Poll: Improved field of view in 1.15.2 — yes or no?

Poll: Would you like 1.15.2 binary to have an improved field of view by default?

Yes, I want it.
59%
No, provide an additional option for those who want it.
41%

Total votes: 112

Torta

Poll: Improved field of view in 1.15.2 — yes or no?

Post by Torta » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Greetings!

Some of you have been asking about it, so we could include this change in the upcoming 1.15.2 client update. However, I understand that it might be pretty disturbing for some people to suddenly have the usual field of view changed out of the blue. Please, let us know what you think.

You can test it first-hand by using this version of 1.15.1 binary with this modification. This version of the binary 1.15.1 (6010) supports improved field of view (1.925) which is better for modern widescreen resolutions:

Use it only if you already have patched 1.15.1 client, else your game won't start.

Cuddles

Re: Poll: Improved field of view in 1.15.2 — yes or no?

Post by Cuddles » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Hey there!

Tbh, this entire poll could be dismissed if 2 links were provided for said change, best of both worlds in the future. Playing with impr FOV is just uncomfortable for me, even on other games. Would be sad to be "forced" to play with this just because others enjoy it but then again vice versa can be applied, logic wise. So yeah, 2 links would be ideal for this situation.

Sorry if my arguments were not well explained, hope my point was enough to express my side

Grayhammer

Post by Grayhammer » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm

I think it should be a setting, but I see no reason not to have it.
It's Cathlanna!

Neltharion

Post by Neltharion » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:37 pm

Pretty sure this should be implemented as a setting. Two links would be just confusing for new people and having an one only smooth and improved version of TWOW would be way better. Just my opinion of course!
Dragonslayer - 60 Enhancement Shaman
Dragonbane - 60 SM Ruin Warlock

[Tel'Abim Enjoyer]

Norm

Post by Norm » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:57 pm

This should definitely not be the default. I'm not a fan of wide FOVs.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Cuddles wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm
Hey there!

Tbh, this entire poll could be dismissed if 2 links were provided for said change, best of both worlds in the future. Playing with impr FOV is just uncomfortable for me, even on other games. Would be sad to be "forced" to play with this just because others enjoy it but then again vice versa can be applied, logic wise. So yeah, 2 links would be ideal for this situation.

Sorry if my arguments were not well explained, hope my point was enough to express my side
I changed the poll wording a bit. For sure, it can be an additional option: for example creating two binaries: WoW.exe and WoW_IFoV.exe

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:07 pm

I think increased FOV will create the illusion that the character is moving faster, which I think is a good thing to have. I think since WoTLK, the game's base FOV became increased. I believe this was a discussion on the official WoW Classic forums back in 2019 and that's where I learned about this.

So yes, that will be a good thing to have, if possible FOV should be increased as much as possible without warping the side view too much. Even better - it would be nice to have it as a console/macro command in-game so players can change it at will and if they don't like this, they can revert it back to normal.

On the same topic, I would like to suggest (and also inquire if it's possible) to allow players to use commands to boost the game's draw distance, world render distance and grass/object/mob draw distance.

For WoTLK WoW, there was a tool called WoW Machinima Tool, which allowed you to increase these draw/render distances beyond the limits as well as detach the camera from your character and adjust its speed so you could visit places in the game that were never meant to be seen. I've heard some argument where people say it's impossible, because the game has some limitations that can't be bypassed, but if this tool can bypass them, then it should be possible.

Things WoW Machinima Tool allowed to set:

- FOV
- draw/render distance
- show or hide trees and other objects
- detached floating (ghost) camera
- time of day
- time speed
- cloud density
- environment colors (fog, sky, water, etc) https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6Abge3eSp0E/maxresdefault.jpg

P33m

Post by P33m » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:17 am

Have you guys tested this on 4:3 monitors? FOR SURE FOR SURE if you do add it PLEASE make it just an option (setting) and not forced.

Pfwg

Post by Pfwg » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:36 am

Choices are always better.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Gifted."

Zhohan

Post by Zhohan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:37 am

I think it should be an optional patch. The FOV is a huge deal for how players experience the game world. By making it larger, it creates the illusion that everything is smaller and less vast in scale. It makes the character feel like it's moving faster, and thus has a subtle effect on how players psychologically act while playing. It makes the game more like retail where the gameplay is about speed and less about slowly experiencing a vast world. I think it should be an option for players that want it, but it should be an exception, not the default. This is Turtle WoW after all.

Mikeloss

Post by Mikeloss » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm

Love the idea, hate mandatory stuff!
1- If you are already modifying the game client why not add a video option?
2- Can not this be a hook to a specific turtle add-on?
3- Why not make it an optionional patch file that anyone can choose to add to its Data folder? (Like previous Reply above)
4- Why not use in-game commands to set it up for each individual person at will?#

Much love,

Mikeloss
Maelm the Forest Ranger
"What I have learned from the elves in my youth is what I do for a living. If no one protects us then who will..."

Jetlogix

Post by Jetlogix » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:45 pm

i play on a ultrawide monitor 21:9 and it's so damn good with the modification!!!

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 am

Mikeloss wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm
Love the idea, hate mandatory stuff!
1- If you are already modifying the game client why not add a video option?
2- Can not this be a hook to a specific turtle add-on?
3- Why not make it an optionional patch file that anyone can choose to add to its Data folder? (Like previous Reply above)
4- Why not use in-game commands to set it up for each individual person at will?#

Much love,

Mikeloss
We don't have client source files (since it's Blizzards) to perform any heavy modifications. There'll be probably 2 binary files with FoV and without.

Batman8000

Post by Batman8000 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:46 pm

Hello. Can we get an updated version please?

Torta

Post by Torta » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 pm

Yes, very soon. Sorry I totally forgot.

Batman8000

Post by Batman8000 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:24 pm

Hello Torta. Any updates?

Mansa

Post by Mansa » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:39 am

Much needed!

Brndd

Post by Brndd » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:53 am

For those anxiously waiting for this, you can make the modification yourself using a hex editor such as HxD. Simply open Wow.exe in a hex editor, use the search function to look for DB 0F C9 3F E6 F1 47 40 00 00 and replace it with 66 66 F6 3F E6 F1 47 40 00 00. Make sure to back the exe up first in case you mess up.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:30 pm

Torta posted it on discord a months ago or two, a client with field of view edited in

Goleoldark

Post by Goleoldark » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:57 pm

We want Improved range of nameplate. FOV doesnt matter if u cant see enemy nameplate bars. There is all the info that u need .Hp buffs,debuffs etc poinless o have FOV without seeing enemy bars

Selivanyro

Post by Selivanyro » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:28 am

Please dont break original feel :! ! !
PS
I support and donate my voice is important mad_turtle