a problem with it" because there already is. Why would you want to add something that will just create more community toxicity so you can shave a couple minutes off of your flight time?

Albel

Post by Albel » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:23 pm

I don't want to pile on, but I'll try to explain why most people won't like this.

People take the path of least resistance. People are competitive and try to do the most efficient thing, even if they consciously know they're optimising the fun out of the game. If you give people the option to skip the waiting, most will take it, because who wants to wait?

Except waiting is important. It gives breadth and life to the world, the fact that you have to wait for trams and boats and zeppelins. The fact that getting to the EPs from SW takes longer than Westfall gives a sense of space and distance to the world. It also gives mages and warlocks more power and flavour, the fact that they can use their magical abilities to cross (or help cross) vast distances.

The world in retail is absolutely and completely dead and soulless, and convenience is partly why. You queue into things from your UI, there's literally a portal room that goes everywhere, and xpac zones are cut off from each other.

In the kind of world TWoW wants to create, it's important that the world is a world, not just a lobby for quests. Going somewhere far away *should* take a while.

Waiting is fine. Being bored is fine. In current year, we just kind of assume that we're meant to be entertained every single minute. That's messed up. We're meant to wait sometimes, and we're meant to be bored sometimes. Do some fishing or cooking, or r/dance, or strike up a conversation with another player.

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:56 pm

Albel wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:23 pm
I don't want to pile on, but I'll try to explain why most people won't like this.

People take the path of least resistance. People are competitive and try to do the most efficient thing, even if they consciously know they're optimising the fun out of the game. If you give people the option to skip the waiting, most will take it, because who wants to wait?

Except waiting is important. It gives breadth and life to the world, the fact that you have to wait for trams and boats and zeppelins. The fact that getting to the EPs from SW takes longer than Westfall gives a sense of space and distance to the world. It also gives mages and warlocks more power and flavour, the fact that they can use their magical abilities to cross (or help cross) vast distances.

The world in retail is absolutely and completely dead and soulless, and convenience is partly why. You queue into things from your UI, there's literally a portal room that goes everywhere, and xpac zones are cut off from each other.

In the kind of world TWoW wants to create, it's important that the world is a world, not just a lobby for quests. Going somewhere far away *should* take a while.

Waiting is fine. Being bored is fine. In current year, we just kind of assume that we're meant to be entertained every single minute. That's messed up. We're meant to wait sometimes, and we're meant to be bored sometimes. Do some fishing or cooking, or r/dance, or strike up a conversation with another player.
Beautifully put.

I wish that all people before posting such "groundbreaking and harmless" ideas would take a moment and ponder: why did Blizzard introduce it in the first place? Was it "We'll make players wait because we hate them, that'll show'em!" or was there maybe a deeper reason?

Naajh
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Naajh » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:31 am

Hi @Lewka! You are welcome to write suggestions. Thanks for your idea!

However, I find it difficult to do this on a server called Turtle, where going "slow" is part of the experience here.
I recommend other servers where the "fast" experience is part of those servers. Surely you can find that fast server for you! I played Warmane for a long time and it's a very fast server. I haven't played other servers, but I saw some comments that gave other server names.

Good luck my friend and have a great day!

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:58 am

Flight paths are necessary to take wc breaks, strech your legs or check database about your next goal. Otherwise those things need to be done with my character standing, so no, is not a waste of time if you know how to spend those travel times

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:43 am

I see your point, that maybe some people use the waiting time to have a break, or tab out for searching, thats reasonable. But i think it maybe the case for long sessions mostly around 3+ hours.
What if we dont have that much time? What if we want to make the best out of our little time?
It happened to me, around level 40-50, that maybe a hour was spent riding and flying to turn in quests in far different points in the world. The game wants you to travel this much on late levels.
Some people like this. Some of us dont.
What i suggest now, is a vote for a test period, maybe 2 weeks, where players are able to choose this option, and see how it works, how much distance is created among the community. How much negative effects it may have.

Albel

Post by Albel » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:54 am

The problem is that most people will choose to not wait. BC and Wrath weren't very controversial, they released to wide acclaim. As did achievements, the mounts tab, LFG, LFR, all these things were positively received. They just also happen to have been really bad for the world.

I sympathise with not having a lot of time. Here's the problem: people that *do* have a lot of time are going to want to skip as well, putting immense pressure on anyone even slightly competitive, even if they would've probably been happier taking it slow.

If you introduce a way to make the game faster, that way is going to dominate, as it did in retail. This is what the people arguing for flying didn't get; even anti fliers didn't have a choice. If there's an easy way to do something, people will do it. The only way to prevent it is if the option isn't there at all.

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:46 am

Immense pressure on people wanting long flying and waiting times. I understand that. There should be an option then, not a glyph what is static.
Like turning XP on and off. People can turn Fast Travel on and off just like XP.
If youre questing alone enjoying your time, not in a hurry, you turn off fast travel, and ride a gryphon.
If youre with others who wait for you at the dungeon, turn on fast travel, everyone happy?

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:05 am

Lewka wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:46 am
Immense pressure on people wanting long flying and waiting times. I understand that. There should be an option then, not a glyph what is static.
Like turning XP on and off. People can turn Fast Travel on and off just like XP.
If youre questing alone enjoying your time, not in a hurry, you turn off fast travel, and ride a gryphon.
If youre with others who wait for you at the dungeon, turn on fast travel, everyone happy?
i've read through the entire topic.. but at this point I get the feeling that you haven't read or understood (or don't want to), why you're suggestion just doesn't work and why it's not just bad for the game, but for the community as well.
Albel had explained it in a very beautiful and understandable way.

Regarding: "Players take the way of least resistance"... 'normal' PvE Players would propably ALL take this "fast" option... and everyone else will be forced by sheer peer pressure. Cuz else "They are wasting our time. So we kick them out of the group". That's the kind of toxicity we all want to avoid here. AND at this point it wouldn't be an "option" anymore but everyone would be forced to use it.

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:27 am

Lewka wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:43 am
Some people like this. Some of us dont.
You simply don't like a major aspect of the game. Instead of asking to change it for other people based on your preferences, you should be asking yourself, "Do I actually like the game?"
Lewka wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:43 am
What i suggest now, is a vote for a test period, maybe 2 weeks, where players are able to choose this option, and see how it works, how much distance is created among the community. How much negative effects it may have.
Turtle WoW isn't a democracy.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Lewka

Post by Lewka » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:59 am

" Cuz else "They are wasting our time. So we kick them out of the group". That's the kind of toxicity we all want to avoid here. "

They can enjoy the gryphon ride alone, as they want, but if the group ask them to come, they can just turn this feature on and join the group. Why is it so bad? Respect the player own choice for his own time, while respecting others time while in group, as i see.

" You simply don't like a major aspect of the game "

No sir. Dont tell me that staring at the monitor while waiting to travel is a major aspect. Major aspect of game time maybe, but not actual gaming, cause you dont actually play the game.
But this feature let players join their group in the world faster, which is the major aspect.

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:35 pm

Lewka wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:59 am
They can enjoy the gryphon ride alone, as they want, but if the group ask them to come, they can just turn this feature on and join the group. Why is it so bad? Respect the player own choice for his own time, while respecting others time while in group, as i see.
And at this point, as said, it's not an option anymore. we are FORCED by people like you to turn it on.

Jammyxx

Post by Jammyxx » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:59 pm

Inovatu

Post by Inovatu » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:02 pm

i played on a server once, we're you can pay Money about 5€ a Month to open Fast Travel between Flightroutes and Ships and it was only in the Game because that was the only Option for the Serverhost to host the Server.
Flghtpaths and waiting for the Ship/Zeppelin is part of Vanilla and thats a good part.
If you dont like that or dont have the Time to play Vanilla, change the Server, where you get those Features or play Retail WoW, were you have Portals to Somewhere everywhere
So my Answer is still no, i dont want that in the Game!