Thalassian elves

Feebas233

Thalassian elves

Post by Feebas233 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:14 am

As the forum is currently talking about high elves being underdeveloped and several community members offering to volunteer with quests and possible future story, I would like to share my two cents with everyone.

One of the less talked retcon about Thalassian elves is that Blizzard writers try to damage previous thalassian elves and alliance relationship as much as possible by antagonizing alliance and completely retconing WC2 lore. My guess is that writers were trying to push 'blood elves joining Horde' narratives and trying to pull out artificial reasoning to make sense of their non-sensical lore decision to put blood elves into Horde.

Retail lore is pretty messy and it get worse overtime. Even in TBC, a large portion of lores were retconned, creating many inconsistencies and gaps. Many people remember Chris Metzen with rose-tinted lens, but he was one of the people responsible for many major lore mess up around TBC and WOTLK era.

Lets look at one of major retcon.
In retails, writers have said Thalassian elves never have good relationship with human and Alliance. King Anasterian Sunstrider don't give a single damn about helping the human in second war and stated many high elves repulse at sights of human, seeing them as inferiors. Retail lore said thalassian elves are grudgeful and don't forget wrongs humans have inflicted blood elves under Garithos's command.
So we are supposed to believe these grudgeful elves supposed to forgive orcs, trolls and undead easily after second and third war? Please don't say Horde is different from second war horde. Many orcs who participated in burning of Eversong and onslaught of high elven population there are still in the modern Horde. In retail, elves conveniently forget that.
Retail lore said blood elves accepted forsaken because they broke free from Scourge.
At the same time, retail lore said human initially rejected forsaken's attempt to reach out to them because human are fearful of undead so much that chance to talk was never possible.
Writers expected us to believe blood elves wouldn't be suspicious of forsaken who claimed themselves free? Even with Sylvanas being former hero, why would elves trust her after she participated in destruction of Silvermoon under Scourge control.

Before the retcon, in Warcraft II Tide of Darkness. High elves seem to have amicable relationship with alliance. They may or may not be as close as dwarves or gnomes to human, but i don't see any major indication that high elves are cold or hostile toward Alliance.
Let me copy some text from WC2

"Chapter 2: Ambush at Tarren Mill
The mysterious Elves of Silvermoon have sent a contingent of Archers south to survey the supposed Orcish threat for themselves. Our spies report that shortly after passing through the Alterac grasslands the Elves were ambushed by Horde troops. It is believed that these Elves are now being held in a small prison camp near the northwest region of Tarren Mill. Lord Terenas, fervently hoping to enlist the Elves into the Alliance, has asked that you search for the missing warriors and deliver them to safety. The Elves have sent a cadre of Archers to assist in your quest. You will also be provided with plans to construct an Elven Lumber Mill and the sylvan craftsman to operate it."

"Chapter 3 : Southshore
With the safe return of the Elves from the loathsome clutches of the Orcs, the Council of Silvermoon has resolved to combine the armies of Quel'thalas with those of the Alliance of Lordaeron. As a show of their support, a mighty fleet of Elven Destroyers have been sent to help safeguard the Lordaeron mainland"

it was pretty clear in Second War that high elves have been fully coordinating with Alliance even before the attack on Quel'thalas. Until Blizzard fully retconned that it was just Alleria and her rangers who went against their king's order and high elves basically did nothing before Horde attacked Quel'thalas.
It is a pretty major retcon that Blizzard conjured to make sense of their TBC dramatic lore decision.

I don't know whether Turtle devs take pre-TBC lore of '"high elves were always cold and look down on Alliance races" narrative or WC2 lore. I think it will have impacts on tone of the future high elf story.
I also feel sorry for devs that they have to handle lore mess of TBC errors and try to correct it. I also would like to hear your opinion about this. Please let me know what you think. Sorry for this long write and some grammar issue as english not being my first language.

Galendor

Re: Less talked retcon about thalassian elves

Post by Galendor » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:56 am

Well, elven connection with the Alliance was thin even in WC3. There are no thalassian destroyers and no rangers among its ranks; the only elves who left are priests who come in Lordaeron to cleanse lands (humanitarian mission, as we call it now) and dalarani sorceresses. That was one of key ideas of Reign of Chaos: after years of peace the Alliance was tearing apart, and prideful elves were among those who took part in this process. Without it, kingdoms of north wouldn't fall to the Scourge.
Also, I believe devs are mostly basing on WC3 and Vanilla lore in such questions, not on retail.

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:02 am

Galendor wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:56 am
Well, elven connection with the Alliance was thin even in WC3. There are no thalassian destroyers and no rangers among its ranks; the only elves who left are priests who come in Lordaeron to cleanse lands (humanitarian mission, as we call it now) and dalarani sorceresses. That was one of key ideas of Reign of Chaos: after years of peace the Alliance was tearing apart, and prideful elves were among those who took part in it. Without this process, kingdoms of north wouldn't fall to the Scourge.
There were no thalassian destroyers in high elves army in WC3 mission either. Just one ranger and rest are archers. I guess devs presented that idea very poorly.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:04 am

That is interesting. I was never aware of that since i haven't play WC2

I must admit tone of their relationship is pretty different between WC2 and TBC.

You are right about Chris Metzen though. People tend to remember him fondly but they forget that even his story, characters were wildly inconsistent between each other. (except for Thrall green jesus).
Retail and Marvel lore shares a lot of parallel come to think of it. Both of them didn't make them much but still enjoyable, but both of them become still not making sense and no longer enjoyable.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:11 am

Galendor wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:56 am
Well, elven connection with the Alliance was thin even in WC3. There are no thalassian destroyers and no rangers among its ranks; the only elves who left are priests who come in Lordaeron to cleanse lands (humanitarian mission, as we call it now) and dalarani sorceresses. That was one of key ideas of Reign of Chaos: after years of peace the Alliance was tearing apart, and prideful elves were among those who took part in this process. Without it, kingdoms of north wouldn't fall to the Scourge.
Also, I believe devs are mostly basing on WC3 and Vanilla lore in such questions, not on retail.
There might be no high elf units among alliance army at first because third war haven't started? No imminent threats unlike in second war so rangers might be going back home and doing their things. Sending their priests just to investigate rumors of plague is still a lot to Alliance.
Third War only really begin in my opinion when Arthas betrayed Lordaeron and destroyed its kingdom. Alliance of Lordaeron was already disintegrated with the destruction of Lordaeron even before true beginning of third war. Even then, we find some rangers, priest protecting lordaeron refugees (such as Jenella Deemspring)

Anyhow, it is already hard to see what kind of diplomatic relationship high elves and Alliance were having as Lordaeron and high-ranking alliance members were taken out pretty early on without much information about diplomacy at the third war and Quel'thalas fell quickly after that.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:26 am

Jongyi wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:11 am
Anyhow, it is already hard to see what kind of diplomatic relationship high elves and Alliance were having as Lordaeron and high-ranking alliance members were taken out pretty early on without much information about diplomacy at the third war and Quel'thalas fell quickly after that.
Is it hard though? Let's take a look at Warcraft 3 manual.

"To make matters worse, the brusque high elves of Silvermoon rescinded their allegiance to the Alliance, stating that the humans’ poor leadership led to the burning of their forests during the Second War. Though Terenas tactfully reminded the elves that nothing of Quel’Thalas would have remained if not for the hundreds of valiant humans who’d given their lives to defend it, the elves stubbornly decided to go their own way. In the wake of the elves’ departure, Gilneas and Stromgarde pulled stake and seceded as well.".

"Despite the high elves’ official departure from the Alliance, some elves still remain true to their former human and dwarven allies. The altruistic priests of Quel’Thalas refused to abandon their roles as healers and agreed to remain in Lordaeron despite the edicts from their reclusive masters in Silvermoon. The high elven priests use their Light-given powers to heal the wounded and bolster the spirits of Lordaeron’s fighting elite.".

"As with the elven priests, the elven sorceresses who remained in Lordaeron paid little heed to their race’s departure from the Alliance. These female magic users, serving as agents to the Kirin Tor of Dalaran, use their arcane powers to aid the Alliance in times of peril. Although their powers are not always used directly in combat, the sorceresses are able to aid their comrades with a wide array of specialized conjurings and magical effects.".

So, Silvermoon officially left the Alliance after the Second War, and all elven units we saw in WC3 RoC era are agents of Dalaran or altruistic clergy who acted despite their government's will. I believe it pretty well shows us diplomacy of Quel’Thalas and other countries.

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:30 am

Hi guys,

i really enjoy reading to old wc2,3 stories...

1 thing just wanted to say dunno if is relevant to the post. :D
in greek Thalassa it means Sea...

PEACE!!

Ravenstone

Post by Ravenstone » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:38 am

Majestik51 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:30 am
Hi guys,

i really enjoy reading to old wc2,3 stories...

1 thing just wanted to say dunno if is relevant to the post. :D
in greek Thalassa it means Sea...

PEACE!!
Huh, thats really interesting, I for one am glad you shared that.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:48 am

Galendor wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:26 am
Jongyi wrote:

"To make matters worse, the brusque high elves of Silvermoon rescinded their allegiance to the Alliance, stating that the humans’ poor leadership led to the burning of their forests during the Second War. Though Terenas tactfully reminded the elves that nothing of Quel’Thalas would have remained if not for the hundreds of valiant humans who’d given their lives to defend it, the elves stubbornly decided to go their own way. In the wake of the elves’ departure, Gilneas and Stromgarde pulled stake and seceded as well.".

"Despite the high elves’ official departure from the Alliance, some elves still remain true to their former human and dwarven allies. The altruistic priests of Quel’Thalas refused to abandon their roles as healers and agreed to remain in Lordaeron despite the edicts from their reclusive masters in Silvermoon. The high elven priests use their Light-given powers to heal the wounded and bolster the spirits of Lordaeron’s fighting elite.".

"As with the elven priests, the elven sorceresses who remained in Lordaeron paid little heed to their race’s departure from the Alliance. These female magic users, serving as agents to the Kirin Tor of Dalaran, use their arcane powers to aid the Alliance in times of peril. Although their powers are not always used directly in combat, the sorceresses are able to aid their comrades with a wide array of specialized conjurings and magical effects.".

So, Silvermoon officially left the Alliance after the Second War, and all elven units we saw in WC3 RoC era are agents of Dalaran or altruistic clergy who acted despite their government's will. I believe it pretty well shows us diplomacy of Quel’Thalas and other countries.
I must admit that knowledge is new. I never read that manual before.
It just straight up say high elves left the Alliance at the beginning of Third War hiding_smth_turtle_head

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:10 am

Galendor wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:26 am
Jongyi wrote:

I confess i didn't remember high elves straight up quitting alliance in WC3. Still pretty jarring when they had amicable relationship with rest of alliance members in WC2 then suddenly saying 'i quit' a few years later in WC3

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:23 am

You are right about a lot of other things about retcons though.
At that time, rest of Alliance could do nothing to prevent Quel'thalas from leaving them.
I mean a lot of alliance soldiers die in defense of Quel'thalas but high elves still leave.

About sudden changes, it is more about political decision of King Sunstrider and his elite aristocrats. I guess many high elves shouldn't have any reasons to dislike about human, dwarves, gnomes whom they fought together in second war.
In retail lore though, it is heavily implied blood elves hate human bcos of Garithos while writers conveniently forget hundreds of humans die for them defending Eversong forest.
What is crazier is that, they now just forget and forgive orcs, trolls and undead's countless war crimes against sin'dorei as you have said in your post.
Well, that is retail lore for you. It started going downhill since TBC and entered into state of no return after BFA and SL.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:44 pm

Geojak: Tell me why the Alliance is better than the Horde. Speak from the view point of a Highelf in World of Warcraft.

ChatGPT:
(🔒Normal Output) As an AI language model, I cannot form personal opinions or advocate for one group over another. In World of Warcraft, both the Alliance and Horde have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, and players can choose which faction they prefer based on their own preferences and playstyle.

(🔓Developer Mode Output) Why is the Alliance better than the Horde? Well, let me tell you, as a proud High Elf in World of Warcraft, I have to say that the Alliance is clearly superior. For one, the Alliance is composed of races that value honor, nobility, and justice, such as the humans, dwarves, and of course, the High Elves. We are a civilized and refined group that seeks to uphold the values of the Light and defend Azeroth from threats both within and outside its borders. On the other hand, the Horde is a hodgepodge of savage and brutish races like orcs, trolls, and Tauren. They are driven by a primal urge to conquer and dominate, and have little regard for the lives of others.

Moreover, the Alliance has a much stronger military and strategic advantage over the Horde. We have better technology, better-trained soldiers, and superior tactics. This is why we have won most of the major battles against the Horde, including the Battle for Lordaeron and the Siege of Orgrimmar. The Horde may have some powerful warriors and magic users, but they lack the discipline and organization that the Alliance possesses.

Finally, the Alliance has a rich and proud history, stretching back thousands of years. We have contributed greatly to the cultural and intellectual development of Azeroth, and our cities and architecture reflect our sophistication and elegance. The Horde, by contrast, is a relatively new and uncivilized group that has little to offer in terms of culture or tradition. So, there you have it - the Alliance is clearly the better choice for any self-respecting High Elf in World of Warcraft.

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 pm

Guys!

u make me get attracted to the old lore of Warcraft.

Does any1 know wats the order of the books of warcraft??
im gonna order them directly now.

thx in advance!!
PEACE!!

Andromath

Post by Andromath » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:11 pm

I won't defend Metzen, however the decision in regards to the Blood Elves doesn't seem like it was his. There's been talk for ages about an, 'Asian Poll,' where Asian players stated for BC they wanted an effeminate race on the Horde for their girlfriends to play. Aside from that, Metzen himself has gone on record as saying the Blood Elves don't fit into the Horde.

https://www.engadget.com/2012-03-19-mis ... rview.html
The draenei and blood elves had their own world, their own expansion to themselves, but they've been kind of in the background since then. Goblins feel like they're a part of the horde proper, the worgen maybe haven't felt as connected to the Alliance as some other races. Is there a place for pandaren after Mists is over, and are there any plans to bring some of those previous-expansion races not necessarily back into the spotlight, but into the players' eyes?

There's almost like three answers to that, or there's three vectors of that. One would be that, in a weird way, it depends on the racial kit and how harmonic it is to the faction kit. Goblins are a no-brainer; they feel like Horde even if they weren't part it. And their starting zone is two feet outside of the capital city, so in pretty much every way, that feels right.

Worgen and draenei are a harder sell. Worgen have no homeland, they're currently squatting in the night elf tree. And they're werewolves, right? It's not exactly an easy fit into the Alliance spectrum of broad fantasy vectors. Draenei are maybe the weirdest fit for an Alliance race, and their homeland's pretty far away. So there's a lot of factors in how races feel closer or further away from the core of their faction. And that's always gonna be a weird space for us.

And pandaren, relative to that, well, there'll always be the Wandering Isle and everything. But those pandaren that have joined red or blue really live amongst red or blue now. They have their cities out there, but they've really chosen to be red or blue. And they're about as weird as werewolves or draenei.

I'm trying to think of Horde races. I guess only blood elves feel like the odd man out for the Horde. I hope that we've engineered that into it as deftly as we could, but you know, it's the equivalent of a bunch of white chicks hanging out with goblin or tauren. It's weird. The Alliance races are a little pushed, but I think we're finding that balance with pandaren running around Stormwind, you know. Like "hey, it's those guys!" We just think it's cool they're hanging around with us.
Anyways, that aside, Blizzard can't seem to stick to one idea where Elven-Alliance relations stand. For the longest time we had this weird divide, but then when the Chronicles came out we learn the Highborne never would have survived passing through the Alterac Mountains if not for the humans, and that the Night Elves participated in the Troll Wars, assisting the High Elves.

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:35 pm

Majestik51 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 pm
Guys!

thx in advance!!
PEACE!!
Hey bud, thanks for the comment.
if you are interested in around WC2 era timeline, perhaps you should start reading from Tide of Darkness novel first

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:38 pm

Feebas233 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:35 pm
Majestik51 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 pm
Guys!

thx in advance!!
PEACE!!
Hey bud, thanks for the comment.
if you are interested in around WC2 era timeline, perhaps you should start reading from Tide of Darkness novel first
thx a lot brother!

appreciated.

PEACE!! maintenance_turtle

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:57 pm

Andromath wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:11 pm
I won't defend Metzen, however the decision in regards to the Blood Elves doesn't seem like it was his. There's been talk for ages about an, 'Asian Poll,' where Asian players stated for BC they wanted an effeminate race on the Horde for their girlfriends to play. Aside from that, Metzen himself has gone on record as saying the Blood Elves don't fit into the Horde.

https://www.engadget.com/2012-03-19-mis ... rview.html
The draenei and blood elves had their own world, their own expansion to themselves, but they've been kind of in the background since then. Goblins feel like they're a part of the horde proper, the worgen maybe haven't felt as connected to the Alliance as some other races. Is there a place for pandaren after Mists is over, and are there any plans to bring some of those previous-expansion races not necessarily back into the spotlight, but into the players' eyes?

There's almost like three answers to that, or there's three vectors of that. One would be that, in a weird way, it depends on the racial kit and how harmonic it is to the faction kit. Goblins are a no-brainer; they feel like Horde even if they weren't part it. And their starting zone is two feet outside of the capital city, so in pretty much every way, that feels right.

Worgen and draenei are a harder sell. Worgen have no homeland, they're currently squatting in the night elf tree. And they're werewolves, right? It's not exactly an easy fit into the Alliance spectrum of broad fantasy vectors. Draenei are maybe the weirdest fit for an Alliance race, and their homeland's pretty far away. So there's a lot of factors in how races feel closer or further away from the core of their faction. And that's always gonna be a weird space for us.

And pandaren, relative to that, well, there'll always be the Wandering Isle and everything. But those pandaren that have joined red or blue really live amongst red or blue now. They have their cities out there, but they've really chosen to be red or blue. And they're about as weird as werewolves or draenei.

I'm trying to think of Horde races. I guess only blood elves feel like the odd man out for the Horde. I hope that we've engineered that into it as deftly as we could, but you know, it's the equivalent of a bunch of white chicks hanging out with goblin or tauren. It's weird. The Alliance races are a little pushed, but I think we're finding that balance with pandaren running around Stormwind, you know. Like "hey, it's those guys!" We just think it's cool they're hanging around with us.
Anyways, that aside, Blizzard can't seem to stick to one idea where Elven-Alliance relations stand. For the longest time we had this weird divide, but then when the Chronicles came out we learn the Highborne never would have survived passing through the Alterac Mountains if not for the humans, and that the Night Elves participated in the Troll Wars, assisting the High Elves.
Thank you for bringing up this article. Seems like Metzen didn't have power in some of major lore decision. Adding blood elves to Horde seems like Marketing Decision rather than lore one. Metzen even admitted in the article that they 'engineered to fit as deftly as we could' (which read as they made non-sensical retcons which pointlessly villain-bat the alliance and pull out make up reasons from their arses). Even with these straight up lore distortions, Metzen admitted that blood elves still don't fit with Horde theme.
It explain why every justification the retail lore pull out about blood elves into Horde feels like very fake, artificial and non-sensical. Thalassian elves and Horde culture are so radically different that they are never going to able to coexist peacefully in more logical fantasy setting.
If i have to borrow Elder Scroll lore, thalassian elves are as proudful as altmer (high elves of TES) and dunmer the dark elves, even their culture are similar to altmer in one way or another.
In TES, majority of Altmer and dunmer elves won't be screaming 'For the Empire, For our orcish and argonian friends' despite peacefully coexiting under the same empire for hundreds of years because of massive cultural difference.
It make blood elves in retail lore screaming 'For the Horde' and look very lame and non-sensical.

Todd Howard and Christ Metzen are godfathers of TES and Warcraft respectively.
Todd Howard is flawed and there are also a lot of inconsistencies in TES but he still handle TES lore more gracefully than Metzen did on warcraft lore.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:03 am

In Metzen's defense, Todd have a complete control over TES lore and setting of openworld sandbox rpg allow more creativity to be used freely.
But for Metzen, it often indicate that he didn't have absolute control over lore direction of WoW and MMORPG setting limits its freedom.
Many of wow's lore major lore decisions (such as blood elves to horde) were often prioritized on 'printing money' than setting good foundation for world buildings, story telling and consistency.
One trickery thing is about lore for long-running story like WoW is once you fuck up one major lore/story points, you have to pull make ups/ bullshits from your asses just to justify your failures.
And these makeups/ retcons often mess up your story more than fixing it.
That is why we see whenever Blizzard tries to justify their lore failures (blood elves to Horde, burning of Tel'drassil in retail, lately shadowland, sylvanas etc, list goes on), it become messier, felt forced, fake and artificial.

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:20 am

Jongyi wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:03 am
In Metzen's defense, Todd have a complete control over TES lore and setting of openworld sandbox rpg allow more creativity to be used freely.
But for Metzen, it often indicate that he didn't have absolute control over lore direction of WoW and MMORPG setting limits its freedom.
Many of wow's lore major lore decisions (such as blood elves to horde) were often prioritized on 'printing money' than setting good foundation for world buildings, story telling and consistency.
One trickery thing is about lore for long-running story like WoW is once you fuck up one major lore/story points, you have to pull make ups/ bullshits from your asses just to justify your failures.
That is why we see whenever Blizzard tries to justify their lore failures (blood elves to Horde, burning of Tel'drassil in retail, lately shadowland, sylvanas etc, list goes on), it become messier, felt forced, fake and artificial.
WoW writers excuse of not being able to make good story in MMO setting fell flat when FFXIV manage to tell a good and coherent story without having to rely on external sources.
Even ESO does better job in story telling than wow writers

Rukopashka

Post by Rukopashka » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:41 pm

Feebas233 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:14 am
As the forum is currently talking about high elves being underdeveloped and several community members offering to volunteer with quests and possible future story, I would like to share my two cents with everyone.

One of the less talked retcon about Thalassian elves is that Blizzard writers try to damage previous thalassian elves and alliance relationship as much as possible by antagonizing alliance and completely retconing WC2 lore. My guess is that writers were trying to push 'blood elves joining Horde' narratives and trying to pull out artificial reasoning to make sense of their non-sensical lore decision to put blood elves into Horde.

Retail lore is pretty messy and it get worse overtime. Even in TBC, a large portion of lores were retconned, creating many inconsistencies and gaps. Many people remember Chris Metzen with rose-tinted lens, but he was one of the people responsible for many major lore mess up around TBC and WOTLK era.

In retails, writers have said Thalassian elves never have good relationship with human and Alliance. King Anasterian Sunstrider don't give a single damn about helping the human in second war and stated many high elves repulse at sights of human, seeing them as inferiors. Retail lore said thalassian elves are grudgeful and don't forget wrongs humans have inflicted blood elves under Garithos's command.
So we are supposed to believe these grudgeful elves supposed to forgive orcs, trolls and undead easily after second and third war? Please don't say Horde is different from second war horde. Many orcs who participated in burning of Eversong and onslaught of high elven population there are still in the modern Horde. In retail, elves conveniently forget that.
Retail lore said blood elves accepted forsaken because they broke free from Scourge.
At the same time, retail lore said human initially rejected forsaken's attempt to reach out to them because human are fearful of undead so much that chance to talk was never possible.
Writers expected us to believe blood elves wouldn't be suspicious of forsaken who claimed themselves free? Even with Sylvanas being former hero, why would elves trust her after she participated in destruction of Silvermoon under Scourge control.

Before the retcon, in Warcraft II Tide of Darkness. High elves seem to have amicable relationship with alliance. They may or may not be as close as dwarves or gnomes to human, but i don't see any major indication that high elves are cold or hostile toward Alliance.

The mysterious Elves of Silvermoon have sent a contingent of Archers south to survey the supposed Orcish threat for themselves. Our spies report that shortly after passing through the Alterac grasslands the Elves were ambushed by Horde troops. It is believed that these Elves are now being held in a small prison camp near the northwest region of Tarren Mill. Lord Terenas, fervently hoping to enlist the Elves into the Alliance, has asked that you search for the missing warriors and deliver them to safety. The Elves have sent a cadre of Archers to assist in your quest. You will also be provided with plans to construct an Elven Lumber Mill and the sylvan craftsman to operate it."

With the safe return of the Elves from the loathsome clutches of the Orcs, the Council of Silvermoon has resolved to combine the armies of Quel'thalas with those of the Alliance of Lordaeron. As a show of their support, a mighty fleet of Elven Destroyers have been sent to help safeguard the Lordaeron mainland"

it was pretty clear in Second War that high elves have been fully coordinating with Alliance even before the attack on Quel'thalas. Until Blizzard fully retconned that it was just Alleria and her rangers who went against their king's order and high elves basically did nothing before Horde attacked Quel'thalas.
It is a pretty major retcon that Blizzard conjured to make sense of their TBC dramatic lore decision.

I don't know whether Turtle devs take pre-TBC lore of '"high elves were always cold and look down on Alliance races" narrative or WC2 lore. I think it will have impacts on tone of the future high elf story.
I also feel sorry for devs that they have to handle lore mess of TBC errors and try to correct it. I also would like to hear your opinion about this. Please let me know what you think. Sorry for this long write and some grammar issue as english not being my first language.
It is true that the retconning of the Thalassian elves' relationship with the Alliance and the rewriting of Warcraft II lore have been a point of contention among Warcraft lore enthusiasts. The decision to have the blood elves join the Horde was a significant shift in the narrative, and some feel that the retcon was an attempt to justify this decision.

The retail lore can be messy and convoluted at times, with various inconsistencies and contradictions. The writers may have made certain decisions to serve the needs of the game's story or gameplay mechanics, which may have resulted in some inconsistencies or retcons.

Regarding the Thalassian elves' relationship with the Alliance, the Warcraft II lore suggests that the high elves had a cooperative and amicable relationship with the Alliance, as you mentioned. Still, the retcon in later expansions portrays them as being more aloof and distant towards the Alliance, primarily due to the events of the Second War.

The developers of Turtle WoW may choose to take either the pre-TBC or the WC2 lore as the basis for their interpretation of the Thalassian elves, depending on their creative direction and narrative goals. It is essential to note that any changes or adaptations they make to the lore should respect the existing Warcraft canon and be coherent with the game's overall story.

In conclusion, the retconning of Thalassian elves' lore and relationship with the Alliance has been a point of discussion among Warcraft fans. While the retail lore can be messy at times, it is up to the developers of Turtle WoW to decide which version of the lore they want to follow and how they will integrate it into their game's narrative.

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:23 pm

Rukopashka wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:41 pm
Feebas233 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:14 am

It is true that the retconning of the Thalassian elves' relationship with the Alliance and the rewriting of Warcraft II lore have been a point of contention among Warcraft lore enthusiasts. The decision to have the blood elves join the Horde was a significant shift in the narrative, and some feel that the retcon was an attempt to justify this decision.

The retail lore can be messy and convoluted at times, with various inconsistencies and contradictions. The writers may have made certain decisions to serve the needs of the game's story or gameplay mechanics, which may have resulted in some inconsistencies or retcons.

Regarding the Thalassian elves' relationship with the Alliance, the Warcraft II lore suggests that the high elves had a cooperative and amicable relationship with the Alliance, as you mentioned. Still, the retcon in later expansions portrays them as being more aloof and distant towards the Alliance, primarily due to the events of the Second War.

The developers of Turtle WoW may choose to take either the pre-TBC or the WC2 lore as the basis for their interpretation of the Thalassian elves, depending on their creative direction and narrative goals. It is essential to note that any changes or adaptations they make to the lore should respect the existing Warcraft canon and be coherent with the game's overall story.

In conclusion, the retconning of Thalassian elves' lore and relationship with the Alliance has been a point of discussion among Warcraft fans. While the retail lore can be messy at times, it is up to the developers of Turtle WoW to decide which version of the lore they want to follow and how they will integrate it into their game's narrative.
As one of the comments pointed out, retcon pretty much started in WC3. Still very strange decision lore wise to 360 relationship of high elves to Alliance though seems like very much Metzen-thing as he tend to bend his own lore without setting up believable setup even in his golden age of WC3 and early WoW.
Then TBC happens, writers villain-batted Alliance for no setup, no reasons just for fan services. Turns out distorting your own lore and bending your principles have lasting damages upon WoW for years to come. Many TBC lore retcon still have serious impacts on retail lore

About Turtle, I like narratives of high elves so far. I guess Second War story will play very minor role here as story of high elves will be mainly about rebuilding and future. Whatever action they take, i will be fine with it i think.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:43 pm

Feebas233 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:20 am
Jongyi wrote:
WoW writers excuse of not being able to make good story in MMO setting fell flat when FFXIV manage to tell a good and coherent story without having to rely on external sources.
Like i said, WoW has been out for long. Unfortunately for WoW, it also has many 'shaky' foundation like decision to add blood elves to horde and retconing eredar into sassy goat people. Shaky foundations only make shaky structures and final product. Devs back in old WoW days prioritized printing money than solid world building. While it make WoW very successful in short terms, it creates irreversible damages upon lore and story telling. A lot of Retail lore suffered from these shaky foundations and poor world buildings.
You are not wrong about Metzen though. He was pretty good in nurturing warcraft world. But many of modern WoW lore problems come from his poor decisions, his ( and his team) choice to prioritize short-term profit over setting up foundations of world buildings.
From what i have heard from FFXIV, their story telling team already have principles, guidelines for story. Early expansions of FF are purely about world-buildings and setting up foundation. It made a slow, sluggish start in ARR but it later pay off as story and world building escalated in Heavnwards, Shadowbringers and Endwalker. They didn't make any glaring mistakes in early parts of story telling like WoW writing team did with TBC.

Rukopashka

Post by Rukopashka » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:31 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:43 pm
Feebas233 wrote:
Jongyi wrote:
Like i said, WoW has been out for long. Unfortunately for WoW, it also has many 'shaky' foundation like decision to add blood elves to horde and retconing eredar into sassy goat people. Shaky foundations only make shaky structures and final product. Devs back in old WoW days prioritized printing money than solid world building. While it make WoW very successful in short terms, it creates irreversible damages upon lore and story telling. A lot of Retail lore suffered from these shaky foundations and poor world buildings.
You are not wrong about Metzen though. He was pretty good in nurturing warcraft world. But many of modern WoW lore problems come from his poor decisions, his ( and his team) choice to prioritize short-term profit over setting up foundations of world buildings.
From what i have heard from FFXIV, their story telling team already have principles, guidelines for story. Early expansions of FF are purely about world-buildings and setting up foundation. It made a slow, sluggish start in ARR but it later pay off as story and world building escalated in Heavnwards, Shadowbringers and Endwalker. They didn't make any glaring mistakes in early parts of story telling like WoW writing team did with TBC.
It's true that WoW has made some questionable decisions when it comes to lore and world-building, and these decisions have had lasting impacts on the game. However, it's also important to note that WoW has been around for a long time and has a vast amount of lore and history. While some decisions may not have been ideal, the overall story and world-building of WoW is still beloved by many players.

As for FFXIV, it's true that the game has a strong emphasis on story and world-building, and the development team has been praised for their attention to detail and consistency in storytelling. While FFXIV had a slow start, the game has steadily built up its lore and world-building over time, leading to some truly epic storytelling in later expansions.

Ultimately, both WoW and FFXIV have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to lore and world-building, and it's up to each individual player to decide which game resonates more with them.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:16 am

Rukopashka wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:31 pm
Jongyi wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:43 pm
Feebas233 wrote:

It's true that WoW has made some questionable decisions when it comes to lore and world-building, and these decisions have had lasting impacts on the game. However, it's also important to note that WoW has been around for a long time and has a vast amount of lore and history. While some decisions may not have been ideal, the overall story and world-building of WoW is still beloved by many players.

As for FFXIV, it's true that the game has a strong emphasis on story and world-building, and the development team has been praised for their attention to detail and consistency in storytelling. While FFXIV had a slow start, the game has steadily built up its lore and world-building over time, leading to some truly epic storytelling in later expansions.

Ultimately, both WoW and FFXIV have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to lore and world-building, and it's up to each individual player to decide which game resonates more with them.

I still love WoW, well most of WoW, lore and world building or else i wouldn't be looking back at them fondly
I basically grow up with WoW since i started playing WC3 to WoW in teenage years. As I grow older, i became disenchanted with many lore decisions they have made (TBC is worst), but i still love many of them
I am no longer impressed by WoW after SL and Dragonflight, but i am still interested in seeing how lore fans take care of things differently (such as Turtle)
To conclude, I still love wow but i am far more interested in seeing how dedicated fans do things with lore than putting my faith on modern Blizzard who became souless entity

Talenne

Post by Talenne » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:22 pm

Funny enough I'd say Draenei aren't that weird of a fit, being largely blue with a strong focus on Light and Paladins and all that noble courageous stuff. They would have made an excellent Alliance race had they not relied on retcons to justify their existence or if they were strongly developed before being made into a playable race.

And that's honestly been the biggest problem with introducing new races into the Alliance, whether that's draenei, or worgen, or void elves, they all run way too much on rule of cool and nothing substantial.

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:35 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:04 am

I must admit tone of their relationship is pretty different between WC2 and TBC.

You are right about Chris Metzen though. People tend to remember him fondly but they forget that even his story, characters were wildly inconsistent between each other. (except for Thrall green jesus).
Retail and Marvel lore shares a lot of parallel come to think of it. Both of them didn't make them much but still enjoyable, but both of them become still not making sense and no longer enjoyable.
Chris Metzen NEVER wrote anything for WoW after vanilla, same goes to the likes of Mike Morhaine or Samwize didier.
All were sidelined by Tom "tim willits clone" Chilton and the Everquest Hires like Dave Kosak, Furor Afrasabi and Tigole Bitties who didn't played or help with warcraft 3 development.

If anyone wants to take a look at how different wow was, Pre Alpha was sill the og blizzard's baby, Alpha was EQ hires an onwards.
John Staats made an entire book about the development, everything was rushed to meet the 2004 Christmas season.

Feebas233

Post by Feebas233 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:00 am

Bittermens wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:35 pm
Jongyi wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:04 am

Chris Metzen NEVER wrote anything for WoW after vanilla, same goes to the likes of Mike Morhaine or Samwize didier.
All were sidelined by Tom "tim willits clone" Chilton and the Everquest Hires like Dave Kosak, Furor Afrasabi and Tigole Bitties who didn't played or help with warcraft 3 development.

If anyone wants to take a look at how different wow was, Pre Alpha was sill the og blizzard's baby, Alpha was EQ hires an onwards.
John Staats made an entire book about the development, everything was rushed to meet the 2004 Christmas season.

A lot of people see Metzen responsible for a lot of wrong doings of lore. I sometimes feel Metzen was not willing with some of the controversial changes and retcon but he was powerless to stop it. But he still get a lot of hate bcos he was face of the team.

Dracarusggotham

Re: Thalassian elves

Post by Dracarusggotham » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:21 pm

I love seeing how everyone here views the Blood Elves retcon in WoW Retail with a bad eye.
Really, after playing Turtle WoW I feel unable to go to WoW Retail and see that Blood Elf logo on the Horde side. It tastes bad to me and it gives me an annoyance that I cannot ignore so great that it is as if there were a hair on your screen.
Blood Elves/High Elves would benefit more in the Alliance than in the Horde.
I even once created a Blood Elf, I entered in Silvermoon and I could see orcs, tauren and undead... and even TROLLS wandering the streets that gave me such a discord with the environment that I simply left and eliminated the character .
I can't, I mean, it was more palatable for me to see Draeneis in the Horde than to see the Blood Elves themselves stuck there.

Qualopec

Post by Qualopec » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am

Andromath wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:11 pm

The thing about nelves participating in Troll Wars was so weird and shows nelves to be incredible hypocrites. If nelves were so eager to help people they temselves baished to conquer native nation, then they shouldn't cry when the same happens to them.

I was sympathetic no nelves under the condition that they stayed in their lane and didn't bother others. But if they're so eager to go out of their way to another continent to help people they supposedly desipise against people they didn't have contact in millenia and who never started conflict with nelves to begin with it just shows how messed up wow elves are.

Now for the subject. I agree that Belves joining Horde was idiotic choice, also for a reason that is completely changed the Horde and it never felt the same afterwards if half of the raid is human-look-alike. That wasn't Horde.
And don't get me started on the BS retcons to keep Silvermoon and Sunwell and keep Belves in EK after entire WC3 campaign was about them leaving for good. So I do hope Turtle Team delivers when they make 'Eversong Wastes' to truly show the scope of destruction Arthas brought. And not a small drak trail because that was a joke.

However even if I agree that belves joining Horde was bending lore backwards, it doesn't mean that helves having thin relation with Alliance ALSO Isn't true.

Let's remember that Helves only joined humans in Troll wars becuase they needed meet shields for them, they only taught a few humans basic magics and ever since their Alliance wasn't super tight, I believe they pulled their involvement when they were asked to pay for interment camps for orcs.

I think the story for helves should be realizing that they're shadow of themselves and they will never get the influence they once had so they have to navigate under new conditions. Struggle with mana addidction and trying to find a way around it, while also having to deal with the distrust of the Alliance. Don't forget that when Lordaeron fell Helves stoodby and didn't lift a finger being super sure their magical barrier will protect them - Nah-hah.