Lightwave

Defibrillator -A First Aid Rez

Post by Lightwave » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm

Defibrillator
Or, reviving players with First Aid.

Item
Consumed on use
Requires First Aid (200)
15 second cast time, cannot be cast in combat.
Unique(5) Max stack 5
Restores a dead player to life with 10 Health and 0 Mana. Chance of success raises with First Aid skill. (15 minute cooldown)

---

Success Rate depends on First Aid skill (25% at 200 skill, 75% at 300 skill)
Finishing the Resuscitation Quest (below) adds an additional 25% bonus to the chance, bringing it up to 100%

---

Quest: Resuscitation
Requires First Aid (300)
Quest Reward: Defibrillator has a 100% success rate
Quest is similar to Triage.

---

Aquisition Method:
-Undecided. Either purchased from an NPC or crafted by an Engineer.

Why add this?
-It would give all characters a way to revive an ally.

Why would people still use the Jumper Cables when this exists?
-Jumper Cables are reusable, Defibrillators are consumed. Also this has a longer cast time and cooldown than Jumper Cables.

Should the Quest really be a thing?
-Good Question. Discuss.

Well, that's my idea. Laud or Lambaste it as you will.

Ugoboom

Re: Defibrillator -A First Aid Rez

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 pm

+1. This is another great example of a craftable that makes reasonable sense, and in gameplay would make engineering less insanely OP like it is right now. I also still stand by my sapper change post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4779
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:40 am

You need to wait 30s after equipping jumper cables to use them, which also means you can't try to snipe in a resurrection in between combat waves. I would never use them again if this existed. Not to mention the failure chance on the cables.
Maybe give engineers gnomish combat knife?

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:56 pm

All that makes all proffesions more viable is a +1

And all.that makes eng less op.is another +1

So you have my +2
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:45 am

A thought. Perhaps instead of a Defibrillator, it could be Smelling Salts. I think that would be both a) more conceptually different from the Goblin Jumper Cables, and b) fitting to the state that the player is revived in. It would also be something that could reasonably be crafted using First Aid skill, possibly using Salt and some kind of fish in a vial, so that it's something that any player can get the ingredients to.

[Edit]That would also open the possibility that, rather than different chances based on skill, there could be different potencies with higher chances of success, similar to how other First Aid crafts have better versions.[/Edit]

Lightwave

Post by Lightwave » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:07 pm

Smelling Salts also sound like a good idea, and different levels with better chances of success would probably be easier to implement than my suggestion.

Daspien1

Post by Daspien1 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:24 pm

Good Idea +1
Dzamboko troll warlock

In the end death claims us all !

Lasershadow

Post by Lasershadow » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:40 am

+1 as well.
A defibrillator or Smelling Salts for max 300 First Aid would be a outstanding addition for allowing all classes to have a REZ of some kind.
Smelling Salts as a post wipe rez.
Defibrillator as a battle rez with chance of failure.
Items would be required for each use.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:03 am

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:30 pm

Geojak wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:03 am
explain

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:56 am

Gantulga wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:40 am
You need to wait 30s after equipping jumper cables to use them, which also means you can't try to snipe in a resurrection in between combat waves. I would never use them again if this existed. Not to mention the failure chance on the cables.
The defibrilator is a consumable, so jumper cables can still do the job cheaper and are on an independent cd. That alone makes them still worthwile occasionally. When for instance rezzing more than one downed friend. So ye while it infringes on cables, i think its a net positive

Edit:
How about defib consuming battery packs? That fits and enaures battery pack is not this one off item thats only used for mcp

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:38 pm

Kairion wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:56 am
Gantulga wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:40 am
The defibrilator is a consumable, so jumper cables can still do the job cheaper and are on an independent cd. That alone makes them still worthwile occasionally. When for instance rezzing more than one downed friend. So ye while it infringes on cables, i think its a net positive

Edit:
How about defib consuming battery packs? That fits and enaures battery pack is not this one off item thats only used for mcp
It isn't a net positive when the proposed alternative that it available to all professions, is just plan out superior mechanically with its 100% success chance and not being a trinket you have to equip and wait 30s to use. The reagent cost and cooldown are irrelevant since this is something you only use ocassionally.
This basically makes defibrillators a total joke while taking away from engineering just because.

The free-for-all alternative should be inferior, not superior.

Also, I would be more than fine with having a new defibrillator recipe which uses the existing version and upgrades it into a new one that uses battery packs to guarantee a 100% success rate.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 pm

Gantulga wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:38 pm
It isn't a net positive when the proposed alternative that it available to all professions, is just plan out superior mechanically with its 100% success chance and not being a trinket you have to equip and wait 30s to use. The reagent cost and cooldown are irrelevant since this is something you only use ocassionally.
This basically makes defibrillators a total joke while taking away from engineering just because.

The free-for-all alternative should be inferior, not superior.

Also, I would be more than fine with having a new defibrillator recipe which uses the existing version and upgrades it into a new one that uses battery packs to guarantee a 100% success rate.
I agree that these new first aid defibs should have 45 second casting times. And also relatively expensive. And also share the chance to fail like the engi trinket does.

This keeps engi trinket as superior, but frees the profession-exclusive lockout from having and using this player power.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:01 pm

Yea what gantulga said.
IF the new addition makes the vanilla engie trinkets obsolete, then -1.
If a way can be found to keep them both relevant then +1
For example make defibrillator set use up 1 battery like battery mcp on use and also share fail rate and Similiar long cd as engine (doesn't have to be shared)
This way you need to pay with survival while engine has still some advange

Luuk

Post by Luuk » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:43 am

Maybe place an item like the smelling salt under Alchemy or (preferably) another more unpopular primary profession(scroll of resurrection in enchanting)? I feel like everyone already has FA so everyone will have access to this. That might be too much.

If we place this under a 'least played' profession we might simultaneously nerf engineering and buff an unpopular one.

Lightwave

Post by Lightwave » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:02 am

So... as it turns out, Smelling Salts actually exist already.
It's content that didn't make it out of the Alpha.
The recipe might be too easy, though.
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=8546
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=8547

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 am

So it seems that Blizz had the same idea, they just never ran with it. Turtle does like to go back and revisit unused ideas and neglected lore, so this seems like a point in favor.

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 am

Lightwave wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:02 am
So... as it turns out, Smelling Salts actually exist already.
It's content that didn't make it out of the Alpha.
The recipe might be too easy, though.
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=8546
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=8547
This would make more sense under alchemy for sure.

Elisleris

Post by Elisleris » Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm

With new patch Hijal will opened, and added quest for this Smelling Salts
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40875

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Mon May 15, 2023 12:25 pm

sounds like something engi would make (Goblin Jumper Cables XL). and it could use Hypertech Battery Pack.

Elesion

Post by Elesion » Mon May 15, 2023 12:56 pm

Elisleris wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm
With new patch Hijal will opened, and added quest for this Smelling Salts
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40875
We should of course take this with a grain of (smelling) salt, because the balance is likely far from final and we don't have a full picture yet. But looking at the other quests of that NPC, seeing where these 50 Bright Dream Shards you need actually come from, right now the cost of the turn-in materials seems to be on the order of 1000g. That strikes me as a fine balance to not completely invalidate engineering by a simple craftable that everyone with FA gets around lvl 40. A revive for every class with the only investment of a few pieces of cloth to skill FA up may be convenient but is *far* outside any kind of blizzlike gamebalance.
So while I somewhat agree with the steep cost, this also means you are fairly unlikely to encounter Smelling Salts in the wild and see them actually being useful in instances (outside of a raid group speeding up recovery after a wipe perhaps). But the whole thing would be in line with what they said yesterday in the livestream interview, that they struggle making Hyjal relevant and offer sufficiently powerful rewards to get people to quest there at lvl 60. The salts seem extremely powerful and the cost is high enough to keep you tied up for quite a while.

Tasman

Post by Tasman » Mon May 15, 2023 1:01 pm

Maybe also add to FA couple recipies to cure diseases. We already have anty venom. Some kind of tincture crafted from water, parts of animals or herbs. It will be useful for clases that cant cure diseases.

Balake

Post by Balake » Mon May 15, 2023 3:44 pm

Tasman wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:01 pm
Maybe also add to FA couple recipies to cure diseases. We already have anty venom. Some kind of tincture crafted from water, parts of animals or herbs. It will be useful for clases that cant cure diseases.
An anti-biotic made from Ichor of Undeath and Raw Black Truffle would be nice. Both drop from undead/rotten mobs and those are the mobs who put diseases a lot so it fits.