Can I level as prot warrior?

C0ldness

Can I level as prot warrior?

Post by C0ldness » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:03 pm

Hey guys! I've just found this server and planning on making it my new home! I've been reading a lot about the changes made on this server and I really like what they have done here! I'm leaning towards prot warrior as a main and I was wondering if I can also level as prot warrior? I love doing quest/grind mobs and some dungeons as well.

Mcnair

Re: Can I level as prot warrior?

Post by Mcnair » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:33 pm

Welcome!
Of course you can. And people will love you for it, there is always a shortage of tanks and healers, so these are always welcome in both questing and instancing groups. On a side note, you can tank any instance and elite group content as any spec as a warrior, you do not have to be prot for them. So play prot if you want to be prot, it will be great either way.
In general: WoW is out for ages already. Play the game as you like for the sake of liking it. You can level as whatever you wish, as long as you have fun doing it. Do not ever play a given class or play-style for the sake of it being 'meta' or 'fast', if you are not having fun what is the point of it?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:18 pm

I am going to do you a huge favor for your sanity: Do not level as a Prot Warrior.

Can you do it? Of course. You can also level without talent points, with all greys, or with one arm tied behind your back. Should you? Debatable.

Here's the dirty little secret about Warriors that I try to reveal to people as a lifetime Warrior player myself: Prior to raids, you do not need to be Prot in order to tank well. Warrior as a class has a kit that's built so fundamentally well for threat generation baseline that it's no wonder it is the de facto tank. A near infinite resource, a stance that mitigates damage and generates bonus threat just by existing, a wide variety of threat generation abilities.

It is so adept at tanking, in fact, that Protection does not facilitate it, it simply reinforces it. For good players, it's practically redundant, and for newer players, it is an unnecessary crutch. The problem with this crutch is that it is going to make your solo experience very painful. The amount of mitigation you get from the build does not offset the extra time you will spend per fight, resulting in you taking MORE damage than if you were, say, Arms, and more downtime while leveling and thus less efficiency.

I would recommend, personally, leveling as Arms (which itself has some good tanking-supplementing talents) and keeping your gear filled with Stamina, and having a good one-handed weapon and shield in your bags while you level so that you can tank. As for the actual means to tank well, there's a thread with some good information, including some of my own that I will edit into this post once I find it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4874

Bloodline1x9

Post by Bloodline1x9 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:40 pm

C0ldness wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:03 pm
Hey guys! I've just found this server and planning on making it my new home! I've been reading a lot about the changes made on this server and I really like what they have done here! I'm leaning towards prot warrior as a main and I was wondering if I can also level as prot warrior? I love doing quest/grind mobs and some dungeons as well.
Yes, you can. I'm prot lvling warrior. This is best spec to level warri if you wanna go dungeons.
1. It will be easy for you to find a group
2. You will have Shield Wall and Last Stand for a critical situation when you can die. It helps me. I play with a turtle glyph and for every death I lose experience. That is why it is important for me to have a save ability.
3. The Revenge stuns every 5 seconds and rage cheap
4. You will be a better tank than tanking Furies or Arms. Including threat generation.
5. You can easily pick up a two-handed or off-hand weapon and become dps with almost no damage drop because Flyrry and Sweeping strikes are late talents

C0ldness

Post by C0ldness » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:39 pm

I do understand that prot spec will be slower than arms but I really wanna try it :)
Do you guys think I should put some points in arms spec 1st to get the extra dmg on thundrclap (some good AoE dmg, possible bigger pulls) or just invest all early points in prot tree until I get all key talents?

Zhilo

Post by Zhilo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:01 pm

Having leveled a warrior to 60 on vanilla and to 52 in Turtle, I pretty much agree with Redmagejoe. I respecd to prot to level for a while around lvl 30 to test it myself because i was curious. And it was just painful. Taking 2 times as long to do quests as i was doing on arms was not fun at all. Lacking reflective damage outside of a 30 mins cooldown, there really is little point to being more survivable on 3+ mobs scenarios. And tanking in dungeons was never a factor. I tanked dungeons to get all the blues I wanted just fine as arms, so being prot never appealed to me for tanking, ironically enough.

By all means give it a go and experiment. The respec cap is pretty cheap on Turtle so its ok If you decide to try something different 20 levels later.

Kobemaru

Post by Kobemaru » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:12 pm

if you want to level as prot, do yourself a favor and start out with putting points into Arms first, then around 25 you can put some points into Prot for the +15% threat talent and defensive talents. All good defensive talents in the prot tree are early on, there's absolutely no point in going deep prot while leveling.
You will have the same threat generation and better this way, while being able to stance dance with Sweeping Strikes and swapping to a 2hander when the situation allows for it.

Bloodline1x9

Post by Bloodline1x9 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:47 am

C0ldness wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:39 pm
I do understand that prot spec will be slower than arms
All who says it's much longer doesn't take into account the time Arms or Fury spends regenerating health.
While I was playing as a warrior I very rarely ate or used a bandage (relative to them). Because I'm durable and revenge stuns.

But in general, leveling as a prot warrior it's not solo leveling, but dungeons. In fact, you always have somewhere to go, one by one dungeons are painted by level. It's not about trying to get to 60 as fast as possible.
You enjoy the game, сollecting blue things. You are not tied to a sword and shield. You can go into battle like a tank, and if you get tired of it, like a dps.

Dalijon

Post by Dalijon » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:33 pm

I'm leveling a warrior right now, and I have to agree that putting some points into arms first is a good idea. Now that we can thunderclap in defensive stance, you have two options until nearer 60: 1. Go deeper into arms and tank with a beefy 2h and sweeping strikes, even charge, ss, zerker stance and ww then back to defensive stance. 2. You get 5/5 deflection, 3/3 improved thunderclap, then the armor talent and improved shield block, then defiance and so on. My guess is that you can be successful either way!

Wilsonsds

Post by Wilsonsds » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:05 am

Hey, i leveled:
  • one full prot Nelf to 60 on 2004 with shield and knife
  • one arms orc warrior to 60 on 2006 (BC) with the highest 2 hander i could find.
  • another furry nelf to 60 on classic vanilla a few years back
  • and lastly a n HC warrior nelf to 60 in this server (full prot).
I know the deal.
  • Get cruelty and piercing howl.
  • Them go full prot.
  • +one hand damage
  • +chance on rage on hit
  • dual weapons in green mobs all the way.
  • for yellow mobs 2 handers
  • for tanking use shield, or for orange mobs.
  • Get spirit attribute.
  • Get the stopwatch trinket and never remove it.
  • Shit hits the fan, piercehown+stopwatch+run potions the hell of it.
enjoy the ride.
Schala (Priest - Holy)
Lusiena (Warrior - Prot)
Lyane (Rogue - Combat)
Fellem (Hunter - Marks)
Lustrazalux (Mage - Frost)
Gondwana (Warlock - Demo)
Esmeralden (Druid - Resto)
Aldebaran (Shaman - Ele)
Almandinite (Pally - Prot)

Xronisf79

Post by Xronisf79 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am

Yes you can. You can also level a melee hunter and just hit them with the melee weapon. Or a melee mage. And hit them with the staff on the head. Because you CAN it does not mean you SHOULD. As a prot lvling you will :
-Never have rage
-not do any damage
-die more often due to not doing damage
-take ages to lvl

You can still tank as fury to everything. Even in end game you wont be full prot. You ll be full fury and 3-4 prot talents.

In general prot warr tank is shit in turtle because druids and paladins got super buffed. More fun to play a pala tank than a rage starved warrior. If you want to play warr tank, then play in WotLK.. there its fun. Not here.

Akos1896

Post by Akos1896 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:21 pm

You can but it's slow. I did it by spamming dungeons. Also, early lvl 50s will be a hard spot. Maraudon and ZF stops giving meaningful XP and tanking Hateforge and ST is hard then, specially with the lvl 60s coming there. Prepare for not having threat around lvl 50-54

Syrathegreat

Post by Syrathegreat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 am

I'd just like to add here that contrary to later-wow logic, Prot isn't actually a good tank while levelling in Classic compared to the other specs.

In levelling dungeons you tend to get enough mitigation just from your armor and standard abilities that your gameplay actually revolves more about threat. This means that the extra mit from prot is kinda redundant and actually a detriment as you're therefore missing out on the damage and rage stuff from the other trees.

In actuality Arms becomes the best levelling tank spec due to talents like tactical mastery and improved thunderclap (your best aoe threat generator here), not to mention the ability to 2H tank with sweeping strikes (and a healer willing to put up with your bullshit :P)

That being said, Prot is perfectly serviceable as a levelling spec and is decent early raiding when you're undergeared. It's even arguably the best high level vagrant spec if you're not rich. So just have fun <3
Juniper <Gnomish Cosmonaut Corps> - Hunter | Gnome | 54 | War Mode | S&S
Kyra - Warrior | Night Elf | 25 | HC | S&S | Lorekeeper
Kolgra - Warrior | Orc | 31 | War Mode | S&S
Merry - Paladin | Dwarf | 29 | HC

Kobiq

Post by Kobiq » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 am

I am leveling an alliance holy priest, if you wish to team up.