How to fix Shaman's PvE and not break PvP

Whoopie

How to fix Shaman's PvE and not break PvP

Post by Whoopie » Wed May 03, 2023 7:51 am

There are some issues with Shamans in PvE, most of which comes down to either sustain damage or mana issues in prolonged fights. Here are some stuff that might help the class feel better and not make them stronger in PvP.

1. Water Shield
Water shield is a great addition, but it's mostly for some solo PvE or situational PvP. There is no real use for it in raid settings nor in most PvP situations, where you can kill your target from afar and refill after.

How to fix it?
Make Water Shield cost 0 mana to not break MP5 rule and add passive mana regen to the shield OR make it that you expend one Water Globe from the ability whenever you score a critical hit with Damaging spell, Melee hit or Healing spell, this can only proc every few seconds. In addition, reduce all damage caused by 10% while Water Shield is active. As we all know, damage is not one of Shaman's problem. Mana is. This can balance both worlds without the need to cast downranked spells.

2. Earth Shield
Another great addition that needs a Thunderhead-like treatment. Again, there is no use in raids and works only in situational PvP.

How to fix it?
Create a new Talent in Resto talent tree (Row 6) leading from talent Healing Way (which can be made into 2-point talent anyway) that makes Earth Shield castable on allies with increased Globes (6 or 9 globes). Only one Earth Shield can be active at one time. This will help Shaman healers without making Ele any stronger in PvP and give them some sort of buff on the main tank.

3. Bloodlust
This talent is a support ability that you kind of don't want to use on others but somehow have to. It's an ability that makes you feel bad every time you use it. That being said, it has no use in PvP and 10% melee attack speed for a melee build for 20 seconds is useless anyway.

How to fix it?
Make Bloodlust always proc on Shaman too whenever he uses it on an ally AND make the Shaman receive 10% less damage from all sources while under Bloodlust effect. This fills Shaman's need of "oh sht" button while tanking and can help their easily kitable squishiness in PvP without making them unkillable or too oppresive.

That's all for now.
Last edited by Whoopie on Wed May 03, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grindplayertwo

Re: How to fix Shaman's PvE and not break PvP

Post by Grindplayertwo » Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 am

For Bloodlust, I changed nothing in my slide. But for Water Shield and Earth shield + the talent on resto, my ideas are this :

Water Shield suggestion :
Actual level 60 Water Shield is now rank 2 and allow you 30% of your mana regeneration to continue while casting.
Rank 1 is learned at lvl 30 and give 42 mana per orb used. allow you 15% of your mana regeneration to continue while casting. xx mana cost.

Earth Shield Shield suggestion :
Actual level 60 Earth Shield is now rank 2 and give 30% more armor bonus
Rank 1 is learned at lvl 30 and give 75 heal per orb with 15% more armor bonus. Give 30% chance ignoring spell interruption. xx mana cost.

Gift from Elements (pretty close of your suggestion
Row 5 / 1 point talent.
When you cast Healing wave or Lesser Healing Wave spell, there is 10% chance the target receives one of your shield spell for free.

For more, you can read the shaman suggestion megathread :
viewtopic.php?p=44104#p44104

Whoopie

Post by Whoopie » Wed May 03, 2023 9:04 am

Grindplayertwo wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 am
This would make Shamans really powerful in PvP. Extra 30% armor on top of all the armor they already have would put them over 9k armor, which is like 65% damage reduction. All that kiting potential with added block, dodge, parry and other stuff while being passively healed by the Earth Shield would make then pretty much unkillable and would hurt PvP on the server in the long run.

Grindplayertwo

Post by Grindplayertwo » Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am

With PVP in mind, we change nothing and shaman will stay a garbage class for pve.
PVP is already an unbalanced mess.. so I don't care about that

Stinkyjames

Post by Stinkyjames » Wed May 03, 2023 11:37 am

Whoopie wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:04 am
Grindplayertwo wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 am
This would make Shamans really powerful in PvP. Extra 30% armor on top of all the armor they already have would put them over 9k armor, which is like 65% damage reduction. All that kiting potential with added block, dodge, parry and other stuff while being passively healed by the Earth Shield would make then pretty much unkillable and would hurt PvP on the server in the long run.
You mean like how paladins can 1shot plate geared folks?

Whoopie

Post by Whoopie » Wed May 03, 2023 3:52 pm

Stinkyjames wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:37 am
You mean like how paladins can 1shot plate geared folks?
Well, I am trying to find solutions to fix things, not create new problems.

------------

That being said, another change comes to my mind that could help Enchancement Shamans in raids and not hurt PvP balance.

Thunderhead and Lightning Shield rework
Currently, talent Thunderhead and Improved Lightning Shield are, to put it mildly, useless. Move these talents into lower rows of the talent tree and instead of improving damage by 15%, add more Lightning Orbs.

3/3 Improved Lightning Shield - Adds +2 Orbs per talent (+6 in total).

Thunderhead - Lightning Orbs can proc off of Melee hits, this can proc only every few seconds.

This would remove the need of constant re-casting of the Lightning Shield and save Shamans some mana. In addition, by making it proc off of melee hits, it will give them slight DPS boost which they need as well without making tham any more or less oppressive in PvP.
Last edited by Whoopie on Wed May 03, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Wed May 03, 2023 4:01 pm

Your water shield is a bit off there, Whoopie. It's not even for leveling as you first get it at 60. There was some talk about level 60 being the placeholder for it and that it would be lowered with the actual release of the Class Reworks but that obviously did not happen.

The ability is just useless. They added a few spells to the Shaman Class before patting themself on the shoulder for a job well done but if you really take a closer look at all the abilities they are either extremely situational or just straight up garbage.

Grindplayertwo

Post by Grindplayertwo » Wed May 03, 2023 4:12 pm

so, with Discord's member, I continue tu refine this thing. So don't care about my first comment ;-)

Whoopie

Post by Whoopie » Wed May 03, 2023 4:42 pm

To be fair, it's not that easy to find balance between PvE and PvP. Limitless mana Ele Shamans in BGs would wreck havoc. They need just a little push with that mana problem to give them better PvE standing point. Enha Shaman needs a little push in both damage and mana, while increasing his tanking capabilities a little. Resto would greatly fit that Earth Shield tank buff.

Other classes need balance as well. Combo point system rework to not loose combo points of target2 cc, Druid rework, Paladin nerf. Other classes are ok-ish balanced both in PvP and PvE.

Keds

Post by Keds » Mon May 08, 2023 1:33 pm

Actually I changed my mind.

I'm new to the server, I was all about balance and all that jazz. But seeing the Pally buff that they made and their pvp potential, HOLY shit FUCK the PvP man, give US that pally juice... /s

I really hope the team does something about Enh, is actually sad to see what they did to pallyes, but doesn't give us 10% of that to shamans...

We need to remind ourselves that totem twisting is only a thing because we can't compensate the agility DPS bonus of 4 others melees on our group....

Stinkyjames

Post by Stinkyjames » Mon May 08, 2023 5:48 pm

Fun fact, currently stormstrike does not proc weapon enhancements lmao. SO there is that.

Noce

Post by Noce » Tue May 09, 2023 6:41 pm

i posted alot of stuff regarding shamans in general. some awesome ideas and solutions. other ppl also had interesting things to say. but imo few things should be done for shamans in general. make each spec unique and improve pvp arsenal. give ele casters totem, give resto castable earth shield, etc.. all those thing u can see here:
viewtopic.php?p=34002#p34002
viewtopic.php?p=33088#p33088
viewtopic.php?p=22301#p22301

im most interested atm in making shaman better in pvp. since all other clasess are way op in cc/survival/mobility arsenal at their disposal. some of those abilities should be removed or tweaked. why not make hunts freeze trap just to root you instead of total freeze? why not make paladins buble just a buff like a priests pw:s? all other things can be tweaked like that. general cooldown, duration and effects should be considered to be revised and tweaked.

but for shamans id go like this. id recommend giving few baseline abilities such as Hex, Ghost Wolf ( even remove it from talents and make it instant cast ), Wind Shear ( not to share a cooldown with shocks ), Clense and make a Earthbind Totem to root targets instead of slow.

and for enha make a last talent a maelstrom BUT to work similar like EotS exept u get instant dmg cast when u make mele crit. make it mbe 33% chance or smtn like that. imo this is a win-win for both pve and pvp.

Noce

Post by Noce » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:08 pm

it would be interesting to make stormstrike a baseline spell and make debuff last 15 sec instead od 2 strikes. and make it a improved ss in talents that will give back mana on melee crit or smtm like that.

Geojak
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Geojak » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:37 pm

"Not break pvp? " sry too late they are already broken. Nerf thx