Please lower or remove the restrictions on transmogrification.

Stoogeville

Re: Please lower or remove the restrictions on transmogrification.

Post by Stoogeville » Sun May 01, 2022 12:30 pm

I'm throwing my lot in here.

A lot of the reasoning for these kind of restrictions, as many of the developer-choices toward similar restrictions, are overly pedantic. Further still, many of them are very specific, and absolutely arbitrary. Why does it seem like pedantry runs so close to the server design?

Like I've mentioned in the discord (and been clearly side-stepped), I cannot even transmog a cloth robe into a cloth chestpiece, or vice-versa - which is the exact kind of situation that transmogs are designed to address! Follow this with the fact that some items actually cross over: vests that have certain robes as transmog choices, for instance.

I understand the need to have lore- and aesthetic-friendly restrictions within the game, but here are two counter-points:
  • This is not a silly server. It is very uncommon for people to do this!. The vast, vast majority of players seem to want these options in order to make their mogs WORK, and look RIGHT; not to make clown mogs. If there was ever a server you could trust people to be smart with their mogging, Turtle WoW is it.
  • There are already plenty of lore-unfriendly, aesthetic-unfriendly things everywhere! Nogginfogger elixirs, disguises, illusions... You can be a human pirate or worgen running around Orgrimmar, an ogre in Stormwind, or a gnoll sitting in Redridge tavern! What exactly are we preserving, at this point?

Trying to force an aesthetic value on this community, at this point, is absolutely foolish. Just give the players the choice, for goodness sake. This isn't a Blizzard project - you have the freedom to let players do the things they want, and we ought to have enough faith in the server culture to let go of our anxiety over these things. I just wish I wasn't always seeing devs and particular naysayers arguing against the simple, inoffensive wishes of the broader community.

Apimius

Post by Apimius » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:33 am

I agree, please let vests be transmogged into robes.

Sardes

Post by Sardes » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:28 am

Apimius wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:33 am
If this is imposible to do, we know that we can transmog vest to custom robe. So, please make custom robes with all models, just like you did with invisible shoulders. You can even make it cost a lot of money to make a way to remove gold from realm.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am

Sardes wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:28 am
Apimius wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:33 am
If this is imposible to do, we know that we can transmog vest to custom robe. So, please make custom robes with all models, just like you did with invisible shoulders. You can even make it cost a lot of money to make a way to remove gold from realm.
It is not impossible. We were able to transmog robes to vests and vice versa under the old transmog system. The only restriction in the new system that was in the old one is main hand, off hand, and one hand being separate, which we were told was a tech limitation that they could not fix, but have since been informed on the discord that they will fix it, so that was less impossible than they originally stated.

That is a good change, of course, but it is a drop in the ocean of bad decisions in the new transmog system. Please let us have the freedom we had in the old one.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:47 am

Remove restrictions
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Meownaa

Post by Meownaa » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:49 pm

After reading through this and learning it was once possible, I wholeheartedly support your arguments.
The excitement when transmog was announced changed to disappointment quite quickly realizing how far out of reach it was, I'd appreciate it as a immersive element for everyone. (And let's be honest, the low level characters need it most ;) )

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:44 pm

Shameless bump with the reminder that we were able to transmog anything we could get our hands on, which allowed for as much customization as we wanted (barring fringe cases like t0.5 and t3, which you could not get as another class - on that note, by the way, I would recommend an alternate quest to get cosmetic copies of those tier sets for transmog for other classes :D); if you could loot it, you could (pretend to) wear it. My priest wore plate, because lorewise she was a paladin who attacked from range; mechanically that's impossible, so smite priest it was. My warrior wore cloth robes, because she was a nomadic fighter-priest out to protect the world, and by extension, her tribe. We were not pigeonholed into narrow views of what a character should be based on their class; I wish for a return to those days. ;^;

Mages could transmog their robes to vests if they did not like dresses, or even armor. Warriors could transmog their armor to robes, or even hide their chest slot to be a badass archetypical barbarian. And so could everyone else; it wasn't limited by your class, after all. Customization was at the forefront, and very few people made intentionally silly sets. And you know what? Who cares even if they do? They can do silly sets now; there's more bondage armor in leather or bikini chain in mail than you can shake a kinky stick at, after all. But who cares? I can't have my warrior be a nomadic warrior-priest because a mage might wear leather bondage straps instead of a rogue? Nuts to that, let people have fun.

Another complaint I've heard from people when I bring up the old system is the idea that letting, say, warriors transmog druid tier will encourage warriors to take druid tier from druids. To this I say, if a warrior is taking druid tier from a druid, find a better group. We had the old transmog system for months and not once did anyone take a piece for transmog that someone else needed for actual stats. People who take an upgrade from someone else for transmog are the same people who would take it to vendor; ditch them. But don't make it impossible to vendor unwanted gear because someone might take it from someone who could use it, and don't make it impossible to transmog another class's tier set for the same.

Transmog was amazing, and it can be again. <3

Jambiya

Post by Jambiya » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:31 am

Is the system they have now (with the separate ui and equipment saving) built on the same framework as the original xmog? I remember there was some bug or another with the original hence the rework.

Personally I agree with you, more freedom is more fun. I guess once the next update is out the devs will have more time to tackle stuff like this.

Meownaa

Post by Meownaa » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:10 am

Again, fully backing Qixel.
Freedom is fun, have faith in the players. If there are programming issues it is how it is, but if it's possible to return to the old system, it would be amazing for the rp community old and new.

Sardes

Post by Sardes » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:15 am

Almost all casters are wearing bloodvine set (warlocks have to wear it till nax), which is awful looking one, especialy vest. And we can not transmog vest to anything exept other vests or custom maded robes. Please, if it is hard to allow transmog vests to all standart robes, just make custom white robes with all models. It is easy and a lot of players will be greatful to you.

Dakkashagga

Post by Dakkashagga » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:34 pm

aye i agree, if they remove restrictions on transmog i can rp as my dwarf barbarian character while wearing my class sets