Turtle HD Project

Runningjohnny

Re: Turtle HD (WIP)

Post by Runningjohnny » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:50 pm

Thank you, guys, for this amazing patch and for being a force of passion in this community.

Ardur

Post by Ardur » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:44 pm

How is it possible to use the old Power Word: Shield spell effect while still having the rest of the patch intact? I thought it was as easy as opening the Patch A.Mpq with the MPQ Editor and to delete to "holy shield" file (I didn't find a dedicated "Power Word Shield" entry) in the "spells" folder but that didn't work. If I delete the whole "spells" folder within the Mpq Editor it works strange wise, of course this way I got all the old spell effects, not only for Power Word Shield.

Could someone explain the way to me for dummies how to only set 1 spell effect back to the original while keeping the rest in their Legion effect shape?

Thanks again for your great work with this Patch Guys <3

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:23 pm

Ardur wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:44 pm
How is it possible to use the old Power Word: Shield spell effect while still having the rest of the patch intact? I thought it was as easy as opening the Patch A.Mpq with the MPQ Editor and to delete to "holy shield" file (I didn't find a dedicated "Power Word Shield" entry) in the "spells" folder but that didn't work. If I delete the whole "spells" folder within the Mpq Editor it works strange wise, of course this way I got all the old spell effects, not only for Power Word Shield.

Could someone explain the way to me for dummies how to only set 1 spell effect back to the original while keeping the rest in their Legion effect shape?

Thanks again for your great work with this Patch Guys <3
Yeah it's just a matter of finding the right file. Holy shield is I think a paladin spell so that's probably why that didn't work. I myself want to get rid of that effect so let me know if you find it! Good news is if deleting the spells folder fixed it that means the file must be in there.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Astricon wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:25 am
patch-C.MPQ

Updated for Goblins.

You will find some night elf related files in this patch because I'm working on fixing the black hair breaking face issue. Working on the goblin male actually gave me an idea as to what could be the problem (improperly formatted facial hair textures or something of that nature), so hopefully I will be able to fix that soon.

Some notes about this patch

- Parity with non-HD: For female goblins, I tried to match eye color first for their faces. This results in a variety of face types that are absolutely not similar to what the non-HD users will see, but the cata textures I used didn't have many face types that were similar enough to the non-HD faces and also matching in eye color, and I was lazy because the female goblin model was so easy to fix. The scarred face isn't something that exists in cata textures, so I used "old face" textures in those cases usually. I figure it's similar enough. Let me know if this is something that you would like changed in the future--it's not that hard, I just didn't feel like it at the moment.
- I spent days and hours and hours of time trying to solve the goblin male model being shitty looking compared to other HD models. It seems like the model is a cata body with a vanilla goblin head on top, meaning the cata body texture fits like a glove but the face textures result in C'thun. I got as far as importing a cata model into blender but then couldn't figure out how to export it to .m2 and I decided instead to color-match the face textures to the working body textures. I think it actually came out well enough. I used photoshop to smooth out some of the drastic and ugly contrast so the ears and nose aren't so black-lined. I also improved hair texture for both genders including the ugly-ass goblin male facial hair (that was a real pain).
- Skin tones are actually pretty close to what they are in non-HD, and goblin female hair color is pretty exact as well, but goblin male hair color is somewhat different. The cata hair is nicer looking, though, so I went with quality over parity.

I thought the dwarf patch was the last major racial texture fix, but this one was pretty big too. Next one should be black night elf hair issue, if all is lucky. Thanks for all the positive vibes I've been getting, it means a lot since I am struggling in my software engineering job lately!
Haven't tested this yet, but for your m2 problems, ask in support channel for a 3D modeler on the team to give you advice.

Hopstoopid

Post by Hopstoopid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:28 pm

Any reason there is no visible graphic when I cast Moonfire or Starfire as a Druid? That's the only thing I have noticed so far.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:29 pm

Hopstoopid wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:28 pm
Any reason there is no visible graphic when I cast Moonfire or Starfire as a Druid? That's the only thing I have noticed so far.
Neither of these issues should have anything to do with the HD patch. I use it and play Boomkin and both these spells have proper animations.

Hopstoopid

Post by Hopstoopid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:32 pm

Hmm weird, I see a blank animation when I use either spell and only see the damage numbers. Could be on my end I guess

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:08 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:01 pm
Haven't tested this yet, but for your m2 problems, ask in support channel for a 3D modeler on the team to give you advice.
I posted in the discord support channel. No idea if it'll be something that the devs will respond to but I'd have to imagine there at one point existed a downported cata model so it would be nice if that could just be sent to me somehow

Routable

Post by Routable » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:01 pm

Just added the two patch files listed in the first post, and everything seems fine but I'm noticing some major texture issues with the Swift Grey Steed, a Turtle WoW donation mount. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the texture, or a configuration issue on my end. Thoughts?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 pm

It's a texture issue. It's one of the mounts that doesn't yet have a proper texture. Mounts we will definitely tackle whenever Astricon finds the time and wherewithall.

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:38 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 pm
It's a texture issue. It's one of the mounts that doesn't yet have a proper texture. Mounts we will definitely tackle whenever Astricon finds the time and wherewithall.
Some of the new NPC's also suffers from texture issues, 2 being the new orgrimmar quartermaster and the revantusk troll quest giver at the new zone

Johnedward

Post by Johnedward » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:02 am

Ardur wrote:
How is it possible to use the old Power Word: Shield spell effect while still having the rest of the patch intact? <snip>
Heh, I started doing this exact same thing like an hour ago.
As you noticed, it's somewhere in the Spells folder as removing that entirely works - specifically it's one of the loose files in that folder. Narrowing it down by trial and error wasn't that hard, just remove all files that start by "H" fixes it, then narrow it down a few at a time.

It's "Spells/Holydivineshield_state_base.M2".
And to make a replacement that doesn't get overwritten every time this project gets an update, create a new .MPQ file with a name like Patch-Z so it gets loaded in last, and copy the original file into that.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:25 am

Bittermens wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:38 pm
Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 pm
Some of the new NPC's also suffers from texture issues, 2 being the new orgrimmar quartermaster and the revantusk troll quest giver at the new zone
Those are less an issue with the patch and more of how Turtle made those particular NPCs. Ideally, they would generate NPCs based on displayIDs, and even create new displayIDs and equipment displayIDs for which there exists the assets in the HD patch. The ones that look messed up, I believe, are using what's called prebaked textures, which is a specific texture generated wholly for that NPC. It's less elegant, and the only way to fix that would either to create and HD prebake (a hassle) or ask the devs to consider using the method they used for their other custom NPCs that doesn't result in this issue.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:14 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:25 am
Those are less an issue with the patch and more of how Turtle made those particular NPCs. Ideally, they would generate NPCs based on displayIDs, and even create new displayIDs and equipment displayIDs for which there exists the assets in the HD patch. The ones that look messed up, I believe, are using what's called prebaked textures, which is a specific texture generated wholly for that NPC. It's less elegant, and the only way to fix that would either to create and HD prebake (a hassle) or ask the devs to consider using the method they used for their other custom NPCs that doesn't result in this issue.
Yeah this problem is daunting if you look at the npc textures. There are...hundreds.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:17 am

UPDATE: patch-C

Once I knew the problem, the solution was pretty quick! Night Elves no longer have messed up faces if they have black hair using this patch!

Daithos

Post by Daithos » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:48 am

I've seen some great replacements for certain pets with the HD pack. Have any of the hyenas or wolves been model swapped with the mastiff model? That or one of the owls or carrion birds with the BFA falcons/hawks would be absolutely amazing.

Rejectedgalaxy

Post by Rejectedgalaxy » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:55 am

Someone should go in and remove some of these changes. The WoD login screen is awful, so many ugly loading screens, and a lot of model replacements make no sense. I tried myself. Figured out how to remove the loading screens, but couldn't find some other things I really didn't like.

Ardur

Post by Ardur » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:09 am

Johnedward wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:02 am
Ardur wrote:
How is it possible to use the old Power Word: Shield spell effect while still having the rest of the patch intact? <snip>
As you noticed, it's somewhere in the Spells folder as removing that entirely works - specifically it's one of the loose files in that folder. Narrowing it down by trial and error wasn't that hard, just remove all files that start by "H" fixes it, then narrow it down a few at a time.

And to make a replacement that doesn't get overwritten every time this project gets an update, create a new .MPQ file with a name like Patch-Z so it gets loaded in last, and copy the original file into that.
Thank you so much for chasing down the correct file, will try that directly once I get home together with the creation of a new MPQ file in order to avoid deleting the file after every update.

Huma

Post by Huma » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:54 am

Night elf females have still some weird textures on the ears when you chose black hair with the new astricon patch

Ulminar

Post by Ulminar » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:53 pm

Hello thanks a lot for these but I've been unable to download patch A, I tried it over 10 times on chrome and then firefox. I get a network error near the end, would it be possible for you to host it on Mega or medafire as well even temporarily? Thanks a lot for the models and everything really looking forward to playing with them. I tried disabling my firewall as well, must be something with Google Drive, it's always had issues for me.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:45 pm

Huma wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:54 am
Night elf females have still some weird textures on the ears when you chose black hair with the new astricon patch

Dang didn't notice that. I'll try to figure it out but at least it's better than before!

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:54 pm

Be sure to delete your WDB folder after installing a new version of the patch, as it contains your TEXTURE CACHE.

But yes, this latest patch-C fixes male Night Elf black hair, but it seems female Night Elf black hair and Cata male goblin heads are still WIP.

Huma

Post by Huma » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:08 pm

What can be causing the bad performance on teldrassil? specially when raining the FPS drops a lot

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:48 pm

Vanilla client and its reliance on CPU, not GPU, for framerate bottlenecks. It's just not optimized for the sorts of modern demands we're making of it.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:59 pm

Updated patch-C (same link from previous posts) and should now fix most or all of the remaining issues for black hair on night elves. also made one of the male night elf black beards work better. Only one slight problem is face paint 6 for female night elf with black hair is missing a teeny tiny tip at the top near her scalp which is only visible with certain hairstyles. couldn't figure out why this was happening with a lot of effort and it's so barely noticeable I decided to just let it slide for now.

Goblins are as done as they will ever be unless TWoW devs wanna cough up their trade secrets or models to me, so if you're waiting for more on the male goblin heads you'll be waiting a long ass time.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:37 pm

Johnedward wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:02 am

Thanks for finding this! I'm getting rid of that for myself lol.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:05 am

Astricon wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:59 pm
Updated patch-C (same link from previous posts) and should now fix most or all of the remaining issues for black hair on night elves. also made one of the male night elf black beards work better. Only one slight problem is face paint 6 for female night elf with black hair is missing a teeny tiny tip at the top near her scalp which is only visible with certain hairstyles. couldn't figure out why this was happening with a lot of effort and it's so barely noticeable I decided to just let it slide for now.

Goblins are as done as they will ever be unless TWoW devs wanna cough up their trade secrets or models to me, so if you're waiting for more on the male goblin heads you'll be waiting a long ass time.
You can clear your current patch-C from future pushes to the thread, as I've incorporated your patch-C into patch-A. I would encourage you to keep working on black hair for female Night Elf, however, as there are some Face Markings that cause the markings to appear on the backs of their ears instead. You're doing awesome work, so please keep it up!

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:10 am

********** UPDATE **********

New patch-A.MPQ is available with improved male and female Goblin body textures, Cataclysm female Goblin faces, and (mostly) fixed black Night Elf hair, all courtesy of Astricon. Look forward to fully fixed female black Night Elf hair and possibly Cataclysm male Goblin heads in the future!

Kobaru0

Post by Kobaru0 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:46 am

Astricon wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:25 am
Redmagejoe wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:24 pm
It's likely cache related.
I think I fixed it by deleting my WDB folder. I then became annoyed that the consecration persistent effect was (while no longer infinitely persistent) looping the initial cast animation instead of the persistent animation. I deleted the consecration_impact_base.M2 from Spells folder in patch-A and this solved that problem. Is this file mis-named perhaps?

Edit: after doing all the above it seems the graphic for mage blink is still persisting infinitely. Weird.
Is it possible to delete if from the main patch-a.mpq file so we don't have to delete it manually after each update ?

I don't know the priority on bug fixing, but thanks for the updates and the patches turtle_in_love

Anonymouse123

Post by Anonymouse123 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:49 pm

I tried the pre-4/21 update - my female undead skin troll has a blackness for her face (I'll post a screenshot shortly, if it persists with the 4/21 update) - the things that do work look amazing though, insane!

Anonymouse123

Post by Anonymouse123 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:53 pm

Still in latest - let me know if I can provide any other info.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:29 pm

As was said before: Donation Shop Skins are still not fixed. Please be patient.

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:30 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:05 am

You can clear your current patch-C from future pushes to the thread, as I've incorporated your patch-C into patch-A. I would encourage you to keep working on black hair for female Night Elf, however, as there are some Face Markings that cause the markings to appear on the backs of their ears instead. You're doing awesome work, so please keep it up!
I'm not seeing any of the faulty night elf female markings you mentioned...can you tell me which marking and color combo?

Astricon

Post by Astricon » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:33 pm

Kobaru0 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:46 am
Is it possible to delete if from the main patch-a.mpq file so we don't have to delete it manually after each update ?

I don't know the priority on bug fixing, but thanks for the updates and the patches turtle_in_love
you could make an mpq file yourself that overwrites the model with the original one if you can find it. i myself have just been going in to delete it each time lol

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:50 pm

Astricon wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:30 pm
I'm not seeing any of the faulty night elf female markings you mentioned...can you tell me which marking and color combo?
All facial markings except for "no markings" and the 2 markings after "no markings" display improperly. Go to green hair (to the "right" of black in character select), and cycle through markings, then switch to black hair and you can clearly see the issue. This is about 6 markings, with "no markings" being what I'll call A.

So A, B, and C work, but D through I do not work.