Tyrande is harsh towards High Elf refugees

Jongyi

Re: Tyrande too harsh towards High Elf refugees?

Post by Jongyi » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am

Andromath wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:24 pm
Maybe it would be worth revisiting the current crop of quests in Turtle WoW for revisions, then?

Something I feel the current set-up doesn't do well, (although I freely admit to not having yet gotten to level 60 and experienced all the custom quests) is set up the High Elves as a culture or entity of their own.The quests in Loch Modan brush over a refugee crisis, but feel like they ignore a significant hurdle the High Elves are still faced with: their addiction to magic. Not only that, but we have NPCs referencing various pillars of the Thalassian nation such as the Magistry, Farstriders, etc... without really seeing anyone who feels like a representative of any of this.

The High Elves do have a custom settlement, which is nice, but again it really feels like there is no sense of leadership, of community, etc... There isn't even that much representation from the various High Elven groups.

Right now if you ask for the name of a playable race's leader, can you give one for the High Elves of Turtle WoW? I couldn't. Feels like something of a major oversight from a lore perspective.

I guess the real question is how worthwhile it would be to change everything that's been implemented, whether or not that would be a good return on investment. I have no idea how difficult or resource intensive it is to overhaul quest text, add quests, or adjust NPC dialogue (or even just give them some to begin with). I wouldn't even be able to say with any certainty whether or not Turtle WoW would benefit from a completely custom Lore NPC for a High Elf leader, or if they should bring in someone like Vereesa or Alleria Windrunner somehow.

I would think once the High Elves themselves are more firmly cemented in the server's canon, that it would be simpler to open up more immersive relationships with other races. For example, the Quel'Danil Lodge in the Hinterlands has decided to go full cold turkey where magic is concerned. The High Elves there have entirely given it up. If ever there was a group of High Elves that'd draw Kaldorei sympathy and approval, I imagine they'd be it. It's conveniently located right next to Seradane, meaning Kaldorei Druids have a quick and easy location from which to meet with them and share resources and knowledge. Who knows but that High Elven Druids might even become a thing from such an interaction.

There is a lot to work with, and maybe more can be added in the future, but I'd be on-board for some revisions to existing content where the High Elves are concerned, not just to better flesh out their relationships with Alliance races, but themselves as a race as well.
I agree that high elves are currently underdeveloped in terms of story. Apart from some quests sprinkled across the world, we don't really see quests that reflect on their community and cultures. Devs might be saving high elf story for inevitable Quel'thalas expansion, but would be good to see more high elf spot light in terms of lore and story before that.

Andromath

Post by Andromath » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:32 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am
I agree that high elves are currently underdeveloped in terms of story. Apart from some quests sprinkled across the world, we don't really see quests that reflect on their community and cultures. Devs might be saving high elf story for inevitable Quel'thalas expansion, but would be good to see more high elf spot light in terms of lore and story before that.
Agreed. At the very least we should see some kind of leader figure for the High Elves. Even the Gnomes, who are also a refugee race, have Mekkatorque for their King. Despite the Darkspear being on the brinking of extinction, they have Vol'jin. I really don't know who the High Elves have, and that should've probably been made evident in the quests in Loch Modan.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:11 pm

Andromath wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:32 pm
Jongyi wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am
Agreed. At the very least we should see some kind of leader figure for the High Elves. Even the Gnomes, who are also a refugee race, have Mekkatorque for their King. Despite the Darkspear being on the brinking of extinction, they have Vol'jin. I really don't know who the High Elves have, and that should've probably been made evident in the quests in Loch Modan.
Veressa Windrunner at the top of Alah'Thalas act as de facto leader of high elves as far as i am aware of. She give quest chain of a sort around l.v30. Apart from that, there isn't any more quest to flesh out high elf lore.
Ppl said there used to be a max level high elf quest chain. But it was cut off currently for now