Custom Quests Feedback

Gheor

Custom Quests Feedback

Post by Gheor » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:17 am

As per request in the lore section of the Discord server, here's the post.

You can go ahead and report any kind of issue you have with a custom quest here, I will try to correct everything that is truly wrong but I will not spend time on personal nitpicks.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Dwstar

Re: Custom Quests Feedback.

Post by Dwstar » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:38 am

Quest chain in Ashenvale that ends with killing a dread lord in the barrow den inside Demon Fall Canyon (quest: The Seeker's Demise). If i got the quest chain correctly, Diathorus the Seeker should be elite with high stats, or somehow invincible, and after we see him first time, we are going to the witch doctor to find a way to kill him.
There must be some active item that you recieve for the last stage of this chain that makes him weak and killable.
But there is no such item and Seeker himself is a relatively weak with around 1500 hp and even not elite. This is definitely a bug. I mean, why worry and run around with all this troll mojo, if you can just kill him by accident (as i did). I waited until respawn, thought maybe someone already weakened him, but no, he is still the same.

Jubling

Post by Jubling » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:35 am

Further Studies from Nessa Shadowsong in Rutheran Village needs to be written to spell out which crawlers actually can drop the quest item, she only says 'crabs' when there are 6 variations of crawler in Darkshore (and according to the DB only two of those drop the item.)

Also a minor inconsequential nitpick while I'm here, she should call them crawlers not crabs, it would be like calling crockolisks crocodiles, it's small but a warcrafty twist to the fauna of the world.

Sinrek
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Sinrek » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:03 pm

Jubling wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:35 am
Further Studies from Nessa Shadowsong in Rutheran Village needs to be written to spell out which crawlers actually can drop the quest item, she only says 'crabs' when there are 6 variations of crawler in Darkshore (and according to the DB only two of those drop the item.)

Also a minor inconsequential nitpick while I'm here, she should call them crawlers not crabs, it would be like calling crockolisks crocodiles, it's small but a warcrafty twist to the fauna of the world.
According to Nessa's quests her knowledge, while significant, is not complete. Plus "crabs" term is universal and may relate even to makrura species. It is part of the quest for players to find out which drop those and which do not.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Jubling

Post by Jubling » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:41 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:03 pm
Jubling wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:35 am

According to Nessa's quests her knowledge, while significant, is not complete. Plus "crabs" term is universal and may relate even to makrura species. It is part of the quest for players to find out which drop those and which do not.
Her knowledge should be adequate enough to identify a creature she interacts with daily, I don't think it would be strange for her to say "I need samples, the smaller crawlers, such as THIS TYPE and THIS TYPE, would probably be the best specimens." As it stands you run up and down a beach for a non 100% drop unsure if you're doing the quest right, that doesn't create a satisfying experience of discovery, it pushes you towards looking it up in the data base to make sure you're doing it right.

Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:44 pm

Jubling wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:41 pm
I don't think it would be strange for her to say "I need samples, the smaller crawlers, such as THIS TYPE and THIS TYPE, would probably be the best specimens."
That seems like a very minor, easy change that would clear up any confusion, and it's in line with how many quests are written, both custom and original.

Geojak
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Geojak » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:29 pm

Hello, the new hinterlands elite alliance kill quests that ask to kill 4x20 elite trolls is just a bit over the top.

My hole group was complaining. And we took hours, longer than a dungeon run.

I would kindly ask you to consider lowering the required kills to something around 12-15 per each.

Secondly the second New kill quests for the priestess and 20 guards has a tipo in the quest objects. It has a wrong (20) there so quest tra King will show
Kill... Guards(20) 0/20

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:49 pm

2 new Ashenvale quests:

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40120
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40121

are marked as level 13. It's way too low.

The first one requires the player to slay Ghostpaws of level 19-20 and the second one requires the player to slay the level 22 Ghoststalker.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:33 am

They were marked as lvl 27 first, which was changed after I reported that on github as too high now we are at the other extreme.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:28 am

Geojak wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:29 pm
Hello, the new hinterlands elite alliance kill quests that ask to kill 4x20 elite trolls is just a bit over the top.

My hole group was complaining. And we took hours, longer than a dungeon run.

I would kindly ask you to consider lowering the required kills to something around 12-15 per each.
That quest is just the Alliance version of a non-custom Horde quest that was in vanilla, and they have to kill 20 each as well. It's meant to be an open world dungeon quest that takes you a while to complete.

Geojak

Re: Custom Quests Feedback

Post by Geojak » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:51 pm

Ah OK, I don't pla, horde. Didn't know its same. Guess then this is blizzlike experience

Allwynd01
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:24 pm

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=70048

Yesterday I spent a good 30-40 minutes walking around like an imbecile in all three oases and did not find any herbs.

IMO that quest is pretty bad. It would've been much better if next to her there was a flower pot with each of the plants on display and some quest text, such as:

"I've managed to gather a few of each, but they just aren't enough and those oases are too dangerous for me to venture in, here, take a look at them so that you know what you need to be keeping an eye out for when you get there."

I just gave up on that quest, abandoned and will never bother doing it again.

Another quest in The Barrens is the one with the shining on the mountain south of Ratchet.

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=80395

I literally had to look it up for more information. Luckily there was a video of the quest so I was able to do it.

The problem with both quests is poor descriptions of the objectives. For the second quest "A Glittering Opportunity" the description says " There seems to be a ramp up just outside Ratchet, some raptors call the thing home though". When I read the word "ramp", I first thought of the place south of Ratchet, along the coast where there are pirates and road up the mountain with a fence and lamp posts. That is my imagination of what a ramp is.

I don't claim to be a native English speaker, but I've only been practicing English for 25 years and this is the first time I hear the word "ramp" describing a natural formation on a mountain. I don't claim to be correct, but I'm 100% sure there could've been a better way to describe this.

Some of those custom quests suffer from this problem - poor descriptions of objectives. I think the problem stems from the creators (which also applies for some wannabe game developers) who create things from their perspective and with their amount of knowledge in mind, but not the amount of knowledge (or lack thereof) of the person experiencing this content (be it a custom quest or a game or whatever), so this results in players being confused as to what they are supposed to do.

I have played WoW since 2006, back then my English was a lot worse and I had no idea add-ons even existed, especially ones for quest markers and whatnot so I literally had to read all my quest objectives and figure out what to do and where to go. And let me tell you, not in a single instance there has been a case that I did not where to go or what to do. There may have been stronger mobs, or elites and me being too much of a noob to know how to handle them, but never an issue with information or directions for that matter.

I think most of these custom quests need to be revised on their description of their objectives.

Dwstar

Post by Dwstar » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:05 pm

Another quest that suffers from poor description - https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40298 (Red Skies of Durotar)
First, it says the wyvern chewing toy was left somewhere in Thunder Bluff. I searched through all of the city. Every corner. No luck. How should i know it spawns on the table in the inn 10 meters away from quest giver (in Durotar)? It's anti-intuitive. And i think the same problem is with the alliance version of this quest. Every day i see at least 2-3 people who ask about toy's location in the Newcomers guild chat.
Second, until you finish it, you have no idea what you get in the end. I thought it will open a flight path for you, or something like this.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:25 pm

I must agree with the battens complain. The plants in the oasis, and thaz small red glitter stone. It's incredible hard to find. Much more than anything blizzard quest expected. For both me and my wife had to ask for tipps

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:45 am

Dwstar wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:05 pm
Another quest that suffers from poor description - https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40298 (Red Skies of Durotar)
First, it says the wyvern chewing toy was left somewhere in Thunder Bluff. I searched through all of the city. Every corner. No luck. How should i know it spawns on the table in the inn 10 meters away from quest giver (in Durotar)? It's anti-intuitive. And i think the same problem is with the alliance version of this quest. Every day i see at least 2-3 people who ask about toy's location in the Newcomers guild chat.
Second, until you finish it, you have no idea what you get in the end. I thought it will open a flight path for you, or something like this.
So not delivering all details on a silver platter is anti-intuitive. Since when do quests need to tell you the exact area you need for the objective to be complete?
You forget these quests exist in Vanilla too, you're just too used to the Questie or pfQuest.

The quest also mentions it will take you for a ride, not give you a flight point.
-

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:48 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:24 pm
https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=70048

Yesterday I spent a good 30-40 minutes walking around like an imbecile in all three oases and did not find any herbs.

IMO that quest is pretty bad. It would've been much better if next to her there was a flower pot with each of the plants on display and some quest text, such as:

"I've managed to gather a few of each, but they just aren't enough and those oases are too dangerous for me to venture in, here, take a look at them so that you know what you need to be keeping an eye out for when you get there."

I just gave up on that quest, abandoned and will never bother doing it again.

Another quest in The Barrens is the one with the shining on the mountain south of Ratchet.

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=80395

I literally had to look it up for more information. Luckily there was a video of the quest so I was able to do it.

The problem with both quests is poor descriptions of the objectives. For the second quest "A Glittering Opportunity" the description says " There seems to be a ramp up just outside Ratchet, some raptors call the thing home though". When I read the word "ramp", I first thought of the place south of Ratchet, along the coast where there are pirates and road up the mountain with a fence and lamp posts. That is my imagination of what a ramp is.

I don't claim to be a native English speaker, but I've only been practicing English for 25 years and this is the first time I hear the word "ramp" describing a natural formation on a mountain. I don't claim to be correct, but I'm 100% sure there could've been a better way to describe this.

Some of those custom quests suffer from this problem - poor descriptions of objectives. I think the problem stems from the creators (which also applies for some wannabe game developers) who create things from their perspective and with their amount of knowledge in mind, but not the amount of knowledge (or lack thereof) of the person experiencing this content (be it a custom quest or a game or whatever), so this results in players being confused as to what they are supposed to do.

I have played WoW since 2006, back then my English was a lot worse and I had no idea add-ons even existed, especially ones for quest markers and whatnot so I literally had to read all my quest objectives and figure out what to do and where to go. And let me tell you, not in a single instance there has been a case that I did not where to go or what to do. There may have been stronger mobs, or elites and me being too much of a noob to know how to handle them, but never an issue with information or directions for that matter.

I think most of these custom quests need to be revised on their description of their objectives.
We'd be grateful for an actual solution too, I will message Tamamo about these quests since he made them, maybe you have something in your mind to correct the misinformation.
-

Dwstar

Post by Dwstar » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Gheor wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:45 am
Dwstar wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:05 pm
So not delivering all details on a silver platter is anti-intuitive. Since when do quests need to tell you the exact area you need for the objective to be complete?
You forget these quests exist in Vanilla too, you're just too used to the Questie or pfQuest.

The quest also mentions it will take you for a ride, not give you a flight point.
I cant remember any vanilla quests that misguided you to fly to another location in search of something that is not there. Providing adequate search criteria is not equal to "delivering details on a silver plate". Just change the text to "please, find chew toy replacement somewhere, maybe ask a butcher" and people won't go to TB in search for it.

Afaslizo

Post by Afaslizo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Just add "from around here" after "new toy" and nobody would complain.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:42 pm

Gheor wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:48 am

We'd be grateful for an actual solution too, I will message Tamamo about these quests since he made them, maybe you have something in your mind to correct the misinformation.
I already provided a solution in my post:
Allwynd01 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:24 pm

It would've been much better if next to her there was a flower pot with each of the plants on display and some quest text, such as:

Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:34 pm

The wyvern are native to Kalimdor and they can be found throughout several Horde lands. They have proven to be loyal companions for our wind riders. I remember the days when we first ensued the help of these beautiful creatures, in truth they have been gifts from the Earthmother to tighten the bond between the Tauren tribes and the Orcs that followed Thrall, it's not an exaggeration to say that without them the Horde wouldn't be where they are today. Bristlefur here is already tame, it will not attack you so let that thought go away. The truth is the poor girl seems to be bored and it also acts like hunger might be overwhelming her, and there might be the fact I did forget her favourite chewing bone back in Thunder Bluff. If you have the time, young <race>, I am more than sure she will take you to the skies if you were to find her a new toy and some food to sate her hunger.
I can see how the first underlined part could confuse players into thinking they need to find the chew toy in Thunder Bluff, but the second underlined part does state you need to find a new one.

My suggestion would be removing the words "back in Thunder Bluff" from the quest's text.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Mac wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:34 pm
The wyvern are native to Kalimdor and they can be found throughout several Horde lands. They have proven to be loyal companions for our wind riders. I remember the days when we first ensued the help of these beautiful creatures, in truth they have been gifts from the Earthmother to tighten the bond between the Tauren tribes and the Orcs that followed Thrall, it's not an exaggeration to say that without them the Horde wouldn't be where they are today. Bristlefur here is already tame, it will not attack you so let that thought go away. The truth is the poor girl seems to be bored and it also acts like hunger might be overwhelming her, and there might be the fact I did forget her favourite chewing bone back in Thunder Bluff. If you have the time, young <race>, I am more than sure she will take you to the skies if you were to find her a new toy and some food to sate her hunger.
I can see how the first underlined part could confuse players into thinking they need to find the chew toy in Thunder Bluff, but the second underlined part does state you need to find a new one.

My suggestion would be removing the words "back in Thunder Bluff" from the quest's text.

You think that's the factor or misguided travel?
I honestly never intended to send anyone anywhere, that's why there was the mention of a new toy and never mentioned an exact place in Thunderbluff, I suppose it can be interpreted differently.
-

Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Gheor wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:18 pm
You think that's the factor or misguided travel?
I honestly never intended to send anyone anywhere, that's why there was the mention of a new toy and never mentioned an exact place in Thunderbluff, I suppose it can be interpreted differently.
I think that might be what's causing it. I never had the issue with it myself personally, but then again I had done the Alliance version of the quest first so I figured the bone would be somewhere nearby.

Blaut

Post by Blaut » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:53 pm

The sheep's quests at Elwynn forest is just some kind of wank. I understand that the idea was to do these quests along with everything else in the location. But looks more like a stupid grind. The other custom quests look like something Blizzard could have created. The sheep quests don't.

Mcnair

Post by Mcnair » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:29 pm

I would like to mention that some of the quests in Tirisfal Highlands go against all that is Vanilla, and are like they were taken from late Retail.
It is an area for ~lvl14-20, and yet the quests talk about the character as a one man army, to defeat alone stuff that the local militia/army could not even attempt. Please change the narrative here, and change it a lot. We are not the demigods of Retail, soloing armies and invasions and whatnot, but a small cog in a big machine, doing our part. We are not leaders, we are not supersoldiers, please leave that narrative to Retail.

N0l

Post by N0l » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:18 pm

Tirisfal Uplands General Feedback (Spoilers, if you care about quest spoilers):

So I'm writing up a general feedback post on Tirisfal Uplands. Nothing was wrong with the quests in a design sense - I was never tripped up on objectives, the bugs I encountered were unrelated to the quests themselves, and the overall experience was solid. So as far as the "truly wrong" goes, I don't have anything, and I'm not looking for things to be changed as much to offer feedback for consideration when designing future quests and areas.

Design:
Tirisfal Uplands slots fantastically into the Silverpine/Horde EK leveling experience, and makes it so that Forsaken players (and anyone who wants to level in Forsaken zones) isn't forced to knock out a few levels in Barrens to make up for the lack of quests in Silverpine. The quests are straight-forward and the nonelite quests easy to solo. Its all great stuff, and the mobs are all well-designed with sensible abilities.

Lore:
This is where I think things fall flat. It isn't that the lore is bad - there's no glaring inconsistencies or mistakes, its just boring. I was excited to hit the Tirisfal Uplands custom content because I know the server has some of its own lore and takes on the WC setting, and I wanted to see how it approached custom forsaken content - but the zone itself is a pretty droll, totally by-the-books Forsaken area that doesn't really introduce any new lore or concepts or push the envelope at all.

The Lordaeron remnants and Darlthos box stories were especially disappointing. I was hoping there'd be something more with the remnants then the Forsaken just giving a few "Kill X people" quests. Not diplomacy, of course, but even just a little musing on how these are (quite literally, in one quest) the living family, friends, and etc of the Forsaken who are fighting them. The Darlthos box questline is just mildly boring and disappointing. Run around trying to get a box unlocked, receive reward for it. Story-wise its practically a copy of the Barov questline (Getting a forsaken who's in competition with their human family proof of owning land), just with more fedexing.

The Rogue Heights questline is an exception to my complaints. Its quick, compact, focused in the Rogue Heights subzone, and while its not especially interesting or "wild", it did keep me engaged and enjoying the story around it. It helped that the questgiver clearly had a personal bone to pick with the Rogue Wizards (and he both explicitly says that and makes it clear).

Non-Quest Related Feedback:

Just on some general zone feedback: It needs an inn and it needs to be more convenient to get to. I'm not sure if FPs and Inn placements are things that are outside of the technical capabilities in TWoW, but if not, Uplands desperately needs one of its buildings to count as an inn. A more convenient way to get to/from it (especially since you can't set your hearth there) would also be a huge boon - even if it only worked for certain quests (say, a portal to UC/Sepulcher that an NPC spawns during certain quests). As-is, my biggest issue with the zone is just how far away it is from both the Sepulcher and the UC, because it requires you to either enter via the top of Tirisfal or all the way into Silverpine. I understand vanilla isn't "convenient", but the Barrens has 3 FPs by comparison!

Overall:

Overall, I'm impressed. I like Uplands, I like what its doing, I like where it is and how it "plugs into" the Horde EK leveling experience. I hope future custom content pushes the envelope on lore more - I want to be inspired by TWoW's custom content, and while Uplands was solid, it was never inspiring to me. It didn't make me want to play a Forsaken who dealt closely with the events there.

Widogast

Post by Widogast » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:06 pm

Hawk's Vigil Feedback:

•Story:
The main story of the subzone follows an investigation into strange and powerful dark magic that has begun to take root and catch the eyes of the mages in the area as well as the Lord-Commander of Hawk's Vigil following all the way through the conclusion to routing out the presence and killing them. The overall story itself is really nice and does a good job of showcasing how dedicated the refugees of Lordaeron are to maintaining their freedom and not letting events repeat themselves but there's a few beats that don't ever really come to fruition.

We're told that Harlus Ashbuckle / Martin Corinth is this evil magic practitioner and that Duke Ramon III of the House of Nobles got him free from the Stockades and then was banished from Stormwind to live out his days north in Menethil Harbor or wherever he settled.

We are never shown that this person is committing any wrongdoing by simply existing here, and when he is confronted we get...
Executed?! Do you know who it is you speak to? Do you know who it is you're threatening? I shall destroy you and all others who try to stop me!
Clearly Martin Corinth is a bad guy and up to something, but even by the end of the quest we have absolutely no clue what that something is, and by that token neither do any of the people involved in the quest line, not even SI:7. All of the details from our investigation, even that which we recovered from the Stockades suggests that Duke Ramon was helping out a family friend, not assisting some greater plot or scheme. So we ultimately have no idea what we're going after Harlus Ashbuckle / Martin Corinth for, other than suspicions and people getting spooky feelings.

Beyond this, we're introduced early in the story to Robb Dursley of the SI:7 who has been specifically assigned to investigate both Hawk's Vigil and Harlus Ashbuckle and once we meet with him to take his report to Master Mathias Shaw in Stormwind, he is never heard from again for the quest line. Robb Dursley should be our main point of contact after we meet with his superior and dig into the Stockades for the reason of story flow, in my opinion. During this time period, players have only vaguely interacted with the leadership of Stormwind for quests related to the Defias and such, and I think things would flow better - even for the story - if they focused back on Robb Dursley after working with Mathias Shaw to get the information from the Stockades. Afterwards, you report back to Robb Dursley with the information, dig into Martin Corinth's activities in the Wetlands and his later setting up shop in Hawk's Vigil. But this is just an opinion of the detail rather than a firm critique, so that's not really that big of a deal. I also don't mind having to go back-and-forth to Stormwind all that much: it's just a quick flight but I was more concerned with the story itself.

After investigating the Stockades, Master Mathias Shaw sends us back to Menethil Harbor to follow up on a lead for what happened to Martin Corinth after he was banished from Stormwind by the House of Nobles:
To Duke Ramon III, Thanks again for everything you've done. I am keeping myself safe and a bit under the radar since I have left Stormwind. I know the SI:7 may keep tabs on me, but I am making sure not to make myself overly noticed and mostly keeping to my room. Your support has been instrumental and has saved my life from that wretched stockade. My uncle would have been proud to have called you a great friend, I hope to hear from you soon. I am unsure when I will be leaving this place. A friend, Martin Corinth.
This is the damning evidence by which we discover that Duke Ramon III has been involved in getting Martin Corinth released from the stockades and banished from the kingdom, which Mathias Shaw concludes isn't really an abuse of power that was expected but appears to be someone helping out a family friend. He concludes that there's really no need to follow up on this lead anymore and pulls his agents off of the case, so this could be why we never report back to Robb Dursley. Mathias' Letter quest where he states this fact: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=55224.

However, the quest then sends you back to Hawk's Vigil with a letter from Mathias Shaw condemning Harlus Ashbuckle / Martin Corinth to death under terms of suspicion of using forbidden magic:
Dear Lord Commander Ryke, I have entrusted the bearer of this envelope to deliver this message. The man of whom you are investigating, Harlus Ashbuckle, is operating under a false name. His real name is that of Martin Corinth who hailed from Lordaeron and escaped at the onset of the Third War. Martin was from a rich family and had many connections to the nobility in Stormwind. One such connection saved Martin from being executed in Stormwind for both the murder of innocents and practicing forbidden magic. If there is foul magic that plagues Hawk's Vigil, I would have it under my suspicion that he is responsible. Martin Corinth, upon being exiled from Stormwind as was the "terms" of his release from imprisonment, was to abandon all dark arts within the realms of the Alliance. I give you the judication of Stormwind to dispense justice to this man. It has been a long time coming. Free your lands of any darkness he may eventually bring to it. Master Mathias Shaw, Leader of the SI:7
Small thing but the letter should just start with Lord Commander Ryke, rather than Dear Lord Commander Ryke. Mathias Shaw doesn't have time for pleasantries.

Upon reading this letter, upon looking at all of the evidence, and just hearing about spooky magic in the area - we then go on to execute Harlus Ashbuckle / Martin Corinth. He claims that he will destroy anyone who tries to stop him... but from what? We have absolutely no idea what he's up to or even hoping to accomplish in Hawk's Vigil or why he suddenly decided to start being overt about his practices even though he KNOWS that he's under watch from SI:7.

At the very least, between the letter that we receive from Mathias Shaw and the execution of Harlus Ashbuckle / Martin Corinth there needs to be some sort of inciting incident to confirm the suspicions of foul magic, other than people just feeling spooky feelings: a necromantic circle with a book somewhere out in the woods, a couple of corpses dug up from the graveyard and a zombie being found, etc. It doesn't need to be something huge, just something to confirm what Mathias Shaw is saying.

•Design:
There was only one problem with the overall quest design that I had while in Hawk's Vigil and it was during the quest "Preparations for Adventure!" The quest asks:
Hello there friend! Have you seen the world? Have you explored all of the nooks and crannies of Azeroth and truly taken in its beauty? I don't think any soul has, but the very prospect of it is enticing, no? I am preparing for a trip to see the world and I still need supplies, one of which, is torches. The oozes to the north around Ironbeard's Tomb have been something I've used in the past as a sort of tar to light my torches with. Get me 5 Sticky Ooze-Tar from those oozes, and 5 Simple Wood from any trade vendor.
Simple enough! Except that when I was out doing the quests, myself and everyone in Wetlands at the time had no idea what oozes we were meant to kill at Ironbeard's Tomb. The quest tells people to go around the tomb, which there's plenty of oozes around the area labeled Ironbeard's Tomb and none of them drop the sticky-tar ooze. Many of us sat out there for an hour or more, thinking either the drop rate was extremely low or bugged. It wasn't until I guessed and went INSIDE the tomb and killed the Monstrous Oozes at the deepest level of the tomb that they started to drop. I think this confusion could easily be solved with a slight wording change:
The oozes to the north inside Ironbeard's Tomb have been something I've used in the past as a sort of tar to light my torches with.
This doesn't hold the hand of the player. There are two separate types of oozes that spawn inside the tomb and they still have to figure out whether they come from the Crimson Oozes or the Monstrous Oozes. The quest doesn't tell you which one and doesn't need to, but it needs to at least point you in the right direction.

•Lore:
It's a minor thing, but I think that the Lord Commander - while I understand the desire to go for Game of Thrones and Harry Potter names for everyone in Hawk's Vigil - should be the Lord Mayor of the town, unless I missed someone that has that title - in which case my bad. I don't know if this is known to a lot of people, but Lordaeron names also have a lot of roots in Arthurian legends and stuff - Arthas / Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. Uther the Lightbringer / Uther Pendragon. Etc. Good stuff if you're ever looking for inspiration for names and whatnot since Blizzard never published what their naming conventions are, sometimes just gotta extrapolate.

•Overall:
Hawk's Vigil was a neat introduction to what the custom content of TWoW is and is going to be, and I got the same vibes from when I was able to go and do Crescent Grove - which does a great job of just building off of the story already going on in the zone with the furbolgs - and it's definitely done a good job of showing there's more thought going into the world and the events going on than is typically given. With a couple of small tweaks, I think the Harlus Ashbuckle / Martin Corinth type character could become a real memorable character for people passing through an otherwise unmemorable zone, like Wetlands. For Alliance players, the only thing memorable about that zone is getting to face-off with Nek'rosh Skullcrusher of the Dragonmaw Clan and that's done basically as part of a single-run quest line that you can burn through very easily. I think you guys are so close with Hawk's Vigil being something incredibly stellar, just a few details need to be showcased a bit more. I'm excited to see more of the custom content as I keep leveling and keep getting the chance to experience it with all my pals.

Widogast

Post by Widogast » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:50 am

Stranglethorn Vale:
This quest is poorly written through-and-through even to the point of the NPC referenced in the body of the quest. The NPC's name is Morgan the Storm. The claims of the quest are contradictory to each other. They want his combat skill to rub off on his crew when he's got no combat skill?

My proposed fix:
I’ve been spying on the Bloodsail since they took on Ironpatch, not a very bright idea since he fights worse than some of their rookies. Aside from that, he might as well be the perfect pirate: liar, gambler, navigator, drunk, you name it.
The fleet master named him captain of a small vessel in the hopes that his crew’s combat experience would rub off on him. Bunch of nonsense!
Morgan spits on the ground.
You’ll find him on one of the ships near here. Kill him and bring his head to the baron. I’ll keep laying low and gathering information for the Blackwater, now go before anyone sees us!
He “fights worse” than the rookies nearby, meaning he’s weaker than some of the regular Bloodsail and the reference to the fleet master gives a clue that he might not be alone.
The fleet master is in the room right beside him.

N0l

Post by N0l » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:13 am

I found a pretty obvious error/bug with the Darlthos Legacy quest - its significantly lower-level then it should be, and thus rewards gear that is far too low-level for the character.

Darlthos Legacy: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40282

This quest is labeled as being a level 19 quest, and awards a blue item that is appropriate to a level 19 quest (roughly equivalent to a weapon you might see in Deadmines). However, this is not a level 19 quest - it requires completion of the level 25 quest "Into the Jaws". "Into the Jaws" requires going into Shadowfang Keep and getting an item in Fenris' room - basically an exact copy of the non-custom Book of Ur quest. Into the Jaws also offers no reward itself - the reward for doing it comes from the Darlthos Legacy quest that comes after.

Into the Jaws: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40281
Book of Ur (Non-Custom, Blizzard quest): https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=1013

So with the above in mind, it appears that the Darlthos Legacy quest needs to increased to an appropriate level - probably 25 (to match Into the Jaws) or 26 (to match Book of Ur), and the two items that are awarded by Darlthos Legacy should be increased to level 28 items (as you would get from running SFK usually, and just 1 ilvl lower then the Seal of Sylvanas awarded for killing Arugal).

Seal of Sylvanas: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?item=6414

In addition - since the items currently only have spirit on them, re-itemizing them with the level increase would probably be a good idea. Even Spirit/Stamina or Spirit/Strength would be more useful then pure spirit.

Dwstar

Post by Dwstar » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:57 pm

The Hermit's Wrath: https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=40213

Quest is neither marked as Elite, nor it gives you any info that you will face packs of very strong elites. Quest targets are also elites that pull along with packs. I found impossible to fight them alone on lvl 52 warr, also very hard with the help of 52 enh shaman.
I suggest this quest should be marked as Elite, also the chain should reward you with some blues, or at least something more then just average green item.

N0l

Post by N0l » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:45 pm

https://database.turtle-wow.org/?quest=60131

Quest: Deep Blue Sea, level 13 custom Durotar group quest.

The reward for this quest is bonkers. Its a ilvl 21 1H axe for a level 13 quest. For comparison, the reward from Arugal's Folly (an official, level 15 group quest) is a level 16 item.

Arugal's Folly: https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=99/arugals-folly

The quest reward should be modified to have the DPS appropriate to a level 14 one-handed axe, so around 7.11 if we're using https://classic.wowhead.com/item=5344/pointed-axe as a comparison.

Meepingmeeps

Post by Meepingmeeps » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:52 pm

As much as I love the work the devs are doing to give us players custom vanilla content, I’m of the opinion that the High Elf questline at level 60 is not an actual story – it’s just a series of quests to get the player base excited for the upcoming Quel’thalas zone and potential Silvermoon City raid. While I enjoyed the first few quests regarding meeting Vereesa Windrunner as the Silvermoon Remnant faction leader, everything after feels like a mad rush to get to the next content update – you are not allowed to breathe after doing a quest.

After you meet Vereesa, she sends you to give letters to all of the Alliance members. This, in theory, sounds good but its execution leads a little left to be desired. I first went to hand in the letters to Mekkatorque and Magni Bronzebeard: however, after I turned in the letters/quests they just said “okay, go ahead.” This feels wrong to me: after I turn in the letters two quests should open up: one for the dwarves and the other for the gnomes. The dwarven one could be about attacking the Dark Iron dwarves in either Loch Modan or Searing Gorge; when you kill a few of them (let's say like ten) you can go back and hand in the quest – proving to the dwarves that you’re willing to help them and thus they grant you their permission to join the Alliance. For the gnomes you could have been sent to find a technological device that might aid them in reclaiming Gnomeregan. Give them the device, they can test it out eventually and give you their blessing. The human quest is.. Fine? It makes the most sense out of all of the Alliance leaders – both the High Elves and the humans have been allies for thousands of years.

The Kaldorei is where I have issues. As suggested, you go to Tyrande and hand her the letter and, unsurprisingly, she tells you no. You then get contacted by a sympathetic priestess of Elune who wants to secretly cleanse a moonwell in Feralas, as well as killing some demons in Ashenvale. The problem is how quickly Tyrande gives your people a moonwell to use for our magic addiction AS WELL AS her blessing to join the Alliance. I feel like it should have been more: perhaps us going to Felwood and help the Cenarion Circle root out Jaedenar as well as going down to Silithus and try to deal with the rising Silithid menace. After you do these, you should have a waiting period of a day, possibly longer, so Tyrande (and possibly Fandrel Staghelm as well) can justify allowing you into the Alliance. Even after you do all these things for the Kaldorei, the main reason why they are hesitant is due to your culture being centered mainly around magic. Eventually, she comes around but she threatens you that if your use of the arcane brings the demonic Legion into the world again she might end up killing the surviving Quel’dorei off. Also, don’t give the High Elves the moonwell. It feels out of place in the whole scheme of the Kaldorei and Quel’dorei’s issues.

This brings us to the grand finale of the questline where we try to establish a foothold in the Ghostlands. My question is: why? Why do we do this? Is it just to get people excited for the Quel’thalas patch that is coming soonTM? The Quel’dorei shouldn’t have the people warranted for a possible retaking of ANY PART of their ruined homeland, even with the Kaldorei and Theramore backing them up. It seems like a suicide mission. Instead, I would actually have them go to Jaina Proudmoore and ask for a place near her city to set up a new colony to rebuild – or focus on building up Alah’thalas if the Jaina thing doesn’t pan out.

I love the Quel’dorei as a race – and their level 60 questline is sadly a travesty of what the questline potentially could be. I hope you keep in mind that the Quel’dorei don't have the population to try and reclaim their now ruined and lost home, and instead focus on them fixing their magic addiction and the building up of Alah’thalas.

Tamamo-no-Bae

Post by Tamamo-no-Bae » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Meepingmeeps wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:52 pm
As much as I love the work the devs are doing to give us players custom vanilla content, I’m of the opinion that the High Elf questline at level 60 is not an actual story – it’s just a series of quests to get the player base excited for the upcoming Quel’thalas zone and potential Silvermoon City raid. While I enjoyed the first few quests regarding meeting Vereesa Windrunner as the Silvermoon Remnant faction leader, everything after feels like a mad rush to get to the next content update – you are not allowed to breathe after doing a quest.

After you meet Vereesa, she sends you to give letters to all of the Alliance members. This, in theory, sounds good but its execution leads a little left to be desired. I first went to hand in the letters to Mekkatorque and Magni Bronzebeard: however, after I turned in the letters/quests they just said “okay, go ahead.” This feels wrong to me: after I turn in the letters two quests should open up: one for the dwarves and the other for the gnomes. The dwarven one could be about attacking the Dark Iron dwarves in either Loch Modan or Searing Gorge; when you kill a few of them (let's say like ten) you can go back and hand in the quest – proving to the dwarves that you’re willing to help them and thus they grant you their permission to join the Alliance. For the gnomes you could have been sent to find a technological device that might aid them in reclaiming Gnomeregan. Give them the device, they can test it out eventually and give you their blessing. The human quest is.. Fine? It makes the most sense out of all of the Alliance leaders – both the High Elves and the humans have been allies for thousands of years.

The Kaldorei is where I have issues. As suggested, you go to Tyrande and hand her the letter and, unsurprisingly, she tells you no. You then get contacted by a sympathetic priestess of Elune who wants to secretly cleanse a moonwell in Feralas, as well as killing some demons in Ashenvale. The problem is how quickly Tyrande gives your people a moonwell to use for our magic addiction AS WELL AS her blessing to join the Alliance. I feel like it should have been more: perhaps us going to Felwood and help the Cenarion Circle root out Jaedenar as well as going down to Silithus and try to deal with the rising Silithid menace. After you do these, you should have a waiting period of a day, possibly longer, so Tyrande (and possibly Fandrel Staghelm as well) can justify allowing you into the Alliance. Even after you do all these things for the Kaldorei, the main reason why they are hesitant is due to your culture being centered mainly around magic. Eventually, she comes around but she threatens you that if your use of the arcane brings the demonic Legion into the world again she might end up killing the surviving Quel’dorei off. Also, don’t give the High Elves the moonwell. It feels out of place in the whole scheme of the Kaldorei and Quel’dorei’s issues.

This brings us to the grand finale of the questline where we try to establish a foothold in the Ghostlands. My question is: why? Why do we do this? Is it just to get people excited for the Quel’thalas patch that is coming soonTM? The Quel’dorei shouldn’t have the people warranted for a possible retaking of ANY PART of their ruined homeland, even with the Kaldorei and Theramore backing them up. It seems like a suicide mission. Instead, I would actually have them go to Jaina Proudmoore and ask for a place near her city to set up a new colony to rebuild – or focus on building up Alah’thalas if the Jaina thing doesn’t pan out.

I love the Quel’dorei as a race – and their level 60 questline is sadly a travesty of what the questline potentially could be. I hope you keep in mind that the Quel’dorei don't have the population to try and reclaim their now ruined and lost home, and instead focus on them fixing their magic addiction and the building up of Alah’thalas.
Hello, I am Tamamo, the writer of the Questline.

I believe I can address some of your problems.
The main issue you have stems from a change in the original plan.
These quests were intended to not only be longer but also they were meant to unfold as you gained reputation with the Silvermoon Remnant and at different levels.

Only the finale was meant to be at level 60.
As for the reason for the finale, it seems to have been cut.
The quests ran into some development issues and were redesigned and it seems a key scene was cut.

It was a scene that would have revealed the reason why the Alliance is on board with an attack on Quel'thalas, and why the Kaldorei are very eager to sponsor this.

Your feedback has been taken into consideration and the team will discuss how to alter the quest to reflect this, as well as restore the missing scene.

Thank you a lot! satisfied_turtle

Meepingmeeps

Post by Meepingmeeps » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:35 pm

The questline almost makes no sense from a lore perspective. Why would the Kaldorei, the very same people who pushed out the Highborne for using magic, care about Quel’thalas? The entire questline is a mess. It makes me want to fix the questline myself.

Also, what is the deal with N’Zoth in the First Settlement High Elf questline in the level 30 range? Why did he name dropped randomly and out of nowhere?

Tamamo-no-Bae

Post by Tamamo-no-Bae » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Meepingmeeps wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:35 pm
The questline almost makes no sense from a lore perspective. Why would the Kaldorei, the very same people who pushed out the Highborne for using magic, care about Quel’thalas? The entire questline is a mess. It makes me want to fix the questline myself.

Also, what is the deal with N’Zoth in the First Settlement High Elf questline in the level 30 range? Why did he name dropped randomly and out of nowhere?

The missing scene in Stormwind is crucial to understand why the Kaldorei in particular are the main driving force behind the expedition. Rest assured the feedback has been taken on board and work is ongoing.

For your second question, that was due to miscommunication.
It will be fixed in a future update. smiling_turtle_head

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:40 pm

The hawks vigil quest to get the shield from the dawrf engi in the basement needs to high costs
2 fused wirring
16 iron bar
2 bronze whirring gitmo
And lots of strong flux

All for a green shield with nothing special
IF the shield was blue OK, but not like this