New WARRIOR Ability Proposal : "Guard".

Chronoslicer

New WARRIOR Ability Proposal : "Guard".

Post by Chronoslicer » Tue May 16, 2023 1:44 pm

Hello. I am proposing 1 new ability and 1 passive ability that would aim to slightly increase warrior survivability in PvP situations, but only if SKILLFULLY used, to prevent being too "overpowered".

Active Ability : Guard. Usable in Battle Stance. Rage cost 15-20, or whatever is reasonable. Cooldown 10 seconds. Must be wielding a weapon. Lasts 3 seconds.

What it does : Ready your weapon in a guard position, increasing your chance to parry the next 2 attacks by 100%. Attacks that circumnavigate parry will penetrate like usual.

How it can be useful : Rewards players anticipating a Holy strike/Stormstrike, Evicerate, Gouge, etc. with a counter.

How it can be countered: Disarm the warrior, waste the guards charges with fast auto-attacks/Crusader strike, stun and flank the warrior. Nuke him with ranged weapons/spells.

Passive ability : Raise Shield.

What it does: When shield block is activated, allows the warrior to reduce the damage of the next ranged attack/spell by 60%, for example, aimed shot and chain lightning. This cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds.

How to counter, rank one spell or other minor attack to eat up the block.

Why these suggestions?

Warriors are a master of arms, and I think a bit more control over your weapons, especially using them to protect yourself from things you see coming a mile away, would make combat more interesting, and open up some nice possibilities.

Let me know what you think!

Rat2156

Re: New WARRIOR Ability Proposal : "Guard".

Post by Rat2156 » Tue May 16, 2023 2:27 pm

While the abilities seem kinda interesting in a vacuum, the issue is that Warrior is already really strong at pretty much everything, so giving them even more power doesn't seem like a great idea

Allwynd01
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Tue May 16, 2023 2:51 pm

Rat2156 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:27 pm
While the abilities seem kinda interesting in a vacuum, the issue is that Warrior is already really strong at pretty much everything, so giving them even more power doesn't seem like a great idea
Agreed, while I don't play Warrior, it's one of the top classes in Vanilla along with Mage and Priest. There should be more love for the neutered classes, like Shaman (all specs), maybe Balance Druid.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Tue May 16, 2023 3:14 pm

The Guard ability sounds nice in theory but in practice is extremely strong in unintended ways.
From the obvious limitations of eating potentially 6-7 Seconds worth of enhancer damage (WF can't even trigger if the basehit gets parried to more obscure things.
Disarming as a countermechanic is just non existent. FIrst of all, only warriors can unconditionally disarm opponents. And Disarm itself is a parriable attack. And even when jumping behind the guarding warrior, it can be simply ignored if wearing diarm immunity gloves or a weapon chain.
It also gives you probably 2 instances of parry haste which translates to about a free hit of parryhaste to completely offset its cost with a slow twohander.

I like the concept of a "come at me i'm gonna deflect your attack" type ability, But in the current iteration it seems strong in the wrong matchups to me. It also creates some probably unintended interactions with protection warriors, being able to dance between shieldblock & guard to have even better mitigation.

Blocking Ranged attacks as player is a thing in the classic combat mechanics. Only mobs can not block incomming ranged attacks, So i don't think that needs to be changed more. Pressing Shieldblock will shave off about 100 dmg from the next two incoming ranged attacks each.

Spellblock i think should only exist for deep prot warrior if at all. Classic WoW is bursty by its nature. Warriors have Intercept Pummel and spell pushback to deal with casters as is. Such a strong defensive option should not come on an offensive powerhouse
(See Paladin for Offensive powerhouse with too much survivability)

Boras

Post by Boras » Tue May 16, 2023 3:26 pm

Chronoslicer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:44 pm
Hello. I am proposing 1 new ability and 1 passive ability that would aim to slightly increase warrior survivability in PvP situations, but only if SKILLFULLY used, to prevent being too "overpowered".

Active Ability : Guard. Usable in Battle Stance. Rage cost 15-20, or whatever is reasonable. Cooldown 10 seconds. Must be wielding a weapon. Lasts 3 seconds.

What it does : Ready your weapon in a guard position, increasing your chance to parry the next 2 attacks by 100%. Attacks that circumnavigate parry will penetrate like usual.

How it can be useful : Rewards players anticipating a Holy strike/Stormstrike, Evicerate, Gouge, etc. with a counter.

How it can be countered: Disarm the warrior, waste the guards charges with fast auto-attacks/Crusader strike, stun and flank the warrior. Nuke him with ranged weapons/spells.

What it does: When shield block is activated, allows the warrior to reduce the damage of the next ranged attack/spell by 60%, for example, aimed shot and chain lightning. This cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds.

Why these suggestions?

Warriors are a master of arms, and I think a bit more control over your weapons, especially using them to protect yourself from things you see coming a mile away, would make combat more interesting, and open up some nice possibilities.

So make an already brokenly op class even more broken and op? Nah

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Tue May 16, 2023 3:47 pm

The first skill would be nice on rogue.

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Tue May 16, 2023 4:16 pm

Boras wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:26 pm
Chronoslicer wrote:

Why these suggestions?

Provide some specific points like Kairion! Made a valid argument there

Boras

Post by Boras » Tue May 16, 2023 5:54 pm

Chronoslicer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:16 pm
Boras wrote:
Chronoslicer wrote:

Why these suggestions?

I dont need to argue anything lol warriors are op in vanilla wow and you want them even more broken than they already are.

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Tue May 16, 2023 7:38 pm

Boras wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:54 pm
Chronoslicer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:16 pm
Boras wrote:

I dont need to argue anything lol warriors are op in vanilla wow and you want them even more broken than they already are.
Ok