Undead High Elves

Mikeloss

Undead High Elves

Post by Mikeloss » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:23 pm

Hey there everyone!

My suggestion today is something that already occured to many of you. While Arthas was marching up Lordaeron in direction Quel'Thalas he was mainly killing and rising Humans and High Elves (probally also some wandering travellers like gnomes & Dwarfs) so why did Blizzard did not bother to add those High Elves as Undead?

Well, maybe by reusing the Textures and Models from The Burning Crusade Expansion again (Blood Elves) the Developers could add as a skin type for the Undead race the choice for the Wretched (Mana addicted Blood Elves) skins.

Please tell me what you think!

Much Love satisfied_turtle_head
Maelm the Forest Ranger
"What I have learned from the elves in my youth is what I do for a living. If no one protects us then who will..."

Paledot

Re: Undead High Elves

Post by Paledot » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:40 pm

All other arguments and possible issues aside, I think it could at least bring more players to the Horde and balance the numbers a bit. High elves are the most played race on Turtle, right?

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:58 pm

Paledot wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:40 pm
All other arguments and possible issues aside, I think it could at least bring more players to the Horde and balance the numbers a bit. High elves are the most played race on Turtle, right?
Second most played after Human which should be enough to tell the Devs that something is wrong. At least the characters created in total says that:

1. Human (7825)
2. High Elf (6344)
3. Undead (4405)
4. Night Elf (4230)
5. Orc (4212)

This doesn't have to mean anything BUT we do know that Alliance is more popular according to the available info that we have.

In my opinion it was a HUGE mistake to add High Elves to the Alliance as they are without a doubt one of the most popualr races even on Retail + Classic WoW.

The Horde got Goblins in return which have a creation rate that equals... Gnomes.

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:02 pm

I thought about this too, and I think as Paledot said, that it would balance the faction imbalance in terms of players.
I dont know how it would fit lorewise, I know arthas slaugthered the elves and destroyed the sunwell but I have no idea if he let them rise again, propably but idk.
But anyway, I would like to see undead high elves for the horde.

Paledot

Post by Paledot » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:17 pm

Karrados wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:58 pm
Paledot wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:40 pm
Second most played after Human which should be enough to tell the Devs that something is wrong. At least the characters created in total says that:

1. Human (7825)
2. High Elf (6344)
3. Undead (4405)
4. Night Elf (4230)
5. Orc (4212)

This doesn't have to mean anything BUT we do know that Alliance is more popular according to the available info that we have.

In my opinion it was a HUGE mistake to add High Elves to the Alliance as they are without a doubt one of the most popualr races even on Retail + Classic WoW.

The Horde got Goblins in return which have a creation rate that equals... Gnomes.
Thanks for the numbers. It is kinda concerning... And it's also shame that Western Horde is generally unpopular – and UD high elves wouldn't really help with that... Not to make it another topic, but I think Western Horde have tremendous potential for more models/sub-races like forest trolls, mag'har orcs etc. that could boost their numbers (they are now buyable skins though).

Thol

Post by Thol » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:53 am

If they look like this:
And not like Blood Elves, I'm in agreement.
Could be available as an alternate skin for the Forsaken in the shop.

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:28 am

Exactly! Thank you!
Maelm the Forest Ranger
"What I have learned from the elves in my youth is what I do for a living. If no one protects us then who will..."

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 pm

Thol wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:53 am
If they look like this:
That would be awesome.

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Thol wrote:
If they look like this:
All RP and stuff aside, our target with the next playable races should be to balance the factions and I dont think an undead with pointy ears would change anything BUT I would like if undead get the option to hide their bones, look at the chinese version of WoW for the models.

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:49 am

Venytas wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:22 pm
Thol wrote:
If they look like this:
All RP and stuff aside, our target with the next playable races should be to balance the factions and I dont think an undead with pointy ears would change anything BUT I would like if undead get the option to hide their bones, look at the chinese version of WoW for the models.
That one will be hard to accomplish. Even on Retail, despite all the added races, Blood Elves are still one of the most popular.

The Horde was dying towards the end of Vanilla while the Alliance kept growing because more and more people wanted to play pretty races.

Fuck, the only reason why they added Blood Elves is due to the Korean market which wanted more pretty races for the Horde and guess what? It worked, even Western people wanted it despite never really saying it or at least they didn't let people know about it.

So whatever Race they will add to the Horde (If they will add one) it will have to be at least non-monstrous.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 am

Karrados wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:49 am
Venytas wrote:
Thol wrote:
If they look like this:
That one will be hard to accomplish. Even on Retail, despite all the added races, Blood Elves are still one of the most popular.

The Horde was dying towards the end of Vanilla while the Alliance kept growing because more and more people wanted to play pretty races.

Fuck, the only reason why they added Blood Elves is due to the Korean market which wanted more pretty races for the Horde and guess what? It worked, even Western people wanted it despite never really saying it or at least they didn't let people know about it.

So whatever Race they will add to the Horde (If they will add one) it will have to be at least non-monstrous.

Please don't add blood elves, undead high elves or any beautiful race to the horde bcos it ruins their theme.
I say adding blood elves to the horde was one of Blizzard lore disaster and all faction imbalance problem started from TBC.
There is nothing wrong with Alliance being more popular here. Horde outnumber the alliance heavily in retail, classic and every other private servers. Let alliance have a big population in Turtle at least

Akil1337

Post by Akil1337 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:22 am

Thol wrote:
If they look like this:
lul another race with crooked back xD yea this will help...

to be serious for a moment: give horde one race that can stand upright. problem solved

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 am
Karrados wrote:
Venytas wrote:

Please don't add blood elves, undead high elves or any beautiful race to the horde bcos it ruins their theme.
I say adding blood elves to the horde was one of Blizzard lore disaster and all faction imbalance problem started from TBC.
There is nothing wrong with Alliance being more popular here. Horde outnumber the alliance heavily in retail, classic and every other private servers. Let alliance have a big population in Turtle at least
Excuse me? What? "Horde is more popular everywhere else that is not Turtle so it's okay for it to be here like that?"

While it's true for Retail, the Alliance was heavily favored both in Classic and Season of Mastery with TBC Classic finally evening out the factions for the most part with the inclusion of Blood Elves.

"Faction imbalance problem started from TBC" Wrong, What you call imbalance was a shift towards actual balance with my Server going back towards a decent 50/50 split compared to the 70/30 it was before.

Just to clarify it even more: I am not willing to argue about this with you in particular because you approached this entire situation in bad faith, you are fine with faction imbalance due to something that has nothing to do with Turtle WoW nor should it be a factor in it.

You are fine with the Horde being outnumbered if it ever comes to a clash in PVP.

Heimdallr

Post by Heimdallr » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 pm

If we got lack of players in horde, and lack of ideas for races...why not Ogres?, these weird twisted Draenei ...I would even go with bristleback or sthing

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:24 pm

Heimdallr wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 pm
If we got lack of players in horde, and lack of ideas for races...why not Ogres?, these weird twisted Draenei ...I would even go with bristleback or sthing
Because there are no ready-made Ogre models that can be dressed with all kinds of armor, I assume.

The problem with Goblins was that they were incredibly unpolished and I would go as far and say that they STILL are heavily lacking in terms of customization while the Alliance straight up got Blood Elves with all their stuff + one extra hair piece.

It took over a year to add basic stuff to the Goblins and they still only have 2-3 faces and 2-3 beard options.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:30 pm

Karrados wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:14 pm
Jongyi wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 am
Karrados wrote:

Excuse me? What? "Horde is more popular everywhere else that is not Turtle so it's okay for it to be here like that?"

While it's true for Retail, the Alliance was heavily favored both in Classic and Season of Mastery with TBC Classic finally evening out the factions for the most part with the inclusion of Blood Elves.

"Faction imbalance problem started from TBC" Wrong, What you call imbalance was a shift towards actual balance with my Server going back towards a decent 50/50 split compared to the 70/30 it was before.

Just to clarify it even more: I am not willing to argue about this with you in particular because you approached this entire situation in bad faith, you are fine with faction imbalance due to something that has nothing to do with Turtle WoW nor should it be a factor in it.

You are fine with the Horde being outnumbered if it ever comes to a clash in PVP.

It is just a simple argument and no need to get triggered by it. Everyone and their mother know blizzard shoehorn blood elves into horde as pure fanservice without strong lore basis and faction imbalance originate back heavily in TBC.
Faction Population here is also not that big with just a few hundred gap. And Alliance playerbase here is mostly RP PVE community and Horde has bigger PVP playerbase. I don't see the issue of being that badly outnumbered in horde.

Adding high elves to the horde is what Blizzard should have done in many years back. And Turtle devs did the right choice which Blizzard lack balls to by adding high elves to ally. I see the appeal of Amani forest trolls to the Horde as new race as they fit the aesthetic and theme of the Horde and Zul'Jin is an established badass character

Hombrehongo

Post by Hombrehongo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:06 pm

I would like to see more tipes of undead as playable. I never played forsaken cos they look terrible imo but i would definitely play as a skeleton. Also Silvanas is not the only dark ranger, Arthas killed a lot of elfs so it makes sense that they end up as forsaken lore wise. I would not add a new race just diferent option when creating a forsaken.

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Op asked for skin not a new race.
Duvall 60 Hunter
Velissa 35 Priest
Calmore 60 Shaman Tank
Malcore 45 Warlock
Splodax 28 Rogue
Ghostbc 40 Paladin
Hanami 60 Druid
Reidobosu 34 Warrior

Kremmen

Post by Kremmen » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:24 pm

Akil1337 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:22 am
Thol wrote:
If they look like this:
lul another race with crooked back xD yea this will help...

to be serious for a moment: give horde one race that can stand upright. problem solved
I'd like it if Orcs would stand up straight. What, did the entire male side of the Orcish Horde develop kyphosis in the four years between WC3 and WoW? Seriously, look at this shit.

Image Image
Plaidskull - Undead Warrior
<TurtleHeads>
Progression/ guild based in the Oceanic region
Times: Monday/Saturday 7:45pm AEST (9:45am Server Time), Sunday fun/progression events 8pm AEST (10am Server Time).
https://discord.gg/gBcH9sG75n

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:45 pm

Having a skin available for the Undead race is just a cosmetic option... It is lorewise correct and it fits perfectly with the fact the High Elves are an Alliance Race. The only problem I see here, that I actually just realized is the 3D models which might not be ready to fit Armor into. Other than that it should add more value to Role Playing.

PS: I was completely oblivious to the Chinese Version of the Undead Race until Venytas mentined it, OMG we could defintively have those skins also available to the Undead. I mean it is not like the Humans or Elves that died by the Scourges hand died to long ago! hahahaha xD

Big Love turtle_tongue
Maelm the Forest Ranger

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:13 pm

I dont play horde in vanilla because every character except their female counterparts have hunched backs, and I am original a horde player.
People saying "no beautiful race for horde" are just gatekeeping fools who are willing to let something die off because they want their will to be enforced.

YOU. NEED. TO. REALIZE. THAT. YOU. WONT. LOOSE. ANYTHING. IF. PEOPLE. GET. OPTIONS!

And I think having orcs and/or trolls with straight backs would be super cool, I would instantly play one.

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:59 pm

Unfortunately I think that would be rather hard considering the fact that those options only came in later expansions on the game. I am not saying it would be impossible though. :)
But that is actually a feature I enjoyed on Retail when it became available.
Maelm the Forest Ranger

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:10 pm

Venytas wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:13 pm
I dont play horde in vanilla because every character except their female counterparts have hunched backs, and I am original a horde player.
People saying "no beautiful race for horde" are just gatekeeping fools who are willing to let something die off because they want their will to be enforced.

YOU. NEED. TO. REALIZE. THAT. YOU. WONT. LOOSE. ANYTHING. IF. PEOPLE. GET. OPTIONS!

And I think having orcs and/or trolls with straight backs would be super cool, I would instantly play one.
Bcos, there are a lot of horde players who despise Horde theme in retail with addition of blood elves and nightbornes, and have quit the game.
Original horde fans choose Thrall's horde to be noble savages and honorable warriors. We don't want barbie dolls in our Horde period.
I agree with straight-back orcs and trolls though. Maybe devs could add amani or zandalari troll without crooked back option

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:12 pm

Mikeloss wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:59 pm
Unfortunately I think that would be rather hard considering the fact that those options only came in later expansions on the game. I am not saying it would be impossible though. :)
But that is actually a feature I enjoyed on Retail when it became available.

Yeah, I know, pretty sad.
I just wanted to throw it out there haha.

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:20 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:10 pm
Venytas wrote:

Bcos, there are a lot of horde players who despise Horde theme in retail with addition of blood elves and nightbornes, and have quit the game.
Original horde fans choose Thrall's horde to be noble savages and honorable warriors. We don't want barbie dolls in our Horde period.
I agree with straight-back orcs and trolls though. Maybe devs could add amani or zandalari troll without crooked back option

"Thralls horde" what excaclty is this? I am pretty sure the leaders, thrall included, worked together to defeat an overwhelmingly big foe in the lore, so there is no such thing as thralls horde exspecially because they have been refugees for the entirety of W3, they literally got adopted by the trolls and tauren.

But I dont know why we have this discussion, the suggestion of undead high elves is the best thing we have in terms of lore friendly race that would even out the faction imbalance.

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:01 pm

:+1:
Maelm the Forest Ranger

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:12 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:10 pm
Venytas wrote:

If people quit playing World of Warcraft because Blood Elves joined the Horde, than I am sorry to say this to you, maybe they are not cut out to play the game... Do not take me wrong, I can understand that the Horde represents the underdogs, the ugly, the smelly, the bloodthirsty fiends, the ones that no one likes. But two of the Horde races are actually noble creatures and then you have trolls and undead who are really perverse, evil and damn crazy! It is all cosmetics, nothing more.
If ask me, a Tauren has more potential to be part of the "Good Side" Alliance (Please Lore people do not kill me on this one I know this is not black and white!) than to ally themselves with the likes of trolls and undead. The point is lorewise most of the races are just allied the way they are because of circustance not because they relate to eachothers uglieness, smelliness, or perversions.

I hope this might help you ease your opinion on this and give it a second thought!

Big love turtle_tongue
Maelm the Forest Ranger

Thol

Post by Thol » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:42 am

Forsaken alliance with the Horde never made too much sense to me, they would have made more sense as their own faction but it would have been too complicated to implement probably.
The new Horde was funded by Thrall after he made friends with Cairn Bloodhoof and Vol'jin, not every troll tribe is part of the Horde.
Afaik Blood Elves in Turtle WoW are enemy to both Horde and Alliance, as they chose to side with the Burning Legion. Description of Blood Mage unit in Warcraft III:
Many of the stoic high elves, reeling from the loss of their ancient homeland, Quel'Thalas, have given in to their hatred and despair and embraced the dark side of their magical natures. Calling themselves 'Blood Elves' - these cold hearted refugees seek to expand their remaining magical powers at any cost - even if it means courting the infernal powers of the Burning Legion! Though still loyal to the Alliance, the Blood Elves' passions will lead them not only to the highest pinnacles of power, but to the darkest depths of madness.

Talenne

Post by Talenne » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:44 pm

It's probably a subject of a lot of internal debate because right now you can pick Dark Ranger options for your High Elf character through the cosmetic store and I don't know how keen the devs are to have factions have basically the same race model like that.

I don't think undead elves would help too much either, slightly more pretty and human looking sure but still too necrotic and gothic which is more of a niche appeal. It's the same issue with Void Elves, they helped the Alliance a little bit by being the most popular allied race but Blood Elves were still a top pick and didn't bring too many players back over because they were too emo and corrupt looking before they got more high elf options.

Has to be a better way, I think cross-faction helps a lot but I think this is also one of those unique servers that's trying to respect the faction themes and general lore despite what gameplay outcome may happen with that, I'd rather not lose that when you have plenty of other options to play other servers like this one with healthier Horde population numbers because they have elves or something on it that you can go play on if you want.

Venytas

Post by Venytas » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Talenne wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:44 pm
It's probably a subject of a lot of internal debate because right now you can pick Dark Ranger options for your High Elf character through the cosmetic store and I don't know how keen the devs are to have factions have basically the same race model like that.

I don't think undead elves would help too much either, slightly more pretty and human looking sure but still too necrotic and gothic which is more of a niche appeal. It's the same issue with Void Elves, they helped the Alliance a little bit by being the most popular allied race but Blood Elves were still a top pick and didn't bring too many players back over because they were too emo and corrupt looking before they got more high elf options.

Has to be a better way, I think cross-faction helps a lot but I think this is also one of those unique servers that's trying to respect the faction themes and general lore despite what gameplay outcome may happen with that, I'd rather not lose that when you have plenty of other options to play other servers like this one with healthier Horde population numbers because they have elves or something on it that you can go play on if you want.

You have to unlock the void elves first, ofcourse ppl then choose to play the blood elves, I myself would have played the void elves but I never finished their questline, so I dont know how valid your argument is tbh.

And I dont think that ppl would not play undead high elves because they are to goth or emo.
Lets be honest here for a second, look at sylvanas and tell me with a straight face that the majority of players dont want to play a character who looks like her. Even statistics prove my point, look which warcraft character has the most r34 stuff, im pretty sure she is in the top 3, so yes, ppl want to play(and even more) undead high elves.

Twow would respect the lore with undead high elves as a forsaken horde race as far as I can tell.

Talenne

Post by Talenne » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:08 pm

The questline and awful rep grind that came with them was indeed a factor, but I still think they'd have been a much larger success had they just simply been High Elves,. It was a very hot button issue to even let them look like high elves, and most void elves I came across chose high elf options more than not before I unsubbed last year.

Blood Elves also vastly outshined the Night Elves when they came out, I think people will simply favor the most human-looking type of elf they are allowed to play and I'm guilty of that as well myself since I'm happy to finally be able to play an Alliance High Elf.

I'm not entirely against undead elves either and they'd fit better than what we got in retail although I'm not sure the devs prioritize faction balance as strongly as on here, perhaps because there are other private servers that put gameplay before lore and favor Blizzard's approach but I think one of them showed some enthusiasm about them the other day so we'll see.

Garotheon

Post by Garotheon » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:31 pm

That would be awesome

Markuis

Post by Markuis » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:22 am

I like the idea. I was going to suggest that adding undead elves as a new race, not just as an skin (sharing everthing with the undead, like spawn areas, mounts, etc) to the Horde would help balance populations and allow undead hunters to exist, along with some other race/class combination to give the undead more variety. But undead can already be hunters and the other classes are mage, priest, rogue, warlock and warrior, so there wouldn't really be any other benefit from it other than cosmetics, as undead elves don't fit as either druid, paladin nor shaman.

+1 to undead elves as either skin or donation skin. I'm sure people would go crazy for them.

Imonobor
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Imonobor » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:15 am

+1 For all the skin suggestions:
-Wretched undead skin
-Straight backed orcs skin (Maybe get the rig from the new orc models?)
-Skeleton undead skin (I don't know how armor textures would work on it though)
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Allknighty

Post by Allknighty » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Excellent idea.

My absolute dream would be a playable undead high elf paladin! turtle_in_love_head turtle_in_love_head
Nadys, hardcore High Elf Paladin (currently around lvl 36)

Died at lvl 27 (Paluns' ooze), lvl 19 (Westfall coast's murlocs), lvl 18 (afking), lvl 21 (Redrige Mountains' gnolls), lvl 15 (Vagash), lvl 24 (Loch Modan's Horde patrol)