additional Client fixes - Byte Patcher

Subannix

additional Client fixes - Byte Patcher

Post by Subannix » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Edit:15.07.2022 - Sourcecode:
Not sure if this is the right place, but anyways...

I made this simple Byte Patcher in Visual Basic with some old but commonly known fixes for the 1.12 Client.
Also included "AutoLoot" which doesn't seem to be against ToS this way and also my own "fix" disabling the WDB/Cache generation.

It saves and loads your selected fixes upon the next time you open the Patcher.
You can basically apply or undo the fixes on demand/to your liking.

apply 4GB Patch
Makes the game use up to 4GB of virtual memory instead of the designated 2GB.
(same functionality as the 4GB Patch from NTCore )

disable Cache generation
Basically hinders the game from creating a WDB folder and it's cache files within.
(simply changes the foldername to an "blank" name, and since windows can't create such folders the folder and the files within don't get generated at all)

increased Sound Channels
Raises the limit of the maximum useable Sound Channels from 12 to 256.
(ever wondered why some sound effects won't play when you're for e.g. in an crowded area, because all useable sound channels are occupied at that moment.)

improved Field of View
Increases the FoV value from the original ~1.57 to ~1.925 which is used in WotLK.
(same value as in the improved-fov.exe from Torta's Github)

AutoLoot w/o shift
It basically revereses the functionality of it, so you loot automatically without holding [shift] (or your designated key) and loot normally while holding it.

11 Bytes in total get changed with this Patcher.

DL Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hibffw7xx7n4d ... r.exe?dl=0

Make sure the Patcher is in your WoW folder. (like the picture above)
Make sure the game isn't running while using the Patcher. (the Patcher will throw an error and it won't work)
Make sure your WoW application is called WoW.exe.

Would be cool to see such additions in an custom Launcher for Turtle WoW. satisfied_turtle
Last edited by Subannix on Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Stubbies

Re: additional Client fixes - Byte Patcher

Post by Stubbies » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:26 pm

This sounds great thanks, hoping others will check it out. I'll wait till then, just incase :p.

Subannix

Post by Subannix » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Stubbies wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:26 pm
This sounds great thanks, hoping others will check it out. I'll wait till then, just incase :p.
I mean it could look sketchy since it's my first post on the forum, but it isn't harmful in anyway and you don't even need to give it admin privileges to run it.

I was using this for my own at first, but I figured I might share it so people don't need more than one .exe or backups for example when you're using the improved-fov exe from Torta and want to revert back later on.
Just with a click of a button you can do now so, without the need of extra backup files and no need to fiddle around wit Hex Editors if you wanna undo stuff when you didn't made an backup.

But since it's modifying another application, it could potentionally get flagged from your Anti Virus as malicious.
scared_turtle

Edit: If there's questions or someone wants to see the source code itself, you can ping me on the turtle wow discord server.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:07 pm

Hey, looks great. Memory and sound modifications might come handy, will have to test them :) Thank you!

Atharyx

Post by Atharyx » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Just tested it and it seems to be working great. No problems at all on my side :)

Subannix

Post by Subannix » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:03 am

Just checked the Binary of the 1.16 Patch there seems none of these changes made, readded the Download Link to the tool if anyone want's to use it :)

If anyone want's to do it them self via hex-editing:

Code: Select all

Large Address Aware Flag aka 4GB Patch: 0x126; 0F > 2F
Disable Cache: 0x455B38; 57, 44, 42 > 0, 0, 0
Improved FoV: 0x4089B4; DB, F, C9 > 66, 66, F6
Sound Channel limit: 0x435D38; 31, 32, 0 > 32, 35, 36
AutoLoot: 0xC1ECF; 74 > 75
If you wanna do it through Cheat Engine you need to add the base address wich is "0x40000" to the offset or simply put "wow.exe" infront of it, for example for improved FoV it's either 8089B4 or wow.exe+4089B4 but it isn't persistent and editing the binary itself makes the changes permanent.
Also no external Tools for hex-editing required, https://hexed.it/ works just fine.
Last edited by Subannix on Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doctorbeefy

Post by Doctorbeefy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:33 am

Just a heads up it looks like this can cause issues with the updater not being able to update the client.

Admiralawesome

Post by Admiralawesome » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Thank you.

Ooramexoo

Post by Ooramexoo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm

Is this still working? I tried to run the patcher but got an access denied message?

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:54 pm

works great for me

Rejuve

Post by Rejuve » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:41 pm

Can someone pls pm me on discord RejuveNorway, or ingame Rejuve ? I dont have something called wow.exe

Chouette

Post by Chouette » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:31 pm

Got it recommended to me by 'Zaas' in the Turtle Discord #Addons.
Works like a charm, also recommended it to a friend, so cheers and bump for great threat. satisfied_turtle_head
Chouette / Immortroll Hardcore dead_turtle_head

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:21 am

Field of view patch doesn't seem to work

Nhezkho

Post by Nhezkho » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:52 pm

Thank you, really appreciate this!

Faustorgo

Post by Faustorgo » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:20 pm

Can someone please, fix the Field of view (FOW), s not working, im a tryng to get a working Patcher for the FOW but without look, also i really dont know how to build me one, thanks.
Last edited by Faustorgo on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:35 am

How do you use this patcher? You open it and select the tweaks and then what? There is no "OK" or "Apply" button on it.

Edit: It works just by selecting the tweak and exiting. Edit 2: You have to relaunch this patcher after the selection.

I can confirm autoloot works. Appreciated.
Last edited by Albusturt on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casavir

Post by Casavir » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:29 am

Is it possible to change grass draw distance in wow.exe?

Faustorgo

Post by Faustorgo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 pm

i do not know, but you can always use this Addon: VanillaGraphicBoost for better grass visual and overall improves, ofc you need a decent cpu for it to work.

Casavir

Post by Casavir » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:24 pm

Faustorgo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 pm
i do not know, but you can always use this Addon: VanillaGraphicBoost for better grass visual and overall improves, ofc you need a decent cpu for it to work.
No it is not what i mean.

Faustorgo

Post by Faustorgo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 am

okidoki

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Can someone add an option to increase the range of nameplates?

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 pm

I like how Microsoft Defender SmartScan prevents this from being run under Windows 10. That's totally not sketchy at all. (:

What bytes are being modified and what are their to-and-from values? All someone needs to do is compare a modified EXE with a stock one to find out. I'm extremely paranoid about this sort of thing and would prefer to know what it's doing rather than blindly use it and have something insanely bad happen. Thank you.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:20 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 pm
I like how Microsoft Defender SmartScan prevents this from being run under Windows 10. That's totally not sketchy at all. (:

What bytes are being modified and what are their to-and-from values? All someone needs to do is compare a modified EXE with a stock one to find out. I'm extremely paranoid about this sort of thing and would prefer to know what it's doing rather than blindly use it and have something insanely bad happen. Thank you.
Defender gives you a warning because this executable changes the binary code of another executable. This is of course not a normal behaviour, but it's not malicious. I am able to observe the connections WoW.exe is making and I can say this is safe to use. If you learn how to use a good firewall and check active connections you can be rest assured.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:18 pm

While that addresses my first concern, it doesn't really answer the follow-up question. (:

I just want to know what bytes are modified and I'm too much of a sissy-coward to experiment with an unsigned executable, myself.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Subannix

Post by Subannix » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:45 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:18 pm
While that addresses my first concern, it doesn't really answer the follow-up question. (:

I just want to know what bytes are modified and I'm too much of a sissy-coward to experiment with an unsigned executable, myself.
Check my comment on the first page I made a few days later. smiling_turtle_head
Subannix wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:03 am
Just checked the Binary of the 1.16 Patch there seems none of these changes made, readded the Download Link to the tool if anyone want's to use it :)

If anyone want's to do it them self via hex-editing:

Code: Select all

Large Address Aware Flag aka 4GB Patch: 0x126; 0F > 2F
Disable Cache: 0x455B38; 57, 44, 42 > 0, 0, 0
Improved FoV: 0x4089B4; DB, F, C9 > 66, 66, F6
Sound Channel limit: 0x435D38; 31, 32, 0 > 32, 35, 36
AutoLoot: 0xC1ECF; 74 > 75
If you wanna do it through Cheat Engine you need to add the base address wich is "0x40000" to the offset or simply put "wow.exe" infront of it, for example for improved FoV it's either 8089B4 or wow.exe+4089B4 but it isn't persistent and editing the binary itself makes the changes permanent.
Also no external Tools for hex-editing required, https://hexed.it/ works just fine.

Hoboknife

Post by Hoboknife » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 pm

I just wanted to say thanks, this thing is awesome for sneaking and pickpocketing quickly!

I don't suppose it would be possible to have sound while wow runs in the background included?

Atello

Post by Atello » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 pm

The changes don't get applied for me. Specifically the autoloot portion does not seem to work.

Blvckshvde

Post by Blvckshvde » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:46 pm

dropbox link not working for me

Remorsx

Post by Remorsx » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:37 am

Any way to reduce sound channels to 64?

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:52 am

Can this be used for the new exe, the Tel'Abim patch?

Pequisto

Post by Pequisto » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:48 am

Would like to know this as well. :)

Imhitchens

Post by Imhitchens » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:37 pm

Edit: Damnit. Posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry

Dhrazar

Post by Dhrazar » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:57 pm

Okay, aren't the increased sound channels, improved Field of View and the 4GB patch already included in the latest game version exe?

Fosoyo

Post by Fosoyo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:54 pm

Can anyone explain the purpose of disabling the cache?
Thanks

Fosoyo

Post by Fosoyo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:57 pm

Subannix wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:48 pm
Stubbies wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:26 pm
I mean it could look sketchy since it's my first post on the forum, but it isn't harmful in anyway and you don't even need to give it admin privileges to run it.

I was using this for my own at first, but I figured I might share it so people don't need more than one .exe or backups for example when you're using the improved-fov exe from Torta and want to revert back later on.
Just with a click of a button you can do now so, without the need of extra backup files and no need to fiddle around wit Hex Editors if you wanna undo stuff when you didn't made an backup.

But since it's modifying another application, it could potentionally get flagged from your Anti Virus as malicious.
scared_turtle

Edit: If there's questions or someone wants to see the source code itself, you can ping me on the turtle wow discord server.
Can you explain how to download this and use this? I added the FOV mod but it removed all of the advanced Resolutions