Nerf Tauren Shamans Waterwalking + Plainsrunning combo

Jannus

Nerf Tauren Shamans Waterwalking + Plainsrunning combo

Post by Jannus » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:26 pm

Howdy,
I'll try to be brief, tauren shamans are stupidly overpowered for having the ability to use waterwalking in conjunction with plainsrunning. Plainsrunning, for the purpose of waterwalking, should be treated as a mount. I do understand that this is a COOL and WACKY combination of mechanics, but at the same time, gives tauren shamans an unfair ability to get to places over water stupidly fast. No other race/class combo can pull something as stupid and broken as that. This feels more of an oversight and I don't think this is okay.

P.S: Proposed solution: Make Plainsrunning be treated by all intents and purposes as a mount. That way, the tauren shaman will fall into the water once they activate Plainsrunning. Or allow every other Horde race to learn plainsrunning. And still, I don't think it's fair to give shamans (or taurens with a shaman nearby) this ability in conjunction with waterwalking.
No, my shirt in my profile picture does not say "cuck," it says "fuck racism" which is the opposite of anyone who uses that shitty term cuck.

Shaman111

Re: Nerf Tauren Shamans Waterwalking + Plainsrunning combo

Post by Shaman111 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:34 pm

god forbid the least fun class in the game have something fun

Jammyxx

Post by Jammyxx » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:57 pm

Cry Cry, Im an Orc with 25% stun resist but I want more more more

OR im a troll with Hex an insane pvp racial and Berserk for crazy DPS

GTFO

Grizb37

Post by Grizb37 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:58 pm

A way to make this more fair is allow ghost wolf water walking.
It IS a ghost after all.

Balake

Post by Balake » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:40 pm

Jannus wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:26 pm
Howdy,
I'll try to be brief, tauren shamans are stupidly overpowered for having the ability to use waterwalking in conjunction with plainsrunning. Plainsrunning, for the purpose of waterwalking, should be treated as a mount. I do understand that this is a COOL and WACKY combination of mechanics, but at the same time, gives tauren shamans an unfair ability to get to places over water stupidly fast. No other race/class combo can pull something as stupid and broken as that. This feels more of an oversight and I don't think this is okay.

P.S: Proposed solution: Make Plainsrunning be treated by all intents and purposes as a mount. That way, the tauren shaman will fall into the water once they activate Plainsrunning. Or allow every other Horde race to learn plainsrunning. And still, I don't think it's fair to give shamans (or taurens with a shaman nearby) this ability in conjunction with waterwalking.
What unfair gameplay advantages does that give other that better odds of winning the yearly terrific turtlewow triathlon

Can't do plainsrunning in bgs or indoor instances.

BUT, it would be nice if waterwalking was not removed by mounts in general.
Last edited by Balake on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darktifa

Post by Darktifa » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:00 pm

Balake wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:40 pm
What gameplay advantages does that give other that better odds of winning the yearly terrific turtlewow triathlon
haha good one!
Czasku wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm
After Reading Turtle WoW's forum i understood why Blizzard stopped responding on their own forum topics.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:24 am

Can we get it to where plainsrunning doesn’t break when you enter water, similar to how mounts currently work?

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:26 am

"You're having fun with a cool and unique mechanic which doesn't harm anybody ? You tryin' to be COW JESUS ?

Tough luck, here is the fun police : sent to clown jail !"
Main: Whitemare

Jannus

Post by Jannus » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:23 am

I'm not going to do a response where I quote to everyone individually because that would take effort and a lot of time, but instead I'll address every concern in a single post.

A lot of you seem to be missing the point that Plainsrunning wasn't implemented for probably different reasons and taurens got kodo mounts instead. So Turtle WoW did the thing where they brought things that were left in development and made them a thing for their server - this isn't inherently bad and I appreciate the work they've put into this. This doesn't mean however that things should be left unchanged, especially when you see that there's an unintended side effect that people can take advantage of (and do). Sorry if you're perceiving this as me being the fun police, but like I said, it simply isn't fair in it's current iteration where only a specific race/class combination can take advantage of this odd side effect.

Either make it an all classes/all races sort of thing, or make it so it's not functional in it's current iteration. I don't see why a very specific race/class combo should be only able to pull this trick off - either make it a thing for ALL shamans, and let waterwalking be a personal buff (so you can't cast it on other players) and so all shamans can be mounted on water, or make it so Plainsrunning is treated like a mount so you can't run at 100% additional speed (before any mounted speed enchants) along the surface of the water. Or just, you know, f$#k it, just make it so anyone can benefit from it while mounted, alliance players included. Yeah sure why not, let's just give shamans Path of Frost instead, and turn them into death knights??

Don't let this affect just a specific race/class combo.

It's just stupid from a balance perspective seeing some cow shaman run after a boat at full speed and cast spells at players on it because haha look at me I picked the funny class/race combo with the unintended side effect.
No, my shirt in my profile picture does not say "cuck," it says "fuck racism" which is the opposite of anyone who uses that shitty term cuck.

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:57 am

Let the cows fulfill their jesus dream, bro.
Why can't you just relax and appreciate the meme ?
Jannus wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:23 am
Either make it an all classes/all races sort of thing, or make it so it's not functional in it's current iteration. I don't see why a very specific race/class combo should be only able to pull this trick off
AGAIN and AGAIN this retail way of thinking. What is it with you players ? Why are most of you unable to grasp the principles of classical design though they are simple ? Why do you make the exact same demands that produced retail design in the long run ?

Always the homogeneity, the "balance", the loss of flavour, of roleplay, of themes. Always asking to all have the same grey and tasteless equal tools. Always "i want all the toys now for everyone and without any effort or it's unfair!"

You will only stop when there is only 1 class and 1 race with 1 spell which says "do 3 damage for 3 mana". Then you'll have a perfectly balanced game. Your hunger for "balance" and "convenience" would be fulfill, but would you have fun then ?

Classic RPG design is about playing a role. It is a role playing game.
What is a role but a set of skills only your character, because of their history, culture, job, experience, can do? Why D&D thief can pickpocket and not D&D barbarian? Why can D&D sorcerer intuitively cast spells but D&D magician has to study each morning? Because they are not the same *roles*. Do D&D Magicians cry "it's bullshit! I want to cast spells automatically like sorcerers! whinewhinewhine it's unfair!" ? No. Because they roll with the fantasy of this great student of magic bookworming in libraries all day. While the sorcerer is another fantasy: the blood-instinct magic user.

Only the shaman cows can jesus around because only them are the tribal folk of the great plains of Mulgore. That is perfection RPG design: thematic, odd, unique, wonderful, at the crux of all what the tauren culture means and represents. It is 100% on point. And it creates AWE in the eye of other players when they witness the greatness of the jesus cows. It creates a gamefeel and RP moment no other character can do.

And you want to destroy this emergent pearl of design ?

Manletow
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Manletow » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:09 am

You cannot Ghost Wolf while Water Walking.
You cannot Mount while Water Walking.

It must have been an oversight that Plainsrunning is usable while Water Walking.
Oversights should be fixed.
It is called Water WALKING not Water Sprinting after all.

However I think mounting up should not break the Water Walking buff because that is annoying to have to waste a material reapplying it.
And I think Ghost Wolfs should be able to walk on water.
Paladin is broken in PVP.
Frost Mage is broken in PVP/PVE.
Warrior is awful in PVP.
Feral Druid is mediocre in PVP.
Enhancement Shaman is fine. Stop begging for goofy custom abilities.

Jannus

Post by Jannus » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:11 pm

Lahire wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:57 am
Jannus wrote:
Either make it an all classes/all races sort of thing, or make it so it's not functional in it's current iteration. I don't see why a very specific race/class combo should be only able to pull this trick off
AGAIN and AGAIN this retail way of thinking. What is it with you players ? Why are most of you unable to grasp the principles of classical design though they are simple ? Why do you make the exact same demands that produced retail design in the long run ?

Always the homogeneity, the "balance", the loss of flavour, of roleplay, of themes. Always asking to all have the same grey and tasteless equal tools. Always "i want all the toys now for everyone and without any effort or it's unfair!"

You will only stop when there is only 1 class and 1 race with 1 spell which says "do 3 damage for 3 mana". Then you'll have a perfectly balanced game. Your hunger for "balance" and "convenience" would be fulfill, but would you have fun then ?

What is a role but a set of skills only your character, because of their history, culture, job, experience, can do? Why D&D thief can pickpocket and not D&D barbarian? Why can D&D sorcerer intuitively cast spells but D&D magician has to study each morning? Because they are not the same *roles*. Do D&D Magicians cry "it's bullshit! I want to cast spells automatically like sorcerers! whinewhinewhine it's unfair!" ? No. Because they roll with the fantasy of this great student of magic bookworming in libraries all day. While the sorcerer is another fantasy: the blood-instinct magic user.

Only the shaman cows can jesus around because only them are the tribal folk of the great plains of Mulgore. That is perfection RPG design: thematic, odd, unique, wonderful, at the crux of all what the tauren culture means and represents. It is 100% on point. And it creates AWE in the eye of other players when they witness the greatness of the jesus cows. It creates a gamefeel and RP moment no other character can do.

TL;DR: Lahire confirms in this post that tauren shamans have an unfair advantage over troll and orc shamans - not only can they aoe stun on command and have more health, but they can also run at mounted speeds over bodies of water, a feat no other race or class is capable of.

Shaman111

Post by Shaman111 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:13 pm

and what does this advantage amounts to exactly? how many times youve to cross bodies of water to farm, or do dailies, or pvp, or whatever?

Foobs

Post by Foobs » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:55 pm

Jannus wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:11 pm
Lahire wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:57 am
Jannus wrote:

TL;DR: Lahire confirms in this post that tauren shamans have an unfair advantage over troll and orc shamans - not only can they aoe stun on command and have more health, but they can also run at mounted speeds over bodies of water, a feat no other race or class is capable of.

Not only did the point shoot waaaaaay past over your head, but you didn't even try.

Obviously Jesus cow wronged you in someway and your bias against them is showing.
wary_turtle_head I'm just here for the GM's replies--Carry on!!

Lahire

Post by Lahire » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:27 pm

Jannus wrote:

Try at least to disguise your bad faith ; it sounds like an insult when one just blatantly lies to one's face.

Jannus

Post by Jannus » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:52 pm

Lahire wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:27 pm
Jannus wrote:

Try at least to disguise your bad faith ; it sounds like an insult when one just blatantly lies to one's face.
Okay, if I'm doing this in bad faith, then you are gatekeeping this unintended/overlooked combination of two mechanics so only taurens can have it and no one else can.
Now that I have completely constructed a strawman out of your argument just like you have done with mine, can we actually discuss this or are we going with the "lol ur wrong because I'm always right" route?