Some quest texts could use a second pass.

Jubling

Some quest texts could use a second pass.

Post by Jubling » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:34 pm

The quests added by turtle wow are very neat and a welcome addition, however, the quest text often leaves a little to be desired. For example the quest Further Studies from Nessa Shadowsong asks you to kill crawlers for samples.

All the quest states is: "Fascinating... I wonder if such changes may cause other creatures in the food chain to be affected. I think it is a matter worth studying further! But for that I would need samples of something larger... Ah, crabs! Yes. I believe we could find something new if we study those crustaceans."

The objective doesn't offer much more help: Gather 10 Crustacean Carcasses from crabs in Darkshore, then return to Nessa Shadowsong in Rut'theran Village.

(It also calls them crabs which seems odd? But I acknowledge that is at least easily understandable.)

The text at no point mentions which crawlers you need, there are about 6 varieties of crawler in Darkshore, and two of them drop the item, not at 100% rate, so without looking into the database you're left completely blind. I feel like googling every quest added really isn't the vibe Turtle wow is going for. I think the teams doing a great job adding quests, but think it would help slot more seamlessly into the base game if a bit more care was put into what details can be mined from quest text.

Trangoul

Re: Some quest texts could use a second pass.

Post by Trangoul » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:12 pm

Jubling wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:34 pm
The text at no point mentions which crawlers you need, there are about 6 varieties of crawler in Darkshore, and two of them drop the item, not at 100% rate, so without looking into the database you're left completely blind.
A partial solution (for this kind of quests): if the description is vague, instead of making it exact, make all creature varieties (in a zone) drop quest items, with different drop rates (the stronger the creature, the higher the drop).
This would also make questing by an overleveled character less tedious, as one could seek higher level creatures in a zone (more challenge and less kills).
Last edited by Trangoul on Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geojak
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Geojak » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:14 pm

Yeah I had the exact same problem. Not knowing which drops and which don't coppeled with low drop chance. Had to look it up too on dB.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:21 am

I've made a new post where you can relay any feedback and corrections for custom quests.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2654
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:53 am

I really would encourage a native speaker to provide final polish, and one known for advanced writing skills. This is not to say the original ideas of the quests are poor, but the final execution is at times wanting.

I appreciate that you've provided that link, Gheor. I am sure it will all continue to improve.

Duvel

Post by Duvel » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:27 am

Same problem with this quest. I took it, read it, and found it too vague.
So I just killed every crab I crossed, and no one ever dropped the thing. I thus abandoned the quest.
Yes I could have looked into the DB, but that isn't how it should goes.
Some people like searching themselves in game (like killing 5-10 of each crab in Darkshore), others HATES that. I belong to the latter category, like I think the majority of players.

Aurkanthis

Post by Aurkanthis » Wed May 22, 2024 5:57 am

So, do we know which crabs drop the item for this quest?