New Races - Blood Elves & Ogres

Whalemilk

New Races - Blood Elves & Ogres

Post by Whalemilk » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:33 pm

Last edited by Whalemilk on Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karrados

Re: New Races - Blood Elves & Ogres

Post by Karrados » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:03 pm

Absolutely not.

Not only is the Aoe Silence broken as all hells but the Alliance doesn't need another popular race while Horde gets another race that is maybe played by 2-3% of the people.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:06 pm

Karrados wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:03 pm
Absolutely not.

Not only is the Aoe Silence broken as all hells but the Alliance doesn't need another popular race while Horde gets another race that is maybe played by 2-3% of the people.
1. It's really not something I'm expecting to be put in the game.
2. I think ogres are cooler than blood elves?
3. I don't see how the silence is broken?

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:15 pm

Yes people thought Goblins are cooler than High Elves yet the obvious spread is just sickening.

Goblins are the least played Race despite SO MANY people claiming to love them and to play them.

And if you don't see how a 8 yard AOE silence for 2 seconds is not broken then I don't know what to tell you man. You can disable an entire caster group in PVE or PVP

Velend

Post by Velend » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:11 pm

Seems cool enough

Lightmeup

Post by Lightmeup » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:41 pm

It says blood elves but you've put high elves on the artwork, is that a mistake?

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:45 pm

Lightmeup wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:41 pm
It says blood elves but you've put high elves on the artwork, is that a mistake?
yup! Fixed it... kind of rushed this

Lightmeup

Post by Lightmeup » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:52 pm

no worries haha, I thought I was tripping lol

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:59 pm

We already have blood elves.

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:15 pm

Adding Blood Elves as a playable race wouldn't make a lot of sense to me because of the way lore evolved with the High Elves. Blood Elves could be added as enemies.

The Ogres is something I'd like to see happen though. I think they could have an option to have 2 heads, in which case the 'thinking is hard' could be replaced with 'magical affinity'; increasing intelligence by 5% but also increasing casting time by 20%.

Blizzard was planning to add Ogres in vanilla but supposedly couldn't figure out how should be the female ones, I don't think it should be an obstacle; make them only male, and add quests indicating that the brutes have the females opressed and don't allow them to be any of the classes.

The gear adapted to their model would be a big task, unfortunately I don't see them being added anytime soon, but they're definitely the number 1 candidate for a new Horde race.

That reminds me, according to the lore, Night Elves have only male druids and only female priestesses.

On the side note, apart from Ogres, they planned at one point to also add Goblins and Nagas in vanilla.
So Goblins being added was a good idea.

I like the Nagas, they weren't added because they don't have feet and legs, so there would be a gear imbalance. But in my opinion there could be a solution to that; they could have a Naga-only witchcraft ability that could make what they'd be wear on their lower body, to assume the qualities of the equipment they can't wear (foot and legs gear) as long as they meet the requirements to wear it (their level, their class restricted gear type like plate mail etc) and they have the item in the inventory. If transmog is possible it doesn't sound too far fetched. But I don't see the Alliance accepting the Naga if they rejected the Forsaken. So at best they could become yet another strategic ally of the Horde, likely won't happen because Ogres make much more sense to join the Horde.
I'm not sure what race could be then added to the Alliance, my number one choice would be the Vrykul, if Northrend was introduced as horizontal content.
Last edited by Mativh on Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Gnomoerectus

Post by Gnomoerectus » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:18 pm

Not the biggest fan of Blood Elves but I really like the idea of races having stronger racial abilities that are offset by having one with a detrimental effect.
Also Ogres are cool.

Massie2

Post by Massie2 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:41 pm

I don't know, seems a little problematic in the sense of PvP where two nearly indistinguishable races approach you, but one is basically harmless, and the other one will silence you for 2 seconds.

More likely to just have a "Blood Elf" donor skin for High elves that just gives them green eyes (unless that's already a thing lmao).

Ogres however would be rad, though I think falls through the classic "lacking texture/animation pack" issue in the sense that most of the gear wouldn't be visible and only few (weapon attack) animations existing.

Artofwill

Post by Artofwill » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:26 pm

Ogres would be badass I would love to see that.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:56 pm

Pretty sure Staff has a very strong opinion on Blood Elves as a playable race / faction. Basically, it will never happen.

Zeldy

Post by Zeldy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:29 am

Ogres would be cool, perhaps another Outland race for Alliance. Doesn't necessarily have to be Draenei either.
Last edited by Zeldy on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jambiya

Post by Jambiya » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:06 am

hardest thing about ogres is getting armor on them. would be cool though. Ogre skin in shop is best we can get atm

Markuis

Post by Markuis » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am

Alliance could get Draenei, the uglier version we see in the Swamp of Sorrows. Other than that, no real race exists that would fit joining them. It would require to expand the lore to add it (like Arakoaa and the likes).

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:48 pm

Markuis wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am
Alliance could get Draenei, the uglier version we see in the Swamp of Sorrows. Other than that, no real race exists that would fit joining them. It would require to expand the lore to add it (like Arakoaa and the likes).
Precisely the point that makes this discussion seem redundant.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:27 pm

Markuis wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am
Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like the alliance can’t have any… ummm… ugly looking race. The alliance seems like it should only have the classic fantasy races.

Elkepwn

Post by Elkepwn » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:29 pm

+1!
I've never really been a friend of elves, much more would like to see the worgen in the alliance.

Ogre for the Horde makes sense and is long overdue. phenomenal!!
Gladiator / WoW Custom Content Creator
viewtopic.php?t=4220
play's turtle since 2022
APPLETREY: https://armory.turtle-wow.org/#!/character/Appletrey
INTERFACE: https://github.com/Appletrey/Turtle-WoW-pfUI-Interface

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:30 pm

Yes because that is exactly what the Horde needs.

Another Race that will probably be one of the least played along with missing basic animations and customization. Throw in that most armors will not work well/at all and you have another Goblin/High Elf situation.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:45 pm

Karrados wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:30 pm
Yes because that is exactly what the Horde needs.

Another Race that will probably be one of the least played along with missing basic animations and customization. Throw in that most armors will not work well/at all and you have another Goblin/High Elf situation.
We can always dream

Ishilu

Post by Ishilu » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:10 pm

Ogres look fun but I don't see this happen from a technical point.

I've never understood why people want to play Blood elves... and why call for those when high elves are already playable? Maybe just add another eye color for high elves instead?

Broken Draenei would be cool, though.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:40 pm

Ishilu wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:10 pm
I've never understood why people want to play Blood elves...
I really don’t want to play as blood elves. I want ogres to be a part of the horde, but alliance would need a race and I only see blood elves being that race

Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:30 am

Whalemilk wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:40 pm
I really don’t want to play as blood elves. I want ogres to be a part of the horde, but alliance would need a race and I only see blood elves being that race
Furbolg. Would require a bunch of work but so do ogres. Would also mean Alliance would be getting shamans.

Worgen. If you go the Gilnean route, Gilneas is currently a big empty space that could be built into a nice starter zone for them.

Or just give Horde Ogres and Alliance get no new race. Horde has fewer players on this server. Giving them an additional race option over Alliance wouldn't unbalance things. If anything, it might equalize things.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, a better starting place for Worgen might be Shadowfang Keep. There's an uninstanced version of Shadowfang Keep that exists outside of the dungeon itself. It's empty and incomplete, but map editing could fix that. Could be you start out a servant of Arugal but eventually break free, sort of like how Goblins work in Turtle WoW.
Last edited by Mac on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:13 am

wrote:Or just give Horde Ogres and Alliance get no new race. Horde has fewer players on this server. Giving them an additional race option over Alliance wouldn't unbalance things. If anything, it might equalize things.
I would actually be down for that. I think it would help bring people to the horde.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:52 am

Whalemilk wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:13 am
wrote:Or just give Horde Ogres and Alliance get no new race. Horde has fewer players on this server. Giving them an additional race option over Alliance wouldn't unbalance things. If anything, it might equalize things.
I would actually be down for that. I think it would help bring people to the horde.
Not sure it is a good idea as more than half of the playerbase is Alliance and devs won't want to piss them off

Markuis

Post by Markuis » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:51 am

Jongyi wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:52 am
Not sure it is a good idea as more than half of the playerbase is Alliance and devs won't want to piss them off
I'd rather have one more race than having no new ones because two races at once is too much work.

Jambiya

Post by Jambiya » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:30 pm

neutral race when?

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:47 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Whalemilk wrote:
Didn't stop them from releasing the High Elf race which was mostly functioning with slight issues (No voiced emotes) vs Goblins that had basically no customization, missing emotes and just straight up missing BASIC ANIMATIONS for fighting.

They did not think for one moment how that one would affect the Horde. But do the same for the Alliance? Nah, we wouldn't want to piss them off.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:11 pm

Karrados wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:47 pm
Jongyi wrote:
Whalemilk wrote:

Didn't stop them from releasing the High Elf race which was mostly functioning with slight issues (No voiced emotes) vs Goblins that had basically no customization, missing emotes and just straight up missing BASIC ANIMATIONS for fighting.

They did not think for one moment how that one would affect the Horde. But do the same for the Alliance? Nah, we wouldn't want to piss them off.
What are u smoking, bro. Goblins many issues have been fixed and there are a lot of ppl who prefer goblins over high elves.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Elkepwn wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:29 pm
+1!
I've never really been a friend of elves, much more would like to see the worgen in the alliance.

Ogre for the Horde makes sense and is long overdue. phenomenal!!
I mean, how do you even explain a playable Worgen without the Cataclysm sheningans.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:37 pm

Not commenting much, just came here to say it's fun to see people do this kind of extra effort for a fun little thing they had in mind.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:52 pm

Gheor wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:37 pm
Not commenting much, just came here to say it's fun to see people do this kind of extra effort for a fun little thing they had in mind.
Honestly, this is just to spark your imagination. It’s fun to imagine what this would be like in game.

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:11 pm
Karrados wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:47 pm
Jongyi wrote:

What are u smoking, bro. Goblins many issues have been fixed and there are a lot of ppl who prefer goblins over high elves.
Yeah, sure. That is why the Graph has shown High Elves as the second most played Race while Goblins were the least played even under Gnomes ;)

And it only took them over a year to fix the "small issues" of Goblins missing basic combat animations. But sure, What am I smoking?