Not exactly stoked on the new high elves.

Stoogeville

Not exactly stoked on the new high elves.

Post by Stoogeville » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:06 am

I'm aware that the models had problems (Not that I'd ever seen one, and I've had plenty of serious problems with bugs that went ignored), but I thought I'd say that I'm just not into the 'new' elf models. In fact, they're everything I was glad to be rid of, and I know I'm not the only one.

There was always something cool about the male high-elf models. They actually looked like elves, unlike the barrel-chested, tiny-haired himbos from TBC - They were slim and slender, with perfectly bouffant hair. It just looked right.

Welp, no longer. The one and only sever that used those models has now gone for the often-derided TBC models.

I doubt they'll return. I know that the Turtle I fell in love with is all but gone, and this is just another slap in the face to remind me. Just wanted to voice my opinion on it, in the hope that a few other people echo my sentiment.

Markuis

Re: Not exactly stoked on the new high elves.

Post by Markuis » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am

Would you mind posting a pic of the new Elves?

Stoogeville

Post by Stoogeville » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Markuis wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to log in since the US players started waking up. I'm guessing you're in the same boat.

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:06 pm

On my client at least, the only thing that changed is voices (and It's great).

There is another post raging about "new animations" but I don't know what he is talking about.

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:09 pm

Yeah this is not a good way of doing or fixing things. if you wanna fix 1 thing dont break the other thing right?

This change is inpolite and rude in respect to players who likes the look of their models and chose race correspondingly. No poll no mention in a trickery way.

Probably they werent really happy with race balance so went with the wrost solution, being too lazy to offer some real quality fix... like improving the look of goblins?

Probably more stupid ideas to come, stay tuned, (soon theyll increase FOV so youll be like tunnel vision) this is the directon they choose *sigh*, probably to reapeat the fate of retail wow, slowly corrupt and die, I no longer walk along.

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:11 pm

Well... Can you provide a screenshot, high elves looks exactly the same as before for me. I have a female high elf, didn't change.

Markuis

Post by Markuis » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm

Stoogeville wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm
Markuis wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to log in since the US players started waking up. I'm guessing you're in the same boat.
I'm going to download it again after some months.

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:37 pm

Kyzen wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:11 pm
Well... Can you provide a screenshot, high elves looks exactly the same as before for me. I have a female high elf, didn't change.
Posture, animation, standing idle. For male and female
whor yuo foolin'?
Last edited by Selivanyro on Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:39 pm

For people to understand. But It's subtle indeed.
Female did not change for me though.

Versidue

Post by Versidue » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm

yeah I'm pretty bummed about this change too :(

personally I'd take the buggy old model over the tbc model any day
Skyshot - LVL 60 Immortal High Elf Hunter
Zennik - LVL 20+ Goblin Rogue
Starsoul - LVL 18+ Night Elf Priest
Dyrinn - Hardcore Dwarf Warrior

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:41 pm

Hah subtle my as... this scoliosis though =D

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 pm

Crommush

Post by Crommush » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:14 pm

I'm not a fan either, the old models had issues but I liked their stance and proportions much better.

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:50 pm

Selivanyro wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 pm
Not gonna lie, I prefer the "after".

Kyzen

Post by Kyzen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:55 pm

I never noticed that we were not even using the TBC model in the first place though, so I wouldn't be against going back to the "old" model.

If I could, I would change it for the vanilla high elf model.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Selivanyro wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:09 pm
[long-winded rant about something trivial attempting to disparage all the blood, sweat, and tears the team poured into making sure this update was top quality, and doing so at a time when they are shedding more because the release didn't go the way it should have]
Leave already and quit posting then. You're not offering anything to the community besides negativity, and the community doesn't want you here with that kind of attitude. You can fix it yourselves locally, if you put the time and energy into it instead of whining and throwing a tantrum.
Last edited by Redmagejoe on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 pm

My friends, this is a simple fix on your end. Open patch-W with your friendly mpq editor (I recommend Ladik's MPQ editor), and then open the folder that says Character, and then click on the folder that says Blood Elf. Delete that Blood Elf folder. You then close the mpq and log in and you will have your old high elf models.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 pm

Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Versidue

Post by Versidue » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:25 am

Oh, word? That IS simple!
Might have to get an mpq editor XD

Versidue

Post by Versidue » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:14 am

Kazgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 pm
My friends, this is a simple fix on your end. Open patch-W with your friendly mpq editor (I recommend Ladik's MPQ editor), and then open the folder that says Character, and then click on the folder that says Blood Elf. Delete that Blood Elf folder. You then close the mpq and log in and you will have your old high elf models.
Hell yeah, this worked like a charm :D
Thanks very much for the guide

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:48 am

[/quote]

Leave already and quit posting then. You're not offering anything to the community besides negativity, and the community doesn't want you here
[/quote]
dONT
you worry
soon Ill show what I CAN !
Last edited by Selivanyro on Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:02 am

Kazgrim wrote:
this is a simple fix on your end. Open patch-W ....
And... Orc saves the day! Well Thank you.
By chance I had a MPQEitor at hand laying around since TBC retail times.
Excuse me, Now I'm off to enjoy the patch at fullest ! sad_turtle_head

Geojak
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Geojak » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:27 am

i also prefered to old modles but, if we use this fix khazgrim, i assume once more we loose being able to sit. probably that was devs main reason to change the model, becuase they couldnt fix the missing animations i pressume

Crommush

Post by Crommush » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:48 pm

I think the old models made high elves stand out from the TBC ones, they had a flair unique to them. It would be a shame to lose them just for an animation issue...

Grandyman

Post by Grandyman » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:09 pm

The heads and faces are also bigger as well. Rolled two HE males which are now high level (one hardcore) and now I just flat out don't like how they look. A ton of time invested for the characters that are just not what I signed up for anymore and it feels bad.

I liked how they used to look way more than the Blizzard BE's. The slimmer look felt unique to the server and I loved that. Now they're quite literally just ripped straight from Blizzard 1:1 but the eye color is different.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:36 pm

The more I look at them, the more I dislike the models too. My highelf doesn't look same

Torta
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Torta » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:32 pm

We're going to address this after fixing game-breaking class bugs :) We're not ignoring this one.

Stoogeville

Post by Stoogeville » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:45 am

Versidue wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm
yeah I'm pretty bummed about this change too :(

personally I'd take the buggy old model over the tbc model any day
I'm assuming the devs made the switch without asking anybody (except for each other), and then threw in a kneejerk, "b-but they were a tiny bit borked :(", As a way to say that they're always right, and neither care nor intend to ever go back no matter what people actually want.

Kazgrim wrote:
I will try this as soon as I get on Twow again. You are an honest-to-god angel, my friend.

Stoogeville

Post by Stoogeville » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:48 am

Torta wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:32 pm
We're going to address this after fixing game-breaking class bugs :) We're not ignoring this one.
Did you always intend to? Or is it due to the blowback?

:)

Gurky

Post by Gurky » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:28 am

Stoogeville wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:48 am
Torta wrote:

My thing is does this matter? The change was made due to the old model having graphical bugs caused by the client which is out of their control. So they made the change so they could fix some of the other things with sitting animations and a lot more.

I get you are frustrated but at the end of the day they realized a select few people are interested in the old model and will look into a alternative where both outcomes from both sides are happy.

They are willing to work on this and Torta stated so, so there is no reason to be rude or cocky toward the team. Until they have an alternative please use the workaround suggested already by another player in the forums.

Stoogeville

Post by Stoogeville » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:51 am

Gurky wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:28 am
Stoogeville wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:48 am
Torta wrote:

My thing is does this matter? The change was made due to the old model having graphical bugs caused by the client which is out of their control. So they made the change so they could fix some of the other things with sitting animations and a lot more.

I get you are frustrated but at the end of the day they realized a select few people are interested in the old model and will look into a alternative where both outcomes from both sides are happy.

They are willing to work on this and Torta stated so, so there is no reason to be rude or cocky toward the team. Until they have an alternative please use the workaround suggested already by another player in the forums.
You do realize that comment I was responding to was passive-aggressive, right? Not as much as mine, but I don't try to hide my intent or attitude behind pseudo-polite language. My original comment about the team's apathy was made before I saw Torta's response, too; I honestly didn't expect a response, let alone a hopeful one. So, I apologise for that.

I was perfectly fine with the old model, warts and all. I can understand the need of those bugs to be fixed, but I simply can't understand why we weren't consulted with how easy it is to poll opinions. They so rarely do, and it's astounding. I also won't start an argument on how many people dislike the BE models, but I hardly believe it's "a select few".

This is part of my problem with how the development works! The team decides internally to do something, they do it, people are unhappy, and they're forced to throw it on the backlog for another year - when they could've simply waited until they had a real solution, and THEN put in the effort to impliment it. Nothing would've spiralled out of control if they'd left the models as they are, until they had the fix that we're now hearing they intend to do.

I appreciate your understanding, but anybody can see that there's no reason this issue (like so, so many other ones with Turtle WoW) couldn't have been approached in a much better way.

Measure twice, cut once - not measure never, cut whenever.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:42 am

I wasn't going to say anything here, but the dismissive language used by Gurky, whose glowing, green name indicates a direct affiliation with Turtle Team, caught my eye.
Gurky wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:28 am
My thing is does this matter?
Did you read the 30-ish posts that came before Stoogeville's? If you had, you'd note that amongst the bewildered questions of "something changed?", several individuals stepped forward and expressed their confusion or aggravation. Some even felt a little betrayed by this unannounced and unwanted change.
The change was made due to the old model having graphical bugs caused by the client which is out of their control.
You're telling me that Turtle Team doesn't actually have a model artist or programmer? There's no one that knows how to work with 3D graphics or adjust the skeletons and rigs there-of? Or no one who can poke around in the code and adjust things manually? Somehow, I find that incredibly hard to believe considering some of the feats that have been achieved with Turtle WoW.
I get you are frustrated […]
So you decided to add to it by telling Stoogeville, specifically, that no one cares?
[…] but at the end of the day they realized a select few people are interested in the old model and will look into a alternative where both outcomes from both sides are happy.
You're saying that, on the one hand, it's impossible to fix the old models. But on this other hand, here, you're also saying that they are going to try and cooking something up?

Are you just guessing at this point?
[…] there is no reason to be rude or cocky toward the team.
But it's okay for you, a member of the extended team, to be completely dismissive? I see.

You know what? I take back what I've been saying. If this is the kind of communication that Turtle Team approves of and encourages, I think I'd rather not hear it. It's about half a step up from "lol kek git a lif u nerd".

I really expect much better from an official representative. Seriously.
Last edited by Jolikmc on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Versidue

Post by Versidue » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:50 am

Torta wrote:
That is genuinely great to hear :D

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:48 am

Can you calm down stoogevile...?

Thank you for looking into this torta!!

Gurky

Post by Gurky » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:22 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:42 am
I wasn't going to say anything here, but the dismissive language used by Gurky, whose glowing, green name indicates a direct affiliation with Turtle Team, caught my eye.
Ok, ok, hold up I think we are getting off to the wrong thing here and stuff is being misunderstood with my text.
Jolikmc wrote:
Did you read the 30-ish posts that came before Stoogeville's? If you had, you'd note that amongst the bewildered questions of "something changed?", several individuals stepped forward and expressed their confusion or aggravation. Some even felt a little betrayed by this unannounced and unwanted change.
My does it matter was a direct reply to the "Did you always intend to? Or is it due to the blowback?" that Stoogeville said and has nothing to do with not caring about the model itself. I don't think it's relevant why Tortas made the decision but what matters is that the outcry was heard and is willing to do something about it.
Jolikmc wrote:
You're telling me that Turtle Team doesn't actually have a model artist or programmer? There's no one that knows how to work with 3D graphics or adjust the skeletons and rigs there-of? Or no one who can poke around in the code and adjust things manually? Somehow, I find that incredibly hard to believe considering some of the feats that have been achieved with Turtle WoW.
As for model editing, the change was made due to limitations of the vanilla client this is something that no matter what is done the old model cannot be fixed to make animations work correctly with the old model. This is unfortunately a client limitation. Also, yes we do not have a 3D artist, those are extremely hard to find so if anyone knows anyone we would be happy to hear from them.
Jolikmc wrote:
So you decided to add to it by telling Stoogeville, specifically, that no one cares?
I understand his frustration and get why he is frustrated I am not sure how this is saying I do not care.
Jolikmc wrote:
You're saying that, on the one hand, it's impossible to fix the old models. But on this other hand, here, you're also saying that they are going to try and cooking something up? Are you just guessing at this point?
The old model can be put back in the game via other means seeing other illusions we have etc but there will still be issues with animations if people choose to use the old model over the new one. I cannot say what their plans are because I do not know the exact plans but if I were to assume it would be something like an illusion or skin or a glyph but as for how they will do it I am just guessing because I am a forum moderator and that is it so I do not get any of this juicy information until a choice is made.
Jolikmc wrote:
But it's okay for you, a member of the extended team, to be completely dismissive? I see.
I am not sure how I am being dismissive here, I would like to see what Torta has in store for this and it is a good idea IMHO to allow both sides to get what they want as I am sure there are players on both sides that like one model over the other.

Just please be patient if Torta said it will happen, it will happen. However, direct replies basically being cheeky to Torta when they are stating something will be done about it I feel is very unconstructive when Torta already said that they will address this after fixing game-breaking class bugs and that we will not ignore this want for the old models back.

I hope this clears up anything from my last post.

Also, Redmagejoe and Stoogeville here is not the place for insults toward each other so please take this elsewhere as this should be a place for safe discussion about the model and not personal attacks.