Please lower or remove the restrictions on transmogrification.

Qixel

Please lower or remove the restrictions on transmogrification.

Post by Qixel » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:16 am

Transmogrification is an awesome system. It allows the player to customize their character to be the hero they envision, instead of some hobo in mismatched rags they found on the side of the road. The devs put a lot of work into making it a reality, both in its original incarnation and this newer one, but its return has been marred by the overwhelming amount of restrictions on what you are allowed to do. When the transmogrification system was first added, I had several transmogrification sets that allowed me to express my characters. Now, only one of my characters is allowed to do so. The others have been disallowed, and I feel this is a mistake. It encouraged me to run dungeons I otherwise did not need to get a gear piece for my set, which in turn helped others complete quests, or roll on gear with less competition from similarly geared players.

In raids, warriors who had gotten everything they needed stuck around to get unwanted druid tier pieces for their transmogrification set. It encouraged retention as well as imagination. You could finally be the hero you wanted, and everyone benefitted. But now, there's so many restrictions that these creative sets are all but impossible. It's stifled the creativity, as well as the excitement of the system.

Please consider opening transmogrification back to the previous level of customization, or even better yet, remove the restrictions entirely. A fully open transmogrification system would allow Slow and Steady players to use their Swords of a Thousand Truths, or allow a rogue who enjoys the look of maces to not be punished for playing "correctly". It would allow everyone to finally be able to be the character they dreamed of. And that would be a great thing for Turtle.

Ugoboom

Re: Please lower or remove the restrictions on transmogrification.

Post by Ugoboom » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:35 am

Fully agreed with this, I'm finding myself very frustrated at these points:

On my warrior, My fire and nature resist sets are a mix of plate, leather and even cloth. I cannot un-ugly my resist sets because of these restrictions.
I dreamed of setting up my warrior as kind of a plate pugilist, to be seen using their fists to beat down enemies with raw strength. Xmog was supposed to make that real, but no, I have two swords, and the system won't let me do that. With the way itemization is completely fractured and uneven at endgame, I would lose 20% of my dps if I went to fist weapons instead of swords, so it's completely not viable for me to do so.
I also like the look of 2handed swords on my character. I currently have a 2h sword I use, and thats fine, but the moment I get the bis item that is a mace, I lose my xmog. There's no reason that I should have to decide between bis for looks, and bis for gameplay, when xmog, the system that's supposed to remove this problem, won't let me. This problem exists for people who end up with a sword designated Mainhand and onehand, those two won't let you xmog over eachother even though they are identical in model usage!

On my priest, I want an invisible set of shoulderpads, because cloth shoulders look horrible on female models, my opinion. Currently I cannot do this, because the Invisible sets have not been re-implemented from the old system. xmogs with invisible items are just as valid as other xmogs!
I also cannot xmog a cloth dress chest to a cloth tunic dress. I know some people wearing bloodvine that are very upset about this

These all really stem from the downgrades that have been put into the new xmog system versus the old. I'm just not sure why these were done, the consequences are far reaching.

TL:DR
If you can wear it, it should be an xmog option for something else you do wear.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Valadorn

Post by Valadorn » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:47 am

Nobody can transmog other classes sets, since they need to be equiped for transmog and you cant equip class locked items

Witch101

Post by Witch101 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:11 am

I also agree about loosening the restrictions of the transmog system if possible.
There are so many unique and interesting items in the game. Vanilla and also the ones that the Devs have added. The less the restrictions to the system, the more creative players can be. The more creative people can be with it, the more fun they can have. It is a system implemented for fun. So let the fun flow.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 am

@Valadorn: I'm more than aware of the restrictions of the current version of transmogrification. That's why I made this thread; to return it to the old one, or to make it even better than that. In the old system, you just needed the item in your inventory. This allowed players to use whatever they had, with the exception of weapons, which still retained the restriction of Main Hand Sword to Main Hand Sword, or Off Hand Dagger to Off Hand Dagger.

@Witch: Exactly. <3 It's a system designed with fun in mind, but the restrictions seem designed counter to it. If they returned it to the old system, or expanded it even further, it would be great. As it is, only one of my characters even cares.

Absolon

Post by Absolon » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:13 am

I approve, really would like to transmog a 2hand mace into a 2hand sword

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am

Im +1000 with this

Im a fan of blademaster class but as an orc i "must" wear an axe. Id love be able to transmog any weapon to any appearance

Same with all armor
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Geojak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Geojak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:28 am

I wouldn't want warriors trsnsmog themselt into priest sets waring full plate.

Some restrictions are good

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 am

If you can't equip the item then it should not be possible to trsnsmog it imo.

And also the plate/male/cloth/leather separation, thaz you can't tmog a plate into cloth are good.

Also tmog should be disabled in pvp!

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 pm

@Geojak: I see your hesitance stems from pvp, presumably from the old "I need to know at a glance what my opponent is wearing to strategize against them " argument. To which I respond, "A human in a ninja outfit comes at you. What class, race, and level of gear are they?"

PvE and RP players should not be punished for PvP, especially not when you've always been able to hide your gear, as well as your race.

If it were possible to have players ignore transmog on a player by player basis, I'd be entirely behind a glyph that ignores transmog. But the devs who designed transmog have told me it's impossible.

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:47 pm

But... Why matter in pvp? Dont judge a book for his cover

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 pm

Geojak wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 am
Also tmog should be disabled in pvp!
This is the only concession i'd make. Allow us full complete xmog, i'm talking priests running around in plate, everything available. Disable it in BGs, so that trickery can't be done there. Disable "hide helm" in pvp as well so you can't hide a rocket or MC cap. Bam, everyone's happy.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:46 pm

Would a priest tmoged into full plate make any sense? It breaks immersion

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:55 pm

Geojak wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:46 pm
Would a priest tmoged into full plate make any sense? It breaks immersion
Yeah, they are called paladins. With identical healing spell effects.

What also breaks immersion is looking like an absolute clown when we should be some of the finest geared adventurers going up against old gods and scourge citadels.

The muh immersion argument holds no water.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 pm

You don't have to look like a clown only because you can't use plate transmog on a priest.

Cloth and leather would be allowed with the current system. Surely a Preist would be able to put something together.

Leave the plate to actual paladins

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:30 am

People who want to wear a different style of gear want to do so for a reason. For example, I wanted to play a paladin who focused on holy magic. But there is no spell damage paladin in Vanilla. So I compromised, and chose priest and made her gear look like plate. In-character, she is a paladin. Mechanically, she is a priest. I'm certainly not the only one who wants to play a character that doesn't exist in Vanilla's narrow design. Transmogrification allowed me to do so, and losing it was a huge blow to the customizability of the server.

Lore-wise, characters are not held to strict mechanical limitations. Take Thrall, for instance. The closest mechanical statement we can make is that he is a shaman, but he wears plate. Because Thrall isn't a "shaman", he is a guy with shamanic powers. Classes don't exist as such in the lore. Saying it doesn't make sense for a player to become closer to their ideal character is saying that the lore itself doesn't make sense.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:50 am

Geojak, who are you to deny others' ambitions for RP

I do not get it. Any negative affect it could possibly have on you, is lesser than the joy of being able to do so for ourselves

Spacestr

Post by Spacestr » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 pm

I fully support lowering or removing restrictions on transmog.

Monmothma21

Post by Monmothma21 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Could devs, theoretically, turn the "whatever process happens when you equip a new piece of gear and it gets saved" in to an active spell/skill players could use? It could work like an item enchantment where you click the spell, click on the piece of gear you want to save and it just does it for you. Saving gear you can equip could stay as it is, but something your class cannot wear could be done through that spell. It could have a reagent cost too, and some kind of simple quest to get it? It could be even, potentially, maybe, made in to its own simple secondary profession later?
English is not my first language, not even second or third. Brace yourselves. sad_turtle

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:06 pm

Transmog secondary proffesions sound fun. Add it into survival as part of a disguise system like rogues already have.

Imagician

Post by Imagician » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:02 pm

I fully agree with this. The ONLY counter-argument to not revert this is because of PvP.
For one - This isn't a PvP Server
Second - It's practically the same as using Noggenfoggers/Deviate Delights to already hide your gear, which is a thing in PvP.
I have a ton of Transmogs I can't do; Red Defias Mask has no item type, and the 'Hidden' items from when transmog used to be a thing a long time ago ONLY allows you to learn ONE of the 'hidden' items. (I have the full set, but because I learned the chest first, it's not allowing me to learn the other parts)
Fix items without an armor-type, aswell as lift the weapon/off-hand restrictions for transmog
Zoomer/Zoomies - 60 Rogue/Hunter

Drax

Post by Drax » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:27 pm

Yes to the lifting the restrictions. It stops you from creating your perfect transmog or makes you try to search for crappier pieces just because your gear is X and can't use Y in tmog. Stops you to RP as barbarians, just because your gear is plate and the no chest is cloth. Its stupid. Warriors are literally mix of Barbarian and Fighter classes from DnD. WoW's Warriors don't care what they wear as long as it works. Plate? Mail? Leather? Cloth? They don't care, aslong as it works for them in battle, 0 care.

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:54 pm

[/quote]

What also breaks immersion is looking like an absolute clown when we should be some of the finest geared adventurers going up against old gods and scourge citadels.

[/quote]

Totally agree. AQ sets are mighty but ugly as hell. Same happen with some Epic weapoms

Saurug

Post by Saurug » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:44 pm

Up.

Jubabuba

Post by Jubabuba » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:57 am

Yeah let anyone look how they want! if I see a warrior in cloth armor charging at me I would assume it is just a transmog and give my best and if he really wears just cloth then RIP brother. There a lot of simple addons that show the class color of your oponent thats all people have know in PvP most of the time.

Chnams

Post by Chnams » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm

Up, stop it with the "but muh PvP" argument, this is not a PvP server.

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:15 am

Upping because I agree.
There's no reason for transmog to be as restrictive as it currently is, on an RP server no less.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:45 pm

You can tell what class a person is by mousing over them.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:57 am

Mac wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:45 pm
You can tell what class a person is by mousing over them.
Agreed, having classes dressed up in a specific way is stupid to begin with. Players are not children who need colors to tell them red is bad and blue is good.

A Warrior wearing cloth armor can be possible provided they can transmogrify their plate into cloth, but a caster, who can't wear anything other than cloth doesn't have that freedom and it sucks.

Restrictions are pointless if they don't benefit anything.

Toirto

Post by Toirto » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Hello this is Vargash
Ilmane told me to tell you that Ilmane approves and supports this post

Sincerly Vargash

PS: I support it too :)

Witch101

Post by Witch101 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:49 pm

Another benefit to having this is that this will encourage more dungeon runs happening. People will find more and more items that they want to get for a certain look. So will farm dungeons and raids repeatedly til achieved. Which will help the other players who just want the gear from them.

Badling

Post by Badling » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:52 pm

I also agree that a much more lenient approach to transmog would be more fun, and will make it more of a used system, as of now you can't do too much I feel and i agree completely with Engie on this point.

I would especially draw attention to weapons, the main hand offhand vs onehand restriction, There is no reason for it as far as i am concerned.

My next point on weapons is that i feel like you should be able to transmog weapon types freely aslong as your class can use them, an orc that wants to be a sword master or just loves swords but has to use them axes because of it's imba racial, same with a human who is stuck using swords but fancies them being an axe weilding berserker

And the last one, perhaps a way to unlock tier looks from other classes as a last resort, Female gnomes looks absolutely dashing in t2 paladin just so you all know!

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Cytonek

Post by Cytonek » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:48 pm

I approve as well, not as many low levels can transmog due to the high restrictions. Would be nice to be able to pay for mogs with silver!

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:15 am

Definitely agree with the above. I was shocked when I checked the quest requirements at near max level.

Coun

Post by Coun » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:52 am

Let me start with saying that we have seen your complaints and this topic has also been discussed a lot within the team. What I can say at this time is that transmog restrictions will be reevaluated at some point in the probably-not-so-far-future (just as everything else that we receive feedback on). Please keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean they will also be changed.

That said, I would like to make clear that the discussion features at least three components that can and should be treated separately because they differ in controversy:

1) Armor type restrictions
That means the +1/-1 armor type restriction that is currently in place. It does not mean that you cannot transmog armor of a type your character isn't able to equip. The latter will very likely never change. Instead, removing that restriction would allow e.g. shamans to transmog mail pieces with cloth or paladins to transmog their cloth pieces with plate.

2) Weapon type restrictions
This means that weapons can only be transmogged with weapons of the same type. From what I can tell, this is a lot more controversial than armor types due to various reasons. If weapon type restrictions would be removed, however, this would only allow the following cross-type transmogs: 1H-Axe<->1H-Sword<->1H-Mace and 2H-Axe<->2H-Sword<->2H-Mace. The reason for this is that those are the only types that share the same swing animations. To be more specific: You wouldn't be able to transmog a dagger with a 1H-Sword or a polearm with a staff, because those have different swing animations.

3) Transmog costs
This means the money/time invest needed for a single transmog coin.

If you could give your opinions on each of those points separately, I think that would be very helpful.