Necromancy (A Warlock Summon Skin Suggestion)

Qixel

Necromancy (A Warlock Summon Skin Suggestion)

Post by Qixel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:36 am

INTRODUCTION TO THE NECROMANCER
If you're anything like me, you've wanted to play a necromancer forever. Death Knights were close, but they weren't exactly it, and they're not even here. But luckily, warlocks are pretty close. Trading frost for fire and undead for demons, we basically make do. But what if we could get a step closer to our ideal?

And so, I propose a quest chain to let our existing warlock characters dabble in the school of Necromancy.

IMPORTANT NOTES
  • While they look undead, they would remain demons.
  • While they might have different names, they are still imps, voidwalkers, etc. for the purposes of things that care about that.
  • This is intended to be entirely cosmetic. There is no bonus to using or not using the skins.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course I'm interested in such knowledge, but where would I go to learn the dark arts?
Each faction's warlocks will learn Necromancy through quests given by an NPC. Horde players may be familiar with their trainer, Gunther Arcanus. A tremendously talented necromancer, he is famous for being the only undead to have broken himself free of the Lich King's control. Currently, he takes residence on an island in Brightwater Lake within the Tirisfal Glades. Who better to teach aspiring necromancers of the horde than perhaps the greatest necromancer to ever unlive?

Alliance players will instead seek out Sophitia Abendritter, a mysterious woman who has taken refuge within the Elwynn Forest. No one knows where she came from, and she's not exactly open to speaking of it, but her skill as a necromancer is undeniable.

And what must I give in return?
The Necromancy Trainers will have tasks for you to complete before they teach you to raise a new undead servant; after all, they need to know you're worthy of the knowledge, and while you've likely proved your power as a demonologist, that's comparing two separate things. Aspiring Necromancers can generally seek out training a short while after they've learned to summon a new demon. For example, if you recently learned how to summon and bind an imp to your will, your trainer may feel you are ready to learn how to conjure and bind a shade. But the summoning of an imp and conjuring of a shade require different things, so they will send you out to learn more about shades through combat. Regardless of what task they assign, they are men and women of their word and will teach you the knowledge as promised.

What would I be learning?
The four base warlock demons would have a corresponding undead variant to be learned.
  • Imp = Shade
  • Voidwalker = Skeletal Guard
  • Succubus = Banshee
  • Felhunter = Ghoul
Each new servant will require greater knowledge than the last, and perhaps there would be more to learn after that...
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Qixel

Re: Necromancy (A Warlock Summon Skin Suggestion)

Post by Qixel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:36 am

I've been wanting to post this as a suggestion for a while, but never got around to it. I'll likely add more stuff as I think of it, and I have other ideas written down elsewhere for safekeeping if this is recieved favorably. I'd be happy to write quest text for both Arcanus and Sophitia (actually a character of my own, so she'd be easy enough to write) to make it easy on you guys, aha. I have ideas for the quests, but balance isn't more forte, so I'd prefer to talk with the devs directly in regards to that rather than posting ideas in the open and coloring people's opinions unnecessarily.

Punchbuggy

Post by Punchbuggy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:08 am

Recolor fire to something else? Maybe not Frost as that is taken, but what? Fel Ice? Or maybe stay fire and just call it Witchfire or something. I dunno. I like the idea. Especially of a different skinned blueberry. Afflic wouldn't change much, if at all. Demo would be just straight Necrosis or something similar. Is it possible to put a marker on individual toons to have recolored spells? The RP of my lock wouldn't allow me to take this option, but it is intriguing regardless.
Sometimes I amuse only myself

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 pm

So, to create new spells this requires DBC editing, which would require a custom patch that everyone would have to download themselves. This is something the devs are against at the moment.

Also, I think mages would make more sense having these options. Warlocks don't dabble in necromancy, but mages who've been led astray do.

But I like the idea of adding necromancy to the game, so here's my suggestion. When it comes to the four demons that would now have a demon variant, I would scrap that idea. It is too similar to what warlocks have. Instead, I'd be in favor of a spell that mages could use on dead humanoids / players to raise skeletons/ghouls. These 'pets' would only last 5 minutes or so. Overall though, your idea about a quest to learn necromancy is a great one, and something I'd like to see!
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm

Also, here is a quote from WoWpedia:

"Necromancers are the enemies of life itself, and all hands are raised against them. Some of the worst evils in Azeroth's history have been perpetrated by necromancers, and they deserve their malevolent reputation. Few things are as abhorrent and horrifying as necromancy."

So, there is a question to all of this; how does the world react to the player being a necromancer? Pretty badly I'd say. Remember in WotLK, the npcs would throw apples and make hostile comments to DKs before being pardoned by their respective faction's leader? Well, obviously we can't have every npc do this to the player forever, because that'd get annoying. But, perhaps a reputation decrease with the player's faction upon completing this quest would be a fair response.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Pompa

Post by Pompa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm

We can modify skins for Warlock pets, we'll study that idea (we can't modify spell color and things like that, though, as Kazgrim said)! This is unrelated, but we can also modify skins of the druid forms, I've always wanted to do that.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Yup, Pompa confirming in Discord that skins could be added for warlock pets is what prompted me to bother writing this all up, aha. So I'm basically only worried about the skins at the moment. As for how the world hates necromancers, and what that should mean for our characters, I don't feel that it should mean anything. After all, warlocks are equally hated and disdained by the world for dabbling in magic that actively threatens the world, and there's no mechanical penalty to playing one. Lore-wise, they kind of just keep it secret; to the world at large, they're just regular mages. All the demon summoning and sacrifices and imprisoning souls takes place out of the public eye, and our warlock characters would continue to practice this deception as they dabble in necromancy.

Seelenschmied

Post by Seelenschmied » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I would love to play a necromancer instead of a warlock. Especially as an undead. The skinswap sounds really nice. Plus the questline. Sad that the spells can't be adjusted colourwise :(

Necromancers and warlocks are similar hated, so no problem with that.

Waremtae

Post by Waremtae » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Newer here and suggested this in game when inquired on what players would want added. Glad to see there are others with similar interest in this RP.

Gerdyus

Post by Gerdyus » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:56 pm

Any possibility of this still happening? :D

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:06 am

I'm hoping so. The druid skins came to fruition, after all, so it stands to reason we could get warlock pet skins in the shop, too.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:42 pm

I think this is a cool idea and I'd love to see it in game.

Instead of shades replacing imps, though, why not skeletal mages? They're the spellcasters that necromancers could summon in Warcraft 3. Then you could use shades to replace the Eye of Kilrogg, since shades were spy units for the Undead army in Warcraft 3.

I also think the warlock summoned mounts could be swapped with undead ones, and summoned infernals and doomguards could have a skin swap if possible (maybe with bone golems and abominations, as I think it'd be really cool to be a necromancer and have an abomination at your command).

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:21 am

big +1 to this post.

Plenty of people wanna be necromancers real bad, and this suggested implementation is a clean and simple way to give a satisfying enough taste for those people who are old wow enjoyers.

Oh, and if this warlock pet skin tech gets added, Incubus skins can be implemented the same way. But preferably with a reskin that actually fits the oldwow art style, unlike how we see in WotLK classic right now which is straight up using the ugly retail art style.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:51 am

Necromancer thread necro’d but yeah don’t know why this great idea never happened.