New to Turtle

Dinoriel

New to Turtle

Post by Dinoriel » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:19 pm

Hello! I've been looking at TurtleWoW for a while, and finally decided to take the plunge.
Got the game working and created a High Elf Rogue named Renera.

I'd say right now, my goal is just to explore the game and dip into the RP scene a bit. I've got TurtleRP, but if there are better addons out there, I'm open to suggestions! Hardcore also looks interesting, and something I might have a go at in the future.

Is there anything else I should know about as a new player? I'm familiar with WoW as a whole, but from what I am seeing, TurtleWoW has a lot that wasn't seen in retail. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything. :)

Dinoriel

Re: New to Turtle

Post by Dinoriel » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 am

Ended up switching to mage, lol.
Got her to level 12.

I plan to level my rogue eventually, though.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:15 am

I wouldn't worry about missing out on anything. The best way to experience TurtleWoW as a new player is to set out on a path and abandon everything you know about "the standard leveling path" from vanilla WoW. Try to experience the game as a new WoW player again, chase quests that seem unfamiliar or interesting, give in to your compulsions to explore an area that seems unfamiliar, be willing to roll other characters who may take other paths that will eventually, in theory, lead you to seeing everything there (currently) is to see.

This will give the game a great deal of replay value for you, coupled with the different class experiences courtesy of class reworks.

Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:19 am

Dinoriel wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:19 pm
Hello! I've been looking at TurtleWoW for a while, and finally decided to take the plunge.

I'd say right now, my goal is just to explore the game and dip into the RP scene a bit. I've got TurtleRP, but if there are better addons out there, I'm open to suggestions! Hardcore also looks interesting, and something I might have a go at in the future.

Is there anything else I should know about as a new player? I'm familiar with WoW as a whole, but from what I am seeing, TurtleWoW has a lot that wasn't seen in retail. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything. :)
TurtleRP is easily the best add-on to have. Insofar as roleplaying is concerned, I don't think you're missing anything else. I suppose I'd recommend joining the server's Discord and maybe also finding an active roleplaying guild to help you get into roleplaying on this server.

As a new player, you may wish to familiarize yourself with the changes this server has made (as you've noticed, there are quite a few). This thread is old and not complete but a really good start. There's also a Turtle WoW Database that you can search through.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the server!

Andromath

Post by Andromath » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Dinoriel wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 am
Got her to level 12.

Go to Alah'Thalas and find the Rep vendor to get a Staff with +6 Intellect.

Wish I'd found that on my mage a LOT sooner than level 19. I think it only requires level 10. Looks cool too!

Kefke
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Kefke » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:03 pm

I'd definitely say that Turtle RP is the definitive must-have roleplaying addon. Some people use My RP as well, but my experience with it was that it was buggy and threw error messages, so I got rid of it.

As others have said, play the game like you're new, and just see where things take you. There's a lot of differences from Blizzard's WoW, and plenty of new quests. Even extensions to old quest chains, so don't just focus on looking for the stuff you've never seen before.

Honestly, roleplaying is a great way to experience the new content, since you can just ask yourself, "What would my character want to do now?" and do that.

Dinoriel

Post by Dinoriel » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:18 pm

Andromath wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:54 pm
Dinoriel wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 am
Got her to level 12.

Go to Alah'Thalas and find the Rep vendor to get a Staff with +6 Intellect.

Wish I'd found that on my mage a LOT sooner than level 19. I think it only requires level 10. Looks cool too!
Nice! It's the teal/cyan version of the thalassian staff, right? I saw it on a few players, and wondered where they got it from. I'll definitely invest in that for the extra int. Thank you. ^^

Kefke wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:03 pm
I'd definitely say that Turtle RP is the definitive must-have roleplaying addon. Some people use My RP as well, but my experience with it was that it was buggy and threw error messages, so I got rid of it.

As others have said, play the game like you're new, and just see where things take you. There's a lot of differences from Blizzard's WoW, and plenty of new quests. Even extensions to old quest chains, so don't just focus on looking for the stuff you've never seen before.

Honestly, roleplaying is a great way to experience the new content, since you can just ask yourself, "What would my character want to do now?" and do that.
Awesome! I was worried that Turtle RP wasn't the RPing addon most people used, and that I'd need My RP to get started. I initially wanted to install it, but got some error messages that seemed kinda sketch, so I went with Turtle RP instead. I'm sure there probably wouldn't have been a problem, but I've had no issues with Turtle RP at all so far. In fact, it's really reminiscent of an addon I used back when I played retail.

I'll also have to keep that in mind. I just migrated from another server with pretty much the opposite mindset, expecting one to level fast and know everything already. From my experience so far, TurtleWoW really is a breath of fresh air. I'm more than happy to see where the wind takes me. ^^

I also find that players here enjoy documenting their leveling journey in-character. I've had some interesting things happen already just from exploring, which makes mixing RPing and leveling sound all the more fun.

Dinoriel

Post by Dinoriel » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:41 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:15 am
I wouldn't worry about missing out on anything. The best way to experience TurtleWoW as a new player is to set out on a path and abandon everything you know about "the standard leveling path" from vanilla WoW. Try to experience the game as a new WoW player again, chase quests that seem unfamiliar or interesting, give in to your compulsions to explore an area that seems unfamiliar, be willing to roll other characters who may take other paths that will eventually, in theory, lead you to seeing everything there (currently) is to see.

This will give the game a great deal of replay value for you, coupled with the different class experiences courtesy of class reworks.

That's good to hear! ^^ It sounds like a majority of players here aren't up in arms about hitting 60 as fast as they can. Leveling has always been one of the best parts of WoW for me. I'm also super glad that there doesn't seem to be a "correct" way of doing things, either. Being able to enjoy the game in any way (and at any pace) already sounds up my alley. I can see I was definitely wrong in thinking I should find/explore every new thing as fast as possible. xD

Mac wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:19 am
Dinoriel wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:19 pm

TurtleRP is easily the best add-on to have. Insofar as roleplaying is concerned, I don't think you're missing anything else. I suppose I'd recommend joining the server's Discord and maybe also finding an active roleplaying guild to help you get into roleplaying on this server.

As a new player, you may wish to familiarize yourself with the changes this server has made (as you've noticed, there are quite a few). This thread is old and not complete but a really good start. There's also a Turtle WoW Database that you can search through.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the server!

Wow! There's way more stuff added to TurtleWow than I expected. :0 Definitely something to look into. I'll check out the RP scene a bit more to see the active RP guilds as well. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. ^^

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:14 am

In essence, there is nothing wrong with "missing" something that may be optimal or best in slot for a level / level range or the like, as you can always go back and do it later usually for full experience, and just like the first time we all played WoW, you can then use that new information to inform what quest rewards you want to target on your next character. Aggregate experience and knowledge, use that knowledge if you so desire to kit our your alts as you level, or don't worry about it and just vibe.

Vanilla WoW and especially Turtle WoW is not about reaching 60. It's about vibing in the game world and having a good time. I've been 60 on my first character for a few months. Maybe I'll finish gearing him and get into raids in a few months. Maybe longer. Who knows? Doesn't matter to me as long as I'm having fun and killing time.

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:33 am

Dinoriel wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:41 pm
Wow! There's way more stuff added to TurtleWow than I expected. :0 Definitely something to look into. I'll check out the RP scene a bit more to see the active RP guilds as well. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. ^^
Specifically, make sure to check out this section of TWoWDB: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quests=-44