[The old Talent Tree] & your class

Poll: Do you like the old or current talent tree of your class?

Current
81%
Old
15%
Dunno
4%

Total votes: 26

Aomiaz

[The old Talent Tree] & your class

Post by Aomiaz » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am

Hi Everyone

Please take a look at the old talent tree here. Do you like the old or current talent tree of your class?
https://classicwowtalents.appspot.com/i ... =1124125_6
I play paladin. I think I actually prefer the old talent tree of paladin. Because it gives incentives to bring retribution paladin into raid in actual vanilla.
Do you want the old talent tree of your class in our turtle wow?
I wanted to start a Poll to see what peoples' preferences are. But I dont know how. Feel free to discuss or make a poll if you know how.

Thanks

Lahire

Re: [The old Talent Tree] & your class

Post by Lahire » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 am

I think there are good reasons why K. Jordan, the class designer, converged to the 1.12 tree instead of the 1.1 one. They are a bit junky init?

I agree with you that the ret 1.1 tree is far more appealing and cool. But on the other hand, it contains all the core paladin fantasy abilities, which is not optimal. Consecration, King, Precision and SoCommand in the same tree is quite bloated from a fantasy pov: what particularities are left for the 2 other specs? Not much. Perhaps the designer corrected course a bit too much (he says so himself), but the 1.1 paladin has design problems too, if not the same than the 1.12 one.

Paladin suffered during production because it never had 3 fully realised fantasy. It had 2 : big dude with big mace on the frontline doing smack and off-heals (ret) ; big dude with big shield giving back the damage he endured (prot). Holy suffers from a lack of vision, it is a function-spec : "ima the healer i guess". And its performance emerged from players and not from the designer (K. Jordan said he was a bit surprised when paladins began to stay away from melee and wear robes like priests). Because Holy lacked clear vision (and because the healing plate gear was bad), the players made it into a priestly experience.

Each other 1.1 class than paladin is less appealing than their 1.12 version imo. The absence of Moonkin is a big no-no. Manatide totem, Innervate, as 31 talent... wtf? The 31 Survival talent "Lacerate" is the funniest meme ever put in WoW. Lots of lesser stuff, you can feel it's less polished than 1.12.

All in all, we're good with the 1.12 version.
Main: Whitemare

Yutilk

Post by Yutilk » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Old talent trees obv there's so much fun testing/theorycrafting to be done, nothing is really figured out.

Fizzeek

Post by Fizzeek » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Hey! I remember in beta when Arcane Explosion had a 1.5s cast time and needed talents to be instant, and there it is!

Velite

Post by Velite » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:30 pm

As far as paladin goes, I kind of agree that the old ret and prot trees were actually better. Especially Holy Shield at 21 points opens up alot more paladins to being tank capable. But for alot of classes, old talents were alot worse. Winter's Chill wasn't even added until Naxx.
Resident Paladin Expert

Paw

Post by Paw » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 am

Aomiaz wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am
Hi Everyone

Please take a look at the old talent tree here. Do you like the old or current talent tree of your class?
https://classicwowtalents.appspot.com/i ... =1124125_6
I play paladin. I think I actually prefer the old talent tree of paladin. Because it gives incentives to bring retribution paladin into raid in actual vanilla.
Do you want the old talent tree of your class in our turtle wow?
I wanted to start a Poll to see what peoples' preferences are. But I dont know how. Feel free to discuss or make a poll if you know how.

Thanks
Hello!

This is an interesting idea! I gave a poll option to your post if you didn't mind. I can't promise anything on the matter personally however.

Aomiaz

Post by Aomiaz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 am

Paw wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 am
Hello!

This is an interesting idea! I gave a poll option to your post if you didn't mind. I can't promise anything on the matter personally however.
Hello

Frist, thank you for doing this. I was hoping to use this poll to later explore the possibilities of giving some classes the old talent, while keeping the current talent for other classes, based on our players' opinion. Hence what I really wanted was to make a poll like this?
I play WARRIOR and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play WARRIOR and I like the OLD talent.
I play ROGUE and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play ROGUE and I like the OLD talent.
I play HUNTER and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play HUNTER and I like the OLD talent.
I play MAGE and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play MAGE and I like the OLD talent.
I play WARLOCK and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play WARLOCK and I like the OLD talent.
I play PRIEST and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play PRIEST and I like the OLD talent.
I play DRUID and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play DRUID and I like the OLD talent.
I play PALADIN and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play PALADIN and I like the OLD talent.
I play SHAMAN and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play SHAMAN and I like the OLD talent.

Is this possible? Please feel free to delete my post and make a new one if needed. This is not my original idea. Credit goes to random strangers on reddit like this person named Kalarrian.
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/elk25l/was_ret_paladin_better_with_the_original_vanilla/

Paw

Post by Paw » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:20 pm

Aomiaz wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 am
Paw wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 am
Hello!

Hello

Frist, thank you for doing this. I was hoping to use this poll to later explore the possibilities of giving some classes the old talent, while keeping the current talent for other classes, based on our players' opinion. Hence what I really wanted was to make a poll like this?
I play WARRIOR and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play WARRIOR and I like the OLD talent.
I play ROGUE and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play ROGUE and I like the OLD talent.
I play HUNTER and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play HUNTER and I like the OLD talent.
I play MAGE and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play MAGE and I like the OLD talent.
I play WARLOCK and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play WARLOCK and I like the OLD talent.
I play PRIEST and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play PRIEST and I like the OLD talent.
I play DRUID and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play DRUID and I like the OLD talent.
I play PALADIN and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play PALADIN and I like the OLD talent.
I play SHAMAN and I like the CURRENT talent.
I play SHAMAN and I like the OLD talent.

Is this possible? Please feel free to delete my post and make a new one if needed. This is not my original idea. Credit goes to random strangers on reddit like this person named Kalarrian.
That's a bit too much to think about at first. :D Let's not make an exam out of it! When and if we consider making such changes we will investigate the matter further.

Warmane

Post by Warmane » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm

i love how no matter what tree you go deep into on the paladin 1.1 calculator, you always end up pure 33%/33%/33% hybrid :D

Greysonsilver

Post by Greysonsilver » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Honestly, Im more of a fan of the Old Balance tree. Its not much different, obviously no moon chicken which doesnt really hurt things that much to be fair. Omen of Clarity is more baseline so no need for natural weapons which gives us a chance at some kind of mana management for Balance. (Not much I know but hey its something.) Combine that with the regular 1.12 Resto tree and you have a recipe for slightly more success with reflection and Insect swarm. Buts just my two cents to be honest. Someone more knowledgeable then me will probably come around and correct me.

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:08 am

Greysonsilver wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:05 pm
no moon chicken which doesnt really hurt things that much to be fair.
Erasing the most flavourful spec would be an open wound to the game.
It would be like eating a rum baba without rum.
Main: Whitemare

Snigery

Post by Snigery » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm currently playing a Hunter focusing on melee but using the BM tree. Looking at the old talent trees, the old BM is pretty bad and boring. Obviously them improved upon it. The old Survival tree however, though inferior, has some major components that I think are better. Did not realize the proposed class change addition adding Lacerate was an old talent tree ability. What I think they should also consider is absolutely giving Hunter some means to reducing Raptor Strike cooldown.

I would vote both or mixed if I could, but as a whole I would not want the old talents.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:28 pm

I enjoy how there are diminishing returns on some of the talents. Allows a person to use 1-2 points to get the brunt of the increase, and then invest somewhere else (instead of always plopping down 5 points to get the same increment improvement - boring).

I'd love to see how a PTR looked with this running. Could be significant. Probably bears some consideration, at least if people want to make something different from norm.

Aranum

Post by Aranum » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:51 pm

Nah, current SV tree is much better. More useful talents for actual SURVIVABILITY and less (useless) melee-oriented talents for lesser warriors(?). I mean, don't have anything against melee hunters, it's just 4 melee abils (2 of them are used for slowing / rooting your opponent and then to make some distance, lol) make bad melee class.