1.17.2 Preliminary Itemization Changelog

Healingrain

Re: 1.17.2 Preliminary Itemization Changelog

Post by Healingrain » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:56 pm

Atreidon wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:53 pm

I'm a bit concerned to see some very weak / niche items such as green dragonscale & rapid evolution being nerfed. While meditation is a extremely powerful stat, it derives its absurd potential from stacking multiple sources of it with high spirit. Each item compounding the others. So id question if the stat shouldn't rather have a deminishing return to disincentivizing stacking it to ridiculous levels.

One way to do so would be to change it to be a percentage of the still blocked mana regeneration. e.g. "Allows 5% of your manaregeneration supressed by spellcasting to continue" (e.g. the second piece would only grant you further 4.75% manaregen, (5% of the 95% manaregeneration still supressed etc.))
The point that I believe has been sorely missed by everyone responding to me is "Why is Meditation even a stat at all?"

It performs the exact same function as MP5, increases mana regeneration while casting. It's just harder for the devs to tune because instead of being completely linear, it becomes a moving target where you can accumulate a critical mass of mana regen if they slip up.

If Mp5 is a weak stat, the solution isn't to supplant it with a new stat that accomplishes the same function. The solution is to fundamentally question how much Mp5 is consuming the itemization budget of items with it and buff the items accordingly.

Atreidon
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Atreidon » Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Mp5 & meditation have fundamentally different target audiences. Each class has a different spirit to mana conversion. Whereas mp5 is static in all aspects.

Meditation at least offers you some interesting considrrations in gameplay & gearing as its value changes depending on class and playstile (if you stopcast a bunch, you regularly fall out of the 5 second rule and gain no benefit from meditation for short amounts of time)

It also offers tradeoff where either more meditation or more raw spirit can be better at various breakpoints.

Whereas mp5 is completely uninterractable and boring

Healingrain

Post by Healingrain » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:10 am

Atreidon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:59 pm
Mp5 & meditation have fundamentally different target audiences. Each class has a different spirit to mana conversion. Whereas mp5 is static in all aspects.
Wow, if only there were some stat we could put on an item for the classes that benefit from Spirit like uhh I don't know SPIRIT maybe?! If I was really smart I might put it on their tier gear and give other classes MP5.
Meditation at least offers you some interesting considrrations in gameplay & gearing as its value changes depending on class and playstile (if you stopcast a bunch, you regularly fall out of the 5 second rule and gain no benefit from meditation for short amounts of time)
This accounting for playstyle already existed in Vanilla! If you regularly fall out of the 5 second rule you will get dramatically more regen building Spirit than you do MP5! If you aren't doing that, build MP5. That's why Meditation as a stat is superfluous, you already had these options.
It also offers tradeoff where either more meditation or more raw spirit can be better at various breakpoints.
Only correct part of the entire post. It gives the spreadsheet people something to fuss over I guess.

In my opinion I think it is needless complexity and a minor balancing design burden for the team, remove it.

Atreidon

Post by Atreidon » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:49 am

Healingrain wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:10 am
Atreidon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:59 pm
Wow, if only there were some stat we could put on an item for the classes that benefit from Spirit like uhh I don't know SPIRIT maybe?! If I was really smart I might put it on their tier gear and give other classes MP5.
This accounting for playstyle already existed in Vanilla! If you regularly fall out of the 5 second rule you will get dramatically more regen building Spirit than you do MP5! If you aren't doing that, build MP5. That's why Meditation as a stat is superfluous, you already had these options.
Only correct part of the entire post. It gives the spreadsheet people something to fuss over I guess.

In my opinion I think it is needless complexity and a minor balancing design burden for the team, remove it.
The whole point is that not every class should get the same amount of mana. Paladins & Shamans both are way more efficient with their mana, but their mana will only ever go down. While priests & druids have more tools to regenerate mana mid combat. By target nerfing/ removing meditation as a paasive stat, you guarantee only darkmoon card blue dragon being mandatory (especially with t3.5 likely having even more spirit)

Rowrow213

Post by Rowrow213 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:27 pm

Is there any chance that you all can post the items with dates on when they were added to the post? That way we don't have to scrub the whole post in case we want to know if something new is getting changed.

Elleshar

Post by Elleshar » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:14 pm

Dragunovi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 am
  • Atiesh (Druid): Class special aura changed from 11 MP5 to 2% Haste. Feral Attack Power increased from 420 to 600. Now also grants 150 Spellpower similiar to the Priest version.
Kind of a wierd choice lorewise and gameplay wise to change medivh's staff from bis for resto to ferals druids instead, spellpower and haste benefits balance too but the fap increase makes it pretty much a feral prio.
Haste aura while nice makes it not desirable for druids running deep resto or treeform.

Calli

Post by Calli » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:03 pm

Pls remove profession requirements from armaments. It is never good to keep them like that.

Venaven

Post by Venaven » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:52 pm

Good changes, but I have a question: Will the resilience changes be applied to rank 13/14 gear? It could finally be worthwhile, then.

Rowrow213

Post by Rowrow213 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:05 pm

"How are we going to fix paladins bringing dungeon items into Naxx? I know! Let's nerf everything they use!" -Turtle Itemization team

Yzzzzzz

Post by Yzzzzzz » Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:32 am

Breath of Solnius: Now has a 15 second internal cooldown (equal to its duration to prevent re-triggering before the duration is finished.), and multi-target heals only count as one instance of healing in terms of proc chance.

I believe the nerf to the "Breath of Solnius" trinket is a bit excessive. The base stats of 30 Healing and 11 Spirit are not particularly powerful. If the proc is modified to have a 15-second internal cooldown and can only trigger with a 5% chance, the uptime for the Haste effect will be very low. For healers, trinkets with an unstable proc and low uptime are of limited usefulness. I suggest that if you modify the internal cooldown and adjust the proc mechanism, you should compensate by increasing the proc chance. This would ensure that the trinket's uptime remains at a reasonable level.

Atreidon

Post by Atreidon » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:28 am

With a 5% chance to proc breath, you need 20 casts on average to get one.
In the best case scenario of using 1.5 second cast heals, that means on average you spend 30 seconds casting to trigger it for an effect that lasts 15 seconds. So the uptime is ~33%. Thats an average of 6.7% haste from one itemslot on top of other stats.

But most healers will be using slower heals especially considering during breaths active you want to use slower heals too. Considering otherwise you loose the value from haste to the gcd. With a 2.5 second cast heal (for instance chainheal or holy light) the number goes down to 4.6% haste.

Still very very strong, but it curbstomps whats fun about the trinket. I suggest instead to remove the addheal & statd as well as the cd on the trinket (and keep it proc only once for aoe spells) that way gain between ~10% average haste on a very idealistic scenario and 6-7% average haste in a more realistic setting.

Its still a very potent trinket, but its still a healer trinket that isnt exactly reliable. And that itself is a downside on a role that id all about reliability

Watterboy1

Post by Watterboy1 » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:11 pm

Dragunovi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 am
Greetings! Here's the preliminary itemization changelog detailing all item related additions and changes coming in Patch 1.17.2: Tower of Karazhan.

• Bonereaver's Edge: Procs per minute returned to original Vanilla value, reducing it from 3 to 2.

[/list]

Doesn't seem like whirlwind can proc this effect whereas it did on vanilla; not sure if cleave can. So reducing this is pretty substantial, unless whirlwind proc is being fixed.

Also, has it already been reduced, or is it still at 3ppm right now?