Improved Eyes of the Beast

Szachmatsky

Improved Eyes of the Beast

Post by Szachmatsky » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:20 pm

Hello,

I'm new here. Just started leveling a hunter.
I've seen that one of the changes in skills/talents is:
★ Improved Eyes of the Beast
Increases the duration of Eyes of the Beast by 30/60 seconds. While channeling this ability your tamed pet deals 15/30% additional damage and increases its focus generation by 15/30%.
I wonder what the purpose of this change is? In what situation this is helpful?
And this is no malice on my part. This is a serious question.
Personally, I have used this skill extremely rarely, only for fun, but if such a change was made, it seems to me that it should be significant for the class.

Massie2

Re: Improved Eyes of the Beast

Post by Massie2 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:02 pm

A primary use-case for example is, improving pet-tanking in dungeons. Keep in mind, while a pet gets mulched by raid bosses, pets still have a bunch of advantages over players and have very solid base-tankiness which comes in handy pre-60, even if manually controlled:

Pets run faster, so you can pull mobs and kite them back to the party without getting hit - this works even when manually controlled.

Pets Defense hit-table works almost like NPCs (-> If the mob is grey level, your pet has like 70% dodge/parry/miss from the front), which makes running low level dungeons solo as hunter with 0 gear very easy - manually control your pet, pull a lot of low level mobs, park pet in a corner, take next to no damage (tip: Gorillas/Birds have AoE abilities for threat).

Increased Damage/Focus increases threat generation. Let's say you're doing Maraudon Princess and you're at the last boss, but your Tank ragequit because he's sitting in the fart waves and OOMing the healer.
Instead of disbanding with 4 players, you can come back, pop Beastial Wrath for +50% dmg & CC immunity, use Eyes of the Beast for another stat steroid and build a ton of threat, so your ranged DPS will not rip aggro.
And once your pet has a sizeable lead, you can cancel the channel and start pumping Trueshots or alternatively assist healing your pet. The pet will be immune to the knockback, but not the damage, so it can still pump threat.

You can also use Eyes of the Beast and "Stay" to position your Pet as a guard without putting your hunter at risk. Giving the "Stay" command will work even after you cancel the ability. This can also be used by Nightelf Hunters to create mindgames by positioning your pet away from you and Shadowmelding, and baiting people to AoE your pet to catch you. But then again, this does not directly benefit from the buffed version of EotB.

Another gimmick that benefits from the change is; Pets don't despawn from range as long as you are using Eyes of the Beast. Especially with the Outdoor talent, you can use the pet to scout areas without having to backtrack. You could also harass people in PvP while your character sits somewhere safe in the distance (examples would be, sitting on Lumbermill in AB, and sending in your Windserpent to interrupt flag on Blacksmith.) The increased duration, increases your range the pet can go.
Unfortunately, this is the main thing EotB is used for: Ganking lowies in Warmode with your pet, while you hide your Hunter. The increased damage makes it a lot easier to quickly kill multiple lowies before they can run away.

Szachmatsky

Post by Szachmatsky » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:13 pm

Massie2 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:02 pm
his is the main thing EotB is used for: Ganking lowies in Warmode with your pet, while you hide your Hunter. The increased damage makes it a lot easier to quickly kill multiple lowies before they can run away.
Great. I'm going 2/2 on this.
Thanks ;)

Schwarzschild

Post by Schwarzschild » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:09 pm

If you choose a tanky pet (e.g., turtle, gorilla, boar or bear) and go down the Beastmaster tree, you should be able to use Impr. Eye of the Beast to tank most bosses in dungeons if your group is alert and mindful.

If someone tried that but had a bad time, please relate your experience.