What new weapon skills would be interesting to add to classes? How would they change meta?

Syrathegreat

What new weapon skills would be interesting to add to classes? How would they change meta?

Post by Syrathegreat » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:48 pm

Hey guys, was wondering what you all reckon would be interesting weapon skills to add to different classes? The classic one of course is Rogue Axes but what else could be exciting?

Personally I think Paladins with Staves would be really interesting - like a warrior cleric archetype. Would be interesting for gearing too!

What about you guys?
Juniper <Gnomish Cosmonaut Corps> - Hunter | Gnome | 54 | War Mode | S&S
Kyra - Warrior | Night Elf | 25 | HC | S&S | Lorekeeper
Kolgra - Warrior | Orc | 31 | War Mode | S&S
Merry - Paladin | Dwarf | 29 | HC

Kefke

Re: What new weapon skills would be interesting to add to classes? How would they change meta?

Post by Kefke » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:43 pm

Polearms for Mages & Priests. For what is a spear, but a staff with a particularly sharp ornament on it?

Icedtea12

Re: What new weapon skills would be interesting to add to classes? How would they change meta?

Post by Icedtea12 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:36 am

Shields for priests?
Dual Pistols for Hunters and one pistol for Rogues
More fist weapons for druids.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:24 am

After giving it a bit more thought, I feel like classes that give up their ranged slot should still have the option of learning at least one ranged as an alternative. Sure, they might suffer for the loss of their special class items, but there are times where not having a range option can greatly hamper a class. For instance, Paladin has some attractive options for tanking, but lacks a good option to pull targets from far away. They basically have to rely on someone else to start the pull, and then try to take aggro, whereas a Warrior can just pull themselves. Having the option to use a ranged weapon would let a Paladin pick out targets that wouldn't be safe to approach, or LoS casters, without having to rely on anyone else getting close, making actually using those tanking options a bit more viable.

Zulnam

Post by Zulnam » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 am

Staves for paladins would be nice and would definitely open the door to more character customisation, especially for Holy.

I'd also love if paladins and shamans could use some ranged weapons, at max 150 skill point. This is more for RP purposes than anything, but it would also open the door for a bit of stat tweaking for the min maxers.

But the easiest win with minimal changes, a low hanging fruit if you will, would be to make throwable weapons be worth a damn. I'm not sure how that would look; an easy fix is to just remove the ammo component from them. Everything else is there:
- animation
- implementation with classes
- objects in-game
- implementation with world (trainers, vendors etc.)

Would need to add more items to the loot tables, a few blue/purple throwables in dungeons/raids. But it would also mean that Troll Axe Throwers can finally be a thing.

Totuga

Post by Totuga » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 am

Last edited by Totuga on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Syrathegreat

Post by Syrathegreat » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 pm

Zulnam wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 am
But the easiest win with minimal changes, a low hanging fruit if you will, would be to make throwable weapons be worth a damn. I'm not sure how that would look; an easy fix is to just remove the ammo component from them. Everything else is there:
- animation
- implementation with classes
- objects in-game
- implementation with world (trainers, vendors etc.)

Would need to add more items to the loot tables, a few blue/purple throwables in dungeons/raids. But it would also mean that Troll Axe Throwers can finally be a thing.
Honestly I keep forgetting thrown weapons exist...

Definitely though it would be awesome to have some use to them - especially for rogues it's so thematic!

Kefke wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:24 am
After giving it a bit more thought, I feel like classes that give up their ranged slot should still have the option of learning at least one ranged as an alternative. Sure, they might suffer for the loss of their special class items, but there are times where not having a range option can greatly hamper a class. For instance, Paladin has some attractive options for tanking, but lacks a good option to pull targets from far away. They basically have to rely on someone else to start the pull, and then try to take aggro, whereas a Warrior can just pull themselves. Having the option to use a ranged weapon would let a Paladin pick out targets that wouldn't be safe to approach, or LoS casters, without having to rely on anyone else getting close, making actually using those tanking options a bit more viable.
Yeah 100%, plus there's a lot of "Holy Archer" archetypes in other fantasy worlds, like Sebastian Vael from Dragon Age 2.

Syrathegreat

Post by Syrathegreat » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:21 pm

I was just thinking too about the Priestesses of the Moon from Warcraft 3 too since they're all archers. I know there's definitely a lot of RPers who would love to fully embody these characters

I don't think adding bows to priests would work at all however. Doesn't really work with the class design or aesthetics tbh.
If they added Night Elf paladins though, maybe? Although I know there's a lot of debate around that.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:00 pm

Syrathegreat wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:21 pm
I was just thinking too about the Priestesses of the Moon from Warcraft 3 too since they're all archers. I know there's definitely a lot of RPers who would love to fully embody these characters

I don't think adding bows to priests would work at all however. Doesn't really work with the class design or aesthetics tbh.
If they added Night Elf paladins though, maybe? Although I know there's a lot of debate around that.
If you want to play a Priestess of the Moon, you're honestly better off making a female Night Elf Hunter rather than a Priest.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:15 pm

Kefke wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:24 am
Just use those Magic Candles that dropped by Elwynn Kobold Geomancers like the rest of the paladins? There's always an option to use Linken's Boomerang.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Syrathegreat

Post by Syrathegreat » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:59 pm

Been playing a druid lately and I think Druids should get wands and axes.

Wands would just add another piece to their toolkit, especially if you want to be more caster while levelling, and would make sense since they're mostly sticks and some of them even have nature damage.

Axes would just add more variety for gearing and make almost more sense in lore than maces and daggers since we have Broxigar's Axe of Cenarius - druids obviously have no aversion to axes since this was crafted by Malfurion under the direction of Cenarius using druidic magic. It was actually considered for Arms Warriors as their Artifact Weapon in Legion but was deemed too druid-y and nature themed for the class.

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:19 pm

1H axes to rogues.
Staves given to paladins and taken away from warriors.
Polearms to druids.
Bucklers as rogue and warrior offhand, which would be a small shield with a high parry % innate bonus instead of block, and it'd have no armor bonus. It'd have offensive stats generally. Alternatively parrying daggers could work just as well.

Etarpylon

Post by Etarpylon » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:50 am

I personally think Paladins should use Fist Weapons, if they can't already. I would like to see some sort of pseudo-"Monk" thing going on, but Priests are in no position to melee so while I would give them Fist Weapons, too, I don't expect many Priest-ly Fist Weapons to be designed (though I could give some a shot).