10 minute mute for making a joke?

Forumdawg

10 minute mute for making a joke?

Post by Forumdawg » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:17 am

In World chat someone was saying that the boat to Auberidne was taking a while, so I said must be covid delays.

I received a 10 minute mute and a warning:

At no point did I discuss politics, religions, or any other socially controversial or vulgar/sexual matters.

I don't understand why I received a 10 minute mute for making this joke. Could someone clarify this? Was it something else that I said?

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Re: 10 minute mute for making a joke?

Post by Sylveria » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:23 am

I'd say that Covid itself might be a controversial topic, since some say it's just an invention of the goverment or other conspiracy theories. That might've been the reason, but i can only make assumptions.

Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:49 am

Strictly prohibited means strictly prohibited. That would include jokes. Covid-19 is a controversial topic. A ten minute mute is nothing. Don’t sweat it.

Nilay

Post by Nilay » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:26 am

Ten minute mute for that is OK. Yeah, it was a light joke, but how often does a simple little joke like this end up with guys deciding to explain their worldviews on the /world or toxic guys trying to put others down?

I'm not against talking about politics (it's even my area of expertise), but I'm glad it's banned from public chat in any form. When I'm playing, I'd much rather see jokes related to the Warcraft universe, than be dragged back into a pub again and again with Average Joe smugly stating his crackpot opinions whilst other trolls try to make the debate volatile for fun. I don't need that here.

So yeah: 10 minute mute for that is OK imo.
I used to play eagerly here.

Gentlebenrawr

Post by Gentlebenrawr » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:23 pm

and a couple comments in this thread explain exactly why that subject is taboo.

Fizzler
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Fizzler » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:36 pm

GMs usually remind players to not bring real life drama, including covid, to the world chat since it detracts from gameplay. At least the punishment seems fair
Fizzler - Gnome Mage 60
Yenwat - High Elf Paladin 60
Fluidstrike - Human Rogue 60
Socratus - Night Elf Druid 60
Allie - Human Warrior 60

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:31 pm

The fact that you had to censor the word COVID to even get it past the chat filter should have been your first warning. That you chose to press on despite this tells me that you deserved it if for no other reason than being stupid. Something something Darwin Awards something.

Fkdamodlice

Post by Fkdamodlice » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:31 pm
The fact that you had to censor the word COVID to even get it past the chat filter should have been your first warning. That you chose to press on despite this tells me that you deserved it if for no other reason than being stupid. Something something Darwin Awards something.
You can practically feel the seething oozing through this guy's post. How DARE you make a joke about status quo tool used to supress the masses by the controller class. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:11 pm

That sure was a bunch of words that mean nothing. My point stands: If the word "cake" can't be typed into an online chat platform, and you have to try several variations to get it to go through as some mangled ASCII Frankenstein, it should occur to anyone with two working braincells that maybe, just maybe, the word is deliberately censored, and maybe, just maybe, continuing to try to push it through will have some sort of repercussion. I'm not going to raise a banner to whatever idiotic cause you think you champion.

It's like seeing a big red button covered with tempered glass and several locks, but without a "DO NOT PUSH" label. If you have to Wile E. Coyote your way to push the button, someone probably doesn't want you to push it. Congratulations on posting and earning the Honorary Mention for the Darwin Awards.

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Fkdamodlice wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm
You can practically feel the seething oozing through this guy's post. How DARE you make a joke about status quo tool used to supress the masses by the controller class. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.
You should take a break from 4chan, it's really not healthy for children's minds.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Illyane

Post by Illyane » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:27 pm

You don't have dangerous opinions or postures Fkdamodlice, I'm sorry but it's not the concern at all in fact. It's not because you represent something dangerous that we're happy that there are policies to mute you, it's basically because you're an aggressive moron as far as your comments are concerned, and because a lot of people have exactly the same kind of comments as you (arrogance, aggressiveness, heated and closed discussions, attacking the interlocutor in less than two messages), that it's only reasonable to ask you once, on one platform, on one server, to shut up and let other people focus on the game.

Hebheephep

Post by Hebheephep » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:42 pm

Illyane wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:27 pm
You don't have dangerous opinions or postures Fkdamodlice, I'm sorry but it's not the concern at all in fact. It's not because you represent something dangerous that we're happy that there are policies to mute you, it's basically because you're an aggressive moron as far as your comments are concerned, and because a lot of people have exactly the same kind of comments as you (arrogance, aggressiveness, heated and closed discussions, attacking the interlocutor in less than two messages), that it's only reasonable to ask you once, on one platform, on one server, to shut up and let other people focus on the game.
You just want EVERY space online to be a safe space just like reddit and every other big platform. You speak about arrogance and yet you feel ENTITLED to everyone censoring themselves and turning an mmo into a baby ball pit pen where nothing scawy can get mentioned.

You fail to understand that mmos functioned just fine without overacting to speech. During the golden age we used to get into flaming wars where we insulted each other and everything was fine.

Mind you that I played over 30 different mmos between 2007 and 2023 so I know what I am talking about.

Hebheephep

Post by Hebheephep » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:45 pm

Bellybutton wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:17 pm

You should take a break from 4chan, it's really not healthy for children's minds.
4chan? Another redditor spotted. 4chan has not been "edgy" or "controversial" in over 6 years. Most of us have moved on to darknet alternatives which you have never even heard of because you stay on the controlled internet where you get treated like a baby

Fkdamodlice

Post by Fkdamodlice » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Illyane wrote:
You morons swarm any space before there's even a discussion on anything dangerous. We're in the weak-limp-dick territory of danger and you people are already having heart attack.

That picture I posted above? That is you unironically.

Gentlebenrawr

Post by Gentlebenrawr » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:09 pm

^^^^
is that enough of an example why we don't discuss certain things in game?

Illyane

Post by Illyane » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:16 pm

Hebheephep wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:42 pm
Illyane wrote:
You just want EVERY space online to be a safe space just like reddit and every other big platform. You speak about arrogance and yet you feel ENTITLED to everyone censoring themselves and turning an mmo into a baby ball pit pen where nothing scawy can get mentioned.

You fail to understand that mmos functioned just fine without overacting to speech. During the golden age we used to get into flaming wars where we insulted each other and everything was fine.

Mind you that I played over 30 different mmos between 2007 and 2023 so I know what I am talking about.
My turn now.
Hear this from a different perspective than your comfortable american one: I don't care about safe spaces, this english-speaking concept doesn't even really exist where I live (except from people out of ideas). My work is related to politics and I read interesting opinions like yours every day for my job, whether I agree with them or not. I just don't feel like having 24 hour online discussions about the ongoing Kulturkampf in America while I try to chill. Basically, everytime anybody talk politics on /world, it's american politics or american vision about "X": This not interesting (for me).

Yeah, It was cool before because you had the chance to speak with people that came from the same place as you, or at least understood what you were talking about. Not only is this not the case here, meaning you're annoying people with conversations that have nothing to do with them, but the online population itself has changed: the way we interact has changed and your 16 years of experience should have hinted you that. Just look at the previous posts man, when are we going to be chill and talk in a good atmosphere when you have douchebags coming to accuse you of stuff you have no idea about (again: safe space, 100% American concept, the same goes for kids crying about freedom of speech -coming sometime from people that accepted the Patriot act, it's funny- and other masculinity contests that I honestly don't give a shit about).

Heck, if you want to talk politics, just create a canal about that (/join POL), how is it so hard to understand that some people just want to found useful ingame information and don't care about the rest ? Just create this fucking canal, you will see many people doing political reference by mistake on /world, invite them: Done, you have your community where you can happily talk about politics without making other tired.
Last edited by Illyane on Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Illyane

Post by Illyane » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm

Fkdamodlice wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:07 pm
Illyane wrote:
You morons swarm any space before there's even a discussion on anything dangerous. We're in the weak-limp-dick territory of danger and you people are already having heart attack.

That picture I posted above? That is you unironically.
Here, what a line. Your mom must often tell you that you are a smart boi :)

Illyane

Post by Illyane » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:41 pm

Yeah Fkdamodlice, totally that.
Tolerance for pedophilia, acceptation of fascism politics, brainwashed dogs and affraid of controversial topic: That's me. It can only be black or white, that's totally a sound approach of people o/

You talk about discussion, but you're mostly spitting on me. At which point you'll turn around and say, "Yeah, that was a really constructive discussion." I don't have to bother to respect you, since from the very start your messages were insulting (that's why I said "as far as your messages are concerned"), you literally decided to prove me right by incarnating the aggressive moron incapable of discussing or criticizing beyond accusing me of stuff and say that I'm trying to protect my ego. As far as I know, "Safe space" is ignoring you and running away. I think the fact that I take the time to tell you how useless your message is imo, can tell you that this is not really the case? In the end, it's more funny not to take you seriously.

Discussing politics and controversial topics with you is pointless. Nobody likes to talk with aggressive people even when they have the best opinion and knowledge. You know perfectly well that nothing is done or resolved online (and otherwise you would understand that you would have to mobilize and lead the political struggle outside -and learn social skills to communicate). We talk (and sensibilize) online. But who would just want to chat with a dummy who spends his time insulting you and then crying that you don't want to hear or be concerned by his opinion?

No, I'll tell you again: Not only does my context means that most of the political topics that are discussed don't concern me, but most of the political discussions are going to be hijacked by guys like you (who again: may have interesting or true opinions, but unable to respect the interlocutor). Not the best way to discuss, and even less to create a gaming community.

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:18 pm

I'm just trying to make some pun involving "culture war" and "turtle formation"...

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 pm

Hebheephep wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:45 pm
Bellybutton wrote:

4chan? Another redditor spotted. 4chan has not been "edgy" or "controversial" in over 6 years. Most of us have moved on to darknet alternatives which you have never even heard of because you stay on the controlled internet where you get treated like a baby
You act like it's difficult to download TOR mate; I have an entire notepad of imageboards and textboards from across the clearnet and darknet; I'm simply calling Fkdamodlic what he is; typing and acting like a teenager who had an "epiphany" after discovering /pol/ and made that his entire personality that he projects into online games and random forums and then acts like he's the one being oppressed when he's clearly breaking the written rules.
Last edited by Bellybutton on Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Fkdamodlice

Post by Fkdamodlice » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:25 pm

Illyane wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:41 pm
Yeah Fkdamodlice, totally that.
Tolerance for pedophilia, acceptation of fascism politics, brainwashed dogs and affraid of controversial topic: That's me. It can only be black or white, that's totally a sound approach of people o/
You're certainly a champion of nuance on the other hand......
Illyane wrote:
You talk about discussion, but you're mostly spitting on me. At which point you'll turn around and say, "Yeah, that was a really constructive discussion." I don't have to bother to respect you, since from the very start your message was insulting, you literally decided to prove me right by incarnating the aggressive moron incapable of discussing or criticizing beyond accusing me of stuff and say that I'm trying to protect my ego. As far as I know, "Safe space" is ignoring you and running away. I think the fact that I take the time to tell you how useless your message is imo, can tell you that this is not really the case?
«Spitting on me»
That’s what you get for coming in hot like a retard and outing yourself as disingenious status quo cuck who hides behind policies and platitudes. At least others left the benefit of doubt. You had none, hence you ain’t getting any respect. You never entered this discussion in good faith. I suggest you reread your first comment a few times, hopefully it'll become obvious.
Illyane wrote:
Discussing politics and controversial topics with you is pointless. Nobody likes to talk with aggressive people even when they have the best opinion and knowledge. You know perfectly well that nothing is done or resolved online (and otherwise you would understand that you would have to mobilize and lead the political struggle outside -and learn social skills to communicate). We talk (and sensibilize) online. But who would just want to chat with a shitbag who spends his time insulting you and then crying that you don't want to hear or be concerned by his opinion?
«discussing controverisl topics is pointless»
You ain’t discussing any of that. Don’t hide behind that argument. Anyone can tell that you’re here to enforce policy, not to discuss it. Get out of here with your goal post moving.
Illyane wrote:
No, I'll tell you again: Not only does my context means that most of the political topics that are discussed don't concern me, but most of the political discussions are going to be hijacked by guys like you (who again: may have interesting or true opinions, but unable to respect the interlocutor). Not the best way to discuss, and even less to create a gaming community.
«It doesn’t concern me»
Yet you entered this conversation like a triggered little tool. Sure buddy, sure.

Fkdamodlice

Post by Fkdamodlice » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:29 pm

Bellybutton wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 pm
Hebheephep wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:45 pm
Bellybutton wrote:

You act like it's difficult to download TOR mate; I have an entire notepad of imageboards and textboards from across the clearnet and darknet; I'm simply calling Fkdamodlic what he is; typing and acting like a teenager who had an "epiphany" after discovering /pol/ and made that his entire personality that he projects into online games and random forums and then acts like he's the one being oppressed when he's clearly breaking the written rules.
Whoa, watch out guys, here we have a TOR badass with an entire notepad of imageboards from darknet. Modern day intellectual dissident! Be careful though! God forbid you insult him in a triggering way, for that is when he will downgrade you to a teenager. Stop now I tell you, or sooner or later you'd be turned into a toddler.

Yeah dude, you bring nothing constructive so shitting on you is fair game.

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:33 pm

Your """"Free speech"""" doesn't matter on any private server or online space that has its own set of rules. "It's just a joke" is not a get-out-of-jail-free card for circumventing the rules.
It's as silly as going to an amusement park, yelling slurs at everybody, constantly trying to debate with park-goers about controversial world events and politics, and telling edgy or offensive jokes, but once you get told to leave and barred access from the park, you claim your freedoms are being restricted and constantly beg to be allowed back in while throwing insults at the people who tell you why you're not allowed back in.
Zamba the Unruly

Akalix
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Akalix » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 pm

Fkdamodlice wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:22 pm
Wanna know something interesting? Not once have the mods shut down perverted bordering on paedophilia speech you can see in chat. But the moment you mention flu, that's where they draw the line.
Feel free to provide any examples and/or report it, I would be happy to punish. Pedophiles have no place in our community and never will.

There is nothing further to discuss here. 10 minute mute for filter evasion is not unreasonable. We attempt to keep the game a fun place for all by removing topics like COVID from the Warcraft world. This is the place for escapist fun, not for political discourse.

Thread has been locked to prevent further devolution.
Public Relations / Community Manager / Head of Recruitment

Looking to join Turtle? Need media information? Contact me!