mana issues really killing gameplay, solutions?

Memnoch

mana issues really killing gameplay, solutions?

Post by Memnoch » Tue May 09, 2023 4:17 pm

Hi, I'm levelling a shaman, just hit 38.
I'm mostly interested in going Resto at max level, and heal dungeons regularly. mana issues are not too bad there, typically because there's usually a pala giving me blessing of wisdom.

However when I'm levelling solo, i'm having to drink after every 2 mobs, as Enhancement. Surely this can't be right? I'm on the verge of respeccing Ele for levelling, as this is just no fun.
I'm typically casting stormstrike, then a max level earthshock, autoattacking and maybe a 2nd earthshock if no WF procs. But doing this for 2 mobs, and i'm oom. My gear isn't that bad, but is geared for strength and agility.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is enhancement just really bad? on the odd occasion I get a dps role in a dungeon, i'm oom all the time and just autoattacking and placing totems...

suggestions?

Kairion

Re: mana issues really killing gameplay, solutions?

Post by Kairion » Tue May 09, 2023 4:29 pm

Enhancement can be quite a manahungry spec.

There are a few reasons for this.
1. Enhancer shamans usually wanna wear gear with strength & Agility, not Intelligence & Spirit. As a result their manapool is comparatively small.
2. The way mana regeneration works is extremely unkind to shamans. After casting a spell you don't regenerate any mana for 5 seconds (Outside of some classes that have specific talents for that (shaman has none of them)). So if you use shocks on CD you are almost perfectly negating all your manaregeneration.
3. Shocks are incredibly expensive spells due to both high damage and secondary effects.
4. You went for Stormstrike first, The elemental tree can reduce the manacost a bit, but you don't have access to it yet and the effect is quite small.

You can remedy the problem in a few ways:
1. Cast a few spells in rapid succession and then don't cast for a while. This allows your manaregeneration to kick back in. Refrain from using casts to finish someone off as it shuts off your manaregen.
2. Make heavy use of Stength of the Earth & manaspring totem - they are incredibly good spells if you are near them for the full duration - place them in the area you wanna farm and kite the mobs within range.
3. Get some gear with spirit - while generally seen as a weak move, while lvling spirit is actually useful, particularly when combined with trick #1
4. You can eat and drink at the same time. Meaning you need less mana to heal if you also carry food with you.

But at the end of the day Enhancement Shaman is the class/spec with by far the most manastruggles in the entire game

Greese

Post by Greese » Tue May 09, 2023 4:53 pm

Memnoch wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:17 pm
Hi, I'm levelling a shaman, just hit 38.
I'm mostly interested in going Resto at max level, and heal dungeons regularly. mana issues are not too bad there, typically because there's usually a pala giving me blessing of wisdom.

However when I'm levelling solo, i'm having to drink after every 2 mobs, as Enhancement. Surely this can't be right? I'm on the verge of respeccing Ele for levelling, as this is just no fun.
I'm typically casting stormstrike, then a max level earthshock, autoattacking and maybe a 2nd earthshock if no WF procs. But doing this for 2 mobs, and i'm oom. My gear isn't that bad, but is geared for strength and agility.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is enhancement just really bad? on the odd occasion I get a dps role in a dungeon, i'm oom all the time and just autoattacking and placing totems...

suggestions?
Take longer to kill things but spend less time drinking is the unfortunate reality of leveling shaman, or change the way you gear. Right now stacking agi+str means you hit hard and hopefully crit for flurry. I would avoid max rank shocks in this scenario.

Finding gear with more int and spirit would allow you to shock more often (I would still probably limit myself to just one shock per pull) and then regen the mana between mobs.

Pulling mobs back to your totems or pulling multiple mobs and using fire totems to AoE them is also a viable strategy. You would definitely be drinking after, but at least you would have more mobs down.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon May 15, 2023 2:21 pm

for anyone else considering rolling shaman - update

I tried respeccing elemental : better in dungeons for mana, but terrible solo, no spell pushback resistance, and earthbind totem is very buggy and unreliable, no fun at all.

I'd love to get to 50+ level and see all the new dungeons, but I think i've burnt out on this class, simply not fun gameplay crying_turtle

edit, for anyone that cares, I got to lvl 42
Last edited by Memnoch on Mon May 15, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greese

Post by Greese » Mon May 15, 2023 3:26 pm

Things do get better 50+. Turtle has added a lot of % mana regen while cast gear and some easy to obtain nature power gear. The Stormstrike leggings are BOE as well and aren't too high priced. They reduce the mana cost of nature spells.

Darbo

Post by Darbo » Mon May 15, 2023 8:19 pm

My thoughts are 2h is not fun to level cause I have to as you say eat and drink after two mobs if I don't use the earthgrab kite method.

So I switched to fast 1h+shield and it's much better. I can right click and chill can kill two/3 mobs at a time with magma aoe and I have to drink after say 5-6 mobs. Get that dagger that has chance on hit to heal you on lvl 52 I think and it's easy from there. But like I said I would try 1h plus a shield.

Vaselrman13

Post by Vaselrman13 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:43 pm

Darbo wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:19 pm
My thoughts are 2h is not fun to level cause I have to as you say eat and drink after two mobs if I don't use the earthgrab kite method.

So I switched to fast 1h+shield and it's much better. I can right click and chill can kill two/3 mobs at a time with magma aoe and I have to drink after say 5-6 mobs. Get that dagger that has chance on hit to heal you on lvl 52 I think and it's easy from there. But like I said I would try 1h plus a shield.
Can you show your build for 1h+shield please?

Darbo

Post by Darbo » Sun May 21, 2023 9:13 pm

Vaselrman13 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:43 pm
Can you show your build for 1h+shield please?
https://talents.turtle-wow.org/shaman/5CJ-5500Z01

I would go with this (not sure if stormstrike is worth getting first over elemental focus.

Masklili

Post by Masklili » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:41 am

Darbo wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:19 pm

I'd like to know what the name of the dagger is, and hopefully it can be of some help to me as well. satisfied_turtle_head

Hanssulu

Post by Hanssulu » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:47 am

Hi there, i think he means Julie's dagger:

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=6660

hf :>

also go for elemental Focus at first, its very good to not burn out mana that fast. (still too fast but crying_turtle )

Masklili

Post by Masklili » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:28 am

Hanssulu wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:47 am
Hi there, i think he means Julie's dagger:

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=6660

hf :>

also go for elemental Focus at first, its very good to not burn out mana that fast. (still too fast but crying_turtle )
Thank you very much, I never noticed the usefulness of this dagger, I'll give it a try when I get to a certain level. satisfied_turtle

Hanssulu

Post by Hanssulu » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:27 am

I foud an even more interesting 1h mace for enhancement:

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=17943

Its a maraudon drop from the big stone guy.

Could help with wf and elemental focus and some mp3 items to use shocks on cd.

Masklili

Post by Masklili » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:27 am

Hanssulu wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:27 am
I foud an even more interesting 1h mace for enhancement:

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=17943

Its a maraudon drop from the big stone guy.

Could help with wf and elemental focus and some mp3 items to use shocks on cd.
Wow! This one is also very nice and perfect for my current level.