Support for new Achivements Addon

Ugoboom

Support for new Achivements Addon

Post by Ugoboom » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:44 pm

Just a few days ago, a vanilla community member ported the 3.3.5 achievments panel to the 1.12 client:
https://github.com/tsaah/Achiever

He's also forked vmangos to add support for server-side tracking:
https://github.com/tsaah/core/tree/hb-achievements

These commits could probably be merged to turtle's vmangos so we can use this addon, or even maybe have this addon distributed by the updater for everyone. I would suggest waiting a few weeks until the upstream dev gets the addon and the vmangos changes close to feature complete, but yeah, how does everyone feel about an optional or by-default achievement addon?
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Soleman

Re: Support for new Achivements Addon

Post by Soleman » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Interesting, hopefully the devs get a chance to look at this and weigh in on the matter. Achievements are fun as long as the community doesn't use them to gatekeep players from content similarly to what has happened in retail over the years.

If this is implemented, I would like to see an update to the community rules to make sure they aren't used to gatekeep as I mentioned above.

Crommush

Post by Crommush » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:54 pm

Never been a huge fan of achievements, mostly because it turned WoW into this weird collectathon game instead of having players decide what's worth doing or not.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Crommush wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:54 pm
Never been a huge fan of achievements, mostly because it turned WoW into this weird collectathon game instead of having players decide what's worth doing or not.
this is true. a lot of the beauty of vanilla is the self-direction

Khansou

Post by Khansou » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:01 pm

With so much custom content and a title for exploring the WHOLE WORLD, I MYSELF believe that achievments would be a great thing to have in TWoW, at least for me it would be amazing

Kaizod

Post by Kaizod » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:05 am

+1

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:53 am

I think achievements ruin a lot of the game. You know exactly that pug raids want you to post the raid-clear achievement before inviting.

Also seeing an achievement at level 10 in the achievements tab "win the shimmering flats race in thousand needles" totally gives away the joy of finding out you can actually race when you are there.

Pvp achievements ensure that a least part of the playerbase carries the wsg flag as mage rather than letting druid pick it because they want the 50 flags achievement etc.

Zurvion

Post by Zurvion » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:52 pm

Crommush wrote:

Agreed. Achievements is very much a more modern game design feature, introduced to tickle the gamer's brain and encourage you to spend more time in game doing stuff you don't really enjoy or want to do.

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:44 pm

as long as achievements cannot be linked with personal info (like when it was achieved and by who) i'm ok with this. It would push collectionism without gatekeeping people from content bc there's no way to prove you got certain achievement (unless you go big balls and demand a screenshot on discord, and by that time i would remove it entirely)

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:21 am

+!

Sinrek
Has liked: 12 times

Post by Sinrek » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 am

Reploidrocsa wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:44 pm
as long as achievements cannot be linked with personal info (like when it was achieved and by who) i'm ok with this. It would push collectionism without gatekeeping people from content bc there's no way to prove you got certain achievement (unless you go big balls and demand a screenshot on discord, and by that time i would remove it entirely)
That's an inevitable outcome for things like this. sad_turtle
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Kefke
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Kefke » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:56 pm

As an optional thing, I'm fine with it. There could even be an addition of Turtle-specific achievements. It would be fun for people who want a way to challenge themselves.

As a default thing built into the game? I'd rather not. Other people have already given good reasons why it shouldn't be the standard. The elitism issue being the biggest one. I'll add, though, that if it was something for everyone, and not just specifically people trying to give themselves new challenges to complete, I worry that an "achievement meta" would crop up around trying to get them as efficiently/easily as possible, and that's not something I personally want to see.

Remmo87

Post by Remmo87 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:33 pm

+1

This would be amazing, especially for HC
Morgruk - Orc Shaman
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think you do, but perhaps maybe 100% you don't not do.
Or... some of you might actually perhaps most surely do actually anyway, still.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:17 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 am
That's an inevitable outcome for things like this. sad_turtle
Just strip away all the "completed this raid" achievements from the addon and server-side. Bam ez gg, now Duty-complete and Duty-completion players will remain all mixed in together.

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:13 am

Not like clearing raids is difficult, people get carried through them all the time

Madlivzz

Post by Madlivzz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:38 am

Achievements would be nice

Remmo87

Post by Remmo87 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:53 pm

Id like it as an addon. So its totally up to the individual.
I would not like it as an inherited part of the interface
Morgruk - Orc Shaman
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think you do, but perhaps maybe 100% you don't not do.
Or... some of you might actually perhaps most surely do actually anyway, still.

Jaccob

Post by Jaccob » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:27 pm

+1
This would add an incredible amount of things to do outside of raidlogging, completionism is a thing loved by huge amount of MMO players

Zaccar20

Post by Zaccar20 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:19 pm

+1 I always missed Achivements in Classic

Danholtzchar

Post by Danholtzchar » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:58 pm

+1 Would like to see achievements as well

Danholtzchar

Post by Danholtzchar » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:39 pm

Just logged in and realized why there is no achievements, the server shop sells the achievements rewards (Tabards / Mounts / Pets).

Archtundra

Post by Archtundra » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:03 pm

Getting achievements in retail was my favourite thing to do. Would love to see it in turtle wow
Right now if someone says that he has done a specific raid or dungeon you have to trust them. With achievements implemented you can just look it up yourself.

Bob022

Post by Bob022 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:42 pm

Don't need this; automatic achievement systems are a plague on the genre akin to gear-scores and other cancers. Game is far better off without it.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:07 pm

Bob022 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:42 pm
Don't need this; automatic achievement systems are a plague on the genre akin to gear-scores and other cancers. Game is far better off without it.
i love how people post this with no actual reasoning, ya just say "Bad no" lol

Optional achievements that players need to opt into, and by default people play without, is awesome. That's what I'm proposing.

Ziggyw

Post by Ziggyw » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:54 am

Absolutely agree some achievement mechanisms can ruin gameplay, like providing achi to get into raid or doing stupid things just for achi
But also have to say achievements gave me reason to play way longer then i was expecting on retail
As everything - there are pros and cons, but making it optional addon will not solve anything - i.e. if you say you cant provide achi to get into raid bcz you dont use addon will get you rejected anyway
Simplest IMHO solution will be making it not-linkable and maybe add a option to enable/disable
Cannot link - cannot be asked to
Don't want to see it - disable it
there still be some ppl asking for help with achi like bg example, but ... there's always downside

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:25 am

Ziggyw wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:54 am
Absolutely agree some achievement mechanisms can ruin gameplay, like providing achi to get into raid or doing stupid things just for achi
That could be solved by not being able to show personal info, only the achievement itself, just like a quest. This way you can look for ppl to complete certain achievement but can't be gatekeep

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:43 pm

Ziggyw wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:54 am
Please read the full thread before posting. I've already addressed this concern.

Ziggyw

Post by Ziggyw » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:54 pm

Please read the full thread before posting. I've already addressed this concern.
and that means i cannot agree with you ? kinda funny ...

Adorlastus

Post by Adorlastus » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:26 am

I think achievements are a great way tot reward grinding players: cooking/fishing/dungeons/Explorer/ PvP, etc...

Would be interesting to have them ingame as in WotlK. I dont think this would alter in any way the non willing players to do them.

Just a Nice tot have but maybe too much work...

Great serv! And great community! turtle_in_love

Shamanshaulic

Post by Shamanshaulic » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:01 pm

+1 BUMP

Dasitmane

Post by Dasitmane » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:32 pm

Crommush wrote:

Hard agree

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:23 pm

I think I would prefer non-addon server side achievements implementation but custom achievements for Turtle, not the achievements from retail. They were very uninspired for the most part. That being said I liked achievements that tracked unlocking titles like The Insane and The Explorer.
If Turtle WoW was to implement custom achievements I would hope in the same stride they would implement guild achievements too but again not how it was done on retail as it killed small guild communities.

Emilyrose89

Post by Emilyrose89 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:15 pm

Crommush wrote:

I disagree, I think achievements provide another part of the game players can decide to either pursue or not.

I do understand why some people would not like achievements, but as long as:

- there is a rule to prevent using achievements for gatekeeping

- seeing other players achievements is hidden behind at least two or three clicks

- players have the option to not have their own achievements tracked at all

then I don't see how this would negatively impact people who don't like achievements.

Booth

Post by Booth » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Absolutely, for me turtle is made for achievments! Have the mod installed.. to bad it aint working on turtle.